AoS 3 - Nighthaunt Discussion

dmorley21

45 minutes ago, Warbossironteef said:

Anyone here have experience playing with 9x Spirit Hosts? Is it about they tankiness of the unit and effectiveness of returning them?

I dont think i would run more than 6 in a unit. They take up a lot of points just for the bodyguard thing and the damage isnt really there. They made lady o really hard to kill last game i played though.

2 hours ago, Warbossironteef said:

Anyone here have experience playing with 9x Spirit Hosts? Is it about they tankiness of the unit and effectiveness of returning them?

I don't. But here is a batrep of the Master Nate Trentanelli using a unit of 9 SH vs Sons of Behemat

• Like 1

I don't have any experience running 9 spirit host either but if there's lists that are winning with it then it's self evident that it can work.

That being said, especially in this edition, I really struggle to see why you would take 9 when you can take 3x3 and just clump them like a unit of 9. I guess drops is a factor but I don't usually see NH going for low drop builds.

In 9, so many hammers, especially if they're hunters will still lift the unit easily. 3x3 means if they're layered up, you get the same bonuses of 9, but they can only delete 3 on the charge unless they can pile in around all the units or have 3 inches melee.

Units like Lady O have better synergy with 3x3 for healing as does terminexus (assuming the unit of 3 has a model left). Maybe a unit of 6 with 3 behind it so you're more likely to have a unit to heal. I think a lot of the time though, stuff like mawcrushers that kills 3 will also kill 9.

There's also utility with 3x3. You can get more wave of terror in a pinch. You can unblob them and send one after an objective and still have your hero protected. There's probably other benefits I haven't considered.

This is theory though, if someone has tried 9 and found success, I'd be interested in hearing their reasons.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Warbossironteef said:

Did it at the start when the book dropped. Quickly realised it was a bit unnecessary as just a unit of 3 is pretty hard to kill off. 

Hi all,

I'm completely new to AOS, the last competitive game of Warhammer I played would have been back in the days of fantasy 6th edition. I came back to the hobby recently and fell in love with the Nighthaunt aesthetic and since their battletome has just been updated I figured now would be the best opportunity to dive in.

If anyone could share opinions on my list that would be great.

🔸Subfaction: The Scarlet Doom

🔸Grand Strategy: Hold the Line

🔸Triumph: Bloodthirsty

WARLORD BATTALION 1 (Additional Artefact)

🔸Lady Olynder (340) --- (Spells: Lifestealer)

🔸Guardian of Souls (150) with Chill Blade --- [General] (Command Trait: Cloaked in Shadow, Artefact: Arcane Tome, Spells: Shademist)

🔸Krulghast Cruciator (150) --- (Artefact: Lightshard of the Harvest Moon)

🔸Bladegheist Revenants x20 (350)

🔸Bladegheist Revenants x20 (350)

WARLORD BATTALION 2 (Additional Artefact)

🔸Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed (155) --- (Artefact: Cloak of the Waxing Moon)

🔸Spirit Torment (115)

🔸Awlrach the Drowner (175)

🔸Bladegheist Revenants x10 (175)

ENDLESS SPELLS

🔸Aethervoid Pendulum (40)

TOTAL POINTS: 2000/2000

I’m wondering what the general consensus on Lady O is so far? I love the model, but I’m not entirely sure what purpose she serves for the points. Aside from filling a role as a caster, I feel like the points would almost always be better spent on more bodies or cheaper support hero’s. What are other people’s thoughts/ experiences? 

Edited by TechnoVampire

5 minutes ago, TechnoVampire said:

I’m wondering what the general consensus on Lady O is so far? I love the model, but I’m not entirely sure what purpose she serves for the points. Aside from filling a role as a caster, I feel like the points would almost always be better spent on more bodies or cheaper support hero’s. What are other people’s thoughts/ experiences? 

Some people like her and some dont. I feel like she does a whole lot of everything or a whole lot of nothing. Dont know if she is the best competitive choice but in my casual games i like her a lot. At worst she is threat to your opponent.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

Some people like her and some dont. I feel like she does a whole lot of everything or a whole lot of nothing. Dont know if she is the best competitive choice but in my casual games i like her a lot. At worst she is threat to your opponent.

That seems fair. I haven’t had a chance to play with her yet and I don’t think she seems very competitive, but I own the model so I’ll probably use her in my casual games. I think if I was playing more competitively I’d be tempted to cut her and spend the points elsewhere, but I’m interested to know if others have found her particularly useful for a specific purpose? 

