AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

15 hours ago, Frowny said:

I'm endlessly disappointed by Yetis. Super cool, fun, neat tricks but ultimately just don't do enough damage to justify themselves. 

3 gluttons will take an objective from an enemy squad of 10 reliably. 3 yetis, even striking first, won't. And their enormous bases and short reach mean you can really only ever use squads of 3 or the extras won't fit, even with their pile in range.

My last game, it was an ogor mirror match. My 3 yetis piled into 12 gluttons that had already fought, killed one. Next turn they activated ahead of the gluttons and killed another. Gluttons fought back and since I got the perfect engage only downed 1 in return. I fought again on my turn and got a 3ed before losing all of them. And that was nearly perfect for them, 3 combats with almost no return attacks due to their sneakiness and they still could barely get their points back. When their best just doesn't do it, it doesn't offset the other games where they just get charged and die.

Yhetees also didn’t get the hungry/eating mechanic, so they aren’t even noticeably faster than Ogors on foot.

I somehow get the feeling that many of the older models, like Maneaters, Gorgers and Yhetees, got deliberately lacking rules. I fear they won’t be replaced, but phased out with future editions. 😬

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Malakithe said:

12-15 units? wow lol i need to play with warscroll builder now

12*80 is 960. So you definitely have enough points left. It does feel exciting doesn’t it. I tried msu but not to that extent. So maybe one day... 

19 hours ago, Magnus The Blue said:

Because Belchers come in units of 2, it's more like 12-15 small units instead of 3 big ones (if your investing that many points) which is a nightmare to deal with and gives much more impact damage and significantly more attacks (because of champions who have 50% more attacks).  Different story with Gluttons who come in min 3 and, so not the same efficiency.  Also different if you playing with single target buffing spells but for this list the small units are great.

You make a good case. And 12-15 little two man units of leadbelchers is exciting...

but for me it keeps falling down in the practically of it. But you did convince me to give it another go if I’m ever in1 day’er or something. It would be a nice challenge to figure it out. 

I call this list Frost Lords with Hordes

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mawtribe: Boulderhead
Mortal Realm: Chamon

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
- General
- Command Trait: Lord of Beasts
- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn
- Artefact: Brand of the Svard
- Mount Trait: Metalcruncher

Battleline
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
- Pairs of Clubs or Blades
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 170

I plan to try it out this friday

• Like 1

I like the hunter and I do a lot of lists using him and Skal. However this list doesnt need extra cp or artifacts. FLoSH artifacts are pretty meh and I have started only taking battallions if I really need them as I prefer just having more wounds and units instead.

Drops don't mean much where I play.

I prefer to go 2nd anyway and if they give me first I can work with that because of my Stonehorns. 

On 9/28/2020 at 1:21 PM, Magnus The Blue said:

My Underguts list that is undefeated at 2k after 12+ games:

Tyrant: General + Trophy Rack

Firebelly + Billowing Ash

Frostlord on Stonehorn, Metal Cruncher + Gnoblar Blast Keg.

4 Ironguts

2 * 4 Lead Belchers

2 * 2 Lead Belchers

4 * Iron Blasters

Tyrant's Gutguard.

As others have mentioned it's not a pure shooting army, but has enough shooting to force people towards you.  Personally I love the Iron Blasters as they are hard to kill, fast, mildly competent in combat and force people towards you. There presence also forces people to take first turn against you rather than out-dropping you they give you a not very productive first turn before potentially double turning you.

Every unit (except the Ironguts) can do damage in Shooting, charge and combat phase separately which means you don't waste much damage output overkilling things. A massive advantage that's easy to underestimate.

The Ironguts are usually the star players as people tend to focus on the Frost Load and Iron-blasters, so the Guts are relatively free to decimate stuff. 

Sounds like a interesting list. It made me think about investing in more Leadbelchers and Ironblasters.

Rushing forward while shooting sounds nice. Now i have to deside if i get myself two more Stonehorns or some more guns...

Has one of you ever tried to spam Mournfangs? I have read somewhere that they are starting to perform at tournaments? Whould you use Thunderbellies?

