Bonersplitterz in 3rd Edition

Jimmy Bob Jones

Got a big 5 game tournie down in central IL this summer and everyone gets to bring an Underworlds Warband along at no points cost, so long as it's the same Grand Alliance.  At first I was thinking Rippa's Snarlfangs but there are quite a few Destruction choices.  Is the potential Unleash Hell negation better than outright krumpin' of that Ironjawz one?  Guess with Rippa's we can take as normal allies, so that makes actual sense.  Hrothgorn's Mantrappers can deepstrike, but I don't have other Ogors anymore.

• Like 1

I reckon I'd go with the Mantrappers personally, a deepstriking threat is always super valuable.  Just remember to start the goons off the board with the big fella, and you can autoscore Aggressive Expansion (the cat doesn't count, because it's not part of your starting army).  

The nice thing is they count as 6 models on objectives (Hrothgorn himself is 2, plus 3 goons and a cat) so you can steal from a unit of 5 (including a Monster) if they leave room for you to land on the point.

Nice little kit to paint too.  That's what I'd do 🙂

• Thanks 1

I love this army, but I have to get it into my head that the goal here is to NOT engage with da boyz most of the time. 

Chose broken ranks on a unit of 5 flesh hounds, 8 boar boyz with glowy green tusks, only killed 2. 

play the objectives people!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cdance93 said:

I love this army, but I have to get it into my head that the goal here is to NOT engage with da boyz most of the time. 

Chose broken ranks on a unit of 5 flesh hounds, 8 boar boyz with glowy green tusks, only killed 2. 

yikes thats some seriously bad luck man

5 hours ago, Cdance93 said:

On the other hand it sounds more like your dice jammed than this was a bad charge. Cursory math suggests, without even bothering to math in icebonez mortals or exploding hits, you should have cleaned up that unit with a few wounds to spare. I even assumed you weren't able to fight with everything.

1 hour ago, NauticalSoup said:

On the other hand it sounds more like your dice jammed than this was a bad charge. Cursory math suggests, without even bothering to math in icebonez mortals or exploding hits, you should have cleaned up that unit with a few wounds to spare. I even assumed you weren't able to fight with everything.

Yeah, I mean it definitely should have happened and I rolled a lot of 1s and 2s to wound so it was unfortunate but I definitely understand we lack killing power. I’m also curious on everyone’s thoughts on unit sizes, when should we run min and when should we run big blobs

17 minutes ago, NauticalSoup said:

I run everything MSU unless it's getting buffed. Anything that's meant to be pumped up is reinforced, like maniaks, arrowboys in bonegrinz, whatever. 

Interesting! For example in my current list I run 30 savage with stikkas but the only real reason is to create a giant tarpit

4 minutes ago, Cdance93 said:

Interesting! For example in my current list I run 30 savage with stikkas but the only real reason is to create a giant tarpit

I've done that before but I've found them to be more annoying to deal with when they're spread out since your opponent ends up overkilling one at a time. I even run my big stabbas as MSU now too, go wide as possible BUT I'm also bringing kragnos as my primary hammer so

Mileage may vary

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, NauticalSoup said:

I've done that before but I've found them to be more annoying to deal with when they're spread out since your opponent ends up overkilling one at a time. I even run my big stabbas as MSU now too, go wide as possible BUT I'm also bringing kragnos as my primary hammer so

Mileage may vary

I think intent is super important, for example, going into this army knowing the goal was to simply body block, deny tactics and objectives it really helped me play. My intent for 30 boyz was definitely to create a tarpit but maybe it doesn’t actually do anything besides create an opportunity  to kill more orruks than if the unit was smaller 

This is something I've not really considered before (after like 17 years of wargaming).  Good strategery!  

If we can get Gorkamorka's Warcry off on a scary enemy unit, that allows all the not-so-stabby things to go to town on it without reprisal, and strike first with a Savage Boss + Stabbas, that's a good one-two punch after having zapped them in the hero phase hopefully 3-4 times.  Activation wars live!  My Beasts of Chaos are better at that though.

