Army-building woes: the concept

Immersturm

Hello there! Freshly joined and ready to go ;)

In short, I have been playing SCE since release in 2015, but mostly with borrowed models. Now it is time to build up my own army while taking a minor break from 40k... Yeah, the recent release was very emotionally draining for a Space Wolf :D

Anyway, let's get this trainwreck moving. I am not entirely sure how I want to approach this. In general, I am rather open-minded about what army to pick. What matters is the concept. I am an avid Space Wolves player and the nordic theme is firmly engraved into my soul. It is only natural that I want the same in my AoS. I launched several attempts and I already got a few ideas to present.

I narrowed to down to Stormcasts and Khorne Mortals (KBB and STD). For the Khorne mortals, it is fairly self explanatory. I was looking at a mix between KBB, STD, Chaos Monsters and Everchosen. Chaos Warriors, Knights, Varanguard, the usual business. Do not kill me, but I want to de-Chaosify it to make room for nordic runes and ice-based weaponry. The issue with that idea is that the army is not as fun to play and underperforms.

The SCE idea, however, it rather peculiar. This is the style I want to try with it. In terms of fluff it is supposed to be a rather independent Chamber that has spend/is still spending a lot of time in the realm of beasts. As such I am looking to mount the Dracoth riders on Mournfangs, use Fenrisian Wolves as Gryph Hounds, engrave runes and so forth into their armour and making the Prime into a dragon-rider (using the Warp Dragon from FW). While I genereally favour this idea, my biggest issue with it is the lack of diversity within the army itself. Judicators look exactly like Paladins or Liberators. Chaos at least has different sillhouettes while SCE are all the same base model. Also, the wing guys realyl annoy me.

Anyway, if anyone has some sort of input on this, I would be very grateful. I really need to get this going :D

You should check out the Astral Templars from the Audio Drama series. They are right up your alley. They've been in the realm of beasts for so long, and out of contact with Sigmar for so long, that they've gone almost primal. Wearing furs, taking skull trophies and war paint. It's pretty awesome.

Good call. I dislike the purple though, but I think the fluff is something to build on. I was thinking primarily metal/silver colours with blue runes and various shades of brown fur. Hell, maybe they have been at it for so long, that the paint scrubbed off and they snatched up some rune-related tricks from when fighting Beastclaws.

Take makes SCE even more tempting. Should I get around those visual issues of mine that is :D

Grab the 6th edition Warriors of Chaos army book on the cheap if you can.  What I loved about it is that it referred to a more subtle worshipping of chaos by Norse-like tribes.  It also had very short stories about the tribes that lived on the fringes of the wastes and that these tribes were not in your face chaos worshippers, however the influence of the chaos gods was simply a fact of life.  A harsh, cruel existence that they persevered through and did what they must To survive.

no reason why it can't fit into AoS. Just use alternative paint schemes.

Only time that I was ever tempted by WoC.  At least this is my recollection!

32 minutes ago, Darth Alec said:

You should check out the Astral Templars from the Audio Drama series. They are right up your alley. They've been in the realm of beasts for so long, and out of contact with Sigmar for so long, that they've gone almost primal. Wearing furs, taking skull trophies and war paint. It's pretty awesome.

This is how I started picturing @Immersturm vision. The old Empire Knights of the White Wolf meets Space Wolves. 

I was thinking that my next Free People project would be to mount Knights of the White Wolf models on those big Fenrisian Wolves, so I'd love to see how it's created.

3 minutes ago, Immersturm said:

Heh, I'll do my best to finish Leman Russ so I can move on to building AoS stuff, though it will still be based to Sigmarine models (read: one step larger than Free People). We may have similar styles in mind, so maybe it'll give you some inspiration ;)

Definitely a greater challenge than I would. You could leverage the old Empire Wolf capes or sculpt with green stuff on the SCE. 

You really could just replicate the Space Wolf look with pelts on the belt, hack some of the heads off and put Space Wolf heads in instead, and do furs and pelts.

Since we are on the topic, I already did a small-ish outline of how I would approach the project.

• The Stardrake will be scrapped and replaced with a Carmine Dragon from FW with a Sigmarine mounted on it. I already cut it apart at the limbs and neck to adjust the pose.

• Regular Judicators will get SW heads. The Roman crotch thing will be covered with GS and turned into either cloth or fur. I am not entirely sure about the chest plate, but I will cover the abs up bottom with big belts that have puches or daggers on them (akin to what this guy is wearing). Some may get a fur at the waist, some on their shoulders. I am also considering falcons for spotting and hunting.

• I am still split on how to do the melee components. I think I will use the Liberator models, but beef them up a bit. We are talking bulkier armour, potentially with Cataphractii shoulderpads from FW and somewhat bigger module on the back. The Paladins... not sure yet. I may use this bulky idea for the Paladins instead and do something else for the Liberators.

