Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

4 hours ago, Vomikron Noxis said:

@Shaft interested in your thoughts on the Tallyband generally, and forgot to tag you before! I’m thinking of trying this list:

Allegiance: Nurgle
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Trait: Pestilent Breath  
- Artefact: The Endless Gift  
- Lore of Virulence: Sumptuous Pestilence
Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)
- Artefact: Tome of a Thousand Poxes  
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)
6 x Plague Drones (400)
Tallyband of Nurgle (220)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 126

Any thoughts from anyone? 

First of all I need to know how you want to equip the GUO. In this sort of list i will go with Bell and Flail. With so many Plaguebearer you surely need as much mobility as possible.

The only thing that i don't like to much is the poor number of units. Surely you will be a rock with 2x30 Plaguebearer but I prefer the 30+10+10 and adding another unit of Drones. More mobility and the possibility to split your army far better. This is the only change i will absolutely made.

In fact I was thinking about the 6x Drones configurations: you surely got all the benefits from the GUO but i found so difficult going in contact with more than 2 Drones in most situation... you can be upset seeing half of your unit out hth combat when they have +2 attacks each. But that was situational, depending how you fill the board with terrains and which opponent you match. As I say before i was thinking about it... but I still haven't find an answer. Take some test and make reports! GUO + 6 Drones deserve a try! :)

What I can surely say is that without Rotigus you lose the Combo Diluge+6th Cycle stage which I find essential to kill opponents buffing heroes. After saying that I must admit you gain so much in your centerpiece resilient and in buffing your unit both in mobility and offensive power.

What can I say? Try it and share the results. :)

1 hour ago, annarborhawk said:

I don't know nothing. But it seems to me like you need at least one non-daemon wizard at a minimum so you can cast Blades of Putrification.  Daemons can't do it, and it seems to me if you want the Drones to be a hammer you need those 6's to be mortal wounds.  The GUO command ability and locus for the Drones adds 2 attacks to EACH of their weapon profiles.  That's what can make them hit hard.  So you need a daemon hero who can keep up with them as well.  I'm thinking Lord of Afflication myself, but other seem to think Harbinger (cheaper), Deamon prince,  or even the snail.  Anyway, the key to the drones, IMO, is the double-buff from the locus and GUO combined with blades of putrid.   Just my semi-informed 2 cents(or pence for you guy across the pond).   

Adding any mortal Hero would erase the biggest advantage of the list: the mono-drop. I think the Tally only had sense to be played if you got that tactical advantage. Without it is just a costly formation with poor bonus and a mixed rotbringers-deamon army will work better.

What is really strong (analyzing the single units) in that list are the GUO and the 30 Plaguebearer. The Tally doesn't work on deploying the Tome's best unit but focusing on some aspects of the game in wich a Nurgle Tally ecxel: play safe and concentrate on mission obj, fill the board, resist and made (low) damage only where is truly necessary.

If you prefer an "all around" style or you like to chose the "best units you can", there are many better configuration mixing mortals and deamon. 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So based off of the great discussion on the new Battletome some good things seems to have emerged.

GUO w. bell & blade - For movement & casting benefits
30 Plaguebearers - For resillient objectiveholders & screening
Plague Drones - With Hero nearby and GUO buff + the Blades spell.
Gutrot Spume - For outflanking Blightkings
Blightkings - Got cheaper & tougher

So based off of these observations, I was wondering if putting it all together would be like ice cream on pizza where two good things together ruin both?

Great Unclean One (340)
Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)
Gutrot Spume (140)
Lord of Afflictions (220)
Sorcerer (120)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
6 x Plague Drones (400)

Total: 1980 / 2000

6 minutes ago, Spiky Norman said:

So based off of these observations, I was wondering if putting it all together would be like ice cream on pizza where two good things together ruin both?

List looks great, highly approve, still not a huge fan of the Sacrificial Blade but those who want to use it, go for it!

The only thing I can comment on to in my eyes improve the list is the following:

- dorp Lord of Afflictions, get a Daemon Prince of Nurgle instead. I feel the Daemon Prince has the exact same job as the Lord of Afflicitions, isn't that much worse but a whole lot cheaper and cheap Heroes are very welcome in the otherwise expensive army of Nurgle. (opens up 80 points)
- thake a Nurgle Chaos Chariot for silly fast objective capturing purposes.

