Soulblight Gravelords News, Rumours and Speculation

Neil Arthur Hotep

@Smooth criminal Jesus Dude, tone down the salt. The whole community went through a character arc of optimism all through yesterday, don't drag us back down.

Also, declaring that this is the faction for the next 6 years A.) really underestimates the creativity of players B.) ignores that AOS 3 is right around the corner.

Chill.

2 minutes ago, Liquidsteel said:

The rumour/half confirmation is that you get more CP in 3.0.

Also my understanding is that characters DO get the mutations in Avengorii. They are both Avengorian Vampires and Monsters, so fulfil the keyword criteria.

the mutations specifically state it is for TERRORGHEIST and ZOMBIE DRAGON models. So no, they do not.

9 minutes ago, FeralMulan said:

....I guess? But that only works if that 10" gets you within 6", unlike charging, which you can attempt at any time. Seems a waste of a CP except in very specific circumstances.

Why would you use a CP to run 6" if you don't get in range? The strength lies in the reliability of it. Someone compared them to GG before. Imagine you are 14" from the enemy. With GGs charging you need to move 4 then roll a 10 on the charge. Not likely. Zombies on the other hand can run, and it they don't roll high enough they change the run to a 6", and automatically reach the target. 

Just now, umpac said:

Why would you use a CP to run 6" if you don't get in range? The strength lies in the reliability of it. Someone compared them to GG before. Imagine you are 14" from the enemy. With GGs charging you need to move 4 then roll a 10 on the charge. Not likely. Zombies on the other hand can run, and it they don't roll high enough they change the run to a 6", and automatically reach the target. 

If I am using my pile in just to REACH the target I am unlikely to get enough models within 1" for it to be worth a CP. Pass.

I just don't get why they didn't give to small boy Radukar an ability to transform in Chad Radukar.

Premise: I don't look for the best competitive force.
Looking at cursed city models, trying to make them work, I noticed that Gorslav can bring back even Dire wolves...
A 20 strong pack with Wolf Gramma that can come back to life (well, half of it) does not seem so bad.

Edited by Glaurung
  • Like 1

Just now, FeralMulan said:

If I am using my pile in just to REACH the target I am unlikely to get enough models within 1" for it to be worth a CP. Pass.

You are right that if you JUST get there with the pile in, then yes its not going to be worth it (unless you grab an objective or something similar). If something is 14" away on the other hand you have 2 inches to spare and will easily get good frontage. It also opens up a ton of shenanigans. If you haven't played with 6" pile in units before, I recommend you try them. Its easily the single strongest ability in the game. 

• Thanks 1

What do you guys think of this:

(Kastelei)

Prince V

Radukar 

Belladama

Necromancer

40 Zombies

10 Dire wolves

10 Blood knights 

leftover 260 points and we need a Hero that takes Battle Trait and artifact.

Edited by Erdemo86

14 minutes ago, FeralMulan said:

@Smooth criminal Jesus Dude, tone down the salt. The whole community went through a character arc of optimism all through yesterday, don't drag us back down.

Also, declaring that this is the faction for the next 6 years A.) really underestimates the creativity of players B.) ignores that AOS 3 is right around the corner.

Chill.

Ahahaha this cracked me up. 

It's quite amazing how people keep overlooking the vargheists. They got a decent buff to their scroll and gained a useful battalion...what's not to like? I think they're arguable as good as, if not better, than Blood Knight targets for Kastelai progression buffs. 

EDIT: That's also what makes Kastelai good - the fact that it isn't just Blood Knights and Vampire Lords that progress but all vampires. If you run an all vampire army then some units are bound to keep those buffs. 

Edited by Aren73
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, FeralMulan said:

Zombies are on small bases. So long as you get the front rank into base-to-base then the second rank can also attack if you have them base-to-base with the front rank. That's 2 ranks easily fighting even if you only just reach their base with the 6 inch pile in.

Let's say you have the battalion for +1 attack and van hels up - two very easy buffs, and are 15.9 inches away from a unit of 10-20 guys. You get a lucky run of 6 or use a command to run 6. You are now 5.9 inches away. You pile in 6 and have 2 ranks eligible to fight, assuming it was head on obviously.

That is 40 attacks.

Now they pile in again and get more into range.

That's another 40 attacks MINIMUM with relative ease.

80 attacks with 6s doing a mortal is what like 13-14 mortals average with potential to do much more, and have other buffs etc.

If the enemy unit doesn't have a ward save and is just 1 wound, that's a lot of added zombies.

