Easing the wife into AoS with an RPG narrative campaign!

wolfshadegm

Over the years, my wife tried Warhammer Fantasy and found it unappealing.  But with the change to AoS she wanted to give it another try so we could play games together.  We played a small demo, just to get her acquainted with the rules and assess if she would enjoy playing more.  And she did!

So now we are planning a long, slow burn action RPG AoS narrative campaign for us to play.  The plan is for her to start with a single hero; a brave young woman bent on saving her village that is trapped in a realm filled with daemons and undead and chaos.  As she hunts for additional help, she'll find other heroes and brave individuals willing to follow her.  By the end, she'll be commanding a whole force that will fight through hordes of chaos to get back to and defend her village--with the goal of using magic to move the village to a safer place.

I'll share rules that I build for this campaign on this post.  We plan to do it slowly as we'd like to paint the models we use and build as much scenery as we can stomach for the campaign.  Neither of us are great painters, but I think we'll enjoy the campaign more if we put down models that aren't just bare grey plastic.  So I'll also post pictures of parts of the campaign as they happen.  I'll be ordering her hero soon, but it may be weeks or a month until we are able to start. Until then I'll start brainstorming ideas and sessions.

Would love to hear from people that have also done this kind of action-RPG AoS campaign!

Thanks for the kind words, all!  I've been away from wargaming for a bit due to a move and changing jobs, but the ease of building a campaign like this is, to me, one of the truly brilliant aspects of Age of Sigmar.

@StoneMonk I just took a peek at the Hinterlands and Realm Master Campaigns.  You are right, some excellent work done there! I'll definitely be using elements of that, if not more.  Thanks for the suggestion!  And @bottle, incredible work, thanks!

@chord Ah, thanks, I'll see if I can take a look at the book from some of the local gamers.  I might have to grab that book, too!

I've planned to make a framework of the campaign by this weekend, so I'll try to add a substantive update then.

Be careful. I can only offer my humble personal story:  I started my wife with a kind of narrative campaign at the end of 2015, but now she just wants to build killer lists and smash my face! "Don't tell me about your puny general that I'm just going to erase from existence next turn--roll your dice already so I can win!"

I'm running the grand narrative event at NOVA this year, but she wants to play in the GT! ;)

But playing some games together, even painting together, is always a great experience to share. Enjoy!

Archived