20 hours ago, Arcce said:

I call this list Frost Lords with Hordes

- Mawtribe: Boulderhead
Mortal Realm: Chamon

Leaders
- General
- Command Trait: Lord of Beasts
- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn
- Artefact: Brand of the Svard
- Mount Trait: Metalcruncher

Battleline
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 170

I plan to try it out this friday

I always love the 'Me Hulk, Me Smash' lists 😂

Mine is, as I like gutbusters the most:

Frostlord
Slaughtermaster
12 Gluttons
12 Leadbelchers
8 Ironguts
Goreman battalion 

• Like 1

I’ve recently been thinking about what my playstyle is, what sort of lists I have the most fun with, and that sort of thing. After a bit of thinking about that and looking over the whole AoS model range, I thought I’d try out Ogor Mawtribes (luckily I have a friend with a rather large collection that I’ve been able to try some things out.

here are the two lists I’ve played so far. I’m interested what people think.
I played the first list vs Stormcast in The Blades Edge. Was a loss but scared my opponent into thinking they’re almost a top tier army 😂
I played the second list vs Ironjawz in Total Commitment. Was a victory, but very much luck based. A lot of the combats didn’t go how either of us expected them to, I rolled really well while my opponent rolled really bad.

Leaders
Tyrant (160)
- General
- Command Trait: Killer Reputation: Deathcheater  
- Artefact: Sky-Titan Scatter Pistols  
- Big Name: Fateseeker
Tyrant (160)
Tyrant (160)
Firebelly (120)
- Lore of the Sun-Eater: Tongues of Flame
Battleline
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
- Clubs or Blades with Iron Fists
6 x Ogor Gluttons (240)
6 x Ogor Gluttons (240)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
Behemoths
Aleguzzler Gargant (160)
Total: 1960 / 2000
Wounds: 171

Leaders
Tyrant (160)
- General
- Command Trait: Killer Reputation: Deathcheater  
- Artefact: Sky-Titan Scatter Pistols  
Tyrant (160)
Tyrant (160)
Battleline
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
4 x Ironguts (220)
4 x Ironguts (220)
Behemoths
Aleguzzler Gargant (160)
Aleguzzler Gargant (160)
Total: 1960 / 2000
Wounds: 160

edit: in both lists, the Gargants are allies but I forgot to tick them as such in warscroll builder

Edited by Joseph Mackay
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Joseph Mackay said:

here are the two lists I’ve played so far. I’m interested what people think.

You are very heavy on tyrants and gargants, which are both questionable to me. Gargants would I avoid all together and only include tyrants if you have "a good reason" for it. Like if you're running big units of gnoblars (or maybe maxed gluttons) then his command ability is quite useful, but on his own he is a litte too swingy on how he performs in combat. (a special case for including a tyrant is in an undergut army with canons for a special combo with an artifact). 

If your friend has butchers/slaughtermasters I would recommend you to try out Bloodgullet as the tribe if you like gluttons. And if the friend have a stonehorn i would also tell you to try that one out as well (because it's a very powerful monster in any list) 

On 9/28/2020 at 5:27 PM, Magnus The Blue said:

Because Belchers come in units of 2, it's more like 12-15 small units instead of 3 big ones (if your investing that many points) which is a nightmare to deal with and gives much more impact damage and significantly more attacks (because of champions who have 50% more attacks). 

A downside with running units of 2 leadbelchers can be that some battleplans favor battleline units, so for that reason would I consider units of 4 belchers instead of 2 for more flexibility for certain battleplans. 😁

7 hours ago, Sauriv said:

You are very heavy on tyrants and gargants, which are both questionable to me. Gargants would I avoid all together and only include tyrants if you have "a good reason" for it. Like if you're running big units of gnoblars (or maybe maxed gluttons) then his command ability is quite useful, but on his own he is a litte too swingy on how he performs in combat. (a special case for including a tyrant is in an undergut army with canons for a special combo with an artifact). 

If your friend has butchers/slaughtermasters I would recommend you to try out Bloodgullet as the tribe if you like gluttons. And if the friend have a stonehorn i would also tell you to try that one out as well (because it's a very powerful monster in any list) 

In the the first game, I found the Gargant pretty fun. He smashed up a couple Evocators, Sequitors and damaged a Knight Incanter before he got killed by the return attacks (and then fell on those units finishing them off), but he did die basically straight away so I took 2 of them in the second game. I was playing around with Gargants mostly as a sort of “preview” for the Sons Of Behemat.

as for the Tyrants, that was down to 2 main reasons. The first was that I like the model whereas I’m not a big fan of the current Butcher or Slaughtmaster, so I was playing around with models I’m most likely to buy first. The second, was that I wanted to basically just run across the table and smash stuff. Not having to worry about being within x range for y buff etc I felt would be more useful for me to ‘figure out’ the army. Of all the (non Beastclaw) heroes, the Tyrant seemed the most designed to purely smash stuff. The Firebelly was included for mostly the same reasons (I like the model), but I didn’t use him correctly and as such found him not that great so he was the first thing I dropped for the second list (the problems I had with him was I held him back babysitting the Mawpot so that he’d get the +1 to cast and being able to use its ability. Unfortunately all his spells were close range damage dealers so he really wanted to be charging up the board with the rest of the army)

