The Road to Clash - Wall of Ogors

Gaz Taylor

I thought it would be interesting to have a bit of a blog thread showing how I'm putting my army together for Clash of Swords which will be run at Firestorm Games at the end of October. Hopefully it will show some of my thinking behind choosing what I'm taking and how I go about making an army.

Wots Clash?

Clash of Swords is an event run by the very lovely Mo at Firestorm Games in Cardiff (that's in Wales for you international types) and it's a very, very good event. It's well run and a good group of players turn out for the event, which usually means that Mo doesn't have many admin issues in running it so can go around abusing/banter people. It creates a fantastic atmosphere and a great weekend away playing toy soldiers. I was luckily enough to go to the first Clash of Swords but due to scheduling clashes (aka my wife or work), I not been able to make one since. So I was a bit gutted when Mo announced this would be his last one (not 100% sure if this is the case now) and I had intended to go and pick up a ticket but got distracted by the birth of my son. Somehow though, life sort of returned to normal and I was able to sneak onto the guest list for the event, but what to take.

Da Plan

My approach to collecting, assembling and painting an army is very similar to a lot of peoples - I tend to act all magpie like, getting excited over the next shiney thing and then somehow have an army at the end of it which bears no resemblance to what cool idea I had at the start. This time is a bit different.

I had originally intended to collect an Ogre Kingdoms army during the last year or so of 8th edition's life before the End Times hit, so had amassed the start of an Ogre army. As usual, I got distracted and before I knew it, Age of Sigmar happened! Again, didn't think too much about things thanks to work and the forthcoming birth of my clone (seriously, my son is like a clone of me!) and I carried on getting the odd game here and there while I waited for a chance to have a new army. So with my name on the guest list for Clash, I had a very firm idea what I wanted to take - Ogors!

This list has only changed a little bit over the last three/four months as I had a very clear idea what I wanted to take. I wanted a small model count army and something fairly simple to use. So with a few suggestions from people I came up with the following, which after the Generals Handbook is right up my street.

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn
- General
- Trait: Ravager
- Artefact: Talisman of Protection
Huskard on Stonehorn
Huskard on Stonehorn

Units
Ogors x 6
Ogors x 6
Ogors x 6

Total: 1940/2000

So the army is very simple. Lots of Ogors to run around hitting things, capturing objectives and being cool with three Stonehorns running around hitting things, capturing objectives (not at Clash though) and being cool. What makes the army awesome is I don't need to remember a lot of things, it uses the fantastic Destruction traits and abilities and it runs around hitting things.

So with this in mind, I went to start on the army.....

... but I didn't. For the last few years, I have been snowed under by work and having a newborn baby meant any spare time I had didn't go towards anything hobby related (usually sleep). So last weekend, where I had a bit of spare time from work and my wife very kindly offering me to have a Saturday to myself. So I had a great time watching the coverage of the GW Warlords event, while assembling lots and lots of Ogors. The fruits of my labour can be seen below. I even had time to convert up a Butcher out of some spare parts I had!

Wot now?

So the plan for this weekend is to assemble the Stonehorns and if I get time get everything undercoated. Then I intend to spend a few hours each week getting the army painted but I have accepted I may have to bring out the tin of Army Painter. Army Painter is a fantastic product but I would like to try and avoid using it this time.

Thanks for Reading, more soon....

Gutbuster Ogor Battleline shot.jpg

Gutbuster Ogor Closeup Standard Bearer.jpg

Gutbuster Ogors.jpg

Gutbuster Butcher.jpg

9 hours ago, Hannibal said:

Good luck! Sounds like a nice army. I'm building an army with a similar idea in mind, though mine is based on Plaguebearers and Minotaurs. 

Thanks! I think a Plaguebearer and Minotaur list could be quite nice being backed up by the big beasties. Would be a cool conversion project as well and you could have a palid flesh scheme... no... must.. resist... Ogres it is!! ;)

So thanks to another thread here, I'm back to debating Stonehorns vs Thundertusks again! So this is three rampaging Stonehorns vs one being backed up by two Thundertusks which can dish out mortal wounds and heal things.