Edited by Ghoooouls

4 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Grave Guard still have the power of the DOOT so they get to auto-charge 6" at least.

Zombies pile in 6", and can do so from 6" away.  Zombies can move 4", run d6", and if that brings them within 6" they can pile in without charging.  And even without charging, that's still d6" more reliable threat range than dooting grave guard have.

Edited by Sception

4 minutes ago, Ghoooouls said:

Zombies are on small bases. So long as you get the front rank into base-to-base then the second rank can also attack if you have them base-to-base with the front rank. That's 2 ranks easily fighting even if you only just reach their base with the 6 inch pile in.

Let's say you are 15.9 inches away from a unit of 10-20 guys. You get a lucky run of 6 or use a command to run 6. You are now 5.9 inches away. You pile in 6 and have 2 ranks eligible to fight, assuming it was head on obviously.

That is 40 attacks.

Now they pile in again and get more into range.

That's another 40 attacks MINIMUM with relative ease.

80 attacks with 6s doing a mortal is what like 13-14 mortals average with potential to do much more, and have other buffs etc.

If the enemy unit doesn't have a ward save and is just 1 wound, that's a lot of added zombies.

Yeah this assumes that A.) you are just straight up running at each other on an open field B.) No terrain to mess around with C.) enemy has enough models for your lads to pile around D.) enemy doesn't hurt you BAD before second activation

Again, I'm sure it has its uses, but it seems way too specific a situation to actually build around. Could be clutch to reach objectives or something, but I doubt I'll use this trick offensively.

Edited by FeralMulan

A tentative list. Mainly trying to use models I already have:

Allegiance: Vyrkos Dynasty

Leaders
Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon (435)
- General
- Deathlance
- Command Trait: Hunter's Snare
- Artefact: Not yet known
- Lore of the Vampires: Amethystine Pinions
Necromancer (125)
- Lore of the Vampires: Overwhelming Dread or whatever
Vampire Lord (140)
- Lore of the Vampires: Soulpike maybe?

Battleline
30 x Skeleton Warriors (255)
30 x Grave Guard (420)
- Great Wight Blades
10 x Dire Wolves (135)
10 x Dire Wolves (135)

Total: 1900 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 154

---
Filling a Vyrkos list with wizard heroes and Deathrattle to make the most of their allegiance abilities.

VLoZD General to get Hunter's Snare and count for 14 models for capturing. Lance for big charges. Pinions to get where he needs to go. This guy is supposed to be self-sufficient and just run out, kill and capture stuff.

One block of Skeletons gets the Necromancer attached. He can give them Deathless Minions and Vanhel's like usual. Otherwise, he will cast Overwhelming Dread or Fading Vigor or whatever I decide to bring. This guy won't reroll casts because our book is janky, so he need easy to cast spells.

The Vampire Lord moves up with the Grave Guard to give them the +1 to wound, +1 attack and 6+ FNP buffs. Not sure on the lore spell. Maybe Soulpike or Pinions again. He will probably cast Invigorating Aura a lot.

The other Skeleton block and Dire Wolves do whatever. Sit on objectives and screen.

100 points left over for a Corpse Cart, command point, Dire Bats or something else. Taking fewer skeletons or a just 20 Grave Guard might be worth considering, but then I'd have to paint more models.

7 minutes ago, FeralMulan said:

Yeah this assumes that A.) you are just straight up running at each other on an open field B.) No terrain to mess around with C.) enemy has enough models for your lads to pile around D.) enemy doesn't hurt you BAD before second activation

Again, I'm sure it has its uses, but it seems way too specific a situation to actually build around. Could be clutch to reach objectives or something, but I doubt I'll use this trick offensively.

Yea I used that as a sort of 'best case scenario in battle' and 'worst case scenario in terms of distance'. The point is they have a huge threat range, and if your enemy comes within that range they can be great - take my example and then change the distance from 15.9 to 13.9 for example, only 2 inches closer and suddenly its incredibly easy even with scenery etc. A 115 point battleline unit with movement 4 having mortal output threat range of 16 inches is great.

If they get targeted and whittled down beforehand - great - better than targeting our support heroes and heavy hitters, and the zombies can heal themselves anyway and be healed d3 per turn. That's another benefit imo is the enemy can't really just ignore them anymore and they actually pose a threat.

