Command Traits in tournaments - pick or roll?

pforson

Question

Hi,

At a tournament yesterday we were allowed to pick whichever command traits and Artefacts we wanted. Is this usual at a tournament? Or do you usually have to roll?

I'm going to Warlords next and am interested if anyone knows how it will be there.

Thanks!

Pete

8 answers to this question

29 minutes ago, pforson said:

Hi,

At a tournament yesterday we were allowed to pick whichever command traits and Artefacts we wanted. Is this usual at a tournament? Or do you usually have to roll?

I'm going to Warlords next and am interested if anyone knows how it will be there.

Thanks!

Pete

The funky dice roll is added as an alternative way to choose them. The normal way is to pick them yourself. Warlords will be the normal way (unless you want to roll yourself and love the randomness)

Actually kind of surprised by this. As an also 40k player I would've thought the command traits would be treated like warlord traits.

It's cool that most venues are going with the choose your own.

Another cool mix of both would be something I heard discussed on Garagehammer where say for over the course of three games or so you could pick a trait, but couldn't use the same one twice.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The answer lies in list creation. Your command traits and artefacts etc must be written on your army roster. Which for tournaments is submitted before you start your first game.

So you are free to roll for a random trait for your army in the comfort of your own house while list building, but you will only randomly roll at a tournament if they specifically create a house rule.

Yeah, command traits, artefacts, and bonus spell selection probably are best included as part of list writing, and a tournament where you use  the same list for multiple games would likely be best served by treating them so.

You could argue that an alternate way to do it would be to choose all three of the above at the start of each game, rather than having it be part of list writing.  This is a legitimate interpretation, and is probably the actual RAW as the rules only really cover playing a single game and not a series of games.

It would be houseruling to require rolling randomly for any of traits, artefacts, or spells.  it's also houseruling (I think), to require the same ones to be used for every game at an event.  That's fine.  You can add it to measuring to bases.

"This 3-game event will use 2000 points, Matched Play, with the following house rules:  1) Measure to bases not models, 2) All command traits, artefacts, and bonus spells are to be included as part of the submitted army list."

On 8/28/2016 at 6:16 PM, Pandacanderous said:

Another cool mix of both would be something I heard discussed on Garagehammer where say for over the course of three games or so you could pick a trait, but couldn't use the same one twice.

I really like this idea. It allows you to not feel beholden to a lame dice-roll which tends to take away value from the Warlord traits in 40k in my opinion. Creating a situation where other, less obvious traits are chosen for some games add some flavor to things.

Need to double check but I'm pretty sure the GW Warlords event is allowing you to pick at the start of each round. As they roster they provide you with says fill it out during the set up, which is the start of each game.

So far the events I've played at allow you to pick at the start of each game, we are also allowing picking each round at the FaceHammer GT event.

Archived