New list is like this now...

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn
Huskard on Thundertusk
Huskard on Thundertusk
Butcher

Units
Ogors x 6
Ogors x 6
Ogors x 6

Total: 2000

Thing I like is that I get to use my converted Butcher in this list and it gives me a lot more ranged options. Downside is only one Stonehorn rather than three.

Does anybody have any thoughts?

After some thought and a quick Twitter poll, I've decided to stick with the original list. Main reason behind this is very simply that the Thundertusks are clearly a support unit and I was intending on using them in a smashy-smashy roll. That and 12" movement vs 8" and halving wounds, makes the Stonehorns clear winner in my eyes and style of play.

I've got Saturday lined up to assemble three of these bad boys so expect some pictures soon. I'm hoping I have time to undercoat everything as well!

• 2 weeks later...

Not forgotten about this but real life got involved which ended up with me half assembling one Stonehorn! My target is to get these completed this week to rush paint them next week. I really didn't want to use the army painter dip, but it is really useful in this situations. You can argue I should have planned better but I really don't get loads of free time for stuff like this! :(  

Like the army. Unless you going for a bid to get advantage you could add a unit of frost sabres. They are 60 points to bring you to an even 2k. They are not very good but they move quick and can capture objectives. With all the Ogres on the table they will probably get ignored as well. 

9 minutes ago, MightyQwan said:

Like the army. Unless you going for a bid to get advantage you could add a unit of frost sabres. They are 60 points to bring you to an even 2k. They are not very good but they move quick and can capture objectives. With all the Ogres on the table they will probably get ignored as well. 

I'm in two minds about this as in the Clash pack, you can only claim objectives if the unit is not a single model and has 5 or more starting wounds worth in it. So in Standard games, they would be good but at Clash they wouldn't do a lot. I think I have some to hand, so if I get chance I'll see what I end up doing ;) 

Look forward to seeing this thread develop, I'm in a similar boat with Clash, many big monsters to assemble and not much time :) Am going to be going more Sabre heavy (maybe even some yhettees if I can motivate myself to get some...)

What about taking one huskard thundertusk instead of the stonehorn, good for protecting your own objectives suppoort and healing D3 wounds back or rerolling 1 to wound. will help you control deployment. May also open up alternative artefacts like the battlebrew.

So managed to get a bit of time today to finish assembling the army. Slight change to the list as I've decided to take two Frostlords backed up by a Thundertusk for some healing and shooting. The army is small but looks quite good together. Hoping to get some time in the week to sand the bases and if I'm lucky I'll get chance to undercoat and base colour. Due to time, I'm going to be using Army Painter on this but I'm hoping to do some highlights afterwards if I get chance.

BeastClawHeros.jpeg

On 26/09/2016 at 3:45 PM, Donal said:

Look forward to seeing this thread develop, I'm in a similar boat with Clash, many big monsters to assemble and not much time :) Am going to be going more Sabre heavy (maybe even some yhettees if I can motivate myself to get some...)

What about taking one huskard thundertusk instead of the stonehorn, good for protecting your own objectives suppoort and healing D3 wounds back or rerolling 1 to wound. will help you control deployment. May also open up alternative artefacts like the battlebrew.

Sorry I did see this before I posted but didn't get chance to reply (having small baby plus was off to Wembley to watch the Jags vs Colts game). Yes taken on board and having a thundertusk as less to paint and gives what I want without loosing too much due to having two frostlords! Now if I could only get another Battle Brew in the list! :D 

2 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Sorry I did see this before I posted but didn't get chance to reply (having small baby plus was off to Wembley to watch the Jags vs Colts game). Yes taken on board and having a thundertusk as less to paint and gives what I want without loosing too much due to having two frostlords! Now if I could only get another Battle Brew in the list! :D 

Hope you enjoyed the game (and the baby isn't keeping you up). List submission this week and alot of my stuff is still on sprues or uncoated... Oh dear.

Finally decided on my list though, so yay at that!

• 4 weeks later...

