How much terrain for a table?

I've been getting deeply into Seraphon lately, and while I myself don't have a table, many of my friends do. One of my friends can set up to 3 or 4 tables but as of yet hasn't got enough Terrain to decently cover them all. 

Including Ruins, Trees, scatter terrain, etc about how much terrain would you use per table? 6 large pieces and an assortment of smaller scatter stuff "for flavor" that's mostly for immersion? 

I'm looking at 3D printing Aztec ruins and the like to really get a lost lands of lustria jungle feeling so I can just keep the terrain at his place but I don't want to overprint either since I'm more interested in models and the like. I'm thinking 10 or less quite large pieces and then whatever amount of scatter terrain and calling it a day? 

• Like 2

I've always found 8 good sized pieces of terrain, and then small pieces of scatter (barrels and fences) to be nice and dense on a 6' board, but still provide room for monsters to land.

Traditionally this allows two pieces per outer tile, and then one piece per central tile.

The latest general's handbook has a really good section for placing terrain, including how many pieces they seem to expect.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

So 8 huge Mayan/Aztec/Inca style pyramids and a bunch of smaller ruins and scatter terrain for flavor :P Got it hahaha.

Absolutely brilliant and would do that. 😍

Ooh and make the first tier small the same height. That way you can put them against each other and That first layer would go form a sort off road system. 

doent that sound way better than 3 hills, a forest and a wall on a table? 

• Like 1

Just to elaborate on my view. (Just grabbed the first pictures that came up) 

image.jpeg.d5b2c06af35f379cacbf04f8e8bf5b2b.jpeg

This table for me doesn’t give much tactical challenges. It’s still a rush to a punch up in the middle. 

image.jpeg.14e3afb788914a8422569099cd0d9e2b.jpeg

this however looks way more fun to me. You can create bottlenecks, firing lanes, hide heroes, swamp heroes, and it helps tell the story. This is clearly a jungle with some (arcane) ruins from a destroyed or lost civilisation.  

image.jpeg

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 3

At home I have the Azyrite Ruins, an Awakened Wyld Wood and the Sigmarite Mausoleum and we move them all around and design different sets everytime we play. 

It's surprising how much you can make out of just those few pieces and we've never had the same layout twice. 

20200604_174348.jpg

• Like 2

I love seeing all these tables and terrains. Can’t get enough. I also love playing with a dense terrain setup but not all of our gaming group are particularly fond of it. 

Here is one of the setups I’ve prepared

99CECC17-8822-4391-85C5-2F5B6FB5933C.jpeg

During the game, a Goblin Moon and the Ossiarch phallus were added. The herdstone is just terrain. 

Edited by Myzyrael
  • Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

9 minutes ago, Myzyrael said:

I love seeing all these tables and terrains. Can’t get enough. I also love playing with a dense terrain setup but not all of our gaming group are particularly fond of it. 

Here is one of the setups I’ve prepared

99CECC17-8822-4391-85C5-2F5B6FB5933C.jpeg

During the game, a Goblin Moon and the Ossiarch phallus were added. The herdstone is just terrain. 

That's my kind of table. Tells a story, you can play for more open and more closed spaces of terrain. Especially with the faction terrain down. 

Which is an interesting point as well. How do you design a table  with enough terrain but leave players with a big faction piece a choice where to place it?

In our group we don't have any gloomspite, ossiarch or deepkin players. And no more Sylvaneth either. How do other deal with that?

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

That's my kind of table. Tells a story, you can play for more open and more closed spaces of terrain. Especially with the faction terrain down. 

Which is an interesting point as well. How do you design a table  with enough terrain but leave players with a big faction piece a choice where to place it?

In our group we don't have any gloomspite, ossiarch or deepkin players. And no more Sylvaneth either. How do other deal with that?

When our sylvaneth player is involved, we remove some terrain features to make room for his woods. For the others, we roll off and the winner may point at one terrain piece that may not be moved. Then the other. Then they place the Seraphon and Ossiarch stuff and may move other terrain pieces out of the way. All other faction terrain must fit somewhere open. Some wiggling here and there is allowed :)

8 minutes ago, Myzyrael said:

When our sylvaneth player is involved, we remove some terrain features to make room for his woods. For the others, we roll off and the winner may point at one terrain piece that may not be moved. Then the other. Then they place the Seraphon and Ossiarch stuff and may move other terrain pieces out of the way. All other faction terrain must fit somewhere open. Some wiggling here and there is allowed :)

Smart! We used to do the same for sylvaneth and your solution for the others seems very fair to me. 
Just googled it, and the seraphon is quite big as well. Never realised, even though I want it for my Jungle terrain. 

I always ask do they want a light, normal, or heavy. This would be a light table. EDIT: Light b.c not much los blocking, easy to move on and over terrain, and nothing to large.

Its 8 pieces, all with rules to them. I also try to have a fluffy table, we got realm of death so i did graveyards, a church, and some hills. Medium would just add in a couple pieces without rules, heavy would big 8-10 but with larger objects that help block LoS. 

IMG_20191213_212128155.jpg

Edited by Maddpainting

Yeah, I've downloaded a massive collection of .stl terrain from i-lovecraft.com

https://i-lovecraft.com/product/all-in-one-mesoamerican-sale

As you can see once I get all the interlocking tiles and walls printed out, in addition to the huge pyramids, aqueducts, statues and such it will be a fantastic table. 

There's also an amazing collection of .stl from lustria-online for pyramids from aztec/mayan jungles.

• Like 1

I love a lot of terrain, but people have to be able to place faction terrain like a Gloomtide shipwreck or shrine or something, so unless it's a tournament game allow the opponent to place their stuff as well.

but yea, I love terrain, even if it's in games where it can ****** up the flow. Something awesome about seeing a thematic board that works well for gaming. Generally I play it by ear, making everything equal so no side is completely screwed over, but usually I just make something thematic and go "that looks fun!"

2 hours ago, EccentricCircle said:

1391721703_PortRuin.JPG.773c2f150d17173795da3d46a03163dc.JPGFor an example of too much terrain... I quite enjoy setting up dioramas. Fun as it was to set up though, I accept that it would be impractical to play an actual game of AoS on. Warcry maybe...

But for a skirmish battle... 😍 

how brilliant would a deepkin assault be on this board. 

or nurgle bloated men (what is that new sub faction called?) rising up from the water. 

• Like 2