Model Variety Vs Rules Variety

Turragor

So I have my own opinion about the new Stormcast hero and it's kind of towards the rules variety side of this discussion (I like having options on the board even if a model is similar to another).

What I'm interested in is the general consensus with this kind of release, do people want more model variety (cooler models) at the expense of more variety on the board (some assets from models reused to get a new hero out).

There's a lot to this, even on the business side. Like do GW spend the same time on a model of this nature, relatively, as they would on a new model (packaging, rules writing, lore writing, the works minus a full new sculpt).

It doesn't have to be an either or I don't think but it surely takes some sharing of resources.

What do people think?

As long as there's enough variety, it's all cool. I wish every model could get its "own" super amazing, uniqueylishous sculpt, but that's not actually that important. As long as each model is different enough from the others, we can do a lot. 90% of the Space Marine range is very, very similar, but people eat up every last little difference. For good reason. As long as they're different, we can tell different stories.

Actually the new release triggered similar thought on me, but from different angle.

The only HQ that got two different models in SE is Knight Herrald (not considering starter box), which is neither important in storyline nor very popular in most SE list. Also its price is not very high. But that guy got two different models.

And now the new hero in SE has quite interesting rules and very unique positioning, I would say there is much more potential in it. Also its price is quite high. But its model is just Lord Castlelant with new head and weapons.

To be honest I dont see too much logic here. I would say if they save the effort on the new model for Herald and use this budget to develop a new Lord Vestend it might be even more successful. Or, imagine they develop a new White Dwarf instead of this trolling one... At least it wont bring negative impact on GW's brand image.

Some possible situation in my mind is, in the beginning of 2016 AOS department got very high budget that they dont know how to spend, so they develop this Knight Herald double pose for fun. And running in late 2016 they feel the budget need more control so they decide to change the head of a Lord Castlelant....

The Product Management in GW has always been very odd and a problem for its success. Maybe its because I am a product manager so I can see it so clear...

I'm an entirely vile grognard but I really like the recent Bloodbound and Stormcast clampacks that share CAD parts with previous characters. They remind me of old school Citadel sculpts that would be a different head and weapon stuck on an existing body with some subtle changes to the minis clothing and the stuff hanging off his belt.

V3Xk2Aj.jpg

If you're saying that all the stormcast look alike and so I find their army boring to look at then I'm with you. Every model boils down to dude in heavy armour. However, I did like the dragon because at least that was some variety. 

Lots of the armies are very close to that except have something that's different. Like Bretonnia used to have the peasants. Seraphon had both the skinks and Slaan.

Elves and Dwarves used to seem a little samey back in the day as well and I think Stormcast are also like this.

Variety is definitely the spice of gaming ?

16 minutes ago, Oppenheimer said:

Dwarves

a little samey back in the day

Please take that back. The sole reason dwarfs have been able to hold my interest for a long enough amount of time for me to paint several hundread of them to a decent standard is the variety the individual models display in their outfits and wargear.

Spoiler

JWSAMlE.jpg

gThn2vI.jpg

I guess slayers are some variety. But otherwise they don't really have mounts before the fyreslayers. They didn't have any chariots, warbeasts, monstrous infantry or anything. Just war machines and guys on foot.

Don't get me wrong. I liked them back in the day. I thought the anvil of doom was nice but I got really bored with all of them having the same stat line with very little mix them up.

6 hours ago, Aeonotakist said:

Actually the new release triggered similar thought on me, but from different angle.

The only HQ that got two different models in SE is Knight Herrald (not considering starter box), which is neither important in storyline nor very popular in most SE list. Also its price is not very high. But that guy got two different models.

And now the new hero in SE has quite interesting rules and very unique positioning, I would say there is much more potential in it. Also its price is quite high. But its model is just Lord Castlelant with new head and weapons.

To be honest I dont see too much logic here. I would say if they save the effort on the new model for Herald and use this budget to develop a new Lord Vestend it might be even more successful. Or, imagine they develop a new White Dwarf instead of this trolling one... At least it wont bring negative impact on GW's brand image.