Soooooo.... it's been a while. But somehow I managed to get the army finished, list submitted and the tournament is this weekend. I'm planning on getting some army pictures up, but here's some Prisma photos that makes my stuff look awesome. 

GingerninjaStonehorn.jpg  PinkywinkyOgor.jpg

The draw has gone up and I'm facing Jon Warmington and his Flesh Eaters in game one. I'll post the lists below and let you decide who is going to win, but as he is a lot more experienced with his army, I have played no games with this one and only a couple of games this year, I think we all know which way this will go!!

Jon's List

Leaders

1 x Necromancer (120)

1x Abhorrant Ghoul King (100)

1x Crypt Haunter Courtier (120)

2x Varghulf Courtier (320)

Units

10x Dire Wolves (120)

2x Bat Swarms (80)

3x Fell Bats (80)

60x Crypt Ghouls (600)

18x Crypt Horrors (840)

Batallions

Attendants at Court (100)

My List

Leaders

Frostlord on Stonehorn (460) - General

Frostlord on Stonehorn (460)

Huskard on Thundertusk (340) - with Blood Vulture

Units

Ogors x 6 (240) - with Crusher, Bellower & Icon Bearer with Tribal Banner

For anybody who doesn't know about the event, Clash of Swords lets you have a 2000 point list and a 500 point 'sideboard'. You always have to deploy up to 2000 points but you can swap and change units out as you need to. I've not bothered with any of that, partially because I wanted less to paint but also I know I will probably never use any of the extra stuff and stick with my list. Jon's list has lots of flexibility for capturing things (units with 5 or more starting wounds) and he can decide how to tweak his list for each game. My plan for this will be the same for all of my games over the weekend - push it forwards and roll brilliantly! :D 

On ‎26‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 0:43 PM, Gaz Taylor said:

I'm facing Jon Warmington and his Flesh Eaters in game one. I'll post the lists below and let you decide who is going to win

@jonwarmington is going to win :P 

That's going to be a tough match up for you. Jon's list is super solid under Clash (FEC are awesome under GH and actual improve under Clash with no amendments needed!) and he is a good player.

Looking forward to seeing your army in the flesh...I wonder how I'd get on against it?

:ph34r: - ninja observation of all your tactics @Gaz Taylor

Mine list is likly to be this :

Leaders
Varghulf Courtier (160)
Varghulf Courtier (160)
Crypt Haunter Courtier (120)
Necromancer (120)

Units
Crypt Horrors x 9 (420)

Crypt Horrors x 9 (420)
Crypt Ghouls x 30 (300)
Fell Bats x 3 (80)
Dire Wolves x 5 (60)
Dire Wolves x 5 (60)

Batallions
Attendants at Court (100)

Total: 2000/2000

as its what I find fun to play more - but you are right have a sideboard to swap lots of options in, if needed

So after the build up of @jonwarmington having the better army and being a better player, I beat him with a 16-4 (I think!) victory! I was very surprised how well the Frostlords did against the Crypt Horrors (and I think Jon was as well!). It was a fun game

On 29/10/2016 at 8:56 AM, bolzo said:

Gaz Taylor super cool army!!

I have the same model as you, maybe i will try you list for fun :) ! I like the low body count army but i can t play it very well!!

I want to see pitcures of painted models!! 

Thanks. I'll get pictures up later this week when I get time. Especially as I have been composing this post for the last three hours and getting distracted with things!

Whilst I have a bit of time, here's a quick overview of my games at Clash and what I thought of the event. I'm in now way going to go into as much detail as @Chris Tomlin because my gaps in my memory are being replaced with Nursery songs and houses I want to move to.

My list for all my games was...

Leaders

Frostlord on Stonehorn (460) - General with Battlebrew and Ravager Command Trait

Frostlord on Stonehorn (460)

Huskard on Thundertusk (340) - with Blood Vulture

Units

FRIDAY

I had Friday off with the intention of spending a bit of time with my family in the morning and then setting off midday to hopefully get a game in and then enjoy the nightlife of Cardiff city centre. The reality was lots of rushing around doing Dad and Husband stuff and I didn't set off until 15.30! I managed to get to Firestorm games for around 18.00, which was a relief after taking a wrong turn and ending up on an industrial estate which looked very "unsafe" (there are other terms I would use, but I want to stay sort of family friendly!). 