Edited by Ghoooouls

3 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

A tentative list. Mainly trying to use models I already have:

Allegiance: Vyrkos Dynasty

Leaders
Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon (435)
- General
- Deathlance
- Command Trait: Hunter's Snare
- Artefact: Not yet known
- Lore of the Vampires: Amethystine Pinions
Necromancer (125)
- Lore of the Vampires: Overwhelming Dread or whatever
Vampire Lord (140)
- Lore of the Vampires: Soulpike maybe?

Battleline
30 x Grave Guard (420)
- Great Wight Blades
10 x Dire Wolves (135)
10 x Dire Wolves (135)

Total: 1900 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 154

---
Filling a Vyrkos list with wizard heroes and Deathrattle to make the most of their allegiance abilities.

VLoZD General to get Hunter's Snare and count for 14 models for capturing. Lance for big charges. Pinions to get where he needs to go. This guy is supposed to be self-sufficient and just run out, kill and capture stuff.

One block of Skeletons gets the Necromancer attached. He can give them Deathless Minions and Vanhel's like usual. Otherwise, he will cast Overwhelming Dread or Fading Vigor or whatever I decide to bring. This guy won't reroll casts because our book is janky, so he need easy to cast spells.

The Vampire Lord moves up with the Grave Guard to give them the +1 to wound, +1 attack and 6+ FNP buffs. Not sure on the lore spell. Maybe Soulpike or Pinions again. He will probably cast Invigorating Aura a lot.

The other Skeleton block and Dire Wolves do whatever. Sit on objectives and screen.

100 points left over for a Corpse Cart, command point, Dire Bats or something else. Taking fewer skeletons or a just 20 Grave Guard might be worth considering, but then I'd have to paint more models.

Remember vampire lords still have the invocation ability to heal the grave guard, so might mean he doesn't have to cast invigorating aura that much and opens up another spell option.

I think grave guard are going to be pretty damn deadly now, especially in vyrkos.

Vlozd with the wounds count as models for objectives was also top on my list to try out.

31 minutes ago, FeralMulan said:

the mutations specifically state it is for TERRORGHEIST and ZOMBIE DRAGON models. So no, they do not.

Apologies you are correct.

I was mixing it up with the Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon. He has the Zombie Dragon Keyword, and as such I believe he can take a Cursed Mutation.

Just now, Liquidsteel said:

Apologies you are correct.

I was mixing it up with the Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon. He has the Zombie Dragon Keyword, and as such I believe he can take a Cursed Mutation.

I think it is referring to specifically the models rather than Keywords, but I could be wrong. In which case maybe a bit better? I still don't like them.

2 minutes ago, Ghoooouls said:

Remember vampire lords still have the invocation ability to heal the grave guard, so might mean he doesn't have to cast invigorating aura that much and opens up another spell option.

I think grave guard are going to be pretty damn deadly now, especially in vyrkos.

Vlozd with the wounds count as models for objectives was also top on my list to try out.

20 Vyrkos Grave Guard with Great Blades and +1 attack:

Save vyrkos great blades with vamp lord
2+ 24.44
3+ 33.33
4+ 42.22
5+ 51.11
6+ 60

Basically, they touch anything and it dies. You just need to work to get them in range.

• Like 1

Effectively, Grave Guard and not Blood Knights or anything else are our monster hunters. 

They are our answer to Bastiladons (unrendable save) and Leviadons (2+ save). They have rend, high damage and Mortal Wounds. 

The only thing they're missing is speed. 

• LOVE IT! 1

1 minute ago, Aren73 said:

Effectively, Grave Guard and not Blood Knights or anything else are our monster hunters. 

They are our answer to Bastiladons (unrendable save) and Leviadons (2+ save). They have rend, high damage and Mortal Wounds. 

You could still teleport them 9 inch away from Enemy, but a 9 inch charge is hard to get.

Just now, Aren73 said:

If you only need to get them to the front lines, I think deploying them in the grave. You no longer need a hero to bring them out, so they can just pop out and hopefully charge turn 2. They are tanky enough to last one battleround, hopefully.

5 minutes ago, FeralMulan said:

I think it is referring to specifically the models rather than Keywords, but I could be wrong. In which case maybe a bit better? I still don't like them.

I believe bold words are keywords but happy to be proven wrong, I mean it's still not great, but getting a free run and charge one per game or constant casting denial bubble is at least something.

7 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

20 Vyrkos Grave Guard with Great Blades and +1 attack:

Save vyrkos great blades with vamp lord
2+ 24.44
3+ 33.33
4+ 42.22
5+ 51.11
6+ 60

Basically, they touch anything and it dies. You just need to work to get them in range.

Vyrkos artefacts aren't out yet are they? Run and charge bubble could be on-theme.