Stormcast Eternals 3.0 - There is no "a" in Vindictors

PJetski

The thing with that list is... no interaction. Its just you bombing your stuff. Auto win or if the enemy survives you can play mayb a few turns. Its fun for 1 tournament maybe but it gets boring for both sides pretty fast. Ive played the vex spam and the lack of actual interaction between players and between units felt so boring. At the end of the tournament i didnt feel like i played a game of warhammer i just played a game where i did 1 trick for 5 games...

Wouldnt recommend to build it to any one who loves combat interaction or movement tricks/ interaction

• Like 3

I've played against a less all-in version of the list, if I recall correctly it had 3 vexillors, the everblaze comet, and a decent amount of shooting support from deep strike Tempestors.

It ended up being more interactive than you'd think with the mind games, obviously you expect to get bombed turn 1, so you can try to deploy against it by spreading out to minimise it, but then it becomes a game of can you lower their potential output enough before they decide to pull the trigger and drop the bombs on you. In the end, the dracoths ended up being the main threat, and there's really about the same interactivity between vexillors dropping their MW bombs and tempestors dropping from the sky to shoot something important.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2024 at 1:53 AM, Marcvs said:

Gargants. They survive the first salvo, they can spread their deployment, and then they just go stand on circles.

Anything with sufficiently high wound count, yeah. Soulblight, Flesh-eaters, etc.

14 hours ago, Dogmantra said:

I've played against a less all-in version of the list, if I recall correctly it had 3 vexillors, the everblaze comet, and a decent amount of shooting support from deep strike Tempestors.

It ended up being more interactive than you'd think with the mind games, obviously you expect to get bombed turn 1, so you can try to deploy against it by spreading out to minimise it, but then it becomes a game of can you lower their potential output enough before they decide to pull the trigger and drop the bombs on you. In the end, the dracoths ended up being the main threat, and there's really about the same interactivity between vexillors dropping their MW bombs and tempestors dropping from the sky to shoot something important.

Sounds like my list! Have we met?

How many Tempestors?  I have 4, but I could easily convert my other 4 Desolators into Tempestors.  I do like their pew-pews. 

I was considering running a Stormkeep for experimental purposes to see how Steam Tanks fare in a non-Cities army.  Something like:

Hammers of Sigmar

Knight Draconis/Knight Zephyros/Lord Ordinator

2 Tempestors/2 Fulminators/5 and 5 Sequitors/ 3 Aetherwings

coalition allies: 2 Steam Tanks, Freeguild Command Corps

allies: 5 Tree Revenants

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/15/2024 at 11:35 PM, Malakithe said:

I really hate all these once per battle things. And how are all the battleline still way overcosted vs Chaos Warriors vs Saurus Warriors?

Could be worse. At least they aren't minimum 10 AND overcosted like nu ardboyz lol

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
58 minutes ago, NauticalSoup said:

Well, there goes my entire SCE army :)

Given that this is the third almost complete AoS army I've owned that GW has squatted, I genuinely regret every giving this game a chance

I'm a bit surprised the Sacrosanct is going, but I think this means they'll be getting a thunderstrike update next?

we know most if not all of the Warrior Chamber stuff is proxyable.

it sucks but don't lose out hope just yet... we knew something like this may happen :(

12 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

I'm a bit surprised the Sacrosanct is going, but I think this means they'll be getting a thunderstrike update next?

My understanding from the article is that sacrosanct isn't getting new sculpts, it's just going away, and I imagine some of the random foot heroes are in the same boat - things like the knight heraldor. I imagine some of the other stuff is staying, just getting thunderstrike updates like we know liberators are. If I had to guess I'd say Prosecutors will be in that boat (based on the fact they are in the realms of ruin rts, which also had thunderstrike liberators).

I already have in mind some counts as ideas, things like running dracolines as dracothian guard, foot evos as annihilators, I think there'll be a place for most of it.

It is disappointing though, as it's by far the best set of sculpts in the entire SCE line, and had the most interesting rules for 2nd and 3rd ed. It's definitely tempered my expectations for 4th, which is a bit of whiplash given the army organisation thing got me super excited.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Dogmantra said:

I already have in mind some counts as ideas, things like running dracolines as dracothian guard, foot evos as annihilators, I think there'll be a place for most of it.

yes, I'd say the only ones which seems difficult to "proxy" are 1) the ballista, and 2) the tauralon (although, he's the same base size as Inous, just saying).