The venue is fantastic and is well worth going to if you have chance to. Loads of tables with great terrain, and it ticks all boxes (clean, has food and beer, and lots and lots of toys!). I quickly popped out to check into my hotel (do not book the Travelodge in Cardiff Central if you want to sleep) and then went back to the venue to play a game against Helen and her High Elves. We've know each other for years but not played a game as Helen has just gotten into AOS and I've not had much time to play many games this year, so this was very much to a refresher for both of us!

Game 0 - Helen with Order

Helen took an Order Allegiance force composed of High Elves - Teclis, Alarielle, 2 Flamespire Phoenix, 30 Shadow Warriors, and 15 Silver Helms. I think we played the Clash scenario with an objective in each quarter.

This was a fairly quick game, partially down to the brutal nature of my army and also down to Helen's inexperience. Turn one was me killing Teclis with the Thundertusk's snowball attack and got my General into the Silver Helms, which pushed Helen onto the backfoot. She then tried to retaliate, but the monsters just smashed everything up and at end of turn three, Helen conceded so we could go drinking.

Friday ended with me meeting up with some of the people at the event and enjoying a few drinks in Cardiff. 

SATURDAY

Game 1 - Jon with Death

As you have seen above, I played Jon with a Death Allegiance mostly composed of Flesh Eater Courts - 2 Varghulf Courtiers,
Crypt Haunter Courtier, Ghoul King (Jon couldn't decide between the King or Necromancer so rolled off and the King won), 2 x 9 Crypt Horrors, 30 Crypt Ghouls, 3 Fell Bats, 2 x Dire Wolves and Attendants at Court Battalion. We played the scenario with three objectives running across the middle of the board where the left or right one disappears around turn four. 

I'll be honest, I was worried about this game. Jon is a good player and this is quite a nasty list. Then my Frostlords killed stuff and basically killed most of Jon's army (it seriously was insane how quickly my general went through the Crypt Horrors). Jon was able to get some of the secondarys but the game ended with a 16-4 win to me. We both agreed, what really won the game for me was failing a charge with the other Frostlord against his other unit of Crypt horrors, as this allowed Jon to move them away and freed up the Frostlord to go off on a rampage.

Game 2 - Ben with Death

Another Death army but not just any Death army or player. I got to play the other Ben (he used to be on Bad Dice) with his rather scary army. It was Abhorrant Ghoul King on Terrorgheist (General, Ruler of the Night, Cloak of Mists and Shadows), Abhorrant Ghoul King on Terrorgheist, Abhorrant Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon (Cloak of Mists and Shadows), Abhorrant Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon, Terrorgheist, and Royal Menagerie Battalion.

Ben is a fantastic guy to chat to and play against and he is a fantastic painter. But this army is just plain horrible! :D

Due to the Battalion and the Cloaks, this army gets first turn most of the time and is in your face turn one. Then it rips your face off and laps up your blood and tears. This is pretty much what happened and by Turn two I had no army left. I think we were both surprised as we were expecting the Frostlords to put up a fight but I kept on rolling ones and twos. Because Ben has an army of monsters, he couldn't get any of the primary objectives so I was able to get some points and the result was 12-8 to Ben (I think!).

This was a fun game and I would be interested in comparing how other player may have handled this. I was chatting with Joe later on and he suggested castling up in a corner, using the Ogors as buffers so the Thundertusk and Frostlords kills something. I was sceptical of this as I just saw it as delaying things by a turn.

Game three - Declan and Destruction

I was looking forwards to this game for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it wasn't a Death army and secondly, it gave me chance to see up and close how the Moonclan work as I'm interested in an army of them. Declan's army was - 2 Moonclan Grot Warbosses, 3 Moonclan Grot Shamans, 120 Moonclan Grots, 8 Grot Fanatics, 20 Cave Squigs, 8 Grot Squig Herders, 2 Grot Spear Chukkas, Orruk Boar Chariot, and Great Moonclan Battallion.

