AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

3 hours ago, Bayul said:

A Chaos Lord can allocate MW of a failed Spite Tongue Curse to his retinue. If it's Chaos Warriors then they can use their Ward 5+.

It's still a good synergy but I'm fairly sure warriors don't get the MW save when they're allocated wounds via the body guard rule.

15 minutes ago, Rors said:

It's still a good synergy but I'm fairly sure warriors don't get the MW save when they're allocated wounds via the body guard rule.

We have a Body Guard rule in Age of Sigmar? Do you mean this passage from the FAQ?

Q: If a player makes a successful dice roll to negate a wound or mortal wound, and this triggers an effect that forces a wound or mortal wound to be allocated to a different unit (as per, for example, ‘Sworn Protectors’ in Battletome: Fyreslayers or ‘The Armour of Morkar’ in Battletome: Slaves to Darkness), can an attempt be made to negate that additional wound or mortal wound if an effect would allow a player to do so?

A: No. Wounds and mortal wounds allocated in this way cannot be negated. 

I think this refers to reflected mortal wounds by successful Ward saves. The mortal wounds from Warlord's Retinue are freshly allocated to the Chaos Warriors, so it would trigger their Ward save, I would argue. Archeon's The Armour of Morkar in contrast explicitly claims those wounds can not be negated in the new battletome.

59 minutes ago, Rors said:

I'm just going off the rule of thumb being no additional saves for body guards, like with spirit host. Where as with fyreslayers it specifically says they can roll a Ward

I see your point, but now I am even more convinced. Auric Runefather chooses a Retinue aswell and Royal Retinue's wording is identical to Chaos Lord's Warlord's Retinue, just missing the last sentence about the Ward Save. I suppose in this context RAI a ward roll can be made. It set a precedent:

RETINUE: At the start of the first battle round, before determining who has the first turn, you can pick 1 friendly AURIC HEARTHGUARD or HEARTHGUARD BERZERKERS unit on the battlefield that is not another unit’s retinue to be this unit’s retinue. Royal

Retinue: Before you allocate a wound or mortal wound to this unit, or instead of making a ward roll for a wound or mortal wound that would be allocated to this unit, if this unit is within 3" of its retinue, you can roll a dice. On a 1-2, that wound or mortal wound is allocated to this unit as normal. On a 3+, that wound or mortal wound is allocated to this unit’s retinue instead. If the retinue has a ward, you can make a ward roll before allocating that wound or mortal wound to it.

Edited by Bayul
  • Thanks 1

First impression is that a Chaos Lord with a Retinue of Chaos Warriors might make the best option for a GALLETIAN CHAMPION. Might still be vulnerable to spells, but we have access to Arcane Tome and Cabalists. Could be the only season in which one or even two Exalted Heroes could see action.

If GALLETIAN CHAMPION will be a dominating or pivotal tactic next season then S2D will have a massive problem due to its lack of excellent missile units for the GALLETIAN SHARPSHOOTERS battalion. If Tzaangor Skyfires are eligible then I think they could be worth the investment as allies.

Edited by Bayul

3 hours ago, Bayul said:

First impression is that a Chaos Lord with a Retinue of Chaos Warriors might make the best option for a GALLETIAN CHAMPION. Might still be vulnerable to spells, but we have access to Arcane Tome and Cabalists. Could be the only season in which one or even two Exalted Heroes could see action.

If GALLETIAN CHAMPION will be a dominating or pivotal tactic next season then S2D will have a massive problem due to its lack of excellent missile units for the GALLETIAN SHARPSHOOTERS battalion. If Tzaangor Skyfires are eligible then I think they could be worth the investment as allies.

Sky fires have a mount and therefore do not count.

• Thanks 1

Two lists I'm toying with 
Host of the everchosen
Sorc lord (Master of magic/Tome/Speed) Slaanesh
Sorc Lord (Levitate) - might be the candidate for bonus enhancement like teleport or triple CA. Slaanesh
10 Slaanesh Chosen w/ Banner
10 Nurgle Chosen w/ Banner
6 Khorne Varanguard w/ fellspear
1 unit of Cabal
1 unit of Unmade

Other list

Chaos lord Nurgle w/ Idolator Lord (heal) and triple CA.
Sorc lord (tome/speed)
Sorc lord (Levitate)

10 Slaanesh Chosen w/ Banner
10 Nurgle Chosen w/ Banner
6 Khorne Varanguard w/ fellspear

1 unit of Unmade

Both lists fall under Battle Regiment. First list is 1940 so likely to get triumph. Second list is 1975, but I get access to get rid of Invocations, another potential unbind and a sturdier general who can pass wounds off to nurgle chosen and rally them back with a 5+. 

