- cheap leader

- fiend melee

- shooty ogre 

- stormvermin w/shield

- stormvermin w/shield

- clanrat w/ spear

- clanrat w/spear

- packmaster 

There’s a growing wave of people claiming a 45pt leader is a typo so this list might not live long but the options and synergies are interesting. Packmaster will give a shooty ogre some mad bonus power. Fiends and rats will protect the boss and the fiend will hurt things. Thoughts?

37E6750C-719B-4E56-B4EF-790A479A34AA.jpeg

Edited by Groomy

On 2/2/2020 at 12:34 PM, Groomy said:

Found this. So let’s go!

Im thinking:

- cheap leader

- fiend melee

- shooty ogre 

- stormvermin w/shield

- stormvermin w/shield

- clanrat w/ spear

- clanrat w/spear

- packmaster 

There’s a growing wave of people claiming a 45pt leader is a typo so this list might not live long but the options and synergies are interesting. Packmaster will give a shooty ogre some mad bonus power. Fiends and rats will protect the boss and the fiend will hurt things. Thoughts?

37E6750C-719B-4E56-B4EF-790A479A34AA.jpeg

The 45pt leader is absolutely a typo, there's no way they'd make him cheaper than a regular Clanrat.

As far as list writing goes I'm assuming the Clanrat Leader is supposed to be 145pts, if he ends up being less than that then at least I haven't gained any advantage for that.

I think the giant rats deserve a lot of consideration, they're very fragile but 35pts and Move 8 is an excellent combo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Chunk said:

The 45pt leader is absolutely a typo, there's no way they'd make him cheaper than a regular Clanrat.

As far as list writing goes I'm assuming the Clanrat Leader is supposed to be 145pts, if he ends up being less than that then at least I haven't gained any advantage for that.

I think the giant rats deserve a lot of consideration, they're very fragile but 35pts and Move 8 is an excellent combo.

Yeah, that clan rat leader is 100% meant to be 145 points.  Compare it to the Plague Monk Leader at 150 and it makes a lot more sense (though the monk seems a bit better).  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Groomy said:

So what list do you think about making with the leaders being all 100+ points?

have had a few games with:

stormvermin leader 170

stormfiend with grinders 265

rat ogre with warpfire gun 235

Melee rat ogre 225

pack master 65

giant rat. 35

they’re great at kill missions, and have to say the rat ogres are mvps so far. I’m thinking of swapping out the ‘fiend for more bodies though, as finding it harder with objectives.

30 minutes ago, Baron Wastelands said:

have had a few games with:

stormvermin leader 170

stormfiend with grinders 265

rat ogre with warpfire gun 235

Melee rat ogre 225

pack master 65

giant rat. 35

they’re great at kill missions, and have to say the rat ogres are mvps so far. I’m thinking of swapping out the ‘fiend for more bodies though, as finding it harder with objectives.

Aye, six people can find themselves struggling in many scenarios. I don’t think I’ll go over a combination of two fiends, ogres or in between. Kinda want that Skaven swarm feel too

I haven't had a chance to play yet, but the list I'm kicking around to start with looks like this (and running on the assumption that the Clanrat leader is indeed 145 points).

Stormfiend with Warpfire Gun - 265

Clanrat leader -145

Stormvermin without shields x 2 -105 x2 = 210

Clanrat with Spear x5 - 75x5 = 375

I'm thinking of starting it with the Clanrat leader, the two Stormvermin and two Clanrats in the Shield,  the three remaining Clanrats in the Dagger, and the Stormfiend in the hammer.

I think this works, I've read the rules a bunch and cant seem to determine whether you round up or down for the rule about how you "can't have more than half the warband in a single battlegroup". I assume it's rounding up, like the rule about the requirements for the Shield, but I'm unsure. I have nine models total, so "half" is 4.5, and I'm assuming I round that up to 5.

Ideally I'd keep my shield pretty clustered to make use of the great Quad ability, while clanrats run around and the Stormfiend hunts high toughness targets with the Warpfire Gun.