Some possible situation in my mind is, in the beginning of 2016 AOS department got very high budget that they dont know how to spend, so they develop this Knight Herald double pose for fun. And running in late 2016 they feel the budget need more control so they decide to change the head of a Lord Castlelant....

The Product Management in GW has always been very odd and a problem for its success. Maybe its because I am a product manager so I can see it so clear...

It's expensive (same price as the Lord-Castellant) because it comes with a Gryph-hound.

7 hours ago, Oppenheimer said:

If you're saying that all the stormcast look alike and so I find their army boring to look at then I'm with you. Every model boils down to dude in heavy armour. However, I did like the dragon because at least that was some variety. 

Lots of the armies are very close to that except have something that's different. Like Bretonnia used to have the peasants. Seraphon had both the skinks and Slaan.

Elves and Dwarves used to seem a little samey back in the day as well and I think Stormcast are also like this.

Variety is definitely the spice of gaming ?

I think they are all kind of similar but for me that's the theme and it's not boring. Personal taste I guess. I do also like space marines for the same reason. The word I'd probably use is "regimented" or maybe "uniformed". Their style is very firm and clear and warped or tweaked a little for new units. 

When I want to scratch an itch for an individualist army I'll go mixed destruction or these new tzeentch boyos. 

I was wondering mosly about the reuse of parts of sprues as a means to getting unique rules on the table at the expense of unique models. 

It's all almost a nod to gw before the new model focus. Like "here's a not 100% new model but its a new warscroll" 

3 hours ago, arnoldrew said:

It's expensive (same price as the Lord-Castellant) because it comes with a Gryph-hound.

Because it's expensive, logically GW would like to put more cool elementsm in it to boost its sales.

But they didn't and they put a second pose on Knight Herald which I really doubt how many people have bought all two of them...

Why not give the new hero a different pose but same uniform as Lord Castlelant to show 'we have put a lot effert on him'? Also why the new white dwarf like that ******?

1 hour ago, Aeonotakist said:

Also why the new white dwarf like that ******?

This is pure conjecture, but I suspect the 'new' White Dwarf/Grombrindal model is the result of the decision to relaunch the magazine being a relatively recent one, and having a shorter lead in time than the process of creating a new plastic character model from concept to appearing on the shelves. With this in mind, I can't speak for anyone else but if faced with the choice of having no new White Dwarf model to celebrate the launch of the magazine, or what we got, a rerelease of an already gorgeous model with fun rules and background updating us on what Grombrindal's been up to since the world blew up, I know which one I'd go for!

3 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

This is pure conjecture, but I suspect the 'new' White Dwarf/Grombrindal model is the result of the decision to relaunch the magazine being a relatively recent one, and having a shorter lead in time than the process of creating a new plastic character model from concept to appearing on the shelves. With this in mind, I can't speak for anyone else but if faced with the choice of having no new White Dwarf model to celebrate the launch of the magazine, or what we got, a rerelease of an already gorgeous model with fun rules and background updating us on what Grombrindal's been up to since the world blew up, I know which one I'd go for!

But it is still not organized product launch... Usually in a businee, the launch date of a new product like new WD magzine will be communiated in the company six months before the release. And all related activities will be designed around this launch activity.

23 hours ago, Aeonotakist said:

But it is still not organized product launch... Usually in a businee, the launch date of a new product like new WD magzine will be communiated in the company six months before the release. And all related activities will be designed around this launch activity.

Not necessarily :)  GW operates very much with a 'need to know' culture nowadays and I've a feeling the new format WD was pretty heavily guarded (the team doing WD don't do anything else within the company either).  Production for new models is also on average 2 years which would explain why they decided to give this model a new lease of life for AoS.

I'm fine with reusing assets, but I'd prefer clampacks come with two optional builds. Makes me more likely to pick one up, seems slightly more valuable. As it is, I find it very hard to justify buying any of the $30+ (Canadian money) characters. Just seems way too much for one infantry model, which is why I love the Silver Tower hero packs.

On that note, I'm kind of missing the plastics of my youth, when you had a bit more range to model them how you like. Everything new it seems is kind of assemble by the numbers. Even though it makes the poses better, I don't find the assembly as enjoyable as I do with the old stuff that let you be a bit more loose with it.

Archived