Let's chat Grotz and Moonclan

MidasKiss

1 minute ago, Furious said:

Yeah they're all still squares. I just buy some other wargame bases - 25mm from Infinity, I think it was? They're fine. Not as sturdy as GW if I had to nitpick. They're thin and come with rails on the bottom if you need to cut a slot (which I certainly did for my BfSP Night Gobs). 

Yes they're slow to move, but they're going to die quickly so don't worry about it!

Ah awesome, will have to remember that, cheers for the info bud :)

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good list @MidasKiss
You could also take one large unit (40 or even 60) Gitmob Grots with bows and Sneaky Stabbing, then take two 20 Moonclan Grot with cutters and netters units and some 1 man units of fanatics. This covers you from Skyborne Slayers and Bloodletter bomb.
If they do Warrior Brotherhood, then they kill all the chaff, but you counterpunch with Spiders and Grot archers (who are on 3+ to hit, 4+ to wound and -1 rend from memory).

Here is a more moonclan focused version. The Squigs were just for fun, and like you said splitting up at least one of those moonclan blocks with some fanatics could be nicely irritating.

Leaders
Grot Warboss (80)
Moonclan Grot Shaman (60)
Gitmob Grot Shaman (80)
Arachnarok Spider With Grot Shaman (280)

Units
Moonclan Grots x 40 (240)
Grot Fanatics x 1 (30)
Grot Fanatics x 1 (30)
Moonclan Grots x 40 (240)
Grot Fanatics x 1 (30)
Grot Fanatics x 1 (30)
Gitmob Grots x 40 (200)
Grot Spider Riders x 10 (200)
Cave Squigs x 10 (120)
Grot Squig Herders x 2 (20)

War Machines
Grot Spear Chukka (120)
Grot Spear Chukka (120)
Grot Spear Chukka (120)

(2000)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

What would be the best option to add some ranged threat to your army? 

Like we said above the grots with bows are good with the gitmob shaman spell, though not huge range. The Warmachines look good for picking off key models. Obviously you can branch out into thundertusks or arrowboys in a mixed destruction.

I've been kicking around a largely Moonclan force using the following list:

• Gordrakk (700) - General
  • *Great Moonclan (80)
  • *Grot Warboss on Cave Squig (80)
  • *Grot Shaman (60)
  • *20 Cave Squigs (240)
  • *6 Squig Herders (60)
  • *40 Grots (Spears and Nets) [240]
    • 1 Fanatic (60)

• 1 Fanatic (60)
  • *40 Grots (Bows and Nets) [240]

The army is two drops.  Gordrakk and the Great Moon Clan.  The Warboss on Squig gets the Battlebrew; the Shaman (who sets up in the middle of a 40 Grot horde) takes the Talisman of Protection.  The tactics are deceptively simple as the threat of Gordrakk (which is real) is a decoy.  Gordrakk plays it somewhat safe initially and the fanatics control enemy charges and instead allow you the extra time do position and set up your own counter charge (likely in turn 2).  Gordrakk triggers his command ability, which normally only targets 1 unit but can instead target a battalion (which is your ENTIRE force), that grants a 3d6 charge and +2 attacks with each weapon in the combat phase.  So each block of 40 grots with 2" range are swinging 120 times base (nets will increase this by 2 more per model), at 5+/2+ for 1 damage.  The block of 20 squigs is going to attack 60 times at 4+/3+, -1 rend, d3 damage each.  The big boss, having a better than average change of throwing doubles since three dice are being rolled for the charge, will have 7 attacks with the spear and 6 with the bite (which is doing double damage with doubles) and rerolling hits because of the battalion.  Additionally, all of these units are generating an additional attack on natural 6s, of which there will be many in the hundreds of attack rolls being made.  Gordrakk will do what he does as he should be aimed at the biggest, toughest thing on the table.  

The reality is that even the toughest things will likely implode from this charge given the raw amount of wounds that will be generated in this first round.  This makes setting this up essential, but the payoff will be significant.  As a perk, your force can be spread out across multiple objectives as long as only one unit of the battalion is within 20" of Gordrakk.  This means that you can optimize your numbers and be where you need to for battlefield objectives.  You will take casualties but the damage will be significant enough many forces will likely struggle with what you have remaining.  

Indeed, I've seen that theory before. Never seen it in play, though...