Other things to consider with the open 80 points is to drop the Poxbringer for another unit of 3 Drones or upgrade the Rotbringer unit that comes with Gutrot to 10.
Thing is really that I believe the list is great as is, the GUO will go on and about with the Plaguebearer swarm in front of him. Rest follows up nicely.
Also feel free to share your GUO build in terms of Command Trait and Artefact.

On 21/02/2018 at 2:44 PM, Locien83 said:

I have been looking at maybe just using converted Gors instead as marauder proxies, I know it probably wouldn't be accepted at a lot of tournaments but I like the Gor models and they fit the current AoS fluff as a lot of the books have Rotbringer armies supported by beastmen.

Beastmen look amazing stood next to Blightkings. With all the horns and antlers they share they both have that, scary things that haunt the woods, sort of vibe! I really wish they would just give Gors and Ungors the Option of the Nurgle Keyword, like you said Nurgle worshipping Beastmen were mentioned and pictured a lot in the Realmgate Wars books.

33 minutes ago, Percivael said:

Beastmen look amazing stood next to Blightkings. With all the horns and antlers they share they both have that, scary things that haunt the woods, sort of vibe! I really wish they would just give Gors and Ungors the Option of the Nurgle Keyword, like you said Nurgle worshipping Beastmen were mentioned and pictured a lot in the Realmgate Wars books.

Yeah exactly, I like the models so much more than the standard chaos marauders.

my only worry would be that I wouldn’t be able to use them at events/tournaments as strictly speaking even converted they would still be Gor models

1 hour ago, Locien83 said:

Yeah exactly, I like the models so much more than the standard chaos marauders.

my only worry would be that I wouldn’t be able to use them at events/tournaments as strictly speaking even converted they would still be Gor models

You’ve inspired me though to be honest. I might look at doing some sort of Beastmen with some human heads and other parts to use as a proxy marauders - a sort of degenerate Nurgle worshipping human tribe fallen to interbreeding with Gors! 

1 hour ago, Percivael said:

You’ve inspired me though to be honest. I might look at doing some sort of Beastmen with some human heads and other parts to use as a proxy marauders - a sort of degenerate Nurgle worshipping human tribe fallen to interbreeding with Gors! 

I wondered whether human heads could work to make them more marauder... that or maybe even Plaguebearer bits

3 hours ago, Killax said:

List looks great, highly approve, still not a huge fan of the Sacrificial Blade but those who want to use it, go for it!

The only thing I can comment on to in my eyes improve the list is the following:

- dorp Lord of Afflictions, get a Daemon Prince of Nurgle instead. I feel the Daemon Prince has the exact same job as the Lord of Afflicitions, isn't that much worse but a whole lot cheaper and cheap Heroes are very welcome in the otherwise expensive army of Nurgle. (opens up 80 points)
- thake a Nurgle Chaos Chariot for silly fast objective capturing purposes.

Other things to consider with the open 80 points is to drop the Poxbringer for another unit of 3 Drones or upgrade the Rotbringer unit that comes with Gutrot to 10.
Thing is really that I believe the list is great as is, the GUO will go on and about with the Plaguebearer swarm in front of him. Rest follows up nicely.
Also feel free to share your GUO build in terms of Command Trait and Artefact.

Dropping the Lord of Affliction for a Daemon Prince would be easy (and cheaper) for me as I already have a Daemon Prince painted up. The extra points that saves, opens up for a lot of different options I think. Your suggestions of the chariot or open up extra points for more Blightkings or Drones are good.
If the core is  the following:

Great Unclean One (340)
Gutrot Spume (140)
Sorcerer (120)
Daemon Prince of Nurgle (160)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
6 x Plague Drones (400)
1800pts

...then based on your suggestions I am considering the following for the last 200pts:
Gigantic Chaos Spawn (180) -Already have one painted
Poxbringer + Plague Priest w. plague censer (120+80) -Already have a Poxbringer painted
Blightkings (160) -Would leave 40pts hanging
Plague drones (200) - A pain to transport more :-)

In terms of Command Trait and Artefacts, I was thinking simply to pick Grand Fathers Blessing and either the Witherstave on the GUO or Prince, or the Rustblade on the Prince.

Any suggestions on what's best?