59 minutes ago, Warpedstorm said:

Rat ogres seem the powerhouse for their points

I would agree, they hit really hard, even at range for the warpfire one.

6 hours ago, Zinnar said:

I think this works, I've read the rules a bunch and cant seem to determine whether you round up or down for the rule about how you "can't have more than half the warband in a single battlegroup". I assume it's rounding up, like the rule about the requirements for the Shield, but I'm unsure. I have nine models total, so "half" is 4.5, and I'm assuming I round that up to 5.

I assume the opposite, in that 5 is more than half. So max 4 in an 8 or 9 strong group.

16 hours ago, Baron Wastelands said:

I would agree, they hit really hard, even at range for the warpfire one.

I assume the opposite, in that 5 is more than half. So max 4 in an 8 or 9 strong group.

Hmmm, re-reading it a few more times I think you might be right.

I've been thinking about the list composition, and I wonder if swapping a clanrat out for two giant rats might be a good idea, to play with the strength of numbers a bit.

So something like

Stormfiend -265

Clanrat Leader -145

2x Stormvermin - 105x2

4x Clanrat - 75x 4

2x Giant Rats - 35x2

Total is 990 points, and now I've got 10 models, so I can put 5 models in a single battle group if I want

Shield- Leader, Stormverminx2, Clanrat x2

Dagger - Clanratx2, Giant Rat x2

Hammer - Stormfiend

Of course, my other idea is ten Clanrats, the Stormvermin leader, and two Giant Rats so that I have 13 models as a joke, but I don't know if that is anything other than a meme.

You could also just do 12 Plague Monks and the Plague Monk leader to get to 13 models, and that might be actually decent to be honest, plus this has the advantage of coming from one single box of models, as the Plague Monk kit gives you 20 models...I just don't have any plague monks...yet...

I just pick a number that includes half the fighters. So out of 11, 6 definitely includes half the fighters but 5 doesn't. But no more than half includes exactly half so your'e good :D

The 1/5 plague rats with sticks seem like a serious critfishing threat in numbers. That's before you put artefacts on them. But I wonder about plague leader. What are our thoughts about racial quad? 

• Plague Monk with Stave
  • Plague Monk with Stave
  • Plague Monk with Stave
  • Plague Monk with Stave
  • Plague Monk with Stave
  • Plague Monk with Stave
  • Plague Monk with Stave
  • Plague Monk with Stave
  • Plague Monk with Stave
  • Plague Monk with Stave
  • Plague Monk with Stave
  • Plague Monk with Stave
  • Bringer-of-the-Word

count the 13. your enemy will hate all those 6´s, but even more the digit 2 in the reach profile of the monks weapons. fast and hits like a small nail, a million small nails.

• LOVE IT! 1

9 hours ago, girafarig said:
  • Plague Monk with Stave
  • Plague Monk with Stave
  • Plague Monk with Stave
  • Plague Monk with Stave
  • Plague Monk with Stave
  • Plague Monk with Stave
  • Plague Monk with Stave
  • Plague Monk with Stave
  • Plague Monk with Stave
  • Plague Monk with Stave
  • Plague Monk with Stave
  • Plague Monk with Stave
  • Bringer-of-the-Word

count the 13. your enemy will hate all those 6´s, but even more the digit 2 in the reach profile of the monks weapons. fast and hits like a small nail, a million small nails.

Hahaha! We were JUST discussing it last night that someone was bound to find a way to break things.

This looks almost as extreme as that 14 snake Splintered Fang warband. 

Like I said in my earlier post, if I had the models, the 13-rat Plague Monk unit is probably what I'd run. It's....very strong on paper.

Also, it might be the cheapest warband possible. $35USD gets you 20 plague monks and you're done. Build 12 with staves, add the leader, and you still have 7 more models to fill out all the special attachments and run them as a legitimate unit in regular AoS games as well.

Edited by Zinnar

A shame there aren't suitable leaders for Eshin or Moulder list. I'm thinking maybe the Stormervin boss could represent an Eshin with a naginata or a Packmaster with some kind of monster-prodder.

