Axes or Glaives?

Malin

Hi fellow Chaos worshipers,

Today I have a question for you, which option do you choose to go with for your Knights and Skullcrushers: Axes/Ensorcelled Weapons or Glaives?

I am to assemble those models soon and was wondering what to choose. My initial thought was to go with Glaives for Knights and Axes for Skullcrushers.

Waiting eagerly for your pinion on this topic.

Regards

Malin

I've been using a unit of five with Axes/Ensorcelled Weapons and found them fairly toothless. No better than chaos warriors on foot but without the numbers. I'm not ready to swap them over to glaves yet but I'm thinking about it. Not sure if they have been less than stellar because they have the wrong weapons or if the unit is too small.

16 hours ago, Knight of Ruin said:

I only use knights, and indeed use glaives. Double damage and the rend are powerful tools i otherwise lack.

Agreed. I think the perks that they get on the charge outweigh the loss of 1 attack with the Ensorcelled Weapons (Since the to-hit, to-wound work out equivalent anyway).

The threat of the rend and damage is just too good to pass up I think. It also presents interesting tactical options later on as to whether you retreat from a combat to get your charge bonus again (To date, I haven't done it but an interesting thought none the less).

• 1 month later...

Here's the math - these values are total wounds caused against 5 targets with their full attacks.  So, with a glaive 2 against "-" armor, 2 against 6+, 2 against 5+, etc.

Glaive (charge) : 		5.33 wounds
Glaive: 			2.22 wounds
Ensorcelled Weapon: 		3.33 wounds
Ensorcelled Weapon (Fatesworn): 4.00 wounds

I run fatesworn so I see no desire to switch to glaives at the moment.  Obviously those don't apply here, but you may want to consider other bonuses if they are present.

Ensorcelled is 50% better than glaives normally, but glaives are 60% better on the charge.  Assuming 3 rounds of combat ensorcelled produce ~10 wounds.  Glaives produce 6.7 plus 3.1 for every charge.  This would mean 1 charge is required to meet similar output.  This gap becomes harder to overcome with more rounds of combat.

But the real meat is on breaking a unit's bravery.

51 minutes ago, daedalus81 said:

Here's the math - these values are total wounds caused against 5 targets with their full attacks.  So, with a glaive 2 against "-" armor, 2 against 6+, 2 against 5+, etc.

Glaive (charge) : 		5.33 wounds
Glaive: 			2.22 wounds
Ensorcelled Weapon: 		3.33 wounds
Ensorcelled Weapon (Fatesworn): 4.00 wounds

I run fatesworn so I see no desire to switch to glaives at the moment.  Obviously those don't apply here, but you may want to consider other bonuses if they are present.

Ensorcelled is 50% better than glaives normally, but glaives are 60% better on the charge.  Assuming 3 rounds of combat ensorcelled produce ~10 wounds.  Glaives produce 6.7 plus 3.1 for every charge.  This would mean 1 charge is required to meet similar output.  This gap becomes harder to overcome with more rounds of combat.

But the real meat is on breaking a unit's bravery.

Did you do any math for glaive while fatesworn?

The wound outlook will also be better, as until we get battle allegiance traits we will get a 1 in 6 chance ( ill be using the great destroyer trait so 1/3 for myself. for +1 to hit when we attack ) for being chaos. 

though i did read that theyre coming out also on saturday. 

I purely use glaives as khorne (and nurgle especially) dont have that many sources for rend. If k sant more attacks there are other units to look at. For me knights are a fast unit i can let attack weaker units or attack flanks with. I dont use them as a battleline unit or as part of the anvil. 

Archived