We stride upon the Feasting Plains UPDATE 11/24/16 The Road to Waaaghpaca!!!

Beardbattered

My gaming group and I have just started poking our heads into The Age of Sigmar, so I figured I'd boot up a blog to keep me motivated to slop paint onto my models.  This will serve as a place to compile images and write ups of my hobby, fluff and gaming progress.  And of course I'm welcoming any constructive criticism.  I'm always looking for ways to improve myself in the hobby!

To start things off, I've nearly finished Hungry Hoof, the Stonehorn mount that my Frostlord will be riding upon.  I used this model as an opportunity to really push myself with the metallic weathering.  The metal plates that have been pounded into the flesh of Hungry Hoof are easily the most heavily rusted things that I've painted to date.  I am not entirely happy with the way that the oxidized bronze has turned out.  It may need some additional highlighting to being the metals back to the fore. 

My favorite bits on this guy are probably the Battle Brew and Pig-ass water skin that are hanging above the Frostlord's saddle.  That water skin makes me chuckle every time I look at it!

All in all I am very pleased with the way that he's turning out so far.  Let me know what you guys think!

IMG_0821.JPG

IMG_0822.JPG

IMG_0823.JPG

IMG_0824.JPG

IMG_0825.JPG

IMG_0826.JPG

IMG_0827.JPG

IMG_0830.JPG

IMG_0831.JPG

Next up I'll be starting on the Frostlord!  As I paint these guys I'm trying to dream up names and fluff for each of them.  I'll try to get all of it in here as I go.

Awesome! Can you tell me the colors for the Brass/Oxide Totem especially the metal Colors? I am using alot of Brass/Oxide Stuff atm so iam curious if there are other combinations that work? I am using Warplock Bronze and a layer of Runelord Brass. Then the Oxide Stuff. Which Metal Colors do you use?

19 hours ago, Beardbattered said:
16 hours ago, Payce said:

That's really rather neat!

How'd you do the horns and teeth? Simply black basecoat with blue highlights?

You're exactly right!  I just started with a flat black and edge  highlighted with successively lighter blues.  I can post up the exact colors I used tonight after work, if you're interested.  Just let me know! 

12 hours ago, Relentless said:

That's better! Great work, looking sweet!

Thanks! 

6 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Looks amazing! Would love to know how you painted it!

Thank you!  I followed the GW video partially and put my own twist on it.  I could do a step by step log on the next one of any of you are interested. 

4 hours ago, the_prophecy said:

Awesome! Can you tell me the colors for the Brass/Oxide Totem especially the metal Colors? I am using alot of Brass/Oxide Stuff atm so iam curious if there are other combinations that work? I am using Warplock Bronze and a layer of Runelord Brass. Then the Oxide Stuff. Which Metal Colors do you use?

Hmmm,  I dunno...  It's super duper secret...  Just kidding!  I'll post up exactly what I use when I get home tonight!  

2 hours ago, swiftmus said:

That looks really (get ready to groan...) cool! How did you do the bluish-white skin/fur?

The waterskin is pretty funny.

Thanks!  I aped Duncan from the GW video.  It's a light wash of Thunderhawk Blue before you start your fur highlights. You can do multiple coats of your looking for a more vivid effect.

Thanks for the kind words everyone!  I'll be posting more progress soon! 

15 minutes ago, Beardbattered said:

You're exactly right!  I just started with a flat black and edge  highlighted with successively lighter blues.  I can post up the exact colors I used tonight after work, if you're interested.  Just let me know! 

If you would, it'd be much appreciated. You seem to have some grey "depth" in the ridged recesses, to go with the blue? I just thought the horns looked really smooth.

The slight over on the oxidation is my constructive criticism.  Keep in mind small metal bits like that subjected to that kind of rusting would literally crumble in your hands, and so would not survive holding the straps etc (not that we are aiming for realism, but I think it helps sometimes)

I think pulling back on the rust a bit will eliminate my only other issue which is how the rust and the giant jaw bone aren't differentiated enough for my personal taste.

All of that to say:  FANTASTIC

8 hours ago, Nixon said:

That is one great looking model. You are right about the oxidation, its a bit much. Turn down the effect a notch and you got it.

5 hours ago, Zephyr said:

The slight over on the oxidation is my constructive criticism.  Keep in mind small metal bits like that subjected to that kind of rusting would literally crumble in your hands, and so would not survive holding the straps etc (not that we are aiming for realism, but I think it helps sometimes)

I think pulling back on the rust a bit will eliminate my only other issue which is how the rust and the giant jaw bone aren't differentiated enough for my personal taste.

All of that to say:  FANTASTIC

Thanks a lot guys!  I completely agree with you guys about the weathering of the metals, so I've taken steps to dial it back a bit.  I did some sponge chipping and washing to regain some of that luster and tone of the metals.  It might need a little adjusting still, but I think it's looking much better.  Let me know what you think!

IMG-0835.JPG

IMG_0836.JPG

IMG_0837.JPG

IMG_0841.JPG

14 hours ago, the_prophecy said:

Alright... time to let go of my deep dark secret.  Almost all of my metals are done with metallic Sharpies these days!  They cover well, go on smooth and are much quicker to apply than paint.  With that said, I do put on a very thin coat of an appropriate metallic paint to improve the shine of the final coat.  Then you can wash and weather to your heart's content.  For the oxidization effect I'm just using the GW oxide paint.  I'm still refining what look I like best for this effect.

