AoS 3rd - Idoneth Deepkin discussion

HollowHills

1 hour ago, JackStreicher said:

I've watched a Video of GMWG and came to the conclusion that the new Namarti appear to be rather fun!
The Shark seemed fine too (the points might be an issue however)

I am happy that our Namarti are actually useful now!

Yeah, how 2 sharks are only 10 points less than 2 Stormdrake Guard is a mystery to me. Doesn't stop me from wanting some in my lists though, that net is one of my favourite tools for keeping my units alive.

I read a rumour on Reddit (from a guy who predicted the Fury of the Deep and Nurgle tomes, so maybe it has some legs) that the new tome was going to be joined by 3 new units. Even if the Thrallmaster is one of them, that could mean some exciting news on Friday, right?

• LOVE IT! 1

Hi. 
I want to start my AOS adventure and I liked Idoneth Deepkins.  From what I read it is a heavily defensive faction and you have to wait until the third round to attack with full power. As I'm new I will build my first army to max 400-700 points. Is it possible to win games with such amount of points by waiting a few rounds or does it only work with armies which have 2000 points and building smaller armies of Idoneth Deepkins makes no sense? 

• Like 1

The AoS App just got an update but they did not include the changes from the Battle Box 🙄

1 hour ago, Siorra said:

I read a rumour on Reddit (from a guy who predicted the Fury of the Deep and Nurgle tomes, so maybe it has some legs) that the new tome was going to be joined by 3 new units. Even if the Thrallmaster is one of them, that could mean some exciting news on Friday, right?

I hope we will get some news. At least a release date for the book would be nice.

As for new models I don't see many roles that aren't filled in the Deepkin range. I have some times advocated for some kind of artillery piece maybe on a mount but if I'm honest Allopexes and Leviadons are pretty much that plus some good melee skills. Others have asked for some heavy infantry but if I want to throw something more durable at my opponent I use Ishlaen Guards. Allopexes would be my choice for a hammer. 

We have supporting heroes for every unit. Sure I could imagine fun models with crabs, octopuses, lobsters, whales etc. But every new unit would need to serve a new purpose or do something considerably better than an old unit (which would get shelved then).

Now that Thralls seem to bee fixed the two issues I would like to see addressed is a way to get a ward at least on some units and some source for mortal wounds other than impact hits on the charge.

28 minutes ago, Cyna said:

Hi. 
I want to start my AOS adventure and I liked Idoneth Deepkins.  From what I read it is a heavily defensive faction and you have to wait until the third round to attack with full power. As I'm new I will build my first army to max 400-700 points. Is it possible to win games with such amount of points by waiting a few rounds or does it only work with armies which have 2000 points and building smaller armies of Idoneth Deepkins makes no sense? 

Hi and welcome.

The third round is (in the current ruleset) a strong point for IDK because all their stuff hits first in the combat phase in both turns. (Or turn two if you reserse the order of the tides.) But it is more that you want your whole army in position to fight in round three and not so much that you don't do anything before that. 

Especially now that victory points were more important than kills you cannot afford not to score in the earlier rounds. You might pick your battles a little more careful to not be tied up in combat with a less important target.

Also I would probably try to get up to 1000 points. At least in my area smaller games are uncommon.

2 hours ago, Siorra said:

Yeah, how 2 sharks are only 10 points less than 2 Stormdrake Guard is a mystery to me. Doesn't stop me from wanting some in my lists though, that net is one of my favourite tools for keeping my units alive.

StOp TeAsInG mE XD I want them now, no matter what they are. NOW, DO YOU HERE ME!? ;D

@DocKeule classic GW App handling 😛

Edited by JackStreicher

14 minutes ago, DocKeule said:

Hi and welcome.

The third round is (in the current ruleset) a strong point for IDK because all their stuff hits first in the combat phase in both turns. (Or turn two if you reserse the order of the tides.) But it is more that you want your whole army in position to fight in round three and not so much that you don't do anything before that. 

Especially now that victory points were more important than kills you cannot afford not to score in the earlier rounds. You might pick your battles a little more careful to not be tied up in combat with a less important target.

Also I would probably try to get up to 1000 points. At least in my area smaller games are uncommon.

