Worst units in Chaos.

Broken Netcode

1 hour ago, hobgoblinclub said:

I'd say chaos spawns are pretty poor again in this edition. I started building a load of tzeentch themed ones when AoS dropped. Then I played with them and stopped building. 

Spawn are alright for 60 points. You can't rely on them to actively achieve anything, but they are 5 wound models, so pretty good chaff.

I us a bolt of change to get spawn into "inconvenient" places, like within 3" of the back of a large unit.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, DarkBlack said:

Spawn are alright for 60 points. You can't rely on them to actively achieve anything, but they are 5 wound models, so pretty good chaff.

I us a bolt of change to get spawn into "inconvenient" places, like within 3" of the back of a large unit.

60 points for 5 wounds isn't cheap though. You can easily get a unit of ten men for that (marauders, clanrats etc.) which would make more effective blocking units. 

On 2016-11-12 at 3:29 PM, Rodiger said:

I haven't played a lot but Tzaangors have been terrible. I thought the Khorgorath was decent, a lot better than the Tzaangors anyway.  

But how do you price tzaangors, they have no points and the only thing GW have said is play them as bestigors (not use bestigor points).

2 hours ago, Andreas said:

But how do you price tzaangors, they have no points and the only thing GW have said is play them as bestigors (not use bestigor points).

I do know this, I just play friendly games with points so that's what I do. Gw's 'Use them as Bestigors' seems more like good advice rather than a suggestion of how to use them in matched play. Regardless of points I think they are terrible attack wise. Genuine question, do you play with Tzaangors and if so do you know how to make them good? I bought a load of them and I'd love them to be good. 

6 hours ago, Rodiger said:

I do know this, I just play friendly games with points so that's what I do. Gw's 'Use them as Bestigors' seems more like good advice rather than a suggestion of how to use them in matched play. Regardless of points I think they are terrible attack wise. Genuine question, do you play with Tzaangors and if so do you know how to make them good? I bought a load of them and I'd love them to be good. 

I havnt played Tzaangors but I have played for example Ungors and Bestigors. I think Tzaangors on paper are better than Ungors but wore than Bestigors so it all comes down to their ponts cost, who many you get? The scroll by it self are not the worst you can find. 

I would play them as a meat screen. They have ok movement and two wounds each.

2 hours ago, Wolden Spoons said:

Pre GHB they were one of the best, after points I've not even looked at them again. Who?

Flamers. Stupidly overpriced for 3 fragile models.

Buy you need see him like a warmachine, all warmachines have 3 or 4 models but do a lot.of ranged dmg, like the flamers :)

On 11/12/2016 at 2:04 PM, Nico said:

Pink Horrors can tick three boxes for a Khorne Bloodbound army - Battleline Unit, Wizard for Mystic Shield and some pew pew.

It ceases to be a Khorne Bloodbound army as soon as you put a) Tzeentch Daemons, b) Magic User into the army. Now you're just playing a Chaos army :P 

So much rage for anyone that puts a wizard in a Khorne Army >:(>:(:P 

Refined list is as follows;

1) Warhounds

2)Furies

3)Chimera

4)Cockatrice

5) Centigor

6) Slaughterbrute

7) Spawn

8) Lord/ Sorcerer on manticore

9) Herald of Nurgle

10) Rotbringers sorceror

The list is in order from Worst to less worse. 10 will be the max number as it will get cluttered if we go over that number.

I'd disagree with warhounds and centigors being on that list, cheap fast independent units such as those can be game changers if used properly. As many will say though, it's down to play your style. If like me you are used to 8th ed beastmen, you are well used to using chaff units and know how to make them devastating. 

My only thought with centigors is that they aren't much faster than gors with a brayshaman nearby. Since you can run them if you also have a beastlord's command ability then they will move 11+d6. If you aren't running a brayherd then the centigors could be pretty good as chaff. When I expand maybe ill grab some.

7 hours ago, Dolomedes said:

I'd disagree with warhounds and centigors being on that list, cheap fast independent units such as those can be game changers if used properly. As many will say though, it's down to play your style. If like me you are used to 8th ed beastmen, you are well used to using chaff units and know how to make them devastating. 