You seem good to go, lots of options to tool around with those 200 last points, they are all good choices in my opinion. I do like to see it fleshed out with more Plague Drones but really think a Poxbringer and Chariot is not a bad plan either. As before the speed that piece has with Blight Trees and such is really floating around 15" and then have the option to charge aswell (maby). This can be an interesting tool to use against small oppossing units/pieces.

I think that GFB and Witherstave are great for the GUO. I also really like Pestilent Breath and Tome, nothing is really the best because it boils down a bit to player preforance/style. Do think that if you add Pestilent Breath that the GUO at least is a personal hazard against a blob of infantry and to me this is very relevant the moment you go for the Dagger. 

1 hour ago, Spiky Norman said:

Dropping the Lord of Affliction for a Daemon Prince would be easy (and cheaper) for me as I already have a Daemon Prince painted up. The extra points that saves, opens up for a lot of different options I think. Your suggestions of the chariot or open up extra points for more Blightkings or Drones are good.
If the core is  the following:

...then based on your suggestions I am considering the following for the last 200pts:
Gigantic Chaos Spawn (180) -Already have one painted
Poxbringer + Plague Priest w. plague censer (120+80) -Already have a Poxbringer painted
Blightkings (160) -Would leave 40pts hanging
Plague drones (200) - A pain to transport more :-)

In terms of Command Trait and Artefacts, I was thinking simply to pick Grand Fathers Blessing and either the Witherstave on the GUO or Prince, or the Rustblade on the Prince.

Any suggestions on what's best?

Most seem to like pestilens breathe. I vastly prefer the grandfathers blessing. Also endless gift should always be on GUO. It's a "staunch defender" unless you have a gimmick or build to exaggerate with a particular item.

I had a game against a friend last night. He ran a tzeentch list I have never seen before. 

6 enlightened, shaman, 2 magister, 30 tzzangors, and 2 units of 30 acolytes. Had a batallion that let the acolytes shoot in hero phase. So 120 shots a turn.  Seemed scary! But I used gutrot and ten kings to divert his attention with one unit. It worked he drew the enlightened and 30 acolytes over and kept them there all game. 

Marauders brought there lunch boxes and did some serious work. One turn they got blades put on them, glotkin doubled their attacks and charged the tzzangors. Got barbarian hordes roll (+1 to hit). So 60 attacks with mortals on 5s. Took out about a third of the unit. Bloab had cast miasma on them so got an extra 3d3 mortals. He conceded turn 3. 

He was nice enough to do a quick rundown with me of my list in prep for adepticon. He suggested dropping bloab for 14 warriors. While he is good, has a debuff and a very powerful and unique spell.. he is rather costly and fragile. Also his debuff works in the hero phase which means he would have had to survive a combat or have units in front that took a charge.. reduces the times it actually works and it's still only 50:50. 

We both bought having another solid book of warriors would give me more tactical flexibility. I also found myself not wanting to cast favoured poxes because it would take away the plaguetouched warband special rule if I debuffed the wound rolls! 

So if I remove bloab and poxbringer that's 380 points. Adding 15 warriors is 270 ... that leaves a very odd 110 points to fill. So what nurglings? Wish I had that 10 points for 10 plaguebearers. I would probably summon them to keep the one drop. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Could also drop the rotbringer sorcerer I had for an addition 120 pints to play with. But would have only glotkin as caster at that point..so not ideal. 

@Spikey Norman

Last night I pretty much came to the same list you first posted.  Only difference is why not take Festus instead of sorcerer with the left-over 20 pts.   He can take blades of Putrification though named, right?  Also i see the point of prince over LOA, but I think I like the model too much.  Hate to get blinded like that, but there it is.

23 hours ago, shadowgra said:

Playing glottkin against kunnin rukk is a suicide! xD

Give the Herald poxes or affliction, he doesn't want to be 7" close to the enemy

yea i see your points there thanks, how about this one as a good list to go up against rukk? also is rustfang worth it? and i cant see what is so bad about festus giving -1 save to a unit for the rest of the battle? this i the new list...