Thats a lot of stuff! Scenario here was an objective six objectives on the board, with one in each foot square area (I think!). I knew Declan's army was quite squishy but I was scared of the big Moonclan units and all the crazy beefed up stuff the army can do. This game went in a simlar vein as game one against Jon, where the Frostlords just killed stuff. It didn't help that Declan had horrible luck and couldn't make average rolls for his attacks. It was looking like it would be a 16-4 to me but I got greedy and wanted to kill a Moonclan unit just to make sure which resulted in my General tripping over a log and impaling himself on his Frostspear (I rolled a one in a Deadly wood). This swung the game around and allowed Declan to grab another couple of objectives to get a 18-2 win!

That was the end of the first day, and a few of us went out for food and then I was quite good and got lots of brownie points by having an early night and facetiming my wife and son!

SUNDAY

Game Four - Ben Diesel and Death

I knew I was either going to have a good game or be grumpy in game four. Ben has a reputation for overdoing his drinking which can result in him missing games. I was hoping he would turn up as I knew this would be fun if he did. And he did! He had the following - Vampire Lord on zombie dragon, 30 zombies, 10 blood Knights, 12 spirt hosts and Mournghoul.

This game can be summed up by me being far too aggressive and getting sending the Frostlords off to kill stuff. I was able to kill the Mournghoul and nearly destroy a Blood Knight unit but this ended up with them being eventually killed and then Ben's army was able to kill everything to beat me 19-1. He was able to do his trademarked Diesel dice rolls but even without that magic power, he would have beat me due to me being aggressive. 

Game Five - Richard with Chaos

Last game of the event and I was in chill out mode. I was hoping for some fun down on the bottom tables and faced Richard with his Chaos. Richard was local to Firestorm and had the following - Archaon, Valkia, Chaos Sorcerer, Blood Secrator, Mounted lord of Slaanesh,  3 Varanguard, 3 Bloodcrushers, 10 Bloodletters, and 5 Blood Warriors. I knew if I could take Archaon out I would win this game but also would have fun trying to kill the big bad guy of AOS. The scenario was to place objectives and I was a bit too aggressive with my placement and battleplan (again). The plan was to kill Archaon with the Frostlords and Thundertusk and use the Ogres to take objectives (one unit to sit back while the others rush forwards). So I rushed forwards, caused lots of damage to Archaon, killed Valkia and nearly all the Varanguard but due to the combo magic Richards army can do, I nearly got tabled. This was a fun game and nice to experience how this army works. The result was 18-2 to Richard.

END

So we got all packed up and waited for the awards and clapped away, but during the names being called off, my name was mentioned! I was in complete shock to find out I had got 2nd place for Best Sportsman! I'm really pleased with this as I see this as a really difficult thing to get when you are play games against your mates and a load of really nice people! Especially when I rolled the dreaded Stonehorn list! :D 

I just want to thank everybody I played and everybody who voted for me. I had a great time, especially as I've not played Warhammer at an event for ages!

FUTURE

I'm not going to add any more to the army as I want to do something new, but one build I'm itching to try out is the following - 

Leaders

Frostlord on Stonehorn - General with Bellowing Tyrant

Frostlord on Stonehorn - with Battlebrew

Huskard on Thundertusk - with Blood Vulture

Units

Ogors x 9 - with Crusher, Bellower & Icon Bearer with Tribal Banner

Ogors x 6 - with Crusher, Bellower & Icon Bearer with Tribal Banner

Ogors x 3 - with Crusher, Bellower & Icon Bearer with Tribal Banner 

It's the same but means I have another unit for fighting with (the big unit of 9 Ogors), as I have found that they can fight and are quite tanky. Backed up with the General, they can either be buffed up or the General can buff himself and then go and double team with the other Frostlord. The unit of 9 Ogors can also protect the Thundertusk or go off on it's own and beat stuff up.

Good write up.

