AoS Cities of Sigmar Battletome 2023 Discussion

2 hours ago, Morathi is my Goddess said:

Which warhammer god did I offend to make them change the black dragons jaws to d3 damage 😢. Is there a worse monster profile in the game?

And the shield ability is hilariously bad. At least his lance greatly improved so I'll still run him; it's such a classic model. Likely will sit him in relative safety and give rerolling counter charges to drakespawn.

Even with all that, I am still rating the Dreadlord fairly highly in this book.

• Best user of the wound reflection command trait.
  • Flying, so can counter charge over screens.
  • Fast enough to support all the good Dark elf cavalry units with strikes first/retreat out of combat.I

Even if he's not great by the standards of other monster heroes, I think he has uses in this army.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Morathi is my Goddess said:

Don't worry I'm definitely aware I'm in minority on this one 😄. But I'm a sucker for most dragon models..

you arent a minority, almost every fantasy genere fan love dragons.

i really love this black dragon model,in real life looks better than in pics but is a pain to store being so tall

3 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Even with all that, I am still rating the Dreadlord fairly highly in this book.

• Best user of the wound reflection command trait.
  • Flying, so can counter charge over screens.
  • Fast enough to support all the good Dark elf cavalry units with strikes first/retreat out of combat.I

Even if he's not great by the standards of other monster heroes, I think he has uses in this army.

And importantly: Has an inbuilt 18" aura giving charge reroll to all Ordo Serpentis units. Be it knights, Hydras or himself. Not having to spend a CP on that makes it very very nice.

The reduction of the dmg to D3 is silly though.

And yes its an ugly model in my oppinion too. But there are people who like these classic looking old miniatures so I am not gonna take it away from them. When I was still trying to build up my DoK army, I wanted a Dreadlord ally, and instead opted for that Forge World one, since I got it fairly cheap (considering regular FW prices) second hand. Warpfire Dragon or something like that. My DoK never got finished since then they re introduced BoC and CoS with proper AoS battletomes and thats where my desert themed snek girls (and the dragon) project ended.

27 minutes ago, Myrdin said:

And importantly: Has an inbuilt 18" aura giving charge reroll to all Ordo Serpentis units. Be it knights, Hydras or himself. Not having to spend a CP on that makes it very very nice.

The reduction of the dmg to D3 is silly though.

And yes its an ugly model in my oppinion too. But there are people who like these classic looking old miniatures so I am not gonna take it away from them. When I was still trying to build up my DoK army, I wanted a Dreadlord ally, and instead opted for that Forge World one, since I got it fairly cheap (considering regular FW prices) second hand. Warpfire Dragon or something like that. My DoK never got finished since then they re introduced BoC and CoS with proper AoS battletomes and thats where my desert themed snek girls (and the dragon) project ended.

I'm trying to decide what to use my unbuilt frostheart phoenix for. Dreadlord on dragon is one possibility.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Satyrical Sophist said:

I'm trying to decide what to use my unbuilt frostheart phoenix for. Dreadlord on dragon is one possibility.

I vote for interesting proxies quite often!  And the Phoenix Guard can be the Black Guard.

Working on my Dreadlord kitbash today.  It'll be a Kharybdiss base, and I'm thinking like tentacular fins rather than wings.  I only have 1 pair of real wings, and Cthulhu needs those.  Sure, they can summon a little aether-sea like the IDK.  Yeah, that's the ticket!

5 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I vote for interesting proxies quite often!  And the Phoenix Guard can be the Black Guard.

Working on my Dreadlord kitbash today.  It'll be a Kharybdiss base, and I'm thinking like tentacular fins rather than wings.  I only have 1 pair of real wings, and Cthulhu needs those.  Sure, they can summon a little aether-sea like the IDK.  Yeah, that's the ticket!

My 2k + of rotated Aelves is dang well gonna be in cities. I have 10 actual black guard, but 30 Phoenix Guard will be joining them.  Possibly if they get removed then I'll have old school dark elf Idoneth

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

I might add reigns later 🤔

6052C009-395A-4F1A-9963-FAA13091AE52.jpeg

9450AFC9-E8A1-4616-8C40-23ACD6722000.jpeg

What about wings ? Do you have some specific in mind for this ?