Just thought of a funny way to shut down shooting armies but it’s probably not worth it.

Really techy… launcheon the Soulseeker forward a Tzeentch wizard to get close to an enemy shooting unit, drop prismatic palisade then have another Tzeentch wizard pull them out with the Tzeentch special command ability spell back to safety.

Or similarly give it the special enhancement Tunnel Master to save some points. Or even with Tunnel Master you could drop a Gaunt Summoner down the deepstrike a unit of chosen down with his Silver Tower ability or Varanguard or Knights… but they’d have to be marked Tzeentch. Even so I think we have a lot of out of the box tools if we’re willing to make some sacrifices.

Hmmm would I want a Chaos Lord of Khorne with Hellfire Blade… or perhaps a mid ground between offense and defense with Gryph-Feather Charm for a 5+ ward… or go full tank mode with Ghurish Rage, Gryph-Feather Charm, Cabalist Spells for Flaming Weapon, Nurgle Marked -1 to be wounded in melee Chaos Lord.

Chaos Lord of Khorne with Chaos Warriors as Retinue and Chosen for GC Bodyguards with Hellfire Sword and Leader of the Alpha to drop All Out Attack on Chosen with Khorne Banner, Warriors within range of an Objective and himself.

Then maybe Death Dealer to go full psycho Berserker

Battle-Lust for re-roll charge and run rolls… seems important. Death Dealer for full Berserker Lord. Favored of the Pantheon to try and get some early game juice alongside Chaos Conduit… 2 rolls on EOTG for some early perks like +1 charge, -1 rend or whatever

I think slaves are set to do really well in this edition. With bounty hunters gone but the option to have veterans still around, warriors are going to be amazing. Their ability to be a retinue also helps against sharp shooters.

This could be a great meta for cabalist armies as mentioned.

I suspect that more often being able to draw on power and use a second hero action will be better than the hero phase fighting.

The tzentch spell is waaaaay better in this edition because they're multiple scenarios where pulling a champion across the board is going to earn you VP.

• Like 2

Really close game today. Lost by I think 1. It was either 1 or 2 or debatably I won. Basically at the end of the round my opponent goes “did I even pick a battle tactic?” And I don’t remember if he did or didn’t so he just kind of.. gave himself one… but it’s like whatever I guess. I was too busy thinking about a bunch of other stuff as far as what I was facing. Also I vaguely remember him saying “there’s no battle tactic I can do since I don’t have any GC’s and there’s no objectives” we were playing jaws of gallet. So aside from that 2 points I ended at 16 and he ended between something like 14 or 17. 

It was end of battle round 4. I was ahead all game but he kept deleting my Objective markers, and I was never able to push into his territory to contest. His block of 30 Idoneth Deepkin Thralls were -1 to wound kept getting all out defense and mystic shield and I just didn’t have the fire power (via Knights as usual) to cut through them all. Almost did it twice with Chosen but like 6 kept coming back every battleshock phase so I was screen out hard.

So I slowly lost my 5 points per turn but I got all of my battle tactics. I did not succeed at my Grand Strategy sadly.

My conclusion after 5 games is that I do not like Karkadrak Lord because he always low rolls for me and does maybe 3-5 wounds. Knights consistently don’t kill what they need to and then get tied up and die even as Khorne. I don’t like Knights or Karkadrak. I do love Warriors. I do love Chosen. I’m looking to pivot into Varanguard to replace knights, I’m looking at Dropping daemon Prince.

Believe it or not we love chaos sorcerer lord and we love chaos lord on foot. Fred overstepped his Pile In after purposefully trying to stay outside of my Chaos Chosen fighting range. He attempted to stay outside 3”. Due to his pile in error, after my chaos lord was able to fight his retinue ability kicked in and my Chaos Chosen were able to immediately fight and almost wiped his unit. I got too zealous on fight twice and he pulled models so I couldn’t pile in and fight twice. Between my chaos lord and chosen I killed 24/30

Had a great time with Cabalists tonight first game with them lost by 1 point this time around down to the 5th battle round.

Oh yeah my Daemon Prince died immediately and did nothing all games it was awesome lol.

