Nighthaunt

TalesOfSigmar

So after having an army sorted for every Grand Alliance I thought it was finally time to get Death on the go. After getting my Ironjawz finished early, I'm planning on making a Nighthaunt 1K list for Blood and Glory.

Leaders
Cairn Wraith (60)
Cairn Wraith (60)

Units
Spirit Hosts x 6 (240)
Spirit Hosts x 6 (240)

Behemoths
Mourngul (400)

Total: 1000/2000

Down the line my plan is expanding to either of these potential 2K Nighthaunt lists.

Leaders
Cairn Wraith (60)
Cairn Wraith (60)
Cairn Wraith (60)
Cairn Wraith (60)
Cairn Wraith (60)

Units
Spirit Hosts x 6 (240)
Spirit Hosts x 6 (240)
Hexwraiths x 5 (160)
Spirit Hosts x 6 (240)

Behemoths
Mourngul (400)
Mourngul (400)

Total: 1980/2000

OR

Leaders
Cairn Wraith (60)
Cairn Wraith (60)
Cairn Wraith (60)
Cairn Wraith (60)

Units
Spirit Hosts x 6 (240)
Spirit Hosts x 6 (240)
Spirit Hosts x 6 (240)
Spirit Hosts x 6 (240)

Behemoths
Mourngul (400)
Mourngul (400)

Total: 2000/2000

Just wondering on people's opinions. Down the line I do have Nagash, a Mortarch and 8 Morghasts still in boxes waiting to be built and I'm a massive fan of the Mortis Engine (would've loved to have had this as Nighthaunt rather than Malignants) so that'll be added in, but then I've got to get some generic Battleline.

Any reason for the aversion to Tomb Banshees? They can be very effective against chaff units. I'd say your list doesn't really have much damage output that a junk unit would care about. I.e., especially against other Death players, the Spirit Hosts are only amazing against high-armour, high-rend enemies. They don't put out that many wounds, typically.

They also rue anything that gives them -1 to Hit, makes them into utter trash. Beware that.

May be wrong but the Tomb Banshee compared to the Cairn Wraith just doesn't seem to compare.

The Scream just seems a bit weak/situational against certain armies and she only has one attack with D3 damage.

Compare that to the Cairn Wraith who has a 2" reach, 3 attacks, re-roll hits against units with 5 or more models and 2 Damage seems alot more blendy in comparison.

Yeah the -1 to hit debuff makes the Spirit Hosts rather weak, I'm hoping the 36 attacks each unit can put out will make up for that though.

Just wanted to try something a bit different and themed for the small 1K event on the Friday.

36 attacks on 6s is only 3 Wounds on average. It'll do well, but given that it's built on spamming two units to fill slots, it'll be brittle, and the wrong matchup will be awful for it.

The Banshee can pull her weight, and most importantly can do so without getting into combat. It's the only ranged attack we get, but it can clear out chaff quite nicely, and those Mortal Wounds can help out against a lot of things. Things like backline artillery would have real issues against them, as they can just scream the crew to death as artillery often has a low Bravery.

The Cairn Wraith is alright, but he's 60pts for a reason. It's alright, nothing fancy and some units will beat him up for his lunch money. 

I agree. Having fought a lot Mournguls here and there. They are too 'simple' for 400 points. Don't have any special ability exept for a moderate melee attack. They are extemely easy to counter using -1 hit or some cheap but physically tough unit that can reroll save. I got a Knight-Questor from Silver tower. With +1 save it freezed a Mourngul for 3 rounds 6 combat turns and it is only 70 points.

9 minutes ago, Aeonotakist said:

I agree. Having fought a lot Mournguls here and there. They are too 'simple' for 400 points. Don't have any special ability exept for a moderate melee attack. They are extemely easy to counter using -1 hit or some cheap but physically tough unit that can reroll save. I got a Knight-Questor from Silver tower. With +1 save it freezed a Mourngul for 3 rounds 6 combat turns and it is only 70 points.

The Knight Questor's 100 points. If he were only 70 I'm sure he'd see a lot more use. o.O

4 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

The Knight Questor's 100 points. If he were only 70 I'm sure he'd see a lot more use. o.O

Strange I cannot fint this guy in my general hadbook.

Seems like someone told me it is 70pts.

I would say for 100pts it is a little bit underpower... You cannot really rely on him catch the right unit you want to. Maybe your opponent will use 10 zombie to trap him first and forever.

Also for 100pts, your opponent can put some mortal wound on him to erase it without feeling 'I am wasting my MW on cheap stuff'.

Cheers for the replies guys, yeah my worry was at 2K it becomes a lot more of just the same thing without any real oomph. Relying too much on the two Mournguls to do the heavy lifting.

Think I'll run the 1K list at the end of the month and then expand out into Grand Alliance Death rather than focusing on full Nighthaunt.

4 minutes ago, Aeonotakist said:

Strange I cannot fint this guy in my general hadbook.

Seems like someone told me it is 70pts.

I would say for 100pts it is a little bit underpower... You cannot really rely on him catch the right unit you want to. Maybe your opponent will use 10 zombie to trap him first and forever.

Also for 100pts, your opponent can put some mortal wound on him to erase it without feeling 'I am wasting my MW on cheap stuff'.

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Errata/ENG_Silver_Tower_PB.pdf

:) 

Mournguls have a reputation, especially if you use them as a Distraction Carnifex. Faced a fellow Death player in a tournament last night. My Settra-buffed Grave Guard took it down in two combat phases, (he opted to attack a nearby Liche Priest instead of the Grave Guard on the first turn, and I had initiative the next.)

Losing your Mourngul will be a big blow as with any similarly-expensive unit

23 minutes ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

Losing your Mourngul will be a big blow as with any similarly-expensive unit

Not if you have three of them.....

I think if you're playing a Nighthaunt only army it's a fair case for overloading on them like some people might perhaps run the flesh eater courts menagerie. 

I'm planning on turning what I have into a full 2000pts Nighthaunt army.

Black Coach (general) Master of Black Arts,Cursed Book

3 x Banshees

3 x 5 Hexwraiths

3 x 6 Spirit Hosts

1 x Mourngul

Should be a fun army to play,not a tournament winning one or anything but a nice little addition to my other armies.

On 07/11/2016 at 4:03 PM, discoking said:

I'm planning on turning what I have into a full 2000pts Nighthaunt army.

Black Coach (general) Master of Black Arts,Cursed Book

3 x Banshees

3 x 5 Hexwraiths

3 x 6 Spirit Hosts

1 x Mourngul

Should be a fun army to play,not a tournament winning one or anything but a nice little addition to my other armies.

I would like a black coach for a fun non competitive army.

Its a shame as i think its rules would only need a slight tweak to be worthwhile.

perhaps a 4+ to gain levels rather than 6. Since you dont NEED multiple wizards its just going to take you 5 VERY lucky turns to get it to max power. 4+ or 3+ and you have a reasonable chance.

and of course adding ethreal rule. I do think that the Black coach is pretty nighthaunt'y fluff wise it just needs a new paint scheme.

Sadly no matter how i try i can never seem to justify it in matched play.

Black coach shld have been a soulblight, and Mortis engine a Nighthaunt.

keep the pts for summoning like terroghiest, and the like to use situationally.

i would take 3 banshee at 2 k, 320

(Master of dark art, ring of immortality)

spirit host 6x3 720

hexwraith 1x10 320

mourngul 400

terroghiest (summon) 320

Archived