The Painting Contract - February 2022

TheOtherJosh

I finished building the Rockgut Troggoths. Had a blast building those as there where to many options to choose from. I am actually a bit sad i couldnt use all the pieces as most of them looked awesome. I'll post some pics soon.

Also build Morgoks Krushas afterwards. Now i have to find some time to actually paint up some things again. 

I've made some fairly solid progress on my Marauder Horsemen goal, the horses are all painted up and I've done the basic green stuff work I need to do to get the new heads to fit. Painting of the riders has been hampered by a couple of things however. For one thing the weather has been awful so I haven't been able to prime anything and my riders remain as grey plastic. I also picked up another unit to paint 🙈 been looking at the direwolves models for a while and think they are super cool and would make great mutated hounds of chaos so took the plunge. They are all built and based and awaiting priming too, think they should be fairly simple and quick to paint up so hopefully they aren't too distracting. 

Since I don't have anything primed to paint, I spent some hobby time converting some of my spare Chaos Warriors into Chosen. Still need to go through and clean them all up but think they came out super cool, really happy with them.

Screenshot-2022-02-12-at-17-48-00.png

• Like 5

On 1/28/2022 at 7:35 AM, Nirvana said:

I've got the following on my plate this month: 3 Drones, 2 Pusgoyles, 3 Nurglings, and a Lord of Blights.  If I can find one, a Gnarlmaw.  I'm also going to order the Glottkin and another  box of Blight kings.  My first army will be Glottkin, Lord of Blights, Festus, 3 Blight King units, and 1 pusgoyle unit to start.  Eventually, I'll move to a GUO with a bunch of Beasts and Plague Toads as Beasts.  First though, I want my mortals to get the hang of the army.

Ive never built or painted this time of year because it's "Busy Season" and Accountants gotta account!  My new company's fiscal year is the same as GW's (June to May) and is a 52/53 week year end.  I'm going to try to hit my goal but it is quarter end this month.  This work from home, not working an average of 60 hours per week, and non public accounting job is nice after 15 years of balls to the wall deadline, deadline, deadline, work, work, work!  on top of that Crohn's has killed me over the last 5 years.  All I could do was work, sleep, and meds.  Now after 5 years, I have the energy to paint models again!!!

As an update, I've painted a Lord of Blights, Festus, and another 5 Blight Kings (total of 15 now).  I've nearly finished the drones.  The pusgoyles are partially compete- the riders are complete, the fly isn't.  Will post again at the end of the month.

I have progressed far enough with my Helstorm project to post a first attempt at the composition I am going for:

20220219_203533.jpg.2b794cdce95b545f829b5811786a848e.jpg

The plan is to build a big scene of the for rocket batteries in various states of the firing process. I hope to have the third one from the left actually be firing off rockets in the end. Does anybody know a good source of smoke or flame bits?

• Like 2

For the first time ever, I'm actually exceeding my own schedule!

I finished the Chariot and 5 Vindictors and have carried on painting Hallowed Knights, making a start on a Lord Imperatant and 3 praetors.

These are so simple to paint. I've decided they are from Shyish, inspired by "Black Pyramid".

Did a little bit on Yoda too, just for funzies.

20220222_115340.jpg

20220222_115117.jpg

20220222_115217.jpg

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

Not that much further along, got distracted kitbashing other things.

Current state of my grognards/krieg. Armoured car is that kitbashed 1:72 Panzer iv, or rather chopped up one, it's just rearranged. The barrel was donated to the sniper (with a few rounds of Ork ammo indicating the large caliber). The bright colour is pthalo blue greenshade from Kimera, I don't like my guys totally blending in with the table.

IMG_20220227_102138634.jpg

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 1

Progress is kinda slow on my Rocket Battery detachment because I am still trying to figure out how to make a big display base with recessess for my miniatures. The scenes are coming together nicely, though.

I want to model four Rocket Batteries in different states of their firing sequence. Here they are so far!

Reloading:

20220228_100655.jpg.5ba0700edd8d29451ffb429dfbbc9add.jpg

By the book, each Rocket Battery needs three guys to crew it. For my purposes, that looks too crowded, however, so I am replacing one crew member per battery with a scenery piece, like the rocket storage in for this one. The guy in the back is a stock build, but for the guy reloading the rocket battery in the front I modified the arms that usually hold a tamping stick for the Helblaster Volleygun to hold a rocket and swapped his head for one from the Imperial Nobility Bloodbowl team.

Ready to fire:

20220228_100800.jpg.e9aa73364ca38825c3b9260e4430ee3f.jpg

For this one I kitbashed the engineer body that comes with the kit to with parts from the Steam Tank Commander and Hurricanum crew. The guy with the torch is also built with Hurricanum parts. He still needs a hand (or at least a hook). The idea is that in this scene torch guy is waiting for the signal of the engineer to light the fuse of the rocket battery.

Firing:

20220228_100850.jpg.19cab7ba3c31f87e25b14d5ec0004ede.jpg

The engineer in thr back is checking the distance to the target. His arms are from the Hurricanum kit, as well. The guy withe the rifle in the front is my Cogsmith. He is kitbashed from a Steam Tank Commander body, Bloodbowl head and Hurricanum crew arms. His rifle is also made out of spare tank and Hurricanum parts. Ideally I still want to modify the Rocket Battery to be in the process of launching rockets, but I will have to learn to sculpt smoke first.

After firing:

20220228_100533.jpg.eab1e9561ee3babfdda98edf7c504282.jpg

These guys are in the unfortunate position of having to deal with a misfired rocket. Removing all the rockets from this model was probably the most work I have ever put into making something look less cool.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 3