New to AoS - low model count 2000 pts?

TallPaul

Long time wargamer here and previous Warhammer player.  I have been hearing great feedback about AoS.

I am a fairly slow painter, so I am looking for an army that can play relatively low model count (comparatively).  

I want to avoid Stormcast, as I don't love the models as much as others.  All of the other models are great.  Also looking for something that is decent on the table, but not necessarily top tournament filth.

Can I get some input about lower model count lists?  I am looking for something 30-60 models (maybe a bit more).  Are there armies like that?

I have seen a lot about Beastclaw Raiders, but do they really struggle with scenario play?

Input is truly appreciated. 

Pure Beastclaw isn't common. Their battleline filler isn't awesome but they have access to goblins and savage orcs in wider destruction. 

Death can be played very elite with vampires, mournguls and deathlords. 

Sylvaneth make very compact armies with treelords and kurnoth hunters doing the brunt of the work. 

My current army is a Beastclaw/Ogor combo and I find it's loads of fun. It can do scenario stuff as well as smoosh things into a red paste. My list is below and is only 21 models! You do need to think about what you are doing and it's not just mindless violence (well assuming you want to win your game it's not)

Leaders

Frostlord on Stonehorn - General with Bellowing Tyrant

Frostlord on Stonehorn - with Battlebrew

Huskard on Thundertusk - with Blood Vulture

Units

Ogors x 9 - with Crusher, Bellower & Icon Bearer with Tribal Banner

Ogors x 6 - with Crusher, Bellower & Icon Bearer with Tribal Banner

Ogors x 3 - with Crusher, Bellower & Icon Bearer with Tribal Banner

For Death, a Deathlords army can be teeny-tiny. Your Mortarch leader will be in the 300-400-odd points range, and your Battleline are 240pts for two, so you can have a 900pt or so force together with just 5 models, i.e., two squads of Morghasts and Mannfred.

Alternatively, there's Soulblight vampires. I personally ran a 1000pt list at a local doubles tournie yesterday with 2x5 Blood Knights and a Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon. Blood Knights are pricy, but there's plenty of options for converting yourself suitable surrogates cheaper if you've got the time and inclination for it.

It is a tricky matter, low model numer can not nessery be easy to paint. Gaz Taylor  mentioned Beastclaw it has small numer of models yes but they are big. And big is a lot of painting hours to finish.

I would suggest someting that has lots of things you can spry or airbrush. My go would be Stormcast, Ironjawz or Duardin.

@Criti beat me to what I was coming here to say.

The only difference being is I was going to suggest the newer 100pt Gaunt Summoner on foot, drop the Balewind Vortex (less to paint) and use the battalion that allows you to check the priority roll.

@Bananaman used this at Sheffield Slaughter this weekend. Said it was fun but struggles in some of the battleplans due to it's low model count (kill 2 Varanguard and it can't major in Take & Hold).

I'm currently doing a deathlords army -

Allegiance: Death

Leaders
Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (340)
Mannfred Mortarch Of Night (460)

Battleline
4 x Morghast Archai (480)
-  Deathlords Battleline
2 x Morghast Archai (240)
-  Deathlords Battleline
2 x Morghast Archai (240)
-  Deathlords Battleline

Units

Total: 1760/2000

You could run a more risky list with just Arkhan - but currently I think he's liable to get shot off the table. This gives you 240 points for summoning which is either - Morghasts Harbingers to alpha strike a threat; spirit hosts; zombies or cairn wraiths.

Morghasts are suprisingly ok to paint. Disclaimer - I got my mortarchs comission painted because I would not do them justice! 

Edited to add: small armies are not strong at the moment - they suffer from being shot at and lacking the numbers to secure objectives - so don't expect to win any tournaments; but it does feel good to play with something that's all painted and who cares about winning stuff anyway

Archived