Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

9 minutes ago, hellalugosi said:

so i just started building some nurglr lists for fun on azyr, and ive noticed that there are way more named heroes than there are generic heroes. as much as i like morbidex and the others, i think its kind of a missed opportunity for them not to allow the maggoth lords kit to having te ability to assemble a chaos lord on maggoth, chaos sorceror lord on maggoth, and herald of nurgle on maggoth from that. anyone else feel the same?

Yep, I completely agree.

In general, I prefer to not use named characters, as it just feels wrong when they get killed in games over and over. Plus I like to impose my own narrative on my army, and it makes it harder if I'm locked in with the named characters, so I really prefer to have generic versions of named characters. That way we can use their rules but not have to all be running the same named characters in our armies. :-)

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 26/08/2017 at 8:15 PM, shadowgra said:

Imho the battletome will follow, if i remember right there are no artefact or command trait in the blightwar box

That sucks but I think you're right. The Blightwar description says "Allegiance Abilities – battle traits that characterise the 2 opposing armies, to be used in games;"

It doesn't mention artefacts or command abilities, which also fall under "allegiance abilities".

Seems like we have to wait for the Nurgle Rotbringers battletome for full rules :(

Personally i would do this:

Tallyband 200

Exalted 500

Sorcerer on manticore 200

30 plaguebearers 270

30 plaguebearers 270

10 plaguebearers 100

1 beast of Nurgle 60

1 beast of Nurgle 60

3 drones 220

120 points for summoning

Tanky and you are good to go ;)

18 hours ago, hellalugosi said:

so i just started building some nurglr lists for fun on azyr, and ive noticed that there are way more named heroes than there are generic heroes. as much as i like morbidex and the others, i think its kind of a missed opportunity for them not to allow the maggoth lords kit to having te ability to assemble a chaos lord on maggoth, chaos sorceror lord on maggoth, and herald of nurgle on maggoth from that. anyone else feel the same?

I agree as well. If nothing else it would have been cool if there could be some kind of non-named Maggoth rider, or some kind of additional Nurgle monster that the Glottkin could make. Personally I feel they shrink the setting of the game a bit. Their showing up to battle after battle feels uncompelling to me and boxes in the story too much. Its like the opposite of when players make up their own character names or whatever to add to the narrative. This is what chased me away from Warmachine, which is otherwise a great game. Special characters are a set of nice rules in a limited package in game terms, some folks really like having this well developed character in their army too, so each to their own obviously. I'm not mad they are around, they just aren't my thing. 

So Chaos allegiance abilities, command traits, and magic items stay mostly the same, meaning there's a few +1 to hit abilities. Unless nurgle allegiance gives that particular ability, I think Blight King focused armies will do better with generic chaos allegiance than with the nurgle allegiance (their attacks are begging for a +1 to hit bonus). 

44 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

So you will take a 15% chance at +1 to hit, over seven different nurgle focused abilities, that cycle regularly and predictably...Lol k.

No, I'll take +1 to hit (for basically the entire army) against order and 2/3 chance at +1 to hit (for one unit) against everyone else over a bunch of benefits that change every turn (predictably for both you any your opponent). If you roll the 6 for another +1 to hit, you hit the lottery with exploding attacks on a 4+.

idk how i feel about new nurgle, have 2k of mortal nurgle sitting there and random unpredictable stuff although fitting makes me want something thats a little more predictable and reliable

mainly wanting it to be my efficient tournament army :(

Something i've noticed in a few posts previous. People are using the exalted demon of nurgle for the GUO in their tallybands. While the greater exalted does have the 'great unclean one' keyword, the battalions GUO requirement isn't in bold. I was under the impression that this meant it was requiring a model named great unclean one, not a model with the keyword.

3 hours ago, robotnik_taco said:

Something i've noticed in a few posts previous. People are using the exalted demon of nurgle for the GUO in their tallybands. While the greater exalted does have the 'great unclean one' keyword, the battalions GUO requirement isn't in bold. I was under the impression that this meant it was requiring a model named great unclean one, not a model with the keyword.

I think people are assuming it is going to get updated, whether it will or not.  

For those concerned about the randomness, I suspect that we'll get the option in our character traits of adjusting the starting point (at least by 1 up or down, possibly being able to pick the starting point).  I think we just have to wait and see how functional it will be with the full suite of traits and items.

20 hours ago, decker_cky said:

No, I'll take +1 to hit (for basically the entire army) against order and 2/3 chance at +1 to hit (for one unit) against everyone else over a bunch of benefits that change every turn (predictably for both you any your opponent). If you roll the 6 for another +1 to hit, you hit the lottery with exploding attacks on a 4+.

So you went from comparing battle traits to command traits....I never once was talking about command traits because those are not included in blightwar from what we know now. We were discussing "cycle of corruption" vs "unpredictable destruction." You cannot possibly think 15% chance at +1 to hit witchin 12" of general is better than the SINGLE stage of corruption that was revealed (all nurgle units get healed d3). That's already better than UD, and it's only 1/7!

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

So you went from comparing battle traits to command traits....I never once was talking about command traits because those are not included in blightwar from what we know now. We were discussing "cycle of corruption" vs "unpredictable destruction." You cannot possibly think 15% chance at +1 to hit witchin 12" of general is better than the SINGLE stage of corruption that was revealed (all nurgle units get healed d3). That's already better than UD, and it's only 1/7!

They all come in a basket together. There's a handful of allegiance traits, and from what we know, there's nurgle's wheel vs chaos' battle trait, command traits, and magic items. I'm saying chaos is a clear winner. 

Gotta say that I love the new changes for the GHB 2 and AOS in general but sometimes I get the feeling that GWs selling strategy is more about finding new ways to sell older models than to design new ones. To my knowledge the Mournghoul was the first example of a model that wasn't selling well untill they turned its warscroll into the massive killer it was until now. 

And here we go again if no new beasts are coming it could appear like the snail was designed mainly to sell more old beast models. 

Not trying to sound sour it just seem a little cheesy.

But I guess they gotta make a living. 

Gotta say that I love the new changes for the GHB 2 and AOS in general but sometimes I get the feeling that GWs selling strategy is more about finding new ways to sell older models than to design new ones. To my knowledge the Mournghoul was the first example of a model that wasn't selling well untill they turned its warscroll into the massive killer it was until now. 
And here we go again if no new beasts are coming it could appear like the snail was designed mainly to sell more old beast models. 
Not trying to sound sour it just seem a little cheesy.
But I guess they gotta make a living. 
I'm just hoping the new models come out, but with 40k where you have these pictures of mortarion with so many new models teased in the pictures it seems odd for them to not use this opportunity here.

Worse case I'm going to convert something, at least it's a vague idea that leaves the opportunities for that quite open

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Im also hoping that maybe the new eggs/boils rumour image is from a new beast. From what I read somewhere drones are supposed to be angry and neglected beasts turned into flies so any kind of catterpillar or Maggot would be very suitiable for a beast model. 

9 hours ago, Thomas Lyons said:

I think people are assuming it is going to get updated, whether it will or not.  

For those concerned about the randomness, I suspect that we'll get the option in our character traits of adjusting the starting point (at least by 1 up or down, possibly being able to pick the starting point).  I think we just have to wait and see how functional it will be with the full suite of traits and items.

Im curious if the changes are appealing or off putting for your nurgle army Tom? Your lists still work with drops to Sayl & Belakor @400pts

i suppose it really depends on changes & traits in the upcoming book.

At least my nighthaunt army looks really fun & mobile now (just need to work out skellies or zombies as allies :P)

Archived