AoS 3 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Neil Arthur Hotep

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday I have played two games against the new Seraphon. The first one was Realmstone Cache against the Starborne subfaction and the second one was Position over Power against the Coalesced faction. I won both but I think I have to thank to the resiliency of our units and the ward save for this. 

My list was the following: 

Battle Regiment

GUO with Witherstave, Nurgling Infestation and Fleshy Abbundance

Rotbringer Sorcerer with Tunnel Master and Plague Squall

20x Plagueberers (single unit, reinforced)

2x Blightkings

2x Pusygole (2 models per unit)

Emerald Lifeswarm

The grand strategy was Corrupt Arcane Nexus and I have scored it both times. 

In the first game I have faced the infamous Troglodon Bomb. This thing pumps out an average 20 mortal wounds per turn but I was lucky since my adversary placed his Troglodon too close to my lines and it was promptly destroyed on turn one. From then on I had to sit tight for three turn, take all the mortal wounds dished by Lord Kroak and then jump on the two objectives once the central exploded. Here my Pusygole were my MVP tanking his Temple Guard like bosses and then went to score me the lowermost objective while the top most was captured by my Blightkings who walked across the board every turn.

In the second game I have faced the Coalesced and his -1 Damage had only impact on my GUO sword and flail attacks. I gave my opponent the first turn, held the Raptors charge which bounced from my Blightkings and then I went straight up the middle, killing his Carnosaur, grinding down his Saurus Warriors and knocking his scenery out of the game with my GUO. The big fatty was the MVP of this game since he accounted himself very well and was able to hold his ground against a tide of dinosaurs. The Whiterstave was key here since it allowed me to pump out constantly mortal wounds since my opponents army was stacked near their scenery. 

All in all the Maggotkin are a blast to play and so far, mine are undefeated in Season 2. Let's see how they will fare in the new Season.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jazzbeaux said:

The new rules, 190 points now.  Seems improved, and is finally a Priest.  Does feel like they gave us half the rules in the battletome, waiting for the model to 'improve' him.

634ce441-dc5b-4afb-aed4-657aa04a7fda.jpg

Yeah better but man he still looks like hot garbage for that point value. Damage output is only slightly better than an 80 point foot hero and that's if he doesn't take the bell. Prayer is kinda awful and we don't even have a lore for him to take an extra one. I guess GW is still making him pay for being such a key piece for so many years. It's a shame because that model is absolutely gorgeous. 

• Like 1

Points seem pretty nice to me. Don't think we'll be launched to the top of the meta or anything but it gives some breathing room to daemon armies. Glottkin in particular seem great, I figured they were overcosted by 100-150 but I don't think I ever actually expected gw to drop their price that much. The way the game has evolved might mean they still need to come down another 100, but they could be interesting to play around with. Only thing left I kind of want to see now is a drop on blightkings by 20 or so. 

Edited by Grimrock

16 minutes ago, Jazzbeaux said:

I need to play more games.  I haven't even tried them yet...

So good as a ranged threat and cheap battleline, both of which we otherwise lack.  With them going up and Plague bearers going down they are really just there for the ranged threat now.  Still useful but not such a bargain.

• Like 1

All of the Nurgle mortal heroes are still way too expensive for what they do. Like why are Rotbringer sorcerers 140 points for a 1 cast wizard with a terrible ability and spell? In any other faction they would be 100 points and probably offer better support.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2023 at 5:26 AM, Tenebris said:

In the first game I have faced the infamous Troglodon Bomb. This thing pumps out an average 20 mortal wounds per turn but I was lucky since my adversary placed his Troglodon too close to my lines and it was promptly destroyed on turn one. From then on I had to sit tight for three turn, take all the mortal wounds dished by Lord Kroak and then jump on the two objectives once the central exploded. Here my Pusygole were my MVP tanking his Temple Guard like bosses and then went to score me the lowermost objective while the top most was captured by my Blightkings who walked across the board every turn.

I read somewhere the Troglodon Bomb has been nerfed somehow.  Haven't had the 'pleasure' of playing against it in any form yet :D  

I'm facing my friend's Nurgle army on Thursday w 3 sorcerers.  We'll see if my Clan Eshin can even make a dent in the tough boogers that are you Maggotkin!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been trying something slightly different lately:

Allegiance: Maggotkin of Nurgle
- Subfaction: Befouling Host
- Grand Strategy: Blessed Desecration
- Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Rotbringer Sorcerer (140)**
- General
- Command Trait: Grandfather's Blessing
- Lore of Malignance: Gift of Disease
Orghotts Daemonspew (320)**
Horticulous Slimux (200)*
Sloppity Bilepiper, Herald of Nurgle (120)*
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)

Battleline
1 x Beasts of Nurgle (100)**
1 x Beasts of Nurgle (100)*

Artillery
Plagueclaw (100)**
Plagueclaw (100)*

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment
**Battle Regiment

Total: 1980 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 127
Drops: 2

The list is pretty fun to play but my first game was against LRL in a battleplan with very small deployment zones (Spring the Trap) and damn the AoE hurt (Storm of Searing White Light + Rune of Petrification + Malevolent Maelstrom every turn). 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A question regarding Coalition units.

As per the Legion of Chaos rule, a coalition unit can not be your general.

But is there anything that stops Plague Monk counting as battleline if you also include a Plague Priest?

The rule for plague monks states that 1 unit count as battleline for each plague priest in your army (nothing about skaven/skaventide army).

/Cheers Rangeltoft