This is the list I brought:

[b]++ **Pitched Battle GHB 2022** 2,000 (Chaos - Slaves to Darkness) [1,980pts] ++[/b]

[b]+ Core Battalion +[/b]

[b]Core Battalion: Battle Regiment[/b]

[b]Core Battalion: Warlord:[/b] Extra Enhancement: Unique Enhancement

[b]+ Leader +[/b]

[b]Chaos Lord [115pts]:[/b] Battle Regiment - 0-2 Sub-Commander, Mark of Khorne, Reaperblade and Daemonbound Steel

[b]Chaos Lord on Karkadrak [220pts]:[/b] Battle Regiment - 1 Commander, Mark of Khorne

[b]Chaos Sorcerer Lord [120pts]:[/b] Binding Damnation, Chaotic Conduit, Mark of Nurgle, Warlord - 2-4 Sub-Commanders

[b]Chaos Sorcerer Lord [120pts]:[/b] Daemonic Speed, Levitate, Mark of Nurgle, Warlord - 2-4 Sub-Commanders

[b]Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince [195pts]:[/b] Daemonic Axe, General, Mark of Nurgle, Not to be Denied, The Conquerer's Crown, Warlord - 1-2 Commanders, Wings

[b]+ Battleline +[/b]

[b]Chaos Knights [460pts]:[/b] 10 Chaos Knights, Battle Regiment - 2-5 Troops, Ensorcelled Warhammer, Mark of Khorne, Musician, Reinforced, Standard Bearer

[b]Chaos Warriors [440pts]:[/b] 20 Chaos Warriors, Battle Regiment - 2-5 Troops, Hornblower, Mark of Nurgle, Murderous Weapons, Reinforced, Standard Bearer, The Eroding Icon

[b]+ Other +[/b]

[b]Chaos Chosen [240pts]:[/b] 5 Chaos Chosen, Mark of Khorne, The Banner of Rage, Warlord - 1-2 Troops

[b]+ Allegiance +[/b]

[b]Allegiance[/b]
. Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness: Cabalists

[b]+ Game Options +[/b]

[b]Game Type:[/b] 2000 Points - Battlehost

[b]Grand Strategy:[/b] Take What's Theirs

[b]+ Malign Sorcery +[/b]

[b]Endless Spell: Chronomantic Cogs [70pts][/b]

[b]++ Total: [1,980pts] ++[/b]

Created with [url=https://battlescribe.net]BattleScribe[/url]

Ideas for point filling is 20 Darkoath and a Chieftan once I drop Karkadrak and Daemon Prince.

Swapping 10 knights for 5 Varanguard. Still running 2 CSL and 1 CL. 20 warriors. 5 chosen

Yeah off my core of:

2 CSL
1 CL 

20 Warriors
6 Varanguard 
5 Chosen 

I have 385 points to play with.

In my stables I have 10 Knights, 2 Karakadrak Lord, 2 Daemon Prince, 15 Chosen, 20 Darkoath, 1 Darkoath Chieftan, 1 Chaos War Shrine, 2 Fomoroid Crushers and 10 more warriors, and 3 Ogroid Theridons.

Oh and a gaunt summoner on foot from silver tower game

I don’t know what’s competitive out of my leftovers. Obviously 5 more chosen but that leaves me at an awkward 145 points. Maybe grab an Exalted Champion and run the Eightfold Endless spell… but for Cabalists I like Chronomatic Cogs

In lieu of the new GHB I’m thinking of this list now: 

++ **Pitched Battle GHB 2022** 2,000 (Chaos - Slaves to Darkness) [1,980pts] ++

+ Core Battalion +

Core Battalion: Warlord: Extra Enhancement: Unique Enhancement

Slaves to Darkness Core Battalion: Chaos Warband: Unified

+ Leader +

Chaos Lord [115pts]: Battle-lust, General, Hellfire Sword, Mark of Khorne, Reaperblade and Daemonbound Steel, Warlord - 1-2 Commanders

Chaos Sorcerer Lord [120pts]: Daemonic Speed, Levitate, Mark of Nurgle, Warlord - 2-4 Sub-Commanders

Chaos Sorcerer Lord [120pts]: Binding Damnation, Daemonic Speed, Mark of Nurgle, Warlord - 2-4 Sub-Commanders

Darkoath Chieftain [95pts]: Chaos Warband - 1 Leader

+ Battleline +

Chaos Warriors [220pts]: 10 Chaos Warriors, Chaos Warband - 4-8 Other Units, Hornblower, Mark of Nurgle, Murderous Weapons, Standard Bearer, The Eroding Icon

