When did the app start locking warscrolls from new books? edit: No, it's just the bug again

I just noticed today browsing the app that scrolls from 3.0 books are now locked if you don't have a code from buying a codex - it used to be you had free access to the warscrolls, it was just the other rules that were locked. Did they announce something about this that I missed? Or is there some error with my app - IIRC some people had a similar bug happen to them in the past? 

edit: See below, appears to be the bug surfacing again, which can be fixed by uninstalling and reinstalling the app. 

Edited by yukishiro1

Just recently it’s started doing this, so the latest update.

Personally I was a bit shocked and annoyed at first then realised I didn’t look at most of the warscrolls apart from the ones for models I play with. So if I unlock with the book I use and can still make lists, I’m okay with that. I started playing with 40K and Fantasy where you didn’t have this info, so it’s not the end of the world.

Also if I want to research new lists/armies, I’ll watch battle reports, listen to podcasts and read things. I’m not very good at theoryhammer so I’m okay with this in the app.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yukishiro1 said:

I just noticed today browsing the app that scrolls from 3.0 books are now locked if you don't have a code from buying a codex - it used to be you had free access to the warscrolls, it was just the other rules that were locked. Did they announce something about this that I missed? Or is there some error with my app - IIRC some people had a similar bug happen to them in the past? 

Have you updated the app recently? It was a bug (future thing they accidentally released early?) that is no longer the case in the latest version. I'm using android. 

1 hour ago, Chikout said:

Have you updated the app recently? It was a bug (future thing they accidentally released early?) that is no longer the case in the latest version. I'm using android. 

Considering the distinction is there, it is a feature (for them) they enabled early. No use building that filter unless you intend to use it.

59 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Considering the distinction is there, it is a feature (for them) they enabled early. No use building that filter unless you intend to use it.

There are a million ways to break code, the joke, "it is working and I have no idea why, it is not working and I have no idea why.", is a bit of a developer classic. 😂

Basically, it can be something so simple as an update messing with the code that fetches warscroll data or something completely different which screws with something else which leads to X and Y. Hard to say really since I have no idea how they structured the app and even if I could I'm more of a hobby developer.

Edited by pnkdth
  • Like 1

So I'm not really clear here - people seem to be saying different things.  Are there people for whom the 3.0 book warscrolls aren't currently locked? I'm on IOS, if it matters.

Just trying to figure out if it's the old bug or if there was actually a policy change.

6 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Just recently it’s started doing this, so the latest update.

Personally I was a bit shocked and annoyed at first then realised I didn’t look at most of the warscrolls apart from the ones for models I play with. So if I unlock with the book I use and can still make lists, I’m okay with that. I started playing with 40K and Fantasy where you didn’t have this info, so it’s not the end of the world.

Also if I want to research new lists/armies, I’ll watch battle reports, listen to podcasts and read things. I’m not very good at theoryhammer so I’m okay with this in the app.

Truthfully, it probably won’t be that much of a problem, as long as one stays with their own book, and isn’t interested in taking allies into their army.

A problem I’m currently facing with the marscrawla sloggoth.

a model, fits perfectly into amu gloomspite gitz army, yet to use it, I’m basically forced to either become a memeber of warhammer + (which truthfully won’t happen till they do something for the skaven (ike make a movie for them)) or I’d have to buy the book for 1 unit.

not really something I enjoy.

Yeah if they have really done this and it isn't just the bug resurfacing, it's a big bummer for a variety of reasons. Aside from allies, another big one is that it means you can't easily look up your opponent's warscrolls, which wastes time. 

Edited by yukishiro1
  • Like 2

Manually uninstalling and reinstalling fixed it for me. Looks like it was just the bug again. Though obviously the fact that they have this system means they built in the ability to do so, presumably because they are planning on doing it some day. I'm just glad it doesn't seem to be this day. 

• yukishiro1 changed the title to When did the app start locking warscrolls from new books? edit: No, it's just the bug again

Oh thanks for the reinstall tip!

it did seem to be pretty paper thin, not only did the warscroll locks not bring up the “use the battletome code” like the others but I’ve just been using the Stormforge warscrolls on the other side of the app, they were completely untouched. xD 

Hopefully just a bug but if it is a hint at least it’s only the new armies. Even by the end of the year that’s looking to be only 9 out of 24 forces leaving a lot of players in the clear for years while the new guys are gonna want to get those shiny new battletomes anyway.

Definitely prefer free warscrolls but this is the least intrusive way to go about it compared to a total lockdown. 

Edited by Baron Klatz

I don't think we should be glossing this over... AOS was introduced with the promise of warscrolls being free to access for anyone who wanted to look. It'd be ridiculously anti-consumer and bad faith of GW to suddenly scrap this idea when AOS 3.0 has introduced a lot of new people to the game.

Regardless if it's a bug or intended after the "beta" ends, this makes me really uneasy.

• Like 1