Worst units in Chaos.

Broken Netcode

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm probably going to get heat for this, but......chosen. Just too many pts for a small unit that doesn't really get THAT big of a boost for the pts.

I'd rather take warriors. No rend, true, but the 5+ save v mortal wounds wins me over, and the are battle line.Not saying that the chosen aren't a good unit, just wish they were a little bit easier to ft in. Now, in an open or narrative game, I'd take them for sure.

Out of the models I've got I'd say the worst rules wise is probably the Khorgorath.  Restoring a single wound per unit per combat phase sounds good but it generally doesn't do very much and there's no real reason to field more than one in a unit because of it.

As a more general "not a fan of", I'd say Bloodreavers.  They're very glass cannon in style and need quite a bit of supporting units in order to boost them to a decent enough level.  That said they are cheap in points!

yeah, reavers really suck IMO.... I've totally given up on them. If points are an issue, I bring marauders. I'm particularly fond of using them in battalions where I can benefit them with buffs, i.e. fatesworn or plague touched. If points are not an issue, regular warriors are a no-brainer choice over reavers anytime

I've watched my reavers, and annihilated my opponents' reavers, too many times to put much stock in them. They can be viable for about one turn, then they are done. Usually the bloodsecrator is the first to go, then the reavers cease to exist shortly after. I'll still take marauders with a possible +2 to hit and an actual save for the same points. A bloodsecrator will buff marauders, too, if you khorne them.

I love Khorgoraths, tough (8 wounds and 4+save) reasonably hitty and only 80 pts. The healing and -1 to bravery bubble come in handy. I run 3 in separate units and they're great, haven't tried them as a single unit yet. I also use them to hide stuff I don't want shot off behind 

Bloodreavers on their own are total pants, however as part of a wider Bloodbound army they become absolute monsters. 

I have real trouble with Marauder horsemen, with javelins or otherwise, I just can't get them to work and I've tired them in a good sized unit of ten. It's probably me getting carried away with that massive 12" move and putting them in harms way too much. Great set of models though really fun and loads of great bits and easy to paint. Performance wise for me they're the worst

Hopefully they will make equivalent lists for 2 remaining alliances. Then we can merge them together into an ultimate list of "reconsider purchase" as a great reference for newcomers. It will help save time and money, and in the long run may even help units on the list to get a buff in the upcoming tomes.  

39 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

I have real trouble with Marauder horsemen, with javelins or otherwise, I just can't get them to work and I've tired them in a good sized unit of ten. It's probably me getting carried away with that massive 12" move and putting them in harms way too much. Great set of models though really fun and loads of great bits and easy to paint. Performance wise for me they're the worst

This is total speculation, but I figured they played the same role for knights that marauders / bloodreavers do for warriors - chaff shield.  They're mobile, relatively cheap (compared to heavy cav units), and at least a bit shooty.  So, they screen, bog down the opposing killy stuff, then die or disengaged to let your hard stuff charge in at targets of your choosing.  After that, it's gravy  - go hunt warmachines, or snag an objective or something.

FMB

5 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Pink Horrors? Pink Horrors for 140 points under rules of one anyone?

Reveal hidden contents

There are no bad units, only overcosted ones. ;) 

I dont think so. They have a shooting atack,+1 to cast and they can also cast and unbind spells and they are battleline. Two units of 10 are very good choice to support your elite units.

I mind the warhounds are the worst ever, 5 wounds with 6+ save and 2 atacks at 4+ and 4+.... for 20 points more you have marauder horsemen with javelins.... for me warhounds and chimaera are the worst ever xD

2 hours ago, Iradekhorne said:

I dont think so. They have a shooting atack,+1 to cast and they can also cast and unbind spells and they are battleline. Two units of 10 are very good choice to support your elite units.

I mind the warhounds are the worst ever, 5 wounds with 6+ save and 2 atacks at 4+ and 4+.... for 20 points more you have marauder horsemen with javelins.... for me warhounds and chimaera are the worst ever xD

^^^Pink horrors are a surprisingly decent unit, IMO. Absolute waste of time to even assemble hounds these days, not that they EVER had much use. I've been plying 25+ years, and the only thing they were any good for was dummy drops (until I discovered beasts of Nurgle). They really have to be in at least the top 5.

Horsemen are ok. Basically an annoying skirmish unit that can be used to take out enemy sorcerers, war machines and jump on objectives (before being wiped out) I kind of like them for a fluff game, and they are fun in narrative play.

Archived