Chaos Warriors [220pts]: 10 Chaos Warriors, Chaos Warband - 4-8 Other Units, Hornblower, Mark of Nurgle, Murderous Weapons, Standard Bearer

Darkoath Savagers [100pts]: 10 Darkoath Savagers, Chaos Warband - 4-8 Other Units

Darkoath Savagers [100pts]: 10 Darkoath Savagers, Chaos Warband - 4-8 Other Units

+ Other +

Chaos Chosen [240pts]: 5 Chaos Chosen, Chaos Warband - 4-8 Other Units, Mark of Khorne, The Banner of Rage

Varanguard [580pts]: 6 Varanguard, 4x Daemonforged Blade, 2x Ensorcelled Weapon, Mark of Khorne, Reinforced, Warlord - 1-2 Troops

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance
. Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness: Cabalists

+ Game Options +

Game Type: 2000 Points - Battlehost

Grand Strategy: Take What's Theirs

+ Malign Sorcery +

Endless Spell: Chronomantic Cogs [70pts]

++ Total: [1,980pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

Edited by Ravinsild
  • Like 1

on AoS Coach's discord, knights have not been performing for people in large amounts. They work well in 5's because you can go slam them into something for damage, but not to really load up on them. 

Varanguard are definitely better knights for what you need. Running the 6 that I do, its definitely going to slam into whatever I need to and will still grind well. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Carnith said:

on AoS Coach's discord, knights have not been performing for people in large amounts. They work well in 5's because you can go slam them into something for damage, but not to really load up on them.

Hej, yesterday i had a game in a 750 Points "Path of Glory" Game and my opponent played 5 knights PLUS Lord on Karadrake. The Lord go very well dmg but the knights not. After this they very totally crushed by my Chaos Lord and 5 Slaneesh Choosen.

Ich would say: Jes they are nice to roll in flanke but for Cracking the HardFrontWall of the other side off the Board, i take Choosen ;)

Hi all, I’m recently testina this list for a big GT in my city at february :

Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness -

Damned Legion: Knights of the Empty Throne -

Grand Strategy: Take What's Theirs -

Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders

- Exalted hero (100)* - Mark of Chaos: nurgle

- Chaos Sorcerer Lord (120)* - General - Command trait: master of magic - Artefact : arcane tome - Spell: Daemonic Speed - Mark of Chaos: Nurgle - Aspect of the Champion : tunnel masters

- Bloodstoker (80)**  Allies

- Bloodstoker (80)**  Allies

Units

- 3 x Varanguard (290)* - Fellspear and Warpsteel Shield - Mark of Chaos: Khorne

- 3 x Varanguard (290)* - Fellspear and Warpsteel Shield - Mark of Chaos:Khorne

- 10 x Chaos knigths (460)* - Champion - Standard bearer - Musican - Mark of chaos : Khorne - The banner of Rage - Cursed lance

- 8 x Iron golem ( 100)** - Dominar - Standard bearer - Ogor Breacher

- 8 x Iron golem ( 100)** - Dominar - Standard bearer - Ogor Breacher

- 10 x Corvus cabal ( 80)**

- 3 x Varanguard (290)* - Fellspear and Warpsteel Shield - Mark of Chaos: Khorne

Core Battalions:

*Battle-regiment

**Battle-regiment

Total: 1990/ 2000

Reinforced Units: 1 / 4

Allies: 160/ 400

Drops: 2

For the moment I have tested ( With the new GH) against Sob (4 mega/1 mancrusher), ogor (4 ironblaster/1 frostlord), lumineth (50 archers) and KO (4 ships). I manage ,more or less,to win them all but i think this list is still room for improvement.

Honestly the exalted hero and corvus cabal didn’t shine like i thought. So i can think to Cut them off for another sorcerer, knights have a great damage output, but I often find myself in the middle of the enemy and get charged. Surely it's me who still doesn't know how to play/move them perfectly. What do you think?

Hitting on 4s is terrible. I have had 5 knights tank 6 scythe hunters so that's probably what they are best at... But it's not really a good use of points. 

There are a lot of good infantry units that are going to show up as Bodyguards and knights are bad against all of them. 

I've been testing slaanesh theridons as my skirmishing unit of choice and it's been good.

4 hours ago, whispersofblood said:

Hitting on 4s is terrible. I have had 5 knights tank 6 scythe hunters so that's probably what they are best at... But it's not really a good use of points. 

There are a lot of good infantry units that are going to show up as Bodyguards and knights are bad against all of them. 