IMG_0842.JPG

9 hours ago, Payce said:

If you would, it'd be much appreciated. You seem to have some grey "depth" in the ridged recesses, to go with the blue? I just thought the horns looked really smooth.

These are the specific paints used.  Hope it helps!

IMG_0844.JPG

And here is the next project!  Frostlord Gundalm The Boulder!  So far just the base coats on the skin, bone and fur.

IMG_0840.JPG

IMG_0839.JPG

Thanks guys!  I'm glad you guys are liking my work so far.

7 hours ago, Nixon said:

I like it, it better. But maybe you should aim for a more green oxidation? Since the blue tone you are using now is a bit close to the blue highlights on the horns?

That is something worth considering.  Maybe mixing a little bit of a green wash in with the oxide to change the hue?  I'll have to do some experimenting!

Here's tonight's work!  I got most of the base coats and washes down and he's almost ready for some highlights.

This is my first time painting such large areas of skin, so I'm going through some growing pains.  What you guys think? 

Fotor_147399042323883.jpg

So...  There's been a serious boo boo.  I had to strip and start over on my Frostlord due to an accident.

This time around I decided to try something I've never done before.  Warpaint.  I'm trying to get a worn effect to the paint.  Like spots have rubbed off.  Still needs plenty of cleaning up.

Fotor_147459563444371.jpg

Fotor_147459568946257.jpg

Fotor_147459574655221.jpg

Here comes The Boulder!  Both keg and pig skin are bulging with his favorite Battle Brew.  Gundalm and Hungry Hoof can now lead his nomadic stampede across The Feasting Plains.

I kept it relatively simple with the scheme but I'm liking how he's turned out.  As I said previously, this is my first time doing warpaint on a miniature.  Let me know what you guys think!  Anyone have any tips or tricks for doing body paint or warpaint? 

IMG_1121.JPG

IMG_1117.JPG

IMG_1118.JPG

IMG_1122.JPG

IMG_1119.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

So I've been chipping away at my painting queue when I've got time.  While I'm doing this I've been thinking about what I'm going to do for my list.  The games that I have gotten in have been with exclusively BCR and I'm finding that I just don't have nearly enough bodies on the board to compete in the scenario.  My only real option has been to try to table my opponent while snagging a point here and there when I can.

I've always been awful at list writing and I'm not the most tactical player.  This is something that I'm looking to improve upon.  So I've written up two lists.  Both of them might be terrible, but it would be awesome to get some feedback from you more experienced players.  Which of the two do you like better?  What would you change about it?  Should we start over from scratch?

List #1

Leaders

Frostlord on Stonehorn (460)
- General
- Trait: Bellowing Tyrant
- Artefact: Battle Brew
Huskard on Thundertusk (340)
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)

Units
Savage Orruks x 10 (100)
Savage Orruks x 10 (100)
Savage Orruks x 10 (100)
Orruk Brutes x 5 (180)
Orruk Brutes x 5 (180)
Orruk Brutes x 5 (180)

Behemoths

War Machines

Batallions
Ironfist (60)

Total: 1960/2000

List #2

Leaders

- General
- Trait: Bellowing Tyrant

Units

Mournfang Pack x 2 (200)
Mournfang Pack x 2 (200)
Orruk Gore Gruntas x 3 (180)
Orruk Gore Gruntas x 3 (180)
Savage Orruks x 10 (100)
Savage Orruks x 10 (100)
Savage Orruks x 10 (100)

Behemoths

Thundertusk Beastriders (320)

War Machines

Batallions

Braggoth's Beast Hammer (160)

Total: 2000/2000

I know nothing about BCR, but I do know that at 2000 points you're gonna want at least two heroes. One can cut it in smaller games but 2000 points elicits the need for more just for objective scoring alone, never mind the buffs they can provide.

For instance I'm working on a Gutbusters list. At 1000 points it has a Tyrant. Expanding to 2000 I added in two Gobbo shamans and a Weirdnob Shaman just so they can sit behind the lines and score points.

That aside, Gundalm and Hungry Hoof look excellent! I'm seeing more and more instances of excellent painters like yourself making it look easy, and I'm starting to think I'm over-painting my characters. In general, how many layers or techniques do you use on Gundalm's skin or the Stonehorn tusks, for instance? I seem to end up with about 6 layers of paint on certain parts of certain models and I just feel there has to be a simpler answer! 

I think you're absolutely right Undead4life.  The Braggoth formation just takes to much an investment and doesn't leave you with enough points to get what you need for heroes.

I'm thinking maybe keeping it simple might be the way to go.  Fill out the battleline troops and use my mounted BCR that I already have.

Leaders
- General
- Trait: Ravager
Frostlord on Thundertusk (420)
- Artefact: Talisman of Protection
Savage Big Boss (100)

Units
Mournfang Pack x 4 (400)
Mournfang Pack x 2 (200)
Savage Orruks x 10 (100)
Savage Orruks x 10 (100)
Savage Orruks x 10 (100)

Behemoths

War Machines

Batallions
Kunnin' Rukk (60)

Total: 1940/2000

What you guys think?  Better?  Worse? 

Also I'll elaborate on the painting side of things tonight once I'm back from work. 

Archived