TOW 1.0 - Warriors Of Chaos

Hey fellow marauders, chosen, and forsaken! Since we now have an old world sub forum It seems appropriate for a topic about the true rulers of the old world. The chaos gods!!

Has anyone gotten games in with our wonderful warriors or are you still in the theory crafting and painting stages?

I managed to have a game against dwarves yesterday and I've found our roster to be interesting at least. I mostly ran chaos warriors with some chosen knights, ogres, a demon prince, exalted champion, and exalted sorcerer. I think we can have some really fun magic and I definitely like daemonology for us. I'm glad I gave all my heroes favoured by chaos even if my champion did reroll a 1 into a 1.

One thing I found was it felt like whilst my DP was very tough she really lacked solid damage having only the ap-1 from ensorcelled weapon, though granted she did end up getting stuck going into iron breakers. Some of our main issues I found were the slowness of the warriors and the high cost of the units meaning losing a unit really hurt in terms of VP's. Does anyone have any units they're finding to prove quite useful or like the look of? 

I will say though I did enjoy my game and like that our basic infantry have some really nice stat lines that help them keep alive and do some damage as well. Even if I kept forgetting half my extra rules...

• Like 1

I have a bunch unbuilt one as I think WoC will be my second Old World army after Bretts.

Rough plan (based on the kits I have) is:

• Lord on demonic mount or Deamon Prince (using the lord from the christmas box or the old Throgg respectifly)
  • 10 Knights
  • 10 Chosen
  • 20 Warriors
  • 1 Chariot
  • 1 Giant
  • 3 Oger/dradon oger or troll or some such (using the Ogorid scupls from the Christmas box)

I then have some AoS1 starter khorne themed stuff, I think enough for a BSB, foot lord, 5 more warriors/chosen and 10 maruders

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Trokair said:

I have a bunch unbuilt one as I think WoC will be my second Old World army after Bretts.

Rough plan (based on the kits I have) is:

• Lord on demonic mount or Deamon Prince (using the lord from the christmas box or the old Throgg respectifly)
  • 10 Knights
  • 10 Chosen
  • 20 Warriors
  • 1 Chariot
  • 1 Giant
  • 3 Oger/dradon oger or troll or some such (using the Ogorid scupls from the Christmas box)

I then have some AoS1 starter khorne themed stuff, I think enough for a BSB, foot lord, 5 more warriors/chosen and 10 maruders

I also use my ogroids as chaos Ogres.

Yeah I think thats a good shout using the blood secrator as a BSB, it'll definitely stand out. I'd say you definitely have enough models to make a proper sized list. With the newer chaos stuff though you may need to do some alterations to make them rank up. For knights especially I had to trim the cloak and armswap the unit champion to make him rank up well on the 30x60mm

1 minute ago, Lightbox said:

With the newer chaos stuff though you may need to do some alterations to make them rank up. For knights especially I had to trim the cloak and armswap the unit champion to make him rank up well on the 30x60mm

Yea, saw a video a few weeks back of someone doing it with Warriors and Knights, so there will be some trimming and such in my future, should not be too much of a problem from what I have seen. Hopefully....

I have a vague notion of re-basing my many Slaves to Darkness units (currently seeing very little use as Hedonites coalition troops) and starting an Old World army.

Was flicking through a friend's Ravening Hordes book.... is there no Warshrine in the list? Nor Hellstriders? That's dispiriting. Do we assume they're going to find a place in the Arcane thingy book when it comes along? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

I have a vague notion of re-basing my many Slaves to Darkness units (currently seeing very little use as Hedonites coalition troops) and starting an Old World army.

Was flicking through a friend's Ravening Hordes book.... is there no Warshrine in the list? Nor Hellstriders? That's dispiriting. Do we assume they're going to find a place in the Arcane thingy book when it comes along? 

DO IT!

The Warshrine missing is a bit weird, though the Hellstriders and Bloodcrushers not being included could be justified by the power of Chaos not flowing that strong at the time the game's set, and daemons having a hard time manifesting. Imagine if they are included it'll be in the Arcane Journal. Nothing to stop you from using Hellstriders as marked Marauder Cav, and lifting the steed rules from the Daemons of Chaos PDF to houserule them in friendly games though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

Thats very much what I've been doing tbf. I don't see myself playing S2D in aos anymore.

Now I just need to find ways to kitbash some flails.

Edited by Lightbox

The Warshrine is an odd absence. It's not, as far as I can tell, a Daemonic mount, so the whole "chaos isn't as ascendent so Daemons don't manifest easily" thing doesn't apply, and it's an old WHFB mini.

My theory: they're going to make a new mini for it, so it'll come out with the Chaos release.

8 hours ago, JerekKruger said:

The Warshrine is an odd absence. It's not, as far as I can tell, a Daemonic mount, so the whole "chaos isn't as ascendent so Daemons don't manifest easily" thing doesn't apply, and it's an old WHFB mini.

My theory: they're going to make a new mini for it, so it'll come out with the Chaos release.

I assumed it was because they're intending to keep it as an Age of Sigmar model, and they don't have an older sculpt to fall back on for The Old World. 

2 hours ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

I assumed it was because they're intending to keep it as an Age of Sigmar model, and they don't have an older sculpt to fall back on for The Old World. 

Maybe, but they've not announced that the plastic Iron Breakers and Hammerers are being released for TOW (I assumed they'd bring back the old metal ones) so there's not such an obvious split between the ranges as I had at first thought.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of converting some Dragon Ogres using the excellent Ogroid Theridons from AoS for the Torso, and I'm trying to decide what I should use as the lower body. Interested to know if anyone that has done this and, if so, what worked. Currently my thoughts are: 

1 - Celestial Dracolines. Pros = good size and they are scaled. Cons = a lot of tidying up to remove the moulded on legs of the Stormcast Rider.

2 - Aggradons. Pros = even more lizardy than Dracolines and shouldn't be as hard to tidy up. Cons = might be a big slight in comparison to Theridon's body. 

3 - Varanguard mounts. Pros = already Chaosy and mount seems largely separate to rider (also lots of Chaos conversion bits). Cons = not lizardy and I'd need to sell my liver to buy a set. 

4 - Centaurion Marshall. Pros = bloody gorgeous lower body with an (IMHO) awful upper body, plus the upper and lower are basically already separate and it comes pre-centaured. Cons = I can only really make one, so one really good if I want to user it as a solo Shartak (not the worst thing in the world), and not lizardy at all. 

5 - Karkadrak. Pros = perhaps the most Dragon Ogrey body out there, and already Chaosified. Cons = same as Centaurion Marshall in that can only really make one, and being an easy build kit I suspect it'll be hell to get the rider off.

6 - Kragnos. Okay, this is probably a joke, and if it wasn't it's be a Shaggoth 😄

Any other ideas? Any thoughts?

In case you had not seen, but Dracolines are one of the units being removed come AoS4, they get more modern sculpts later, but for the moment they are out. 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/04/whats-leaving-the-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-range/

I have not done this conversion, but I have converted plenty over the years including the Silver Tower and War Cry Ogroids, and I assume they are of similar dimension.

If so then Aggradons are probably to lithe.

Karkadrak might be ok.

Have you considered Dracoths, they are bigger than Dracolines, and probably similar to Karkadrak. You would have to chaosfy them, but any lightning iconography can probably stay. Also the big chest plat could probably hide some of the connection of the conversion.

99120218009_StormcastDracothianCastelant

30 minutes ago, JerekKruger said:

The reason I've considered Aggradons is I saw this reddit post. However because of the viewing angle it's hard to tell whether the body is too small or not.

Interesting, Thanks for sharing.

Looks like they used the character Aggradon which migth be bigger that the normal ones, not sure, not seen them in person yet. 

Having seen a few examples of people using Dracolines that look excellent (their body size fits Ogroid perfectly), and then still being available from GW at the moment, I've gone ahead and ordered some.

As a side note, Abraxia might make a pretty cool basis for a Shaggoth. Though I'm not sure what Torso to use an Ogroids might be a little on the small side.