I've been testing slaanesh theridons as my skirmishing unit of choice and it's been good.

Yeah I think that's the biggest problem with MSU knights, you really need to give them something to improve the hit roll and there's only so many buffs to go around. If you can get daemonic power on them they can wreck most things, but that really lends itself to having a single big unit with a banner and then getting other things that don't need buffs like chosen or varanguard.

How many theridons are you using in your lists? I like the models but when I saw their scrolls I was leaning towards chosen instead. It's good to hear they're working out well.

10 hours ago, Grimrock said:

Yeah I think that's the biggest problem with MSU knights, you really need to give them something to improve the hit roll and there's only so many buffs to go around. If you can get daemonic power on them they can wreck most things, but that really lends itself to having a single big unit with a banner and then getting other things that don't need buffs like chosen or varanguard.

How many theridons are you using in your lists? I like the models but when I saw their scrolls I was leaning towards chosen instead. It's good to hear they're working out well.

Just units of 3 at the moment. Cheap enough that if can use them as a screen or trade with them without feeling to bad. 

• Like 1

Had a game against soulblight using the new seasons. Tried the following list:

Cabalists

Follow the Path to Glory

2,000 pts

Indomitable 

Command Entourage for second banner

Chosen and Warriors in GV batallion

Battle reg for the chariots, cabal, and exalted heroes

Sorcerer Lord - General, Master of Magic, Mark of Slaanesh - Daemonic Speed

Sorcerer Lord - Mark of Nurgle - Binding Damnation

Sorcerer Lord - Mark of Undivided - Spite Tongue Curse

Exalted Champion - Undivided, Rune Etched Blade and Runeshield, Helm of the Oppressor

Exalted Champion - Undivided, Rune Etched Blade and Runeshield

Chaos Warriors - Reinforced x1; Mark of Nurgle, Eroding Icon

Chaos Chosen - Reinforced x1; Mark of Slaanesh, Banner of Screaming Flesh

Chaos Chariot - Mark of Slaanesh, Greatblade

Chaos Chariot - Mark of Slaanesh, Greatblade

Corvus Cabal

Spell Portal

Purple Sun

Quicksilver Swords

Played against a regular opponent. Soulblight list went something like this:

Prince Vordrhai

Vampire lord

Wight King General with fragment of the keep and rousing commander

20 zombies

3x5 blood knights

30 grave guard

10 dire wolves

We played the scenario where you can score 2 battle tactics. I won the game after my opponent scooped. I let him go first, and was able to roll +1 speed/charge on the slaanesh chosen. With cabalists, all my buffs were up. turn one, I got the chosen into the 30 Graveguard unit and a unit of 5 blood knights. My chariot rolled 14" on the charge, and dealt 6 mortals to the knights. With double pile in, the ten demonic power'd chosen cleared all 30 grave guard and the remaining blood knights.

They went on to eat 5 more blood knights and prince vordrhai when all was said and done. My exalted champions ran around clipping units, takign objectives, and I didn't score my grand strategy until turn 5. Wonky dice.

The MVP were the slaanesh chosen. With demonic power, there's no need for Khorne in comparison. A close second were the chariots. The mortal output was solid, they are fast and can clip units to prevent getting swamped. It really helps restrict how your opponent can move around the table.

Overall, I was happy with the list, but not the nurgle warriors. They did nothing but march around protecting my heroes. I guess that's their job!

• Like 2

Instead I'm testing this list of Ravagers:

WARLORD:
Daemon Prince
Warqueen
Secrator
Corvus

BATTLE REGIMENT:
Manticore Lord
Sorcerer
20x Splintered
20x Splintered
5x Marauder riders
5x Marauder riders
10x Knights

As soon as I have interesting data, I post them. One thing is certain: being able to spawn destroyed screens in the opponent's turn is very strong.

• Like 2

I ma having a game with my S2D VS Sylvaneth soon (trying to give AoS another chance with the new GHB Rules).
Since I've never played the new ones I am at an disadvantage.
Ist there anything I need to know? (All I know is that he likes Durthu-Oneshot-Teleport-Away-Shenanigans)
What do I need to do to counter him?

I want to try a cavalist list:
2x Chaos Sorcerer Lord,  undivided
1 Chaos Lord on d. Steed, Undivided
10 Chosen, Slaanesh
20 Nurgle marked Warriors with the bannner
5 Knights, Khorne
2x 10 Marauders, Nurgle
3 Theridons with big axes, Undivided
1 Chronomatic cogs

Edited by JackStreicher