It will for sure cause carnage. I'd love to try it myself, if I weren't so severely anti-named character (don't know why, just don't want them in my army). It seems like a "kill 'em quick" kind of list because grots and squigs especially cheese it out of battle the moment they start taking hits, so without using Ins. Pres. the core of your army is going to crumble. But, honestly, that's like every grot army, the only difference here is that you probably won't be using inspiring presence.

I've been kicking around a largely Moonclan force using the following list:

• *Great Moonclan (80)
  • *Grot Warboss on Cave Squig (80)
  • *Grot Shaman (60)
  • *20 Cave Squigs (240)
  • *6 Squig Herders (60)
    • 1 Fanatic (60)

• 1 Fanatic (60)
  • *40 Grots (Bows and Nets) [240]
The army is two drops.  Gordrakk and the Great Moon Clan.  The Warboss on Squig gets the Battlebrew; the Shaman (who sets up in the middle of a 40 Grot horde) takes the Talisman of Protection.  The tactics are deceptively simple as the threat of Gordrakk (which is real) is a decoy.  Gordrakk plays it somewhat safe initially and the fanatics control enemy charges and instead allow you the extra time do position and set up your own counter charge (likely in turn 2).  Gordrakk triggers his command ability, which normally only targets 1 unit but can instead target a battalion (which is your ENTIRE force), that grants a 3d6 charge and +2 attacks with each weapon in the combat phase.  So each block of 40 grots with 2" range are swinging 120 times base (nets will increase this by 2 more per model), at 5+/2+ for 1 damage.  The block of 20 squigs is going to attack 60 times at 4+/3+, -1 rend, d3 damage each.  The big boss, having a better than average change of throwing doubles since three dice are being rolled for the charge, will have 7 attacks with the spear and 6 with the bite (which is doing double damage with doubles) and rerolling hits because of the battalion.  Additionally, all of these units are generating an additional attack on natural 6s, of which there will be many in the hundreds of attack rolls being made.  Gordrakk will do what he does as he should be aimed at the biggest, toughest thing on the table.  

The reality is that even the toughest things will likely implode from this charge given the raw amount of wounds that will be generated in this first round.  This makes setting this up essential, but the payoff will be significant.  As a perk, your force can be spread out across multiple objectives as long as only one unit of the battalion is within 20" of Gordrakk.  This means that you can optimize your numbers and be where you need to for battlefield objectives.  You will take casualties but the damage will be significant enough many forces will likely struggle with what you have remaining.  

Had any games yet? Or largely theoretical at this point. Looks to be awesome fun.

I'm struggling to get my head around the financial cost of building moonclan here in Australia. Even after the UK to aud exchange rate you pretty much then double the cost, + add in buying round bases for everything. We should start an 'adopt an Australian' program, all you uK guys can buddy up ;)

On 14/11/2016 at 9:06 PM, Mohojoe said:

What would be the best option to add some ranged threat to your army? 

I've had success with 2 x Spear Chukkas. They've got good range, decent damage and are reliable (If in a pair and targeting Heroes) to boot.

Out of all the Warmachines, they're my go-to for lists. My alternate choice would be Doom Divers, again due to the ability to target a second unit if the first pilot/missile/victim misses. 

I haven't run any Rock Lobbas yet, the rules look tempting but I think the SC and DD do the job better and more reliably.

4 hours ago, Dangermouse425 said:

I've had success with 2 x Spear Chukkas. They've got good range, decent damage and are reliable (If in a pair and targeting Heroes) to boot.

Out of all the Warmachines, they're my go-to for lists. My alternate choice would be Doom Divers, again due to the ability to target a second unit if the first pilot/missile/victim misses. 

I haven't run any Rock Lobbas yet, the rules look tempting but I think the SC and DD do the job better and more reliably.

I love the gitmob warmachines. I run 2x Chukkas or 2x Divers (never one, obviously). I have done 1x Lobber, though, and out of the three that one works best as a single piece of artillery and is technically more reliable (but they're goblins - who wants reliable?). As for when I take divers or chukkas, it really depends on what army I'm facing. Scary heroes on scary monsters? Chukkas for sure. Horde armies? Divers. Lots of terrain? Divers. Since they're the same point cost, it's easy to swap them out at the last moment.

6 hours ago, MidasKiss said:

Had any games yet? Or largely theoretical at this point. Looks to be awesome fun.