In my city I have tournaments for newbies up to 750 points. But I have an impression that with this faction it is hard to win with such a small amount of points. Could you tell me which characters I should buy first? Will the starter box be a good solution to buy something else to start with?

5 minutes ago, Cyna said:

In my city I have tournaments for newbies up to 750 points. first? 

You could start with the starter box, but why not starting with the ne Fury of the Deep box? Both are narmati heavy, which where week in the past. Buts as we expected a new book (new rules, new point values) for Idoneth Deepkin it is hard to judge and to propose a list in the moment.

11 minutes ago, Cyna said:

In my city I have tournaments for newbies up to 750 points. But I have an impression that with this faction it is hard to win with such a small amount of points. Could you tell me which characters I should buy first? Will the starter box be a good solution to buy something else to start with?

I thing IDK could be pretty strong in smaller games when opponents can't bring their huge centerpieces.

Other than that we are expecting a new book soon so it is hard to tell how the meta will shift. If you like the infantry side of Deepkin and know a Fyreslayer player you can split the new "Fury of the Deep" battle box which would bring you up to 575 points for little money.

10 minutes ago, Sonnenspeer said:

You could start with the starter box, but why not starting with the ne Fury of the Deep box? Both are narmati heavy, which where week in the past. Buts as we expected a new book (new rules, new point values) for Idoneth Deepkin it is hard to judge and to propose a list in the moment.

9 minutes ago, DocKeule said:

I thing IDK could be pretty strong in smaller games when opponents can't bring their huge centerpieces.

Other than that we are expecting a new book soon so it is hard to tell how the meta will shift. If you like the infantry side of Deepkin and know a Fyreslayer player you can split the new "Fury of the Deep" battle box which would bring you up to 575 points for little money.

So I guess the best solution is to wait for the new book and then choose which characters to buy.

1 hour ago, DocKeule said:

Yes. Your choice of heroes depends on if you want to go cavalry-heavy (Akhelian) or infantry-heavy (Namarti) because most charakters buff only one kind of unit. 

Okay than Im waiting for new book. Thank you for help. 

3 hours ago, Cyna said:

If sharks get a battleline option I think starting with a small shark-centric force will be a good idea. Namarti are much more appealing with all of the pieces to buff and support them and I'm not sure how effective they will be in smaller engagements with limited resources. Sharks, on the other hand, just do their thing and don't really care about support. So going with sharks for an easy to get on the table starter force could be great, and allow you to add namarti/eels/turtles/heroes as you expand.

1 hour ago, Orbei said:

If sharks get a battleline option I think starting with a small shark-centric force will be a good idea. Namarti are much more appealing with all of the pieces to buff and support them and I'm not sure how effective they will be in smaller engagements with limited resources. Sharks, on the other hand, just do their thing and don't really care about support. So going with sharks for an easy to get on the table starter force could be great, and allow you to add namarti/eels/turtles/heroes as you expand.

Than its okay to make something like this: Akhelian Morrsarr Guard + Akhelian Ishlaen Guard + Akhelian King? 

Than looking for something to add? 

On 1/26/2022 at 2:05 AM, DocKeule said:

I think that is a pretty save bet. GW uses the seasons shake up the meta (aka make us buy more different models). 

Monstrous rampage will very likely stay because that is part of the core rules as is the "monsters count as 5 models". But the grand strategies and battle tactics (+1  victory point when a monster fulfills a tactic) are only GHB and are pretty likely to change.

How can you say that with any certainty, haha. GHB 2021 started doing the seasons this year in Ghur haha.  

1 hour ago, Rhetoric said:

How easy is a head swap on the Thrallmaster?

Should be fairly straightforward as the head is a completely separate piece.

I’d love to put a fleet master head on him, tho I’d like to put a fleet master head on a lot of idoneth minis, I just like the fleet master’s hairdo! 😂

On 1/28/2022 at 8:09 PM, Rhetoric said:

How can you say that with any certainty, haha. GHB 2021 started doing the seasons this year in Ghur haha.  

Well seasons make only sense if there are changes. Plus 40k (where GW is now implanting two seasons a year) is a hint what direction they want to go.