Coz... I am not gonna lie, this thing reminds me of Chocobo for some reason and thats hilarious, so maybe a nice pair of feathered wings as a friendly nod to dinosaur>birds evolution ? :D

Edited by Myrdin

14 minutes ago, Myrdin said:

Coz... I am not gonna lie, this thing reminds me of Chocobo for some reason and thats hilarious, so maybe a nice pair of feathered wings as a friendly nod to dinosaur>birds evolution ? :D

There won’t be wings, it’s a floaty dragon :D

15 minutes ago, Myrdin said:

There won’t be wings, it’s a floaty dragon :D

You guys being all hype and getting your units ready for some righteous crusading against enemies of Sigmar actually infected me as well. Got 30 Fussiliers primed and drying out.

IMG20230911151106.jpg.a669adccd818ed1de539ee39cf7e5521.jpgIMG20230911151057.jpg.ba6174fd57486172fad5be32fddbc766.jpg

Still unsure what base size they`ll be on release. One of my buddies think they`ll go up to 28mm. Hopefully we`ll find out soon for all the new units. Seeing as characters went up to 32, it very well might be the case, since those shields (og. Fussiliers) are rather bulky.

• Like 4

Seems like I finally found myself a "Hydra" proxi XD

Till now I`ve been using the old LotR Cave Dragon (really nice sculpt), for it, instead of the regular DE Hydra (though I do have one un assembled as well). I wanted something more akin to Yamata no Orochi the Eight Headed Snake. but didnt find a nice or "lean enough" model to fit the bill (and the base).

Then I saw this cute critter and was like "Eh, if I cant have eight headed snake, I`ll take the nine tailed fox instead!" :D

...I can already tell storing and transporting this thing should I get one, will be a chore in and of itself.

image.jpeg.e6499b187a6f735925382d4c4e473715.jpegimage.jpeg.fb665b95a236f973bccf2ccc0baceec5.jpeg

Edit: Sleeping on it, this might make for a unexpectedly good Tahlia Verda model. Just tinker up a seating and a rider. Hmm choices, choices :D

Edited by Myrdin
  • Like 3

On 9/11/2023 at 9:20 AM, Myrdin said:

You guys being all hype and getting your units ready for some righteous crusading against enemies of Sigmar actually infected me as well. Got 30 Fussiliers primed and drying out.

IMG20230911151106.jpg.a669adccd818ed1de539ee39cf7e5521.jpgIMG20230911151057.jpg.ba6174fd57486172fad5be32fddbc766.jpg

Still unsure what base size they`ll be on release. One of my buddies think they`ll go up to 28mm. Hopefully we`ll find out soon for all the new units. Seeing as characters went up to 32, it very well might be the case, since those shields (og. Fussiliers) are rather bulky.

I really like this.  They used big portable shields with their firearms to protect fro arrows so I could see this being an awesome looking unit if you manage to get them to base up right.  Have they changed the rules about basing and I didn’t know?

2 hours ago, Gorthor21 said:

I really like this.  They used big portable shields with their firearms to protect fro arrows so I could see this being an awesome looking unit if you manage to get them to base up right.  Have they changed the rules about basing and I didn’t know?

I think the fancy shield is called a Pavise, which I think is neat.

The rule for basing is (as far as I can remember) that it should be the same size as the bases that come in the box. This one is a bit of a cluster frag honestly since they've changed base size with the same models sometimes. Nurgle piper came on a 40 but nurgle base size list says 32. I think the Warden King used be on a 25 and is now on a 32 etc. 

You should try and do this if you can, since base size can make quite a difference (25s being able to fight in 2 ranks for 1" range, or 3 ranks for 2"), and has a big influence on how much space the unit as a whole takes up, a little under 60% more space for a unit on 32s than 25s.  It also makes a massive difference for coherency. 

Particularly if you are proxying, matching base size is a big one. 

Those Fusiliers look awesome Myrdin, hope you find out soon! From looking at Fusiliers I think they are on 32s, since they are visually distinct enough from the human characters that I don't think they'll feel the need to put them on 28s. I've not had a go working out from the photographs though. 

Its highly probable its gonna be more than 25mm. Though I hope not 32mm.

The footprint it takes is a lot with horde style units, which Fussiliers will no doubt be played as.

My reasoning for 28mm was that looking at the assembly sheet I think it was the resupply model, or maybe the one with Marshal that was on 28mm. Neither of which are a unit, rather just a "extra" to show the unit is using a special rule.

I guess we`ll see soon enough. Though its annoying that I cant base these guys already so I can start painting them. (I dont wanna glue them to something just to paint and then cut them off to base them later).

Anyone recall when was the release for this scheduled on ? End of September or smthn ?