10 hours ago, TechnoVampire said:

I’d be tempted to cut her and spend the points elsewhere

I mainly use her as a support piece for my 20 BGR. She does very well and I'm yet to have her die. Just curious, what would you include instead of her? I always list build without her but always feel like I'm missing something. 

On 8/23/2022 at 7:48 AM, TechnoVampire said:

I intend to us hear in quicksilver dead for  2+ mortal wounds in the shoting face and som heling for my 2x20 haridrens

20 hours ago, lare2 said:

I mainly use her as a support piece for my 20 BGR. She does very well and I'm yet to have her die. Just curious, what would you include instead of her? I always list build without her but always feel like I'm missing something. 

That’s interesting. I like that she’s a double caster ( although I wish she had bonus to cast/ unbind), is pretty tough to kill and provides some support (though I’d prefer a decent buff than one off resurrect). I’m usually list building with her because I have the model, but often feeling like I want to spend the points on other things. It depends on the list I’m building, but I feel like NH are quite (decent) caster light, so if I remove her I’ve tended to replace her with reikenor and purple sun + cogs with some with points left over. Otherwise if I’ve got Guardian of souls in the list I’ve found she makes room for cruciator (which I struggle to fit in sometimes) + another unit of something useful. I’m mostly just theory building though, as I haven’t had much time to play games lately so welcome hearing other people experiences. 

Olynder was in all of my lists at the start, but eventually I replaced her with Awlrach and another unit. 

Sometimes she was amazing, but often she was simply "ok", and for 340 points you can't just be ok.

The rise of the purple sun meta means a lot more people are bringing magic dom armies, or teching in to magic dom through traits etc, meaning a no bonuses to cast wizard is going to have a bad time.

She will always be a threat as when you spike she's incredible, but there is an overwhelming amount of RNG baked in to her kit that when you roll low, feels like a waste of points.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Liquidsteel said:

Olynder was in all of my lists at the start, but eventually I replaced her with Awlrach and another unit. 

Sometimes she was amazing, but often she was simply "ok", and for 340 points you can't just be ok.

The rise of the purple sun meta means a lot more people are bringing magic dom armies, or teching in to magic dom through traits etc, meaning a no bonuses to cast wizard is going to have a bad time.

She will always be a threat as when you spike she's incredible, but there is an overwhelming amount of RNG baked in to her kit that when you roll low, feels like a waste of points.

This is pretty much what I suspected she’d be like… for 340 points I want a some sort of role fulfilled well and reliably, and I can’t see how she achieves that. I feel it’s slightly disappointing. I was excited about her getting a new scroll, and as much as I want to like her I don’t quite see how she fits/ what she achieves. I’ll most likely play her for fun and enjoy when she works, but not put much stock on her performing. 

On 8/23/2022 at 4:15 PM, TechnoVampire said:

That seems fair. I haven’t had a chance to play with her yet and I don’t think she seems very competitive, but I own the model so I’ll probably use her in my casual games. I think if I was playing more competitively I’d be tempted to cut her and spend the points elsewhere, but I’m interested to know if others have found her particularly useful for a specific purpose? 

I haven't used her much but the challenge is kinda that she does too much.The challenge is you're paying points for all of these so she really needs to be doing all of them. Trying to do so will often put her in risky situationations. If you don't though, you've paid points for abilities you didn't use. Some of them are also fairly random, the res ability can be great or it can really let you down, so there's a reliability issue.

• Like 2

All this talk of Lady O makes me want to try something else. We're on a trip to Warhammer World Tuesday for a few games so thought I'd bring the following. 

- Army Faction: Nighthaunt

- Subfaction: The Scarlet Doom

- Grand Strategy: Pillars of Magic and Belief

- Triumph: Bloodthirsty

LEADERS

Reikenor the Grimhailer (190)**

- Spells: Shademist

Krulghast Cruciator (150)***

- Artefacts of Power: Arcane Tome

- Spells: Soul Cage

Guardian of Souls (150)***

- General

- Command Traits: Master of Magic

- Chill Blade

- Artefacts of Power: Pendant of the Fell Wind

- Spells: Seal of Shyish

Spirit Torment (115)***

BATTLELINE

Grimghast Reapers (160)*

Grimghast Reapers (160)*

Bladegheist Revenants (350)*

Hexwraiths (160)**

Hexwraiths (160)**

Spirit Hosts (125)***

OTHER

Myrmourn Banshees (105)**

ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS

1 x Purple Sun of Shyish (70)

CORE BATTALIONS

*Expert Conquerors

**Battle Regiment

***Warlord

Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

All heroes support the BGR brick, which moves forward to kill things and dominate. Reikenor's to cast Purple Sun. Either side of this brick are the Banshees, creating a complete null field. Flanking are the Hex, doing whatever they want. The Grimghast are in deepstrike, waiting to score Barge and Desecrate, in whatever order works best. Think it should work well and it fits my play style. Any thoughts?

