Help

Vincenzo09

Model selection is ridiculously hard given the difficulty of knowing what they have and what they need without a specific list.

My simple suggestion for both easier to learn AND as reasonably budgeted as the hobby gets - Thematic Dice.  If you can learn even one or two armies they like there’s a good chance you can find some themed dice for them and I’ve found it is a rare thing to have too many dice.  Know I’ve loved the Ogor Mawtribes dice I was given  as a gift for my Birthday and I’ve had good luck as the gifter as well.

There are also a lot of really cool themed or stylized wound counters out there if dice aren’t your thing or you’re looking for a little extra.

Finally, as cheesy as it sounds I’m absolutely loving my official Chaos themed Holiday Sweater.  Way better quality than I expected.

Edited by Beer & Pretzels Gamer

Knowing the specifics of their hobby focus would help in deciding on a gift, but it is also a sometimes opaque thing to understand from the outside. But luckily there are some gift ideas that do not require an understanding of their armies or game systems. 

Expanding on @Beer & Pretzels Gamer's point hobby materials are always appreciated. Some paints, brushes or tools will make for great gifts options. I also think that terrain is a nice gift idea and there are lots of first and third party terrain pieces that can range from costly to cheaper stocking stuffer, depending on your budget. If you have the time (and know how) building a simple terrain piece is a really great way to do something personal... even if it is just simply repainting a cheap Halloween decoration.

No matter the direction you take, best of luck and I hope your friend enjoys their gift.

Edited by Neverchosen

Thanks for your replies. A little digging lead me to know he has started the 40000. Understand, that my friend has a whole room (12' ×12') on display and many more in boxes.  I believe he just started to collect (sorry for my lack of knowledge) trinions? I'd like to try and keep it to a max of $100 or so. Thanks again! Maybe one day ill pick up the hammer.  He keeps inviting me over , but I'm very busy most times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vincenzo09 said:

Thanks for your replies. A little digging lead me to know he has started the 40000. Understand, that my friend has a whole room (12' ×12') on display and many more in boxes.  I believe he just started to collect (sorry for my lack of knowledge) trinions? I'd like to try and keep it to a max of $100 or so. Thanks again! Maybe one day ill pick up the hammer.  He keeps inviting me over , but I'm very busy most times.

That sounds like he may have started to collect Tyranids (they're bug-like looking aliens).  If you can pin down the army he's doing, my suggestion would be one of the Start Collecting boxes (this applies equally to Age of Sigmar or Warhammer 40,000).  Perhaps topped up with some Black Library books.  @Neverchosens suggestion of terrain also isn't a bad one.  There's plenty of it about and you can always use it 😊

• Thanks 1

Personally I find that when a person has an established interest in a specific hobby its very hard to buy them a worthwhile gift for that hobby if you pick the gift yourself. Simply put there are many options and the further into a hobby a person gets the more specific their desires typically become. 

They might want certain models; certain paints; certain brushes etc... And whilst I'm sure they would appreciate the thought and money spent on the gift, if you want to give a gift that they have a high chance of using and enjoying then you've a few options:

1) Money. It's not as interesting and has the risk that it can get used up for other things (esp at present with many local shops shut so many people's hobby buying might well be online only). However you basically can't go wrong.

2) Gift Voucher. It's like money only now they can't spend it on bills or food or other mundane things. Ideally you want to find out what store they mostly buy from, but in general if you got them a GW gift card they can only spend it on a GW model or accessories or such. It's a way to give them a hobby gift, but without making a "bad choice" on your part.

3) Ask them for ideas. There's no shame in this and you don't have to follow "the list". But it can give you some idea of what they would like to receive. If asking you might not state a price range, just ask them in general what they'd like/enjoy. If its all way too expensive then you know that if you gave them a gift card it ca nbe money put toward expensive things; if its all really cheap then you can get several with your budget. 

Asking strangers online wont' work, we can suggest ideas, but they'd be based on our ideas not on your friends full situation. 

• Like 3

Yeah, I'll add my voice to terrain as well. Hobby materials can be good, but they probably know what kinds of brushes they like. Buying paints can be very hit and miss, as they might not need those colours any time soon.

Buying models can be good if you know what they like, and what they already have, but it can be tricky if you get them something which doesn't fit their collection, or which is surplus to requirements.

Terrain though is pretty evergreen. If you know they like 40,000 then you know that they can basically find a use for any modern or sci fi scenery. GW make various kits, as do other companies, so there is a lot of variety to choose from.

If you get them something they already have its not a big deal, as having a second building just means you're that bit closer to having a street, whereas having a second copy of a special character would be harder to make use of. You can basically never have too much scenery and duplicates just add to the possibilities in how you can arrange it.

On 12/16/2020 at 1:44 PM, Overread said:

Personally I find that when a person has an established interest in a specific hobby its very hard to buy them a worthwhile gift for that hobby if you pick the gift yourself. Simply put there are many options and the further into a hobby a person gets the more specific their desires typically become. 

They might want certain models; certain paints; certain brushes etc... And whilst I'm sure they would appreciate the thought and money spent on the gift, if you want to give a gift that they have a high chance of using and enjoying then you've a few options:

1) Money. It's not as interesting and has the risk that it can get used up for other things (esp at present with many local shops shut so many people's hobby buying might well be online only). However you basically can't go wrong.

2) Gift Voucher. It's like money only now they can't spend it on bills or food or other mundane things. Ideally you want to find out what store they mostly buy from, but in general if you got them a GW gift card they can only spend it on a GW model or accessories or such. It's a way to give them a hobby gift, but without making a "bad choice" on your part.

3) Ask them for ideas. There's no shame in this and you don't have to follow "the list". But it can give you some idea of what they would like to receive. If asking you might not state a price range, just ask them in general what they'd like/enjoy. If its all way too expensive then you know that if you gave them a gift card it ca nbe money put toward expensive things; if its all really cheap then you can get several with your budget. 

Asking strangers online wont' work, we can suggest ideas, but they'd be based on our ideas not on your friends full situation. 

This. Just get him a voucher; otherwise it might be a hit or miss present. A voucher will be something they can spend a bit more on what the heck purchases, since it is a present. It is too hard to get the perfect model for someone else.