Where can I find an army popularity list?

Redmore Trout

2 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Tossing Dispossessed in with Fyreslayers doesn't work the same way it doesn't work with Kharadrons. 

Back in Ye Olde Worlde, Slayers and the more 'out there' Engineer units were just small parts of the army (Heroes, Special or Rare) and aesthetically designed to fit in with the rest of the range, both in terms of rules and aesthetics. 

Fyreslayers and Kharadron however both have very distinct rules, lore and aesthetics as they're intended to be standalone armies. Put the Dwarf Gyrocopter next to any of the Kharadron airships and you can see there's a distinctive, deliberate difference between them. Hell, put Gotrek next to a Fyreslayer and he looks 'off'.

Truthfully said, fyreslayers have such a small range and all look alike, that it probably would help them a lot, if they had the chance of taking more then just their own models into their range as an army.

personally, even if they look too different to the dispossessed dwarfs, I could see them working together pretty well, which would at least give the fyreslayers a few varieties, when it comes down to looks.

Personally, Mixed dwarfs (excluding ko) is something I’m really hoping for.

either by a single city of sigmar, that somehow allows all dwarf units to be taken, or by a new battletome, that just screams out dwarfs, with Gotrek leading them.

So, in order to get the vaguest amount of data about army popularity I searched Instagram hashtags which tell you how many posts a particular hastag has. 

I searched the full name in each case which was usually the most popular hashtag. 

For order number 1  by far was Stormcast Eternals with over 100,000 posts. Next were Slyvaneth and Seraphon with around 40,000 posts each. After that it drops into the teens. In descending order it is Kharadron Overlords, Idoneth Deepkin, cities of Sigmar, Fyreslayers and then Daughters of Khaine in last place. 

In death by far the most posts were for Nighthaunt with 57,000. Next were soulblight gravelords with around 13,000. Finally we have FEC and OBR each with just 11,000 posts which is less than Daughters of Khaine. I also checked legions of nagash which had 17,000 posts. 

In destruction, it gets a bit more complicated. In the number 1 spot is Gloomspite with 37,000 followed by Ironjawz with 25,000. Everything else had less than 10,000 posts. Maybe destruction players don't like painting. 

With chaos it gets a bit more complicated as Khorne Slaanesh etc have their numbers massively inflated by 40k. 

Skaven were the most popular with 60,000 posts but they are the only faction to keep their name from the old world. 

Next was slaves to darkness with 27,000 posts. 

In terms of the god named books, Blades Khorne is number 1 at 13,000 followed by Nurgle, then Slaanesh and finally Tzeentch with just 4000 posts. 

Beasts of chaos had 8000 posts. 

So by alliance the most popular factions are Stormcast Eternals, Gloomspite Gitz, Nighthaunt and Skaven*

The least popular are Daughters of Khaine, Sons of Behamat, Flesheater Courts(just), and Disciples of Tzeentch.

Its kind of amusing how this is almost the opposite of the tournament data. 

*Perhaps this is due to the old world. 

For context ageofsigmar had 950,000 posts. Warhammer 40k had over 3 million. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Chikout said:

So, in order to get the vaguest amount of data about army popularity I searched Instagram hashtags which tell you how many posts a particular hastag has. 

I searched the full name in each case which was usually the most popular hashtag. 

For order number 1  by far was Stormcast Eternals with over 100,000 posts. Next were Slyvaneth and Seraphon with around 40,000 posts each. After that it drops into the teens. In descending order it is Kharadron Overlords, Idoneth Deepkin, cities of Sigmar, Fyreslayers and then Daughters of Khaine in last place. 

In death by far the most posts were for Nighthaunt with 57,000. Next were soulblight gravelords with around 13,000. Finally we have FEC and OBR each with just 11,000 posts which is less than Daughters of Khaine. I also checked legions of nagash which had 17,000 posts. 

