Is it worth buying the Grand Alliance Books?

Dwarf Giant

I've just downloaded the AoS app and am thinking what books I need to get. I have heard that the Grand Alliance books might be out of date, but is there anything in them that I can't get elsewhere? 

For instance I know that there is a Flesheater Court/Iron Jaws book etc. Do these replace the Grand Alliance Books? If there are only a couple of bits that are exclusive to the Grand Alliance books is it worth getting or can I just get it off the App? 

Thanks, Tris

The app is the only place for up-to-date information. The grand alliance books are very out of date and I would not recommend them. Many of the warscrolls have changed since those were printed.

Edit: As far as the battletomes, only Sylvaneth, Bonesplitterz and Beastclaw Raiders are the "new style" tomes with allegiance abilities/spell lores. The other battletomes are nice graphics and fluff but don't have any unique special rules. All battalions are available on the app.

I think the Order and Chaos ones are pretty decent value, especially if you're starting out, just for the sheer amount of warscrolls in there. It's fairly handy to be able to browse through them in one book. If money is any kind of issue and you don't play those GAs then probably skip them. Most of the battalions are rubbish but there are some fundamental ones in there like the Warrior Brotherhood and Skyborne Slayers for SC.

Personally the 1st thing I did when I got interested in AoS was buy the Chaos and Order books (+ Generals Handbook) from my local GW, and they are both awesome. Great if you're trying to decide what you want to collect and like me you weren't a WFB player. C'mon, £20 for a full-on Argos catalogue of fantastic models and rules! I then bought Death and Destruction, which were both a let down due to much smaller selection of units. The weird bit for me was getting the app later on, and seeing all these weird out of print units and factions like Wood Elves, Bretonians etc. It's a shame that I can't unlock the points and battalions I have in the book on the app because I bought the physical copy, but overall worth it.

the thing I actually wouldn't do again is buy the starter set - it makes you put a lot of time into building and painting models that wouldn't necessarily be your army of choice.

They're well worth getting - they're pretty cheap and great if you like flicking through scrolls rather than fiddling with a device.

I don't subscribe to them being totally out of date. Only a handful of factions have been superseded. Probably 95% of warscrolls in them are still valid.

On 11/16/2016 at 10:31 PM, Iain said:

Personally the 1st thing I did when I got interested in AoS was buy the Chaos and Order books (+ Generals Handbook) from my local GW, and they are both awesome. Great if you're trying to decide what you want to collect and like me you weren't a WFB player. C'mon, £20 for a full-on Argos catalogue of fantastic models and rules! I then bought Death and Destruction, which were both a let down due to much smaller selection of units. The weird bit for me was getting the app later on, and seeing all these weird out of print units and factions like Wood Elves, Bretonians etc. It's a shame that I can't unlock the points and battalions I have in the book on the app because I bought the physical copy, but overall worth it.

the thing I actually wouldn't do again is buy the starter set - it makes you put a lot of time into building and painting models that wouldn't necessarily be your army of choice.

Sound advice. But seeing as you have the chaos book. What would you advice me. I planning a Slaanesh mixed mortal and deamon army. (the made to order deamonettes broke my resistance). Does it offer any value to me? Fluff wise or game wise?

Specifically I love the (mostly the old) Slaanesh models. I now have some 500 points in deamons ordered and around 500 points of mortels to (re)paint. But i'm still looking for that bit of inspiration to make the army unique. Do you think I might find that in the Choas book?

There is almost no fluff in the Chaos book - it's really just pages and pages of different models. Some of the factions have Battalions but Slanesh doesn't. So... other than some great pictures of the models there's nothing much for a Slanesh player

3 hours ago, Dwarf Giant said:

Thanks for the replies folks. I personally think it will be worthwhile waiting until 'new' grand alliance books are out with everything updated. At the minute I think I'll stick with the app and maybe the Battle tomes for the faction I'll use.

Have they confirmed that the Grand Alliance books will be a regular thing? I know they've said the General's Handbook will get updates. Isn't there a chance the Grand Alliance books were just the stop gap? 

Archived