AoS Cities of Sigmar Battletome 2023 Discussion

4 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

Hi all, i got a question but i sadly dont own the CoS tome. 

What cities/subfactions are known for fighting orruks or gitz? I know about Excelsis but that is where my knowledge ends. Also what city is from Hysh?

Settler's Gain, the Lumineth-allied city is in Hysh.

As for who fights Orruks, I think all of them? But recently, the reformation that explains the new look of Cities of Sigmar in the lore was originally adopted by Tahlia Vedra during a prolonged attack by Kruleboyz. Tahlia Vedra belongs to Hammerhal Aqsha (or just Hammerhal in general). If I recall correctly Braggit the Rabble Rowzer's efforts were also focused on Hammerhal in Dawnbringers 1.

3 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Settler's Gain, the Lumineth-allied city is in Hysh.

As for who fights Orruks, I think all of them? But recently, the reformation that explains the new look of Cities of Sigmar in the lore was originally adopted by Tahlia Vedra during a prolonged attack by Kruleboyz. Tahlia Vedra belongs to Hammerhal Aqsha (or just Hammerhal in general). If I recall correctly Braggit the Rabble Rowzer's efforts were also focused on Hammerhal in Dawnbringers 1.

What would a settlers gain paint scheme look like? Any good references in the tome? 

20 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

They are blue and white with gold metallics. There are a few reference pictures in the battletome, but I don't have it on hand right now. Maybe someone else can take a few pictures.

Painting blue/white/gold would be a nice change from the usual greens and reds and rusty metals. Thanks!

Edited by Gitzdee

2 hours ago, Gitzdee said:

What would a settlers gain paint scheme look like? Any good references in the tome? 

Light silver and white lacquered armour (shoulder pads and helmet trim), blue and white cloth, and gold accents. Should have a Steelhelm inthe scheme in one of the Cities WarCom design articles.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

We’re getting a starter box !

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/02/12/cities-of-sigmar-and-flesh-eater-courts-bolster-their-ranks-with-new-spearhead-boxes/

Thoughts ? Is it a good place to start a collection or grow one after getting the army box ? (Spoiler : I think it is). 

IMG_8765.jpeg

I like the box as a start for new players. The cavalier + marshal combo can go in most lists as a power pair, and 10 Steelhelms are definitely reasonable for any cities player to own and run as a screen. The cannon is not the best shooting per point in Cities currently, but a lot more manageable for new players to paint than a big Fusilier block. Plus, it's a great model that gets people excited.

I don't know if the box is great as an expansion of the starter box, though. You are doubling up on a lot of units with it and might not want to run 10 Cavaliers or 30 Steelhelms.

7 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

The cannon is not the best shooting per point in Cities currently, but a lot more manageable for new players to paint than a big Fusilier block.

I am still at building a 20 strong Fusiliers block and I felt this. 

I think it’s a great box to have some options to play at 1000 pts. You can experiment some new things with the cannon, Marshall + Cavaliers…

7 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I don't know if the box is great as an expansion of the starter box, though. You are doubling up on a lot of units with it and might not want to run 10 Cavaliers or 30 Steelhelms.

Gonna grab it when I tech to 2000 pts, that’s certain. I might want to run 30 Steelhelms or 10 Cavaliers at this scale.

Also, it’s 550 pts in a box, not bad at all. Combat Patrols can only dream of such value…

Edited by The Lost Sigmarite
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

Also, it’s 550 pts in a box, not bad at all. Combat Patrols can only dream of such value…

At release (haven't followed changes in points) Combat patrols had an average value around 500pts so not that different. Good summary here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer40k/comments/14bdynj/ive_done_the_maths_for_10th_ed_points_costs_for/

• Thanks 1

How large is a Griffon? I simply cannot get one right as it is sold out everywhere I look. But I can snag a "New" Bretonnian Pegasus and try to kitbash my way into one. I know what basesize the Griffon is on but will the Pegasus look significantly off as a "Counts as" for it.

3 hours ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/02/12/cities-of-sigmar-and-flesh-eater-courts-bolster-their-ranks-with-new-spearhead-boxes/

Thoughts ? Is it a good place to start a collection or grow one after getting the army box ? (Spoiler : I think it is). 

IMG_8765.jpeg

I would advocate that 3 of these boxes, a Fusil Major on Ogor, and an Alchemite Warforger, and the Purple Sun, could prove a pretty solid army.  All Orders could be issued, could definitely get some battle tactics in.  Or if just getting 2 boxes, add in a Hurricanum and Steam Tank and a Mage.

On 2/12/2024 at 11:10 AM, Gitzdee said:

Hi all, i got a question but i sadly dont own the CoS tome. 

What cities/subfactions are known for fighting orruks or gitz? I know about Excelsis but that is where my knowledge ends. Also what city is from Hysh?

There's a lore plot from Whitedwarfs based in Rondhol where Orruks annihilate a city. They were commanded by Ka-rokk. Cannot give more details as I know the names in Spanish and Lexicanum is missing those bits, but Ven Desnt appear in that city's underground caves as well.

Edited by Ejecutor
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

IMG_8765.jpeg

I will deffo buy it and sell half of it. It is a nice way to get cheaper stuff as well.