I have not.  I have a full Moonclan force ready to be painted and I've been looking at branching into Ironjawz this Christmas, hence this theoretical exploration.  This project would still be pretty far off from me as I need to finish my Nurgle for upcoming events and then I'm turning to my TK for the Endless Deserts setting/playermade Codex.  I'd look at turning to this stuff later next year ;-)

I have a Night Goblin army for years. They are the best ****** block army since Old World, the only answer against 1+ saves of Chaos Knights.

Now they are just Brutally Fantastic! The Great Moonclan battalion is powerful.
The extra Bravery goes a long way. The rerolls for hits is awesome for a cheap hero. Ran Skarsnik, Generic Warboss and Hopper Warboss.. The Ability of the Generic Moonclan Warboss is awesome if used correctly.
I always use Mangler Squig, greater movement and the extra oooomph of it potential damage.

They are one of the best 1000 point army.

I tried a similar built before. 

• - Great Moonclan (80)
  • - Grot Warboss (80) - 
  • - Grot Shaman (60)
  • - Mangler Squig (240)
  • - 40 Grots (Sword and 12 Nets) [240]
    • 2 Fanatics (60)
    • 2 Fanatics (60)
    • 2 Fanatic (60)
  • - 20 Grots (Bows and 6 Nets) [120]
  • Grot Shaman (60)
  • Balewind Vortex (0)

My list is pretty old, I tried when Ironjaws was hot, and back then when Balewind was free!

The Balewind make your Curse of the Bad Moon a BOMB!!! 
With Destruction Move and 3D6 charging it is still not powerful enough. Still lose a few games, especially against Free People super shooty list. Dwarf list is also brutally effective at wiping me out. Gordrakk seldom survive the whole game, Mortal wound kills him easy.

@gnaleinad I also play moonclan a lot but in one unit of 40. I use it as a launcher for fanatics, so every time I have the first turn I am able to deliver it straight ot enemy lines: rampaging destroyers - d6" + ravager 2", run 5"+2"(gong)+d6". It makes me move 15" on average on the first turn so it is easy to reach something in front row (usually with higher save) and hit w 6d6 attacks with rend. I destroyed 3 dwarf armies recently starting with that.
Curse of Da Bad Moon - is also one of my favourite, but usually doesn't deliver more than 3mortals. I combine it with mushrooms so it is 6+ than. Main advantage of Vortex is the extra range, but the cost right now doesn't make it so tempting as before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, meet.the.doctor said:

rampaging destroyers - d6" + ravager 2", run 5"+2"(gong)+d6". 

Unfortunately you've been doing this incorrectly - you can't run with a unit after rampaging destroyers has been activated on it. This means that generally, unless you want to charge or shoot with them, it's better to run your grots.

Unfortunately you've been doing this incorrectly - you can't run with a unit after rampaging destroyers has been activated on it. This means that generally, unless you want to charge or shoot with them, it's better to run your grots.

I cannot run in the hero phase. I can do it normaly in movement phase. I do d6"+2" in hero and in movement 5"+2" +d6". And this gives me the range to setup fanatics 1" from my unit (another inch closer) and I can charge with them in MOVEMENT phase. (I wrote hero by mistake)

6 minutes ago, Furious said:

Ye I thought this as well but you can still run in movement phase 

55 minutes ago, meet.the.doctor said:

I cannot run in the hero phase. I can do it normaly in movement phase. I do d6"+2" in hero and in movement 5"+2" +d6". And this gives me the range to setup fanatics 1" from my unit (another inch closer) and I can charge with them in hero phase.

I will have to look that up! I don't remember the wording exactly, but I do remember reading it an interpreting it as not being able to run (I as well initially thought you could run). 

2 minutes ago, Furious said:

I will have to look that up! I don't remember the wording exactly, but I do remember reading it an interpreting it as not being able to run (I as well initially thought you could run). 

Along the lines of 

" In the hero phase roll a d6. Move that many inches as if it were the movement phase, exceptthat you can't run. "

If you were to move d6 as if it were the movement phase, you could move 2d6  as running adds an extra d6 movement. 

That is why they say "except that you can't run ". 

I have a Night Goblin army for years. They are the best ****** block army since Old World, the only answer against 1+ saves of Chaos Knights.

Now they are just Brutally Fantastic! The Great Moonclan battalion is powerful.
The extra Bravery goes a long way. The rerolls for hits is awesome for a cheap hero. Ran Skarsnik, Generic Warboss and Hopper Warboss.. The Ability of the Generic Moonclan Warboss is awesome if used correctly.
I always use Mangler Squig, greater movement and the extra oooomph of it potential damage.

They are one of the best 1000 point army.

I tried a similar built before. 

