Vampire Lord Command Ability spam

Holy_Diver

Question

11 answers to this question

Edit due to thread being revived: core rules FAQ voids my response below, as the clause surrounding benefitting once per phase has been removed.

Original: I think it comes down to what the word "benefit" means in the context of Age of Sigmar.

As has been pointed out to me previously on this, apparently "benefit" was the old way of saying "receive" a command ability, though now for AoS 3 we have receive and issue making things a bit clearer.

In this scenario, what does "benefit from" mean?

Does it mean receive, and thus it can be stacked, or does it actually mean benefit as per the definition of the word, and thus you can only ever have +1 attack from it, regardless of how many times you actually stack the ability?

I play Soulblight, and I'm the type of player to try and play every rule to my advantage, however I find this one to be a bit of a stretch purely RAW, because to me "benefit" means benefit, and you can't benefit more than once, meaning you can't ever have more than +1 attack from this ability. Even my WAAC brain would feel slightly dishonest using this one, unless cleared with a TO ahead of time.

Edited by Liquidsteel
Rules changed
  • Like 2

Rules as written the core rules faq states to ignore any wording like 'benefit' because the only language that is legal now is issue and receive. Therefore it is legal to do so since you ignore the 'benefit' section as it is a term that is no longer in use in 3.0.

... Huh. Yeah, interesting wording on that ability. You can apply the bonus attack in any combat phase, and it lasts until your next hero phase. So if you applied it to a unit in your own turn, your opponent's turn, and your opponent's double turn, by the end of that the unit would have +3 attacks to its melee weapons. (All three bonuses would then end in your hero phase.)

I can't see any other way to read that rule, honestly. It doesn't feel like an intended effect, but it's not at all unclear.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2021 at 8:49 AM, Liquidsteel said:

I think it comes down to what the word "benefit" means in the context of Age of Sigmar.

As has been pointed out to me previously on this, apparently "benefit" was the old way of saying "receive" a command ability, though now for AoS 3 we have receive and issue making things a bit clearer.

Does it mean receive, and thus it can be stacked, or does it actually mean benefit as per the definition of the word, and thus you can only ever have +1 attack from it, regardless of how many times you actually stack the ability?

I play Soulblight, and I'm the type of player to try and play every rule to my advantage, however I find this one to be a bit of a stretch purely RAW, because to me "benefit" means benefit, and you can't benefit more than once, meaning you can't ever have more than +1 attack from this ability. Even my WAAC brain would feel slightly dishonest using this one, unless cleared with a TO ahead of time.

This is the correct answer. Benefit and receive have distinct definitions, they don't mean quite the same thing: receive means be given while benefit means to gain an advantage from; the advantage of the command ability is +1 attack. 

The real answer is that it's a typo like the wight king's CA, it should say use in hero phase last til next hero phase, or use in combat phase last til end of combat phase.

On 9/20/2021 at 8:49 AM, Liquidsteel said:

I think it comes down to what the word "benefit" means in the context of Age of Sigmar.

This is my understanding, and another ability that is off the top of my head is the soulblight returning slain models ability that their heroes have, they say that a unit can only 'benefit' from the ability once per turn, so if I try to return a dire wolf and roll a 1, that unit hasn't benefitted from the ability as none return and nothing happens, but they have 'received' the ability. So can I then move on to another hero and choose the dire wolf unit again to try and benefit? It needs clarification imo.

3 hours ago, Ghoooouls said:

This is my understanding, and another ability that is off the top of my head is the soulblight returning slain models ability that their heroes have, they say that a unit can only 'benefit' from the ability once per turn, so if I try to return a dire wolf and roll a 1, that unit hasn't benefitted from the ability as none return and nothing happens, but they have 'received' the ability. So can I then move on to another hero and choose the dire wolf unit again to try and benefit? It needs clarification imo.

Good point. Its not clear is it.

I think intent is one attempt, pass or fail.

Though you can fairly argue (and I have made use of thus interpretation) that it had to be successful to count as benefit. 

6 hours ago, Ghoooouls said:

Sorry I should clarify. They removed the clause regarding benefiting more than once per phase via the core rules FAQ.

So you can stack Vamp Lord CA.

While some may argue the FAQ removes this clause regarding benefitting more than once per phase, it is clear that this FAQ is in response to descriptions of command abilities written for 2nd addition that needed this restriction (because back then you could use the same command ability twice in the same round unless otherwise instructed).  This is certainly not the case with Crimson Feast.  I believe the intent here is that it does not stack.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 12:25 AM, Lord Krungharr said:

No it wouldn't stack.  If it can't benefit more than once per phase, then getting 2 or more attacks from the same ability in a combat phase would be benefitting more than once per phase.

The clause about benefiting more than once per phase is removed via the FAQ, so it can 100% be stacked.

4 hours ago, Tibus367 said:

While some may argue the FAQ removes this clause regarding benefitting more than once per phase, it is clear that this FAQ is in response to descriptions of command abilities written for 2nd addition that needed this restriction (because back then you could use the same command ability twice in the same round unless otherwise instructed).  This is certainly not the case with Crimson Feast.  I believe the intent here is that it does not stack.

RAW it is now stackable without question.

Intent is obviously unknown and ultimately irrelevant. The book is technically a 2nd edition book but not completely. It's not clear or certain what is intended. 

• Like 1