1 hour ago, Joseph Mackay said:

In the the first game, I found the Gargant pretty fun. He smashed up a couple Evocators, Sequitors and damaged a Knight Incanter before he got killed by the return attacks (and then fell on those units finishing them off), but he did die basically straight away so I took 2 of them in the second game. I was playing around with Gargants mostly as a sort of “preview” for the Sons Of Behemat.

as for the Tyrants, that was down to 2 main reasons. The first was that I like the model whereas I’m not a big fan of the current Butcher or Slaughtmaster, so I was playing around with models I’m most likely to buy first. The second, was that I wanted to basically just run across the table and smash stuff. Not having to worry about being within x range for y buff etc I felt would be more useful for me to ‘figure out’ the army. Of all the (non Beastclaw) heroes, the Tyrant seemed the most designed to purely smash stuff. The Firebelly was included for mostly the same reasons (I like the model), but I didn’t use him correctly and as such found him not that great so he was the first thing I dropped for the second list (the problems I had with him was I held him back babysitting the Mawpot so that he’d get the +1 to cast and being able to use its ability. Unfortunately all his spells were close range damage dealers so he really wanted to be charging up the board with the rest of the army)

@Sauriv is right. But it’s the ‘competitive’  answer.  

luckily our mawtribes are versatile enough that you can almost pick whatever you want and still compete in a friendly setting.  

so my two cents would be: seeing how you talk about it, I would advice to go for whatever you end up painting. If you really struggle with big models like me. Skip the stonehorn, even if it’s really good. and vice versa. 

regaeding the list I would personally join those two glutton units together. Not only do you save 80 points, but you get trampling charge mortal wounds on a 4+. For me one of the most fun abilities in the whole book. Same goes for 2x4 leadbelchers.

I personally don’t like the giants because they are too cool looking for what they achieve. I’m keeping my eye out for the Mega Gargants coming soon. 

give a hunter with sabretusks a try as well. Adds the most ‘tricks’ to our bag. 

have fun! 

Oh and ironguts! They are crazy. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Archibald said:

Sounds like a interesting list. It made me think about investing in more Leadbelchers and Ironblasters.

Rushing forward while shooting sounds nice. Now i have to deside if i get myself two more Stonehorns or some more guns...

Has one of you ever tried to spam Mournfangs? I have read somewhere that they are starting to perform at tournaments? Whould you use Thunderbellies?

I've used the Eurlbad with 2x4 Mournfangs vs Gitz heavy Gloomspite.  1 unit cleaned up a unit of 40 that didn't have a Loonboss, and another unit got stabbed by a unit of 40 backed by a Loonboss.  Mournfangs are pretty awesome, especially so in the Eurlbad.  I think one could fit that w 3x4 Mournfangs, the SHBR and HoSH, plus a FLoSH in 2K.  No wizardry but meh, who cares, Mournfangs can do MWs on 6s when attacking AND saving.

Thunderbellies could be good though but I feel one would be needing a HoTT to get the 3+ Keening Gale prayer to really make them fast.  I don't remember being impressed with that Mawtribe other than Mournfang speed, and they are so much better with Eurlbad which has that Stonehorn 'tax'....which I gladly pay :D

• Like 1

Anyone try Maneaters in massed numbers at all?  Not sure if they'd be worth the points, but they seem pretty solid on paper, kinda like a meld of Leadbelcher and Irongut who could run and charge.  But the kitbash modeling for them could be super fun!  And they get hungry and trample and are OGORS so they can be buffed by about everything.

2 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I've used the Eurlbad with 2x4 Mournfangs vs Gitz heavy Gloomspite.  1 unit cleaned up a unit of 40 that didn't have a Loonboss, and another unit got stabbed by a unit of 40 backed by a Loonboss.  Mournfangs are pretty awesome, especially so in the Eurlbad.  I think one could fit that w 3x4 Mournfangs, the SHBR and HoSH, plus a FLoSH in 2K.  No wizardry but meh, who cares, Mournfangs can do MWs on 6s when attacking AND saving.