• - Great Moonclan (80)
  • - Grot Warboss (80) - 
  • - Grot Shaman (60)
  • - Mangler Squig (240)
    • 2 Fanatics (60)
    • 2 Fanatics (60)
    • 2 Fanatic (60)
  • - 20 Grots (Bows and 6 Nets) [120]
  • Grot Shaman (60)
  • Balewind Vortex (0)

My list is pretty old, I tried when Ironjaws was hot, and back then when Balewind was free!

The Balewind make your Curse of the Bad Moon a BOMB!!! 
With Destruction Move and 3D6 charging it is still not powerful enough. Still lose a few games, especially against Free People super shooty list. Dwarf list is also brutally effective at wiping me out. Gordrakk seldom survive the whole game, Mortal wound kills him easy.

The Moonclan army is very strong, but almost entirely because of Fanatics. The problem with the Grot heroes is that they are Thundertusk lunch or Judicator lunch or Kurnoth Hunter Lunch Darran Palmer did very well with a 60 Block of Moonclan with the general as the unit champion, for pure inspiring presence and bellowing shout on that unit. Plenty of Fanatics and 2 Monsters. He also had 60 Gitmob with spears and 40 Archers. Other than the Hooded Villain, the Gitmob synergies are just a lot better and they aren't dependent on command abilities in the same way as Moonclan.

This was my list for Blood & Glory, which was the most fun army I've ever played. I'll link the battle reports soon:

Leaders
Gordrakk The Fist of Gork (700)
-
 General
Goblin Warboss (60)
-
 Git Cutta & Git Shield
- Artefact: Talisman of Protection
Gitmob Grot Shaman (80)
Moonclan Grot Shaman (60)
-
 Artefact: Talisman of Protection

Units
Grot Wolf Riders x 10 (200)
Gitmob Grots x 20 (100)
Gitmob Grots x 20 (100)
Gitmob Grots x 20 (100)
Nasty Skulkers x 12 (160)

Behemoths

War Machines

Batallions
Great GitMob (100)

Total: 1980/2000

Gordrakk plus a block of 60 Gitmob (or just a whole battalion made of large blocks of Gitmob) would also be immensely strong - although a little dependent on whether you can cast Sneaky Stabbing on a 7.

I love both the Gitmob and Moonclan!!

@Nico
How did those MORTAL WOUNDING Stabbers did?? Looks like it will hurt like hell!!
But I dare say you haven't been on the receiving end of a Mangler Squig from the Great Moon Clan battalion.
Give it +1 from Bellowing Tyrant, and if you get double on the charge, it will be THE MOST DAMAGING MONSTER IN THE 200+ point category.
It's amazing how much damage it can do.. 

I did 73 wound to a unit of Savage Orruks once! HIGHEST EVER.
The Mangler had: 
- 6s or more to hit generate attack(Great Moonclan battalion)
- double damage on 6s or more to wound(Generic Moonclan Warboss command ability)
- +1 to all hit rolls(Bellowing Tyrant)
- +1 to Balls and Chains hit roll(rolled double on a charge)
The 6 Bite attacks hits on 2s and generated 3 attacks on each 5+. 8 attacks hit and it all wounded, which had two 6s. The Bonsplitterz special saved and so Bite gave 16 damage.
The Ball&Chain received +2 to hit rolls, rolled 11 on the 2d6 Attacks which generated 9 attacks on each 4+. 19 attacks hit, 15 wound went in, which had six 6s. The Savage Orruk saved 2, but didn't save any of double damage, and took 57 damage.

On average a Mangler Squig can give 10-15 wounds without boosting.
Roll for yourself, you will be surprised.

@Furious
Yes Destruction has powered up, and is an extremely mobile force because of it.

Here are my first two Battle Reports. 4 more to follow.

But I dare say you haven't been on the receiving end of a Mangler Squig from the Great Moon Clan battalion.
Give it +1 from Bellowing Tyrant, and if you get double on the charge, it will be THE MOST DAMAGING MONSTER IN THE 200+ point category.

I've faced the Mangler Squig and Colossal Squig at The Warlords. I know The Hooded Villain (Nathan Prescott) uses them to great effect (he smashed face at Firestorm Fours with them for the Six Dice Skills team we were both on)! 

I'd say they do the most damage at the 300 category as well.... However, I basically don't take pin cushion monsters unless they can reliably make a first turn charge. 

The Hooded Villain combo is far worse - that's truly off the charts.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived