Cities of Sigmar Hobby & Lore 2: Dawnbringer Boogaloo

Neil Arthur Hotep

8 hours ago, JCBhatesblank said:

My original plan was to paint different units from different cities, going for a united forces kinda thing, but I was kinda crapped on by folks at the local Warhammer store because 'you have to pick one' apparently to fit in. 😅

I still kind of want to go with that, because they're my little toy soldiers, but I may end up settling on Misthavn just to amp up the Mordheim gritty feels I want to mess with in regards to style. 

I'm not  a GW hater or anything like that, I think there just another company making money, and I really like there products. I say this to set the tone for when I say :

The best thing you can do in this hobby to enjoy it the most in my opinion is not play at official GW stores.

They see those tables as an opurtunity to capture an audience for as long as possible to sell more product. Those tables are not there for you, there there for GW.

This is fair anough, they spend the wages, time and money to set them up, but it should be acknowledged.

I know in some places it is hard to find groups, but if you can you should try finding a local group not associated with any sales store. No one in these groups would give an F about how you paint your minis, I'd be surprised if they weren't surportive in fact.

GW don't want you to use different colour schemes because that way you spend more to try different factions. They did this with space marines. It's just part and parcel of GW ******.

You paint your army any damm way you like mate. And if people don't like it. F em.

I sure am not painting a single faction colour. I'll be doing my own colour scheme. One of the coolest things with cities is that you can be a different army everytime you play. I don't want to be locked into one faction

As a quick edit. I think your idea is very good. You can simply say lore wise that for whatever reason different cities have contributed a few units each to field an army because neither one had the men spare to send a full army themselves. That works for me. I may pinch this idea myself. 👍😁

Edited by Thugmullet
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Thugmullet said:

As a quick edit. I think your idea is very good. You can simply say lore wise that for whatever reason different cities have contributed a few units each to field an army because neither one had the men spare to send a full army themselves. That works for me. I may pinch this idea myself. 👍😁

The lore in the new battletome even sets this up perfectly. In the diary pages scattered through the book, there is one that mentions the Dawnbringer Crusade from Hammerhal exchanging two cannons for a unit of infantry from Lethis, which later helps them survive an encounter with some Nighthaunt. Made it seem like the Crusades constantly exchange troops amongst themselves. I think having a mixed city army makes a lot of sense.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

And here starts my new hobby journey with CoS (the box arrived today). 

Aucune description disponible.

Gonna fine tune the colour scheme while assembling the minis, gonna go for a sea green and blue scheme.

Lucky you. I am waiting for my two boxes still. Delivery problems around here :(

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just some useful info for when assembling your minis !

• The Marshall's cloak is a pain to assemble correctly, if you're not careful they'll be weird little gaps you'll need to fill in with greenstuff. For me they weren't too big so I fixed them by pouring plastic glue inside until the melted plastic fixed it.
  • Cavalier banner bearer is a pain to assemble, you might consider drilling the banner bearing arm so it doesn't fall off or be very patient with glue.
  • Make sure you assemble your Steelhelm command first because it's very easy to get confused assembling them (I certainly did).
  • Shields obscure many mini details. Personally I'm not glueing them rn, gonna glue them once the mini and the shields are fully painted both.
  • Marshall has some noticeable mold lines (but nowhere near WFB kits level), on Steelhelms and Cavaliers they're inexistant.
  • Cavalier reins break on a whim, I had one break on the sprue while I was gently clipping it away - be super careful with those.

• Edit : I didn't glue the Cavalier horse armour onto the lower horse body for easier transportation/priming in sub assemblies. You can just lay the upper body on the lower one and it's ok.
Edited by The Lost Sigmarite
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

And here starts my new hobby journey with CoS (the box arrived today). 

Aucune description disponible.

Gonna fine tune the colour scheme while assembling the minis, gonna go for a sea green and blue scheme.

Just got notified by my LFGS that they are handing over my order for delivery tomorrow. Hopefully it arrives early next week so I can get started on these miserable swamp-lads too.

• Like 3

On 9/1/2023 at 4:28 AM, Thugmullet said:

I'm not  a GW hater or anything like that, I think there just another company making money, and I really like there products. I say this to set the tone for when I say :

The best thing you can do in this hobby to enjoy it the most in my opinion is not play at official GW stores.

They see those tables as an opurtunity to capture an audience for as long as possible to sell more product. Those tables are not there for you, there there for GW.

This is fair anough, they spend the wages, time and money to set them up, but it should be acknowledged.

I know in some places it is hard to find groups, but if you can you should try finding a local group not associated with any sales store. No one in these groups would give an F about how you paint your minis, I'd be surprised if they weren't surportive in fact.

GW don't want you to use different colour schemes because that way you spend more to try different factions. They did this with space marines. It's just part and parcel of GW ******.

You paint your army any damm way you like mate. And if people don't like it. F em.

I sure am not painting a single faction colour. I'll be doing my own colour scheme. One of the coolest things with cities is that you can be a different army everytime you play. I don't want to be locked into one faction

I’m personally going for a landsknecht, Reichsläufer army for my cities of sigmar.

personally I wouldn’t bother with a single paintscheme uniting your forces or not.

the landsknecht or Reichsläufer weren’t really known to wear or be equipped with the same weapon in a line and so on.

and having each and every unit representing a different clan, family  etc. is still something amazing to look at.

so go with the scheme you want to paint your minis

• Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 1:18 PM, Skreech Verminking said:

I’m personally going for a landsknecht, Reichsläufer army for my cities of sigmar.

personally I wouldn’t bother with a single paintscheme uniting your forces or not.

the landsknecht or Reichsläufer weren’t really known to wear or be equipped with the same weapon in a line and so on.

and having each and every unit representing a different clan, family  etc. is still something amazing to look at.

so go with the scheme you want to paint your minis

Regimented looks have a charm to them.

But mixed regimented looks have their own charm making the army look "alive" on the table.

Having a army that looks like its mixed from different clans/tribsr/families/regions makes perfect sense for certain periods. All my infantry units are also visually broken into clans by having 3 different color schemes for armor, and the varried color for the clothing.

I encourage anyone who wants to enjoy painting their army in different styles to go for it. It also makes the batch painting far less tedious haha~

Spoiler

30946307_2179588255399716_33345995_o.jpg.a4c1ebea4db1bae9a4b0747cc3478702.jpg30772485_2179588415399700_2017584111_o.jpg.cb2886d47694ea3634f204232602fb6c.jpg31773127_2189264767765398_8331320862917525504_n.jpg.e682ba35ac6a184e807902353e401bcc.jpg31563985_2189264887765386_8782441644751323136_n.jpg.b2140afe885d4d62a92b907ee28b40c7.jpg

Edited by Myrdin
  • Like 2

Got my box on release day, and I've started to order a few Frostgrave sprues to see how they are for headswaps for the Steelhelms, plus some Saint Decent prints for one of the 10 man units. The box is pretty solid value overall, to the point that if this is one of those overproduced boxes, I may try to grab a second since the Cavaliers and Steelhelms alone cover the $170ish cost you can find the box for. 

Thanks for the kind words folks, really and truly. Was beating the ****** out of myself before just because the options for AoS here are lacking in regards to players versus, say 40k or Blood Bowl.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JCBhatesblank said:

Got my box on release day, and I've started to order a few Frostgrave sprues to see how they are for headswaps for the Steelhelms, plus some Saint Decent prints for one of the 10 man units. The box is pretty solid value overall, to the point that if this is one of those overproduced boxes, I may try to grab a second since the Cavaliers and Steelhelms alone cover the $170ish cost you can find the box for. 

Thanks for the kind words folks, really and truly. Was beating the ****** out of myself before just because the options for AoS here are lacking in regards to players versus, say 40k or Blood Bowl.

Aaah, good choice! 👍

Majority of my Beast of Chaos Ungors are composed of Frostgrave gnolls!. Double the miniatures in the box for same price. Yes the details are lacking, but good painter can do marvels even without them, and people like me who are fine with just table top level for their horde style units dont really worry about that anyway.

Edited by Myrdin

My plan for painting was going to be using slightly different colour schemes for certain unit types to give a sort of regiment theme (think like how napoleonic british had the redcoats as their main uniform but then you also had regiments like the rifles who wore their green jackets). I was gonna base my main scheme on one of the transfers, proooobably the fish and sword one (using stormfiend as my blue colour) but I may instead base around one of the cavalier heraldry transfers. I love that the banners and shields have a nice moulded section to neatly fit transfers into. I also have a bunch of transfers from star wars legion so like... Mandalorian mythosaur could also be a banner option ;)

But I also have some of the pinkest pink from culture hustle so like... part of me is tempted to just go bright and weird! I can already see myself getting some choice paralysis on colour scheme 😅

On a conversion note I do like that the steelhelms have a lot of non helmet heads as well so I can do things like greenstuff hats onto them or make them look a bit less disciplined soldier (amazing how much the vibe can change just using the helmetless heads compared to the helmeted ones) and I did manage to put a steelhelm head on my marshal but it did require a fair bit of cutting down due to the different neck joint. I had wanted to use a sisters of battle head but I found they're too small, which is a bit of a shame as that range could have been fun for conversion bits. The Cavaliers are a joy to put together as a kit, but I ended up leaving off their back banners and miscellany because it just felt too busy and I think they look fine without those (plus I didn't want to paint them). I'm probably also going to make a cavalier marshall from the old empire general on horse kit as I'm not all that fussed with the new model (It's nice but not exciting enough for me that I feel I need to buy it when I have another serviceable option) and hopefully use some spare shields and arms from the other kits. The cavalier helmets having the mask part put on separately also feels like it could be super useful for conversions, and for posing its great as you can have open visors.

• Like 1

I also received my armybox this week.

I am thinking about three CoS armies. I am not really bothered about how strong the armylists will be.

• Misthavn: Lots of dark elves (GW and Last Sword) and a core of one or two units of 20 steelhelms and a marshall and battlemage. All the strong hitters + general will be dark elves.
  • Lethis: Still a lot of steelhelms, fuseliers, but the strong hitters will be Stormcast (Anvilgard).
  • Hammerhal Aqsha: A pure CoS human force with unique characters, cavaliers, calaier marshall, warforger and etc.. The posterboy army.

I am going to do a painting log about it.

6 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Here's a little conversion idea for those of you looking for an alternative Cavalry-Marshall:

20230917_1222402.jpg.e3cf61dd2b50999fa6b9cc9a18a8826c.jpg

Using extra parts from the Cavalier and foot Marshall kits you can make a pretty cool conversion using the Lord Solar kit as a base. Chamonite cog-horse is 100% lore friendly.

Woah, awesome. So much helpful this kind of conversions to get ideas. Keep the nice work.

• Thanks 1

In my constant quest to find female human heads I was pointed toward the Navy Breachers killteam and now I'm looking at them and wondering whether I could make a unit of freeguild out of them... thoughts on how they might sit alongside our new range?

Edited by Lightbox

6 minutes ago, Lightbox said:

In my constant quest to find female human heads I was pointed toward the Navy Breachers killteam and now I'm looking at them and wondering whether I could make a unit of freeguild out of them...

There are at least a few female heads in the Steelhelm kit already, so that's good news, and a few more androgynous ones. The bigger barrier to a full female unit is probably that there are one or two fairly clearly male coded bodies in the kit that will be hard to sell as women with just a head swap.

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep

2 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

There are at least a few female heads in the Steelhelm kit already, so that's good news, and a few more androgynous ones. The bigger barrier to a full female unit is probably that there are one two fairly clearly male coded bodies in the kit that will be hard to sell as women with just a head swap.

They are definitely nice, Im a big fan of a lot of the bare heads in the steelhelms in general tbh. I just like to collect multiple different heads for characters and such.

My main train of thought though was whether I could use the breacher bodies and make them into something like steelhelms or fusiliers (headswaps most likely) as I felt their armour looked like it could fit with AoS but im a little unsure on whether they might stand out too much as being different.

15 hours ago, Lightbox said:

They are definitely nice, Im a big fan of a lot of the bare heads in the steelhelms in general tbh. I just like to collect multiple different heads for characters and such.

My main train of thought though was whether I could use the breacher bodies and make them into something like steelhelms or fusiliers (headswaps most likely) as I felt their armour looked like it could fit with AoS but im a little unsure on whether they might stand out too much as being different.

You might be on to something there. For all those who (like me) don't 100% know what the Imperial Navy Breachers look like:

Spoiler

60010199046_ENGIntoDarkGroup1.jpg

I think there is some real potential there for a Freeguild conversion. Their coats and chest armour even kind of look like the Fusilier designs. They are generally not too techy. A lot of 40k models are hard to convert imo because of all the wires and cyber-gubbins they have all over the place, but for these guys none of those seem too hard to just cut off.

The big question is what unit they could be a base for. Maybe Fusiliers in a city heavily themed around KO allies? Still seems like a lot of work, though. I think maybe they work better as the base for a Freeguild Marshall in a tech-focussed city. If there was such a thing as a Freeguild engineer, they would be a really good start.

• Like 1