Thunderbellies could be good though but I feel one would be needing a HoTT to get the 3+ Keening Gale prayer to really make them fast.  I don't remember being impressed with that Mawtribe other than Mournfang speed, and they are so much better with Eurlbad which has that Stonehorn 'tax'....which I gladly pay :D

Thanks for the reply.;)

My next purchases will be two Stonehorns so i can field an Eurlbad on 1k5 points. MW on exploding 6s is so awesome. I got a taste of it with my FEC Flayer list, but ogors also have the trampling charge. Pure awesomeness!

I am still torn between buying just two Stonehorns or two SC-boxes. I don't really need more Mournfangs right now and it already gets kind cramped in here. So available space is an argument.🙈

10 minutes ago, Archibald said:

Thanks for the reply.;)

My next purchases will be two Stonehorns so i can field an Eurlbad on 1k5 points. MW on exploding 6s is so awesome. I got a taste of it with my FEC Flayer list, but ogors also have the trampling charge. Pure awesomeness!

I am still torn between buying just two Stonehorns or two SC-boxes. I don't really need more Mournfangs right now and it already gets kind cramped in here. So available space is an argument.🙈

Always get SC boxes even if you dont build the mournfang for ages or sell them off. The value is too good to pass up and if you ever wanna run a ton of MF you can. 

I got my boxes from a store that gave an additional 15% off and it made BCR by far the cheapest army I have ever had.... then i got gutbusters too 😅

Edited by Arcce

7 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Ugh yeah, transport carrier space is tough with Beastclaws in general for me, in addition to the storage.   Maybe a big kitty litter tub or two with foam inserts is the right answer?

At least all my Beasts of Chaos fit into a tool box!  

I think big box, metal playing in the bottom, couple of magnets on the base is the best way to deal with big models. 
Foam will just take of the tail and other small bits. 

3 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Anyone try Maneaters in massed numbers at all?  Not sure if they'd be worth the points, but they seem pretty solid on paper, kinda like a meld of Leadbelcher and Irongut who could run and charge.  But the kitbash modeling for them could be super fun!  And they get hungry and trample and are OGORS so they can be buffed by about everything.

I only tried them a couple of games at the beginning. Before the book they were my ‘linebackers’ the run and charge + decent shooting attacks meant they were pretty quick to respond. 
but never in big units. 

in the end I just dropped them, which is such a shame. They function as unit champions for me now.

love to hear if anybody gets them to work. I have several conversions I want to do for them 😅

have you seen the conversion by GW’s peach on Twitter? 

Would you recommend spaming endless spells in a Bloodgullet list? I have 80 points left and don't want to use it on 2x2 cats.

It sounds more fun to cast a lot of endless spells. Balewind is set i guess. So 40p to play with.

The jaws and Maelstorm? Or do you have another good idea?

If they are not worth it, i will just field my newly painted Gorger.😅

15 minutes ago, Kramer said:

I think big box, metal playing in the bottom, couple of magnets on the base is the best way to deal with big models. 
Foam will just take of the tail and other small bits. 

I only tried them a couple of games at the beginning. Before the book they were my ‘linebackers’ the run and charge + decent shooting attacks meant they were pretty quick to respond. 
but never in big units. 

in the end I just dropped them, which is such a shame. They function as unit champions for me now.

love to hear if anybody gets them to work. I have several conversions I want to do for them 😅

have you seen the conversion by GW’s peach on Twitter? 

I have seen Peach's conversions and they are f***ing awesome. I have 4 unbuild ogors and was already thinking about creating Peach inspired Maneaters.

But i also would like to have more Leadbelchers. I guess gameplaywise that would be the better idea.😄 If i go that route i will have to get creative because i just have the gluttons And not the Leadbelcher sprue. Greenstuff is my friend.😅

3 minutes ago, Archibald said:

But i also would like to have more Leadbelchers. I guess gameplaywise that would be the better idea.😄 If i go that route i will have to get creative because i just have the gluttons And not the Leadbelcher sprue. Greenstuff is my friend

Ehmm.... what about gun toting Maneaters conversions that can function as leadbelcher champions? 
but then you’d want to convert all your leadbelchers....

well no other solution to buy more models ;) 

12 hours ago, Zorki said:

The Gorgers can be drop on an objective when we finish our first movement phase ?

Yes it's totally fine to capture objectives this way! One thing to note though is that "set up" is not a "move" and some battleplans requires your unit to "finish a move" onto the objective. 

I'm not sure if this will affect the gorger because the battleplans i had in mind wants battlelines or leaders to "move" up to the objective. 

• Thanks 1