I'll be honest, I was worried about this game. Jon is a good player and this is quite a nasty list. Then my Frostlords killed stuff and basically killed most of Jon's army (it seriously was insane how quickly my general went through the Crypt Horrors). Jon was able to get some of the secondarys but the game ended with a 16-4 win to me. We both agreed, what really won the game for me was failing a charge with the other Frostlord against his other unit of Crypt horrors, as this allowed Jon to move them away and freed up the Frostlord to go off on a rampage.

I would have thought that this would be a good match up with the distinct lack of rend of the Crypt Horrors against the 2 Stonelords.

Another Death army but not just any Death army or player. I got to play the other Ben (he used to be on Bad Dice) with his rather scary army. It was Abhorrant Ghoul King on Terrorgheist (General, Ruler of the Night, Cloak of Mists and Shadows), Abhorrant Ghoul King on Terrorgheist, Abhorrant Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon (Cloak of Mists and Shadows), Abhorrant Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon, Terrorgheist, and Royal Menagerie Battalion.

Ben is a fantastic guy to chat to and play against and he is a fantastic painter. But this army is just plain horrible! :D

Due to the Battalion and the Cloaks, this army gets first turn most of the time and is in your face turn one. Then it rips your face off and laps up your blood and tears. This is pretty much what happened and by Turn two I had no army left. I think we were both surprised as we were expecting the Frostlords to put up a fight but I kept on rolling ones and twos. Because Ben has an army of monsters, he couldn't get any of the primary objectives so I was able to get some points and the result was 12-8 to Ben (I think!).

This was a fun game and I would be interested in comparing how other player may have handled this. I was chatting with Joe later on and he suggested castling up in a corner, using the Ogors as buffers so the Thundertusk and Frostlords kills something. I was sceptical of this as I just saw it as delaying things by a turn.

This is basically down to who gets the charge in. If you do, it will be 21 wounds from the Stonelord with Battlebrew by itself, so enough to kill outright one of his flappies even with a 5+ Ward save. If you double chug, you could probably cripple another one as well. The other one will cripple another. Even then it will be close and random things like the 6s to wound doing 6 mortal wounds on the Terrorgheists will become decisive.

You don't have any expendable chaff, but yes, castling was the main way you could win this. You have to get the charge and the first activation in with the Stonehorns to drop a flappy before he can retaliate.

Other BCR players in my club are going to Moonclan Grots (undercosted) as the Battleline chaff unit, the Thundertusk (as per your final list) and bringing in a 60 point shaman for mystic shield. It's truly horrible. Fundamentally the Stonelord should be more like 520 points because Battlebrew exists and BCR make a gain from choosing Destruction Allegiance and a loss from choosing BCR Allegiance.

Last game of the event and I was in chill out mode. I was hoping for some fun down on the bottom tables and faced Richard with his Chaos. Richard was local to Firestorm and had the following - Archaon, Valkia, Chaos Sorcerer, Blood Secrator, Mounted lord of Slaanesh,  3 Varanguard, 3 Bloodcrushers, 10 Bloodletters, and 5 Blood Warriors. I knew if I could take Archaon out I would win this game but also would have fun trying to kill the big bad guy of AOS. The scenario was to place objectives and I was a bit too aggressive with my placement and battleplan (again). The plan was to kill Archaon with the Frostlords and Thundertusk and use the Ogres to take objectives (one unit to sit back while the others rush forwards). So I rushed forwards, caused lots of damage to Archaon, killed Valkia and nearly all the Varanguard but due to the combo magic Richards army can do, I nearly got tabled. This was a fun game and nice to experience how this army works. The result was 18-2 to Richard.

Yeah - I can entirely see why you went for glory and killing Archaon - last game YOLOing is fun - I did it at Rain of Stars.

If you had thrown the Stonelords at his units, especially one on the Varanguard, you would have stomped all over him. His only chance would be to get lucky with the Slayer of Kings.

31 minutes ago, Nico said:

Good write up.

Thank you

I would have thought that this would be a good match up with the distinct lack of rend of the Crypt Horrors against the 2 Stonelords..

