Foldable Wargaming Table

Hey everyone, 

So I am interested into buying a wargaming table so I can play AoS at home whenever needed. It definitely has to be foldable so I ll be saving space whenever not playing.

I know that there are some out there but can’t recall the names of the companies. 

I would love your suggestions / feedback for a table that works well without spending too much money on it. 

Thanks a bunch !

I've been looking around a lot for a nice foldable wargaming table, and the main problem (for me) is finding something that is about 3 feet high - I don't know about you guys, but I always play standing up, and my back would kill me if I were to bow down to a normal table height for 2-3 hours. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sharkbelly said:

I have a couple of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Office-Star-Multipurpose-Rectangle-Folding/dp/B0015TUXT8

They are a little expensive, but store very well and are handy for lots of other things.

I don't know why the table you linked is more than double the normal price for those, but here's the same thing for cheaper: https://www.amazon.com/Cosco-Deluxe-Molded-Folding-Speckle/dp/B001D25TJQ/ref=pd_sbs_196_6/137-4024037-5192112?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001D25TJQ&pd_rd_r=04d0201b-a69f-11e9-8e75-13ade7751b04&pd_rd_w=uBIvH&pd_rd_wg=htEOs&pf_rd_p=588939de-d3f8-42f1-a3d8-d556eae5797d&pf_rd_r=HNVGWHEY8FMHPC7PNS54&psc=1&refRID=HNVGWHEY8FMHPC7PNS54

I also use 2 of them and got em on special for like $40 each, they work well and give you a little room on each side for graveyard/dice/etc.

• Like 1

Sounds like original poster got what they were looking for, but I recently had this issue in my apartment needing a super easy playing surface I could carry around between myself and my friends apartments and was also looking for a SUPER cheap, super light weight/portable option.  Found the solution of using insulation boards with duct tape hinges somewhere online (can't remember where or I'd link to it to give the person credit) and honestly its pretty amazing.   You can either get one of those pink 4x8 insulation boards for ~$20 and cut it yourself into 2x4 sections, or if you are lazy like me and want to do absolutely 0 work, there are pre-cut 2x4 boards as well, which at least around me were $10 more for 5 sections, which allowed me 2 extra to also make a 4x4 board for smaller games.

Either way once you have the 3 pieces you can just create hinges with duct tape by putting 3 strips cross wise, followed by a strip lengthwise across both sides of the "hinge", then doing it again in the reverse direction on the third piece.  Its surprisingly durable, extremely light weight and portable, and all you have to do is throw it on top of any small table you have lying around your house/apartment, and put a gaming mat on top to retain game aesthetics.  And vwala a $20-30 "foldable gaming table", your SO will not kill you for taking up too much storage space in your small apartment, while also being able to very easily transport in my tiny and already cluttered car.

EDIT: Found the source I stole this idea from: https://creativetwilight.com/diy-wargaming-table-terrain/
Personally though, I think buying a real gaming mat for another $30 to put on top of the board, is probably worth it, then the solution they came up with, which personally I am not a huge fan of, aesthetically.

Edited by tripchimeras
  • Like 1

If you are not too fussed about it literally folding, then some of Ikea's tables with ****** on legs can be quite good. I have four tables which usually go flat under my bed, with the legs beside them. Then they ****** on in about two minutes, to create a fully stable gaming surface of whatever size you have room for. Maybe a little more bulky to store than some options, but much less so that many of the folding tables i've seen.

• Like 1

I have two of these foldable tables for my own use, but because they aren't the exact same manufacturer, they don't really line up so there's a crack in between.  I also had an issue with one not laying out too flat initially either, and had to apply books onto the center to get it to flatten.

Ironic tidbit: These tabletops are so popular at LGS and for card games like Magic, this is probably why GW designed Kill Team to be played in a 22"x30" area.

On 7/15/2019 at 11:16 AM, tripchimeras said:

EDIT: Found the source I stole this idea from: https://creativetwilight.com/diy-wargaming-table-terrain/
Personally though, I think buying a real gaming mat for another $30 to put on top of the board, is probably worth it, then the solution they came up with, which personally I am not a huge fan of, aesthetically.

The way his table is set up where the board lays across a smaller table freaks me out. All it takes is someone putting their body weight down and the whole setup comes crashing down. 

If you have a queen sized bed, you can place your board on top of it. (P.S. People who sleep on the bed may not approve of you leaving  your game out on it)

Edited by Fairbanks
Grammer

Bed might work pretty well, or a big coffee table if you don't mind sitting on floor.  I actually have found it pretty sturdy so far for what it is though, and I just put it on a kitchen table usually, though while my table is a bit thinner then his, it is longer which probably helps with stability.  Only thing I have to worry about is a cat realizing it is a terrible place to sit, and thus deciding it is, in fact, the perfect place to sit; needless to say they are usually banned from the area while its in use, though cats are always a model's dire enemy so this isn't unique to the insulation game board.  Even putting all of my books and gaming materials on the edge doesn't unbalance it.  I think its really just small animals who enjoy destruction and feast on human misery, and forgetful elbow leaning during drunk hammer sessions that you have to watch out for haha.

Overall its worked pretty well for me, you do have to be a little more careful then with the more expensive solutions but for a $20-$30 option at least in apartment living where you have a SO to keep happy, I think it is honestly one of the best solution.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, EccentricCircle said:

If you are not too fussed about it literally folding, then some of Ikea's tables with ****** on legs can be quite good. I have four tables which usually go flat under my bed, with the legs beside them. Then they ****** on in about two minutes, to create a fully stable gaming surface of whatever size you have room for. Maybe a little more bulky to store than some options, but much less so that many of the folding tables i've seen.

Wow, the profanity filter really doesn't like DIY does it?

I of course meant to say that the legs attach by means of a spiral thread, which one rotates within a similarly threaded slot!

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

Wow, the profanity filter really doesn't like DIY does it?

I of course meant to say that the legs attach by means of a spiral thread, which one rotates within a similarly threaded slot! 

Hey, go attach yourself via means of a spiral thread rotating within a similarly threaded slot, buddy!

Ikea tables are pretty good, although they're heavy and not being able to fold down means they can be difficult to transport. Not bad for the home though, since you can hide it behind other furniture or in a cupboard pretty easily. Nice and sturdy.

• LOVE IT! 1

24 minutes ago, Dreadmund said:

Hey, go attach yourself via means of a spiral thread rotating within a similarly threaded slot, buddy!

Ikea tables are pretty good, although they're heavy and not being able to fold down means they can be difficult to transport. Not bad for the home though, since you can hide it behind other furniture or in a cupboard pretty easily. Nice and sturdy.

Yeah, they are a bit heavy. I don't need to move them from place to place, but if you want something easy to transport then its not the best idea.