Edited by lare2
  • Like 2

On 8/23/2022 at 7:48 AM, TechnoVampire said:

I love her. I use her with spectral tether and always put her in a threatening position with some deepstriking units and a dreadblade harrow. Those 2 + eventually the triumph means I can reroll charges 3 times. She's also very tough and this makes her fit for this role. Any opponent will have to choose if to focus on her or ignore her. Plus, she heals herself a lot and any opponent will overcommitt in trying to one shot her to not risk to have her back to full. And that usually means I can then kill all the stuff that is there exposed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fabbbio said:

I love her. I use her with spectral tether and always put her in a threatening position with some deepstriking units and a dreadblade harrow. Those 2 + eventually the triumph means I can reroll charges 3 times. She's also very tough and this makes her fit for this role. Any opponent will have to choose if to focus on her or ignore her. Plus, she heals herself a lot and any opponent will overcommitt in trying to one shot her to not risk to have her back to full. And that usually means I can then kill all the stuff that is there exposed.

I really like this idea of using her as an aggressive attacking unit. I feel like that’s maybe where her hidden strength lies, considering her ability to shrug and heal. Her support elements look good when they go off, but are pretty random… Can you use bloodthirsty and forward to victory in the same phase?? 

3 hours ago, TechnoVampire said:

Can you use bloodthirsty and forward to victory in the same phase?? 

Of course yes, bloodthirsty has nothing to do with command abilities even if the effect is the same

Edit: the most random of her abilities is the one that negates enemy CA. But imo its weakness is its relatively short range,meaning that if you use her more on the front line you will have also more chances to use that ability

Edited by Fabbbio

4 hours ago, Fabbbio said:

Of course yes, bloodthirsty has nothing to do with command abilities even if the effect is the same

Edit: the most random of her abilities is the one that negates enemy CA. But imo its weakness is its relatively short range,meaning that if you use her more on the front line you will have also more chances to use that ability

I’m confused because the core rules state you can’t reroll anything more than once, so it wouldn’t work unless I’m missing something? 

2 hours ago, TechnoVampire said:

I’m confused because the core rules state you can’t reroll anything more than once, so it wouldn’t work unless I’m missing something? 

You can't reroll the same charge more than once, but you can definetly reroll 2 or more different charges in the same phase

On 8/28/2022 at 11:07 AM, lare2 said:

All this talk of Lady O makes me want to try something else. We're on a trip to Warhammer World Tuesday for a few games so thought I'd bring the following. 

- Army Faction: Nighthaunt

- Subfaction: The Scarlet Doom

- Grand Strategy: Pillars of Magic and Belief

- Triumph: Bloodthirsty

LEADERS

Reikenor the Grimhailer (190)**

Krulghast Cruciator (150)***

- Artefacts of Power: Arcane Tome

- Spells: Soul Cage

Guardian of Souls (150)***

- General

- Command Traits: Master of Magic

- Chill Blade

- Artefacts of Power: Pendant of the Fell Wind

Spirit Torment (115)***

BATTLELINE

Grimghast Reapers (160)*

Grimghast Reapers (160)*

Bladegheist Revenants (350)*

Hexwraiths (160)**

Hexwraiths (160)**

Spirit Hosts (125)***

OTHER

ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS

1 x Purple Sun of Shyish (70)

CORE BATTALIONS

*Expert Conquerors

**Battle Regiment

***Warlord

Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

All heroes support the BGR brick, which moves forward to kill things and dominate. Reikenor's to cast Purple Sun. Either side of this brick are the Banshees, creating a complete null field. Flanking are the Hex, doing whatever they want. The Grimghast are in deepstrike, waiting to score Barge and Desecrate, in whatever order works best. Think it should work well and it fits my play style. Any thoughts?

I like this list. It feels like you’ve got a lot in it. It might be worth considering including a unit of chaingasts for +1 to hit since you have the spirit torment anyway. Also midnight tome artefact seems really strong if using endless spells for a once per battle autocast… I have a similar style list I’m thinking of trying: 

Army Faction: Nighthaunt
    - Army Subfaction: The Emerald Host
    - Grand Strategy: Feed on Terror
    - Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

LEADER

1 x Krulghast Cruciator (150)

1 x Reikenor the Grimhailer (190)

1 x Guardian of Souls (150)*
    - Chill Blade
    - Artefacts: Midnight Tome