I find it easier to do stuff and learn from my mistakes as I'm not that good at Theoryhammer. So i my eyes before the game, Jon had these tough units with re-rolls and healing and I was thinking "Tarpit!". Now I know a Frostlord goes through them like chainsaw through a melon! :D

This is basically down to who gets the charge in. If you do, it will be 21 wounds from the Stonelord with Battlebrew by itself, so enough to kill outright one of his flappies even with a 5+ Ward save. If you double chug, you could probably cripple another one as well. The other one will cripple another. Even then it will be close and random things like the 6s to wound doing 6 mortal wounds on the Terrorgheists will become decisive.

You don't have any expendable chaff, but yes, castling was the main way you could win this. You have to get the charge and the first activation in with the Stonehorns to drop a flappy before he can retaliate.

Other BCR players in my club are going to Moonclan Grots (undercosted) as the Battleline chaff unit, the Thundertusk (as per your final list) and bringing in a 60 point shaman for mystic shield. It's truly horrible. Fundamentally the Stonelord should be more like 520 points because Battlebrew exists and BCR make a gain from choosing Destruction Allegiance and a loss from choosing BCR Allegiance.

Again it's how I learn. I would like to play this again a few times to see if I could do anything, but it would all be down to how I would castle up as Ben's army is very very fast and has huge reach!

Grots would be a good addition but I would do a new army rather than add as I want to try something different ;) 

Yeah - I can entirely see why you went for glory and killing Archaon - last game YOLOing is fun - I did it at Rain of Stars.

If you had thrown the Stonelords at his units, especially one on the Varanguard, you would have stomped all over him. His only chance would be to get lucky with the Slayer of Kings

Hindsight is a lovely thing, isn't it ;)

I think that is exactly what I would do, plus kill the sorceror to stop the re-rolls to hit! My objective placement was really wrong and I think I have a better idea how to play this game next time

I find it easier to do stuff and learn from my mistakes as I'm not that good at Theoryhammer. So i my eyes before the game, Jon had these tough units with re-rolls and healing and I was thinking "Tarpit!". Now I know a Frostlord goes through them like chainsaw through a melon! :D

Yeah - there are few things that he will not go straight through with Battlebrew - a Mourngul being mystic shielded by Nagash for the 2+ rend immune rerolling ones, or some Sylvaneth 1+ rerollable save trickery is probably about it.

I'm quite fortunate at South London Legion to have regular opponents who have got the latest (filthy) armies (now 2 BCR/Destruction, 1 Bonesplitterz and 2 Sylvaneth opponents), so I can test the theoryhammer. Theoryhammer can go wrong spectacularly - like my decision to take the first turn against a Stonelord, triple Thundertusk list, on the basis that I would easily kill one of the 3 Thundertusks before the cheese healing began and set some serious battleshock tests off amongst the Grots with a Screaming Skull Catapult:

Grots would be a good addition but I would do a new army rather than add as I want to try something different ;) 

Jump aboard the Fyreslayers bandwagon with me....

It does sound like you had great games though - lots of drama and you didn't just face off against a 100% gunline and not have a real game of it (I guess there was a shot cap).

• 3 months later...

So it's been a few months since I've touched this thread or my Ogor army due to being distracted with real life. But I've managed to find time into getting a game down my local club tomorrow night and thinking about running the following list, which is the slightly tweaked version I mentioned earlier. It is...

Leaders

Frostlord on Stonehorn - General with Bellowing Tyrant

Frostlord on Stonehorn - with Battlebrew

Huskard on Thundertusk - with Blood Vulture

Units

Ogors x 9 - with Crusher, Bellower & Icon Bearer with Tribal Banner

Ogors x 6 - with Crusher, Bellower & Icon Bearer with Tribal Banner

Ogors x 3 - with Crusher, Bellower & Icon Bearer with Tribal Banner

The plan is still the same using the general to buff up either himself or another unit and then everything sorts of castles up and pushes forwards to smush things up. This will be interesting as this game will be under the Generals handbook scenarios and I'm facing a Ironjaw/Bonesplittaz force. I'm expecting it to be very bloody. If I was to say who has the edge, I would say my opponent due to having played more games recently and having an army with things that can be ideal counters!

On another note, I'm working from home tomorrow so hoping to find time to finally get some pictures up of my army! :D 

Archived