Leaders

Lord of Blights (140)
- General
- Command Trait : Grandfather's Blessing
- Artefact : Rustfang

- Artefact : The Witherstave
- Lore of Virulence : Glorious Afflictions
Festus The Leechlord (140)
- Lore of Malignance : Blades of Putrefaction
Gutrot Spume (140)
Units
6 x Plague Drones (400)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10x Putrid Blightkings (320)
Battalions
Plague Cyst (220)
Total: 1960 / 2000

23 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos-warscroll-festus-the-leechlord-en.pdf

Also yeah you can consider that glotkin dead turn one with a kunnin rukk. Leave him home for that game.

thanks for that yea i will not be using glotkin now. i dont see whats bad about festus' spell? -1 to save for a unit for the rest of the game seems pretty good? also does that stack with rustfang still?

22 minutes ago, josh1989 said:

yea i see your points there thanks, how about this one as a good list to go up against rukk? also is rustfang worth it? and i cant see what is so bad about festus giving -1 save to a unit for the rest of the battle? this i the new list...

Leaders

Lord of Blights (140)
- General

Gutrot Spume (140)
Units
6 x Plague Drones (400)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10x Putrid Blightkings (320)
Battalions
Plague Cyst (220)

Drones without a Nurgle daemon hero that can keep their movement are way weaker. You are also missing 1 unit of BK for the cyst.

12 minutes ago, shadowgra said:

Drones without a Nurgle daemon hero that can keep their movement are way weaker. You are also missing 1 unit of BK for the cyst.

ah yea sorry so it should be this, also i see your point there. I think this will work for now as the move is only 3" less and they can be within 7" to get the buff and as im only using 1 daemon hero i need him to stay near the PB anyway (and we play on 6x4 at the local club i go to so not a big). But ill get a Harbinger of Decay so that it can keep up with them and leave the poxbringer with the PB's in the future. this list is specifically targeting a match against rukk. also is it worth it to bring festus and rustfang? do they stack?

Leaders

Lord of Blights (140)
- General

Gutrot Spume (140)
Units
6 x Plague Drones (400)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
Battalions
Plague Cyst (220)

59 minutes ago, annarborhawk said:

@Spikey Norman

Last night I pretty much came to the same list you first posted.  Only difference is why not take Festus instead of sorcerer with the left-over 20 pts.   He can take blades of Putrification though named, right?  Also i see the point of prince over LOA, but I think I like the model too much.  Hate to get blinded like that, but there it is.

The only reason to take sorcerer over festus is so he can have the muttergrub for an extra cast. Basically a free foul regenesis cast without taking away another spell from your hero phase.

Well if you are trying to deal with bonesplitter i think that you are basing yourself on a bad start. Cyst is going to negate what, a 6+ save? Is that worth to bring rustfang against an army with such a low save? 

For me i would go with drones backed up by loa. Witherstave is mandatory to make him reroll and you can put it on loa.

29 minutes ago, shadowgra said:

Well if you are trying to deal with bonesplitter i think that you are basing yourself on a bad start. Cyst is going to negate what, a 6+ save? Is that worth to bring rustfang against an army with such a low save? 

For me i would go with drones backed up by loa. Witherstave is mandatory to make him reroll and you can put it on loa.

ok thanks for the help it is just to try and get a decent match up against bonsplitterz or id be running gotkin, yep i think your right there not much point in the blight cyst. so in its place i think i would prefer the harbinger of decay with 7" move to buff drones and use his command ability to give the extra save. i could also then afford a plague priest for wither? sounds better to me than LoA. What do you think?

11 minutes ago, shadowgra said:

drones are not mortals so they do not benefit of harbinger's 5++ save. a loa is a better backup for drones also, but harbinger is a good pick as general

ahh yep i see. OK thanks for the help there. ill post how it goes, Seems the harbinger is better at staying with the kings to give them the 5+ save. also  wither on a unit in combat with the blightkings makes those extra hits wound more too

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

The only reason to take sorcerer over festus is so he can have the muttergrub for an extra cast. Basically a free foul regenesis cast without taking away another spell from your hero phase.

Hmm.  I'm loathe to use up the artifact on a sorcerer. I think i want it for the GUO or LoA.  So many legit wats to go.......  that and i think foul regenesis is important enough to merit the GUO cutting himself.   ??

Someone tried to tell me at the shop today that I can't use the plaguetouched warband And still have the nurgle allegiance because the plaguetouched warband has the ever chosen keyword...therefore all my warscroll woldnt have he nurgle keyword...

I didnt have n answer for him. Is this true???? 

Archived