Learning Something New Every Day - Shooting

Criti

I don't know how I never noticed this before,  but reading the Vanguard Raptors' warscroll led me back to the core rules re: shooting.  Feel free to point out that I'm late to the party if everyone already realized this.. 

You can target multiple units with a single unit's shooting attacks.  The rules for Shooting refer you to the Attacking section, and the rules for Attacking specify that hit pick target units for the attack.  Not unit. 

Screenshot_20170219-230348.png.96af7b1bc5899b0fc99e6e56a8c39942.png

Screenshot_20170219-230335.png.86bda52e5a8bf97a37da16d7579f3690.png

Got that big unit of 30 Handgunners and 2 tasty targets? Go ahead and pump 15 shots into each.  Have 3 enemy targets all reduced to a single Wound?  Have that Knight Venator take 1 shot at each one and clear the board. 

It must have been a hold over from the days of old,  but somehow my mind just never clicked it.  Nor did it ever come up in any game I've played or any video bat rep I've watched. 

5 hours ago, Criti said:

Feel free to point out that I'm late to the party if everyone already realized this.. 

You're late to the party! ;) j/k

It is definitely a useful tool, but much like splitting attacks in combat, do take care. As @jamierk says, leaving multiple targets wounded is often much worse than condensing fire and finishing one target.

Essentially; don't get greedy :) 

I tend to do this if I am very sure that I cause at least some wounds.

40 fully buffed Skinks (rerollable 2 to hit, rerollable wound rolls of 4) statistically cause 13 wounds or so. If you have to do only two you can split those attacks up so you don't overkill too hard. It is (almost) guaranteed that you cause one or two wounds with half of the attacks if the enemy's save is 5+ or worse.

But of course if you want to be really sure to kill that Maw-Krusha attacking you and only has two wounds left? Fire all of them on this target. You might regret it otherwise.

Haha I discovered a lot of these things during the summer not because I read the rules so carefully but because I played against someone that started at Age of Sigmar. He kept questioning things that I thought were logical but were sadly leftovers from the World that Was. :P

But it is a very situation and tactical gamble to divide shots. 

Only a gamble in certain situations.  In others, I see no reason not to. 

The other night, for example, I had 2 units of Blood Warriors knocked down to a aingle remaining model with a songle wound each.  I only had one unit of Judicators that could still shoot.  If my mind wasn't stuck on carry overs from other games, I absolutely would have split those shots and I see no downside to situations like that. 

Other situations that come to mind include units that buff with numbers.  You have 2 units of 20ish Ghouls (maybe one is at 22, one is at 21, or whatever)?  I'll split fire all day long to try and plunk off that extra attack.

Got a Monster a wound away from dropping in power level, but another target I really want to shoot?  From now on, I'll toss one shot at the Monster and the rest at the unit.  Figure I have nothing to lose with just one die.

1 hour ago, wayniac said:

What often confuses me, coming from Warmachine where you can decide to shoot Model X with this guy, then shoot Model X again with another guy, and Model Y with a third guy, is you have to decide beforehand how you are dividing the shots.

You would declare all targets before rolling any dice :) 

1 hour ago, wayniac said:

What often confuses me, coming from Warmachine where you can decide to shoot Model X with this guy, then shoot Model X again with another guy, and Model Y with a third guy, is you have to decide beforehand how you are dividing the shots.

I don't have the same issue -- AoS is the only game I play -- but think of it as a general telling his archers where to aim before they draw and fire. They loose their arrows simultaneously, so the target is pre-selected.

This was a shock to me as well when I played a Kunnin Ruck with a unit of 40 Arrowboys when the new Bonesplitterz Battletome came out. In my opponent's Hero phase he shot off 9 out of ten models. In his shooting phase he split his shots so that 20 went to that lone model and the rest to a fresh unit.

35 minutes ago, Matthijs said:

Its especially useful if you calculate your effects beforehand. Its a shame to waste precious attacks on overkill. :)

Ha! Math-hammer is all well and good, fair play if that's how you go about your gaming. However, as a word of warning, it is often these types of players who will find themselves disappointed by splitting attacks as in their minds they have allocated just the right amount of attacks to do the job!! Unfortunately dice don't always work like that.

Ha! Math-hammer is all well and good, fair play if that's how you go about your gaming. However, as a word of warning, it is often these types of players who will find themselves disappointed by splitting attacks as in their minds they have allocated just the right amount of attacks to do the job!! Unfortunately dice don't always work like that.

Heheh true, I was not talking about exactly math hammering it out. I meant more in the sense of knowing what you can expect. "Can I get that last wound of that guy with half my shots or do i need them all" type of thing.

We all do it in a way. If you play enough games you get a feel for what your units can do on average.

Of course, It is a game of chance, and you can never really rely on exact calculations.

Knowing if the chances are in your favor or not helps a bunch though.

aos-tactics.com - Understand the game, make better choices and wreck face.

I like to Math-Hammer at what I call "Plus 2, Minus 2, true Save" - meaning I always try to assume my opponent will do at least 2 better than average, and I will do 2 worse... and they will always get max armour.

If I have a unit of 30 Hangunners with Hurricanum support (so 3s and 3s), math says I do 20 hits.  I'll assume I'll do 18.  Then I calculate the wounds off the 18, which should be 12 wounds..So I assume 10.  Then I calculate saves off the 10.  A 4+ Save unit will then save 7 of those (normally 5, add 2).

So I expect my unit of 30 to do 3 wounds to that 4+ Save target, where the true math say they'll do between 8 and 9.

Archived