Starting Underworlds query

Absolution black

Ok, so I'm thinking of getting into Underworlds.

Can someone tell me if the universal cards from season one (in the core and warbands sets)were repeated in season two? 

Or are they all totally different cards?

I'm confused and can't find an answer anywhere!

I am wondering whether I can just buy Night vault and the season 2 warbands or will I have to track down the season 1 sets too!

All the universal season 1 cards have been phased out. The universal cards in core box sets are pretty much the same in all three season. If you want to play casually buy one starter set (nightvault or beastgrave) and the warbands of your liking. If you want to play competitively you should probably aim toward getting all season 2 and season 3 warbands.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Absolution black said:

Ok, so I'm thinking of getting into Underworlds.

Can someone tell me if the universal cards from season one (in the core and warbands sets)were repeated in season two? 

Or are they all totally different cards?

I'm confused and can't find an answer anywhere!

I am wondering whether I can just buy Night vault and the season 2 warbands or will I have to track down the season 1 sets too!

There were some cards from season 1 that were duplicated in Season 2. Basic cards like Hold Objective 1, Confusion, Great Strength, etc. These were only in the Core Set, however, all Universals that came with Warbands were unique. 

Season 1 Universals are rotating out of Championship play, which is the "official" competitive mode. There are still modes of play for using Season 1 cards, but they will not be as popular, likely.

However, Season 1 Warbands will still be playable, so if you want to play as Skaven, Skeletons, Fyreslayers, etc, you can purchase those and still use the fighters and their Faction-specific cards. This is personal preference, however, as there are (as of writing this) no Warbands that are OP, and you should play to your preference more than anything.

On 9/19/2019 at 7:47 PM, Absolution black said:

Unless you are particularly keen on any season 1 warband, or the briar queen or cursebreakers, i'd recommend buying beastgrave and power unbound as the best starting set of universals

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Kugane said:

Does anyone know if previous season boards are still allowed?

yes. the ONLY thing rotated out is the universal cards from the shadespire core set, shadespire warband expansions and leaders pack.

Any card duplicated in Nightvault or Beastgrave (supremacy, hold objective x etc.) is also valid to use.

This is ONLY in the Championship and Alliance formats. Relic format events also allow Shadespire universals. It remains to be seen how many Relic events will be run in the competitive scene.

Edited by riddlesworth
  • Thanks 1

Shattered City was a Shadespire “add-on” board and has been disallowed for Championship play.

Forbidden Chambers was respectively the Nightvault one, and is current for at least this season of Championship play. I expect that next season that’ll it be disallowed.

If you play casually at all then both boards are worth it, otherwise just pick up Forbidden Chambers if you aim to go down the competitive route.

Edited by Circus of Paint
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

So I can use all the tokens and other accessories from Shadespire, just no universal cards correct? I bought a NIB Shadespire and Nightvault recently... feels slightly bad now but hopefully my buddies will chip in to split stuff.

The number of Universals you can't use from the Shadespire core set is actually pretty small, I think it's only like 5. If you go to https://www.underworldsdb.com/ and filter based on that you'll see which exact 5. 

It's the universals in Shadespire Warband expansions that took the biggest hit 

Edited by smartazjb0y
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

So I can use all the tokens and other accessories from Shadespire, just no universal cards correct? I bought a NIB Shadespire and Nightvault recently... feels slightly bad now but hopefully my buddies will chip in to split stuff.

Correct.

I think the only other thing you’ll need are a pair of extra lethal hex tokens (could proxy the Shardfall tokens as those) and some generic counters for individual fighter abilities (Ritual, Horn, etc...)

GW does a specific pack for the latter, although glass beads or any other distinct tokens you have will do!

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

So in casual play, all cards are still fine, this is how I’d be playing anyway so not too much of a problem.

But who’s at a disadvantage if I bring all my S1 decks against someone with S3 stuff. Am I overpowered, or is that not why they removed them?

I basically have the chance to get the cards from all of S1’s warbands and starter, with all the warbands except Farstriders (Cards included though), for a great price to get into Underworlds. I’m not really spending in the hobby as trying to make space and money (for family life etc) but it would be a good deal and I would like to try the game out..