All the others should have an easy way to "count as", sometimes some kitbashing will be required if WYSIWYG is a requirement.

it still bad of course to see models which aren't even 6 years old gone.

7 hours ago, Dogmantra said:

My understanding from the article is that sacrosanct isn't getting new sculpts,

@NauticalSoup warcom media managers confirmed sacrosanct is getting refreshes. and let's be real: the list of squatted kits includes the 2 units we saw thunderstrike versions of in the 4e trailer -- GW is not going to drop their wizard-paladin aesthetic without replacements.

8 hours ago, Nozdormu said:

I have to share that I predicted three years ago that the new and old SCE models will be separated (for two battletomes) but people laughed at it :P 

image.png.456a90a11a10ada83d16173d5b102c42.png

Lol, fair

The Liberator warscroll really adds insult to injury for SCE players. In theory, you can use your old models. In practice, the warscroll makes it impossible.

The warscroll specifically prohibits the unit champions from carrying Grandhammers. This was both legal and optimal in the previous editions, so every SCE player has modelled their Liberators in a way that is now illegal.

17 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

@NauticalSoup warcom media managers confirmed sacrosanct is getting refreshes. and let's be real: the list of squatted kits includes the 2 units we saw thunderstrike versions of in the 4e trailer -- GW is not going to drop their wizard-paladin aesthetic without replacements.

Oh, do you have a link? The way the article was written really suggested to me that the rules for sacrosanct were fully being retired and that refreshes would be for some of the non-sacrosanct units. That's great news if the rules are staying because I know a lot of folks, myself included, think sacrosanct is the best.

Edited by Dogmantra
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dogmantra said:

Oh, do you have a link? The way the article was written really suggested to me that the rules for sacrosanct were fully being retired and that refreshes would be for some of the non-sacrosanct units. That's great news if the rules are staying because I know a lot of folks, myself included, think sacrosanct is the best.

it's somewhere in the rumor thread and on reddit, unfortunately can't find it again due to how many people are posting !

i'll preface this by saying it absolutely is anti-consumer and scummy, but there's no way GW aren't replacing Sacrosanct with Thunderstrike versions. the wizard-paladin aesthetic is one of the best in AOS period. if og Sacrosanct are legal until 2025 then I really think we can expect some replacements during 4e with a full refresh by 5e.

Vanguard chamber is the weakest Stormcast aesthetic. some of them might get refreshed, like Raptors, but i could see Vanguard being the only SCE stuff that doesn't see a proper redo.

2 hours ago, feadair said:

The Liberator warscroll really adds insult to injury for SCE players. In theory, you can use your old models. In practice, the warscroll makes it impossible.

The warscroll specifically prohibits the unit champions from carrying Grandhammers. This was both legal and optimal in the previous editions, so every SCE player has modelled their Liberators in a way that is now illegal.

i don't think it makes it impossible, and especially when most liberators i've ever seen are the starter box that gave no grandhammer. you could also easily mark another liberator as the leader, since it makes perfect sense for special weapons carriers to be marked as well.

17 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

i don't think it makes it impossible, and especially when most liberators i've ever seen are the starter box that gave no grandhammer. you could also easily mark another liberator as the leader, since it makes perfect sense for special weapons carriers to be marked as well.

Not impossible, but pretty awkward and annoying. Most players will have a nice champion model with a plume, special pauldron, and a grandhammer, since that was optimal and legal in the past. Now that is illegal, so you always have to explain to the opponent that the dude who looks like the champion is actually not - instead it is one of the ordinary looking ones. 

23 minutes ago, feadair said:

Not impossible, but pretty awkward and annoying. Most players will have a nice champion model with a plume, special pauldron, and a grandhammer, since that was optimal and legal in the past. Now that is illegal, so you always have to explain to the opponent that the dude who looks like the champion is actually not - instead it is one of the ordinary looking ones. 

well if you happened to get the multipart kit, you could either snip off the prime's plume or use one of the new thunderstrike primes right? or any other prime with a shield you may have.

24 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

well if you happened to get the multipart kit, you could either snip off the prime's plume or use one of the new thunderstrike primes right? or any other prime with a shield you may have.

Yep, buying and painting new thunderstrike models will solve the issue.

• Haha 1