In destruction, it gets a bit more complicated. In the number 1 spot is Gloomspite with 37,000 followed by Ironjawz with 25,000. Everything else had less than 10,000 posts. Maybe destruction players don't like painting. 

With chaos it gets a bit more complicated as Khorne Slaanesh etc have their numbers massively inflated by 40k. 

Skaven were the most popular with 60,000 posts but they are the only faction to keep their name from the old world. 

In terms of the god named books, Blades Khorne is number 1 at 13,000 followed by Nurgle, then Slaanesh and finally Tzeentch with just 4000 posts. 

So by alliance the most popular factions are Stormcast Eternals, Gloomspite Gitz, Nighthaunt and Skaven*

The least popular are Daughters of Khaine, Sons of Behamat, Flesheater Courts(just), and Disciples of Tzeentch.

this does align with the Warhammer weekly hypothesis that strong competitive Meta army are not necessary the most popular armies especially if they are known to cause NPE.

Obviously, SCE being the most popular is not a surprise I do feel that NH and Gitz do alright in popularity given some other survey putting them high up

i think Ironjawz would be up there but i think because of lack of kits that they are not an army that churns the Instagram numbers 

3 hours ago, Chikout said:

Thank you, those are some interesting numbers.

For Order you left out Lumineth Realm-Lords. They clock in at 14.700, so beat out Fyreslayers and Daughters of Khaine but fall short of Idoneth Deepkin and the others. Still very impressive for such a young army range. I fully expect them to grow past most other Order armies as well. 

Daughters of Khaine is still really weird to me. I get that painting the Witch Aelves can be intimidating, but I always thought that the Snake Ladies and especially Morathi were universally well- liked models.

5 hours ago, Chikout said:

This is interesting. Are these hashtag numbers over a specific period? Or are they for all time? If the latter it might make sense to normalise the data based on when a faction released. The ideal thing would be number of hits over the length of 2021, as most factions were in more or less their present state for the whole year. 

Otherwise maybe divide each number by the number of months the faction has been out? 

Early factions like Seraphon, sylvaneth etc will have had much more time to accumulate hits, while the fact that some later day factions still come out ahead may suggest that they are even more popular than they seem!

• Like 1

Alternatively, is it possible to show posts per month? Cumulative is nice but as the poster above me says it reflects also lifespan.

there is the question of what exactly are we trying to measure, too. Suppose a new wave of models is released (e.g. lumineth) and posts boom. After a while, people have painted and poster their collections and typically expansions of their armies (and thus posts) will come slowly. Is an army popular if many people have it in the closet or if many new purchases are happening?

from a marketing/sales standpoint, both are interesting, but again it depends on what you want to measure.

as players, I think that the better measure is current posts per day/month. It gives a sense of the current level of excitement over an army.

10 hours ago, Maogrim said:

Thank you, those are some interesting numbers.

For Order you left out Lumineth Realm-Lords. They clock in at 14.700, so beat out Fyreslayers and Daughters of Khaine but fall short of Idoneth Deepkin and the others. Still very impressive for such a young army range. I fully expect them to grow past most other Order armies as well. 

Daughters of Khaine is still really weird to me. I get that painting the Witch Aelves can be intimidating, but I always thought that the Snake Ladies and especially Morathi were universally well- liked models.

I think it also has to do with not all army are instagram able or just have too few units to keep churning out posts. Infantry centric army probably suffer from this the most

not to mention that taking a picture of a small witch elves and have it come out looking nice is hard

edit: while Sylvaneath I would say it a very strong hobbyist army and I can see it being more popular in Instagrams despite it having some gameplay issues in AoS.

Edited by novakai

You are also missing grognards who dont use instagram, or dont use hashtags, or dont use the official army names, or use old versions. I know no methodology is perfect which is going to skew numbers a bit too. Interesting way to look at things though :)

For example, this afternoon our group played (According to the armies owners) Sigmarines v Orcs and Eshin/Skaven  v Vampires :D

• 1 month later...