• As mentioned, Gryph Hounds will be replaced with Fenrisian Wolves. They are the hunting dogs. Not sure about Dracoths. While I like dragons, those drake models really do not appear nordic enough to me as opposed to something like a Mournfang. If I go with the Dracoths, I will definitely cut them apart to adjust the poses. I want 8 of those, so the mono-pose thing will be boring.

• The armours themselves will receive scratches and dents to signify battle damage and I will cut in some runes, which I will fill with White + Guilliman Blue glaze mixed with Lahmian medium + some more white to get that icy shining look (haven't tried it though, maybe this is the wrong combination).

In essence, not all that difficult. I think it will be more difficult to make the arms interchangeable, because I am cheap ****** and I do not want to buy separate models for different load-outs :D

It is likely, that I will start with the HQs, because their looks are pretty much settled, whereas I still have no idea what to do about the Prosecutors, the lack of visual diversity between Judicators and the melee guys when it comes to the base models and what the Cavalry will get under their arses :D

When it comes to sculpting pelts, capes and leather bits, I got enough practice with SW, so that shouldn't be the issue.

What made you steer away from beast claw raiders if the aesthetic is so strongly appealing to you?  I admit I like the theme too and I my friend didn't already play SW I would probably have picked them up when I looked into 40K. As it is I think if I started a second army it would be the raiders.

Simple, I dislike Ogres :D The beasts and theme appeal to me, but the rest does not. Besides, I find the army rather limiting without adding other Destruction factions.

Noble savages is a good description of what I am after, so either more noble STD or more wild and rugged SCE are on the menue ;)

3 hours ago, Darth Alec said:

Some of them also fight bare chested. :D 

Okay, after some thinking inspiration (read: metal and herbal tea) I think I got it figured out.

The light-ish infantry like Judicators will be akin to Wrathmongers. Bare-chested and bare upper arms. The aforementioned big belt. Legs and lower arms will be the usual Sigmarine plate. Maybe a singular shoulderpad on the off-arm as well, in case they need to duck behind cover. I suppose you could use tradition and symbolism as the reason, but also to reduce weight (for hunting) without compromising limb protection.

Melee dudes like Liberators will either have the same style or slightly more armour. I am thinking about covering their upper bodies in pelts, namely bear (berserker), wolf (ulfhednar) and boar (svinfylking).

When moving into the elite ranks, we have Dracoth riders armoured in their usual plate. Paladins will have enhanced Sigmarine plate.

And Prosecutors? I dunno. Flying sheep? I have no clue.

Maybe I will do the Liberators armoured and turn the Paladins into the pelt-wearers. Still up to debate. Thoughts?

7 hours ago, Immersturm said:

Okay, after some thinking inspiration (read: metal and herbal tea) I think I got it figured out.

The light-ish infantry like Judicators will be akin to Wrathmongers. Bare-chested and bare upper arms. The aforementioned big belt. Legs and lower arms will be the usual Sigmarine plate. Maybe a singular shoulderpad on the off-arm as well, in case they need to duck behind cover. I suppose you could use tradition and symbolism as the reason, but also to reduce weight (for hunting) without compromising limb protection.

Melee dudes like Liberators will either have the same style or slightly more armour. I am thinking about covering their upper bodies in pelts, namely bear (berserker), wolf (ulfhednar) and boar (svinfylking).

When moving into the elite ranks, we have Dracoth riders armoured in their usual plate. Paladins will have enhanced Sigmarine plate.

And Prosecutors? I dunno. Flying sheep? I have no clue.

Maybe I will do the Liberators armoured and turn the Paladins into the pelt-wearers. Still up to debate. Thoughts?

I just want to say that now I would really like to see a flying deadly sheep unit!

I guess that was the tie breaker I needed. Been to my local GW today, got a quick 1400pts game and got myself a helping of half-naked men. Unless someone has input regarding the flying sheep and dracothian guard, I guess we can call it a thread. Time to slupt those abs :D

Just now, Ratamaplata said:

Possibly... was just an idea.

No worries, I was thinking along the same lines. However, the flying sheep have a rathr peculiar size and are neiter pure infantry, nor are their mounted or beast. Thus the issue of their representation.

10 hours ago, Baardah said:

With that nordic theme going... instead of winged prosecutors, how about flying chariots pulled by rams...like The Norse god Tor when he boulder through the sky making thunder....

Or even Valkaryes coming down for the souls of dying heroes. Very Sigmar ;)

Ignore the flying aspect of Prosecutors, make them very werewolf-like, and imagine it as big, loping strides, easily able to clear terrain in the way. Armed with lightning bolt spears or heavy throwing axes, these skin-shifters are potent but vulnerable opponents.

Model wise consider the Skin Wolves from Forge World - https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Skin-Wolves

Archived