While I like the giant boarboys units, the groups of 5 are more managable from the start with their ease of coherency.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cdance93 said:

I think intent is super important, for example, going into this army knowing the goal was to simply body block, deny tactics and objectives it really helped me play. My intent for 30 boyz was definitely to create a tarpit but maybe it doesn’t actually do anything besides create an opportunity  to kill more orruks than if the unit was smaller 

It comes down to support. 30 boyz, plus a +1save via Wardokk or mystic shield, Emerald Lifeswarm, and occasional Rally's should keep it alive and doing what it is supposed to. The question is whether or not it is worth the investment.

Lol, makes me really want a Faction terrain piece. Waaagh Banners. Something like reroll battleshock and charges, and add +1to rally rolls for units within 6.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Krungharr said:

While I like the giant boarboys units, the groups of 5 are more managable from the start with their ease of coherency.  

Always but savage orcs being what they are, 5 guys is rarely 5 guys for long. To really hit hard and get those buffs I've never found less than 10 maniaks to be sufficient as an actual hammer. For screens, objective play and harassment 5s are king though. I wish I could take regular orruks in 5s that would be incredible. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Cdance93 said:

I just went to an event, ran Kraggy, Prophet and Big Boss General, 2x 5 Boarboys, 10x Maniaks and 30x Savage Boys with Stikkas.

It’s quite fun to have this amount of bodys who are nearly unshiftable. But the Great Hunter trait was mandatory for moving my footguys forward. 8“ + 5“ + auto 6“ , they could tag an objective early and defend it confidentaly, or you set them up in two rows in front of your enemy as a Big unpassable wall, while you score with the rest.

I think a Big blob is super versatile and brings a lot to the table (wounds) But 3x 10 dudes would have probably done the Same Job. And with Not just one Unit you can spread out more and control the Board better. The 30 Man Unit won‘t erase anything, so be more of a nuissance, than an actual threat.

I was thinking about it today when comparing battleline units in the book, does anyone else agree that Savage Orruks are over pointed? They’re 5 points less than a unit of 10 ‘ard boyz for same wounds. Ardboyz getting a 4+ rally seems and a 4+ save seems worth more than that

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cdance93 said:

I was thinking about it today when comparing battleline units in the book, does anyone else agree that Savage Orruks are over pointed? They’re 5 points less than a unit of 10 ‘ard boyz for same wounds. Ardboyz getting a 4+ rally seems and a 4+ save seems worth more than that

Yep. Arrowboys are too. As is... well honestly there's a case to be made the entire allegiance needs to be cheaper since they stripped so much out and so few tools work as intended.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cdance93 said:

Yes. but you can't play ardboys in BS :)

Also you can take them in pack of thirty and can have 2'' reach. They also have an extra source of +1 save (wardock), something ardboys doesnt have access. So still a playable option.

I think GW made them points-costed like that because Bonesplitterz come with a 6++.  However I totally agree and am praying to GorkaMorka and Shattatusk that we don't get hosed, and in fact get blessed with the upcoming GHB2022.  I also want my Wurgoggs to stay as-is, or get cheaper, nothing else!

Saturday I have a game vs the new Idoneth Deepkin scheduled.  Anyone play them recently?  I've played against them thrice, all in AoS 2.0 (once with Clan Eshin, once with Legion of Azgorh, and lastly with my Sons of Behemat at the end of 2.0).  I remember the turtles being tanks, the sharks being surprising damaging, and the eels ignoring rend.  But I don't know their new tricks...do they have ward saves?  Or should I just go Icebone and load up on attacks?  I do want to try my 4 Wurgoggs. 

Not sure if the Savage Boss 8" pregame move is worth it necessarily with fast incoming aelves.  Maniak Weirdknob has a good spell, but means less Wurgogg.  Rogue Idol is dead-stompy, but so many points.  I think I need the allied Spider Riders for chaffy screens, and possibly shaman with Scuttletide, though he will have wizardry as well.   hmmmmm

5 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Well looks like the Deepkin do have some ward save action....I smell some Drakkfeet!  Gonna bring my mostly painted models thus far.  The sacrifice of Drakkfoot is we have to take foot dudes for battleline.  Gonna miss the boar-speed I think, but worth trying out for sure.  

Drakkfoot Elite v1.JPG

Looks like a fun list to play, laser death haha!

I would love to get people’s take on a Big Waaaagh! List that’s BS centered, I’m not entirely sure where to start 

• Like 1