Flesh Eater Courts Newb Help

Ajay29

Ok so brand new to AoS. Like, not even played a game yet type of new...

Got the FEC box in front of me and I'm quite taken aback by the amount of plastic here to assemble! Got some questions though;

I've been looking at warscroll builder website,  and you can only have horror/flayer units in multiples of three, so if I build one of them as a courtier, I'll have 2 of the normal ones that I can't use, right?

Same for the ghouls and building one as a courtier, I'll have 9 ghouls which isn't a full unit, any way around this?

Finally, what's the MOST I can get out of this box? Like, there's the parts for a complete vampire lord by the looks of it,  any use? Is it possible to magnetise enough to have a terrorgeist, zombie dragon AND a ghoul king mounted on either and on foot options?

Cheers for any input in advance!

Welcome to the fold, noble brother! I will assay to aid you in any way I can.

6 minutes ago, Ajay29 said:

I've been looking at warscroll builder website,  and you can only have horror/flayer units in multiples of three, so if I build one of them as a courtier, I'll have 2 of the normal ones that I can't use, right?

7 minutes ago, Ajay29 said:

Same for the ghouls and building one as a courtier, I'll have 9 ghouls which isn't a full unit, any way around this?

Alas, this is the case. I recommend that you seek out the market known as "eBay," where one can acquire for a small amount of lucre the bits necessary to build additional footsoldiers to plug these lamentable gaps in your collection.

8 minutes ago, Ajay29 said:

Finally, what's the MOST I can get out of this box? Like, there's the parts for a complete vampire lord by the looks of it,  any use? Is it possible to magnetise enough to have a terrorgeist, zombie dragon AND a ghoul king mounted on either and on foot options?

Perhaps one could achieve such things, but I did not find it a worthy expenditure of my limited time. I did place a magnet upon the foot of my ghoul king so that his noble mount could take to the field without him, but rather than attempt to affix a complimentary magnet to a base, I simply turned back to eBay and acquired several older sculpts of ghouls, those standing tall and proud, and repainted as noble monarchs fighting on foot. If your coffers require you to magnetize more thoroughly, I'm sure that some of our noble kin can answer this question in more detail.

Welcome to the court @Ajay29!

You will indeed struggle to get a Horror or Flayer Courtier out of the starting box - but with the Ghouls, I used one of the spare Ghoul heads and stuck it onto the half body of the skeleton that one of the other Ghouls is holding. Snipped it off and put some basing material around it - looks like he's coming out of the ground! 

I've not tried to swap the heads on the Terrorgheist/Zombie Dragon, but have magnetised the AGK so can use him on foot or riding his monster.

Top stuff so far thanks guys, love the idea of the ghoul coming out of the ground to "make" a spare! 

Also will definitely check on eBay for a few bits and bobs, especially if I literally can't NOT have multiples of 3 crypt-kids!

EDIT- also I guess I need to start talking like a lord now! Err I mean, one needs to expand ones vernacular when conversing with fellow highborn chaps! 

Follow-up question!

Even though I'm using FEC, can I still use other death units?  Like I want to stay primarily ghoulish but can I get a few units of dire wolves or spirit hosts? Not entirely sure how the whole army thing works...

3 minutes ago, Ajay29 said:

Follow-up question!

Even though I'm using FEC, can I still use other death units?  Like I want to stay primarily ghoulish but can I get a few units of dire wolves or spirit hosts? Not entirely sure how the whole army thing works...

There aren't any faction-specific allegiance abilities for Flesh Eaters, so no, there's no reason not to do what you like.

20 minutes ago, Ajay29 said:

Follow-up question!

Yes you can take whatever you like. In the future we might see special abilities for allegiances so that if you took only flesh eater courts you would get to choose from a special table of allegiance abilities, but at the moment there are only generic death ones so you can mix and match.

If you can look at the newer battletomes you'll see what I mean, the sylvaneth and bonesplitters battletomes have them in

I personally love the FEC start collecting box and I think its a great place for someone to start who's getting into the hobby. From this one box you can literally make everything you need for your FEC army (if you choose FEC allegiance) bar a varghulf, making it a great buy.

Buying multiples gives you more Ghouls (can you ever have enough?), flayers or horrors (or vargheist if you fancy a bit of soulblight) and all the bits to make courtiers as well as a Ghoul King on zombie dragon/terrorgheist or just Beasts of the grave riderless behemoths. Whereas some other start collectings which come with a more rigid selection with maybe a hero that you wont really need multiples of except for bits perhaps?

Anywho, this is just a bonus because lets face it, we all love the FEC's for the fluff :)

Greetings, fellow noble king!  Long may you reign!

Assuming Matched Play as the default (because sadly it seems to be that way) my recommendation for starting out is to get two Start Collecting boxes, then another box of Crypt Ghouls.  This gives you a King on beastie (your choice; I say build both and experiment), two units of 20 ghouls, and 6 Horrors/Flayers (your choice).  Yes, the way Matched Play sets unit limits means if you assemble one of anything as a Courtier you'll be playing one guy down, so my recommendation for the Horrors/Flayers is to make your next purchase after you get some games in another box of Flayers, and assemble one as a Crypt Haunter Courtier and one as a Crypt Infernal Courtier; you'll have a spare one then I'm not sure what to do with (I thought of converting it into a Varghulf by using the Vargheist body, but it's not the right size and I think could cause some confusion, although I'm certain it can be done with extra parts, maybe a wolf's head or something).  This leaves the Crypt Ghast Courtier as a problem; I got around it by looking for the old metal OOP Ghoul models on eBay, since they look similar but aren't hunchback and tend to have weapons (the pack I found has one with a spiked club and one with a sword) so I'm going to use them as my Courtiers.  There's also eBay looking for one, but it's one of the IMHO screwy parts about FEC having everything in one box, since the contents didn't get increased by 1 to accommodate the extra option.  Note the main difference for the Crypt Ghast Courtier is that he's on the 32mm base and not the 25mm base, and otherwise looks like a regular ghoul.