Yea but the problem is for 80 points you have the seeker chariot of slaanesh, if you want a sacrifice for 60 you have a slaanesh fiend, and for 100 you have the fast calvary, wich do much more than the hounds. 

They put as 80 points cos giving him 2 atacks, we dont need warhounds with 2 atacks we need wsrhound with a single atsck but at 60 point cost or 5 for 40

34 minutes ago, Iradekhorne said:

Yea but the problem is for 80 points you have the seeker chariot of slaanesh, if you want a sacrifice for 60 you have a slaanesh fiend, and for 100 you have the fast calvary, wich do much more than the hounds. 

They put as 80 points cos giving him 2 atacks, we dont need warhounds with 2 atacks we need wsrhound with a single atsck but at 60 point cost or 5 for 40

The chariots are great, and you make some good points about the effectiveness about the slaaneshi army for being good for chaff.

The case I would make for the warhounds is more to do with the board control, it being a cheap 10 model unit with being quite large models makes it a touch more easy to throw away, yet you can control a good section of the board with them. When running an infantry heavy army, a 10 model screen would be far more effective in my case, than say the aforementioned chariot or fiend. 

The 2 attacks I see as being one of the warhounds stronger traits too, I like to run 30 man ungor raider archer blocks, a unit of warhounds in front of them would not interfere with LOS as the model is lower, and could provide an effective cheap punch to finish off a unit after it has sustained heavy shooting, while simultaneously screening my squishy archers.

But again, this is entirely down to how you wish to play, and the playstyle of your own army. In my infantry heavy brayherd army, warhounds would be incredibly effective, but I couldn't see them taking residence in some of the more elite model armies. 

Ultimately, everyone looks at a unit with a different set of eyes, one persons pile of garbage can be another's key cog in a more effective army wide plan.

60 points for 5 wounds isn't cheap though. You can easily get a unit of ten men for that (marauders, clanrats etc.) which would make more effective blocking units. 

I generally find that anything which is close to 10 points per wound is worth taking a look at, e.g. Khorgoraths. A unit of models with high wound count is much more resilient and retains its damage output for longer, e.g. 7 wounds on a unit of 3 Khorgis, vs 7 wounds on a unit of 24 Marauders. 

Spawn are decent as a way to fill up an Everchosen Battalion as they are mortal and have a god keyword.

20 hours ago, cranect said:

My only thought with centigors is that they aren't much faster than gors with a brayshaman nearby. Since you can run them if you also have a beastlord's command ability then they will move 11+d6. If you aren't running a brayherd then the centigors could be pretty good as chaff. When I expand maybe ill grab some.

This is true, something that took me a while to clock. The nice thing with them running with a brayherd is that they can provide the model count, for better board control and screening, and keep up with the ridiculously fast army without having to split up your heroes, which you would have to do with the gor option. And they would make a nice chaff drop. If not dealt with, they would make effective backline hunting types that more often than not are going to get the charge from a long distance. Model them with the spears pointing forward in lancing formation and send them in behind a line of infantry for extra support.

For an 80 point unit, it gives you an awful lot of options when ran with other models that would benefit from their rules.

On 11/11/2016 at 3:16 AM, Tasman said:

I'd rather take warriors. No rend, true, but the 5+ save v mortal wounds wins me over, and the are battle line.Not saying that the chosen aren't a good unit, just wish they were a little bit easier to ft in. Now, in an open or narrative game, I'd take them for sure.

There's no doubt in my mind man, Chaos Warriors are earners. They are a very reliable, incredibly non glamorous unit that, with a little bit of support, will hold your line and get things done. While they are kind of expensive for a battleline troop, in Chaos their points, to wounds, to save ratio is pretty effing good. Fight on.

I may catch some stick for this but I haven't seen the Lord of Plagues anywhere on this list.

Maybe it's because he's pretty low costed when you consider that he's brimming over with "powers'" but his powers effing suck. Nurgle's Rot is feeble and it can't be relied upon to produce, it can't even be relied upon for some of those happy moments that make things click for you. It's usually a complete non-factor in the game, so having it, and having the ability to dole it out, is worthless in my opinion.

On top of that he doesn't hit hard. He's fine as a support character I guess, but I'd never use him as a General.

Archived