The Moulder warband is growing on me the more I think about it, I can totally picture the rats roaming the All-Points looking for suitable test subjects. Rat Ogres are powerful, with packmaster also giving them extra attacks, and both the masters and the giant rats have the same damage output than the warriors but are cheaper.

As someone who only tried the game once, what would you say it's the best approach for this? Should I make room for squishy rats and be more "swarmy" or just spending the points on Rat Ogres and packmasters?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jator said:

As someone who only tried the game once, what would you say it's the best approach for this? Should I make room for squishy rats and be more "swarmy" or just spending the points on Rat Ogres and packmasters?

The beauty is you can do both. I have been running a monster mash type list (see above) with great effect in most scenarios, but even just with 2 melee rat ogres and a packmaster, along with a stormvermin leader, you can still take 9 rats to play the objective game with. (That’s thirteen too, if anyone’s counting :) ). And the rat ogres are amazing. 

In fact, my rat ogre with warp fire thrower is so good, I can’t help but think the 40 wounds might be another typo. It’s higher than the stormfiends ...

Not that stormfiends are anything to complain about. In the last game but one, mine just pulled a victory out of nowhere by triple-critting an ogre ironguts leader.

Edited by Baron Wastelands

I'm planning to build this list with old isle of blood models I have on sprue still.  Any good?

4 x Clanrat Rusty Blade and Clanshield

2 x Clanrat Rusty Spear and Clanshield

Packmaster

Rat Ogor Tearing Claws

Stormvermin Rusty Halberd and Clanshield

Leader 

Clanrat Clawleader assuming it costs extra 100 points.

Can make all models but for storm vermin.  For that model going to try and use halberd from warlock and kit bash him.

How would above do?

7 hours ago, Kaughnor said:

I'm planning to build this list with old isle of blood models I have on sprue still.  Any good?

4 x Clanrat Rusty Blade and Clanshield

2 x Clanrat Rusty Spear and Clanshield

Packmaster

Rat Ogor Tearing Claws

Stormvermin Rusty Halberd and Clanshield

Leader 

Clanrat Clawleader assuming it costs extra 100 points.

Can make all models but for storm vermin.  For that model going to try and use halberd from warlock and kit bash him.

How would above do?

Looks solid. My only concern is that you only really have 1 beatstick - do you still have both rat ogors from IoB? In which case I’d be tempted to drop 3 clanrats and replace with a 2nd rat ogor.

I do have both rat ogres.  Actually I've two isle of blood sets lol... I've got 4 in total.  How above above list minus 3 skaven clan rats and a second rat ogre?  

As an aside it kills me that the elf side of osle of blood has been squated.  

Edited by Kaughnor

• 2 weeks later...

Converted my Rat Ogre over the weekend to have a warpfire thrower (but from the Thanquol kit). Did a slight update to his paintjob as well since I painted this guy about 7-8 years ago...

current list

Fangleader - 170

Packmaster - 65

Rat Ogor - 235

(2) Stormvermin Shield - 115 (230)

(2) Spear Clanrat - 75 (150)

(2) Hand-Weapon  Clanrat - 75 (150)

E2D47C8B-8B4D-4FEE-ABFC-2E3ACF32089F.jpeg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Reeve said:

Converted my Rat Ogre over the weekend to have a warpfire thrower (but from the Thanquol kit). Did a slight update to his paintjob as well since I painted this guy about 7-8 years ago...

current list

Fangleader - 170

Packmaster - 65

Rat Ogor - 235

(2) Stormvermin Shield - 115 (230)

(2) Spear Clanrat - 75 (150)

(2) Hand-Weapon  Clanrat - 75 (150)

Nice conversion :)

just curious, are you finding the packmaster worth it on a ranged rat ogor? Because he can’t whip the ranged attack, I’ve paired mine with a melee rogor, which is lethal, and let the ranged rogor roam free. Agree he’s amazing.