22 minutes ago, Trokair said:

The Dracolines  must be bigger than I thought, but if it works then great. let us know how it goes. 

They are surprisingly big yes. If you're interested: https://old.reddit.com/r/WarhammerFantasy/comments/1br8mp3/dragon_ogre_shartak_ready_for_paint/

One of the things that's a bit weird is that the existing (or formerly existing) Shaggoth is hardly bigger than the plastic Dragon Ogres (and both are on 50x75mm bases in TOW). Seems a shame not to have Shaggoths be significantly bigger.

9 hours ago, JerekKruger said:

What are people's thoughts on the Darkoath box? Good Marauder and Spawn proxies or no? Does the Chieftain in horse have use as anything (he is somewhat lacking in armor to be wearing Chaos Armour, but he looks good)?

Marauders are cool, but they really overdid it with the dynamic poses IMHO. Even with 25mm bases, some of their models will align / look a bit awkwardly in close order formation. Cavalry should be easier with 30x60 mm. Spawn looks quite big, not sure he'll fit on a 50mm square base. Otherwise, I'm actually thinking he would look great as a Daemon Prince.

The hero, you can play it as aspiring champion IMHO. If you convert him a bit (like adding a helm, some mutation that look more "armory"), he would easily count as wearing heavy armor. Maybe not equip it too "armory" in terms of list options like the other warriors of chaos in your army, so that it doesn't get too confusing.

Edited by Sarouan

12 hours ago, JerekKruger said:

What are people's thoughts on the Darkoath box? Good Marauder and Spawn proxies or no? Does the Chieftain in horse have use as anything (he is somewhat lacking in armor to be wearing Chaos Armour, but he looks good)?

The Darkoath are awesome. I think they certainly have a use in TOW. I am bit sad, that I already spend way to much on the hobby the last couple of months, otherwise I would certainly bought that box. Be it for AoS or TOW.

I might get some when I get round to doing my WoC, maybe a bit of mix and matching with the older kit or with some of the other Chaos Humans form AoS (I have a bunch of the Khorne lot fromAoS1). That might help with spacing a little.

The Chieftain on horse I was thinking perhaps a mounted sorcerer or some such.. .

As for the fiend, maybe as a stand in for a lone dragon oger  (or even a Shaggoth? depending on size...)

4 hours ago, Sarouan said:

Marauders are cool, but they really overdid it with the dynamic poses IMHO. Even with 25mm bases, some of their models will align / look a bit awkwardly in close order formation.

Yeah that's my concern. I'm just not sure they'll look that good ranked up. To be honest I'm not sure they look that good even in AoS: they're maybe a but too over the top.

Cavalry should be easier with 30x60 mm.

Huh, I assumed Marauder Horsemen would be on 25x50mm bases. Tell be absolutely fine on 30x60mm.

Spawn looks quite big, not sure he'll fit on a 50mm square base.

Assuming the Marauder Horsemen are on the same size bases as Freeguild Cavaliers (which seems likely), is day he's on a 60mm round base. Might be a tight squeeze, but I reckon he'll probably go on a 50mm square.

Otherwise, I'm actually thinking he would look great as a Daemon Prince.

That's also true though. Nice idea.

The hero, you can play it as aspiring champion IMHO. If you convert him a bit (like adding a helm, some mutation that look more "armory"), he would easily count as wearing heavy armor. Maybe not equip it too "armory" in terms of list options like the other warriors of chaos in your army, so that it doesn't get too confusing.

Huh, I assumed all Chaos Champions came with Full Plate as standard, but it's only the Lord that does. Yeah, I think he could be a decent Aspiring Champion.

I also like @Trokair's suggestion of a sorcerer. Give him some sort of staff and he'll look the part.

Completely unrelated to the Darkoath box: thoughts on using the Fomoroid Crusher as a Chaos Giant? Is he big enough? I get the feeling he's similar size to the 6th edition metal O&G giant, but the question then becomes "is that really big enough" in today's world of much larger GW minis.