RE: Magnetizing I think you could with the Dragon/Terrorgheist (the only difference seems to be the pose and the head; pose is irrelevant so if you magnetize the head you should be able to switch).  I've seen people have the Ghoul King on a base and then inset the base into the Terrorgheist/Zombie Dragon base when they are together, but personally I don't like this; YMMV.  There's also eBay to find an already assembled ghoul king on foot, or the old Strigoi Vampire model (ye olden days Ghoul King), or if you know someone who plays Soulblight and has a Vampire Lord on the Dragon, maybe they will be nice and give/sell you the Ghoul King, or trade or something.

12 hours ago, Ajay29 said:

Follow-up question!

Yes, of course.  I have an idea myself to include a unit of Morghasts and fluffwise they are "angelic messengers sent from God" (i.e. Nagash) that proves that my delusional court's viewpoint is the correct one, and that King Shivergloom (that's my Ghoul King) has a divine right to rule the Mortal Realms.

7 minutes ago, wayniac said:

Note the main difference for the Crypt Ghast Courtier is that he's on the 32mm base and not the 25mm base

More great advice thanks all!

Regarding the base sizes,  this is the first time I've heard about there being a difference! Where do I see what base size models are supposed to be on?

I just assumed the ghast was on the same as the regular ghouls...

EDIT - I'm even looking at the warscroll on the app and his base looks the same as the other ghouls. 

2 minutes ago, Ajay29 said:

More great advice thanks all!

Regarding the base sizes,  this is the first time I've heard about there being a difference! Where do I see what base size models are supposed to be on?

I just assumed the ghast was on the same as the regular ghouls...

Normally it doesn't matter, the Crypt Ghoul box specifically says on the back "Also includes a 32mm base to make your Crypt Ghast into a Crypt Ghast Courtier" or some such verbiage.  That's the only reason I know about it, I thought the same way.

As far as I can tell though there are no basing restrictions for AOS at all (which also allows you to use the square bases from old Warhammer Fantasy).  Technically bases don't matter anyways, but commonly used to measure (it's basically a global house rule)

5 minutes ago, wayniac said:

Normally it doesn't matter, the Crypt Ghoul box specifically says on the back "Also includes a 32mm base to make your Crypt Ghast into a Crypt Ghast Courtier" or some such verbiage.  That's the only reason I know about it, I thought the same way.

As far as I can tell though there are no basing restrictions for AOS at all (which also allows you to use the square bases from old Warhammer Fantasy).  Technically bases don't matter anyways, but commonly used to measure (it's basically a global house rule)

Teach me not to read the back of the box haha!

Also explains the mystery base in the box, I thought I'd just lucked out with a free base!

There's loads of good advice here already. My two cents would be to assemble at least one ghoul king on foot. IMO they're much more cost-effective than their flappy-borne brethren, and tend to stay alive much longer. Might be just me though. I have a irrational hate/love relationship with big monsters. they look SOO cool, but they dies SOO fast :(

Until FEC gets an update and our own allegiance perks, there is no downside to including ordinary Death models. Necromancers are great! Van Hels on a fully buffed unit of Ghouls or Horrors is an absolute bloodbath! Vampire lords make great generals (sacrilege I know), giving you a much more useful command ability.

The great thing about FEC's is they have such great fluff that the army has such great possibilities for conversions, if you ever feel you want to start being a bit more creative,  making your models slightly more unique.  You could do anything from jazzing up your bases to adding cloaks or crowns to putting horror heads on knights of the realm. Its really up to you and that may not interest you but if it is I think its a great faction to start that with since most models are really blank canvases. 

As a side note, I also find that growing your nails out, not bathing (bloodbath being the exception of course) and wearing your most regal loincloth (we do have standards), while muttering under your breath, seems to have a significant affect on your opponents bravery.

16 minutes ago, Thomas James said:

Hi guys - a great and informative thread - it has allayed ALL major concerns I had when I started this army only last week! 

Just to clarify - how many of you guys are FEC collectors?

I play a lot of FEC models, but still not exclusively them

12 minutes ago, Thomas James said:

How have you found painting the details on the ghoul models? I find the fur/bone sections on their backs to be a little cluttered. Also - which other death forces have you borrowed?

Dry brush^^You can paint them separately or give them the main colors and the n refine, it's no particularly difficult to do.

I use also skeletons, zombies and Vampires. I prefer other battlelines to ghouls usually. Butas main characters I preger Ghoul Kings riding beasts^^

1 hour ago, Thomas James said:

Hi guys - a great and informative thread - it has allayed ALL major concerns I had when I started this army only last week! 

Just to clarify - how many of you guys are FEC collectors?

I bought the king vlagorachus box when I started age of sigmar 4 months ago. I've now added a mourngul and blood knights but I still love my FEC

Archived