The Rumour Thread

39 minutes ago, Hollow said:

Yeah.... I'm talking about humans that worship Gork/Mork. A new human/mortal concept for the Destruction grand alliance that I think would make sense thematically, would be an interesting space for miniature design and create diversity in faction offerings for different Grand Alliances. Of course there are some factions with some thematic similarities already within Destruction. That's kind of the point, it would fit with the Grand Alliance and could be allied with any of the existing Destruction factions and wouldn't look out of place. 

Is there really that much creative design space for humans considering all the ones we have from both AoS and TOW and that they don't have to overlap each other? I don't think so.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Dragon-knight77 said:

Mummies are in the banned category liek others have put it due to the fact that Tomb kings are in TOW 

But there still

• Frankenstein monster & flesh golem-esq monsters 
  • Deathless (A sort f@#$-up immortal who can't die despite wanting to)
  • Possessed object type like living armor or Gargoyles

The return of Vampirates

image.png.0c191aba1a2699214e8f0cb8478b4c5a.png

Not forgotten btw they got a name drop in DB5

Wouldn’t be surprised to see the Wraithfleet as the next Soulblight update to fit the Realm of Fire focus.

Easy Varkos hero release with a unit of flying horrors to match his theme of being a terror at sea and the skies(battling Kharadron and raiding their sky-ports as he does in their tomes)

They could even recycle the Deepkin terrain design files into new ghost ships or even haunted ship wreck terrain that teleports thanks to the AoS4 rules hinting at terrain that moves and attacks.(if not the Kastelai crimson keep) 

3 hours ago, EonChao said:

I have to assume Warcry will fix them in a year or two

That’s gotta be the plan. No way they looked at those apes and said still good.

With how long it took to get Warcry Kruleboyz  it probably is gonna be the middle of their next edition tho.

In other random news the Darkoath are proving an epic painting opportunity and are proving very popular for what you can do with a bunch of Conans willing to face down demigods.

and if you fight for the other side of the Mallus coin then check out Knotley’s paint advice as always(he’s done Darkoath already too)

And in some surprising turns Destruction & Trogg fever is at an all time high.(also Ironjawz Maw-Krushas, I see like a dozen new posts weekly on them)

And finally Narrative tournaments have been kicking things off for a bang in AoS3 

and another coming soon!

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Is there really that much creative design space for humans considering all the ones we have from both AoS and TOW and that they don't have to overlap each other? I don't think so.

Billions of humans, thousands of cultures, hundreds of countries, countless Empires, Kingdoms and cultures from across the entirety of human history to pull from? There is so much design space. What do you mean? 

I think it would be good for faction diversity if there were smaller sub-factions (with a range of 4/5 kits like the Darkoath release) which could be used in Spearhead as a singular force or as an allied Battalion that could be added to existing Grand Alliance factions. 

This is all complete wishlisting... maybe I'll make a Wishlist thread for this kind of thing. Off the top of my head, I would love to see a new animated series along the lines of The Legend of Vox Machina where a band of plucky adventurers travel through the realms and encounter all kinds of weird and wonderful "Mortal Kingdoms" in new regions of the realms previously not explored.

Ghyran - Aztec/Mayan/Amazonian-inspired hidden civilisations in Ghyran in a NEW lush Jungle continent North of the Everspring Swathe across the Sea of Elemental Truth. They could worship the Pantheon of Old One Gods and have a dynamic relationship with the Seraphon. 

Aqshy - To the east of the Great Parch across the Ocean of Tears lay the great descendants of Grand Cathay. Chinese-inspired, fire dragon worshipping (Dracothian in different forms) expansive kingdoms that often fight with as much as against other Order factions. 

Shyish - Mortal, Nagash worshipping Mortal cultures taking influences from various death-aware cultures. From Greek, Norse and Celts. You could go full pagan with great death totems reaching far into the black Shyish skies. 

I could go on and on.... but you get the point. The idea that there is no "design space" left in a setting as vast and varied as the Mortal realms is mad!  

Edited by Hollow
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Hollow said:

Billions of humans, thousands of cultures, hundreds of countries, countless Empires, Kingdoms and cultures from across the entirety of human history to pull from? There is so much design space. What do you mean? 

I think it would be good for faction diversity if there were smaller sub-factions (with a range of 4/5 kits like the Darkoath release) which could be used in Spearhead as a singular force or as an allied Battalion that could be added to existing Grand Alliance factions. 

This is all complete wishlisting... maybe I'll make a Wishlist thread for this kind of thing. Off the top of my head, I would love to see a new animated series along the lines of The Legend of Vox Machina where a band of plucky adventurers travel through the realms and encounter all kinds of weird and wonderful "Mortal Kingdoms" in new regions of the realms previously not explored.

Ghyran - Aztec/Mayan/Amazonian-inspired hidden civilisations in Ghyran in a NEW lush Jungle continent North of the Everspring Swathe across the Sea of Elemental Truth. They could worship the Pantheon of Old One Gods and have a dynamic relationship with the Seraphon. 

Aqshy - To the east of the Great Parch across the Ocean of Tears lay the great descendants of Grand Cathay. Chinese-inspired, fire dragon worshipping (Dracothian in different forms) expansive kingdoms that often fight with as much as against other Order factions. 

Shyish - Mortal, Nagash worshipping Mortal cultures taking influences from various death-aware cultures. From Greek, Norse and Celts. You could go full pagan with great death totems reaching far into the black Shyish skies. 

I could go on and on.... but you get the point. The idea that there is no "design space" left in a setting as vast and varied as the Mortal realms is mad!  

I agree with you completely, and this is a great example of why I loved the older "soup" style army for cities: you could pretty much make whaever you want and find warscrolls to support it

Have we seen the leader for the Stormcast half of the new edition box yet? or is that coming later? Loved the art-deco vibe on some of the older stormcast heroes, and im considering grabbing a couple favs while it's still feasible

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hollow said:

My point is that we don't have to overlap only with the Mortal Realms designs, but also with the TOW and this Aqshyan example you gave us is the perfect case. If Cathay gets released for TOW (which seems very likely IMO), this would make this Chinese-like aesthetic impossible for AoS. If we have this in mind there's not that much room for human variations in AoS.

5 minutes ago, Pizzaprez said:

I agree with you completely, and this is a great example of why I loved the older "soup" style army for cities: you could pretty much make whaever you want and find warscrolls to support it

Have we seen the leader for the Stormcast half of the new edition box yet? or is that coming later? Loved the art-deco vibe on some of the older stormcast heroes, and im considering grabbing a couple favs while it's still feasible

The leader is pending for the preview.

4 minutes ago, Pizzaprez said:

i think one of the things that made Cities of Sigmar soup feel so appealing for me was that it wasn't just two incongruous armies put together, but there was such a massive variety of stuff to pull from that it really felt like a "do what you want, just put it on the right base size" army.  that's not saying other armies can't do that of course, but it captured the feeling of the massive diversity you'd get across the cities of the realms.

i doubt it'll happen, but i'd love for there to be a non-Sigmar Order human faction at some point.  not just Bretonnians, of course, they could really be anything, i'd just like the insight into the "good" humans that don't worship the golden throne.  maybe they could be a merchant group like that of the floating city in Aqshy; anything that isn't more "all humans are either Sigmar or Chaos".

2 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

I've been into Warhammer for about 20 years and today is the first time I've ever heard the og ogre design is supposed to be Cossacks

Wasn't kislev the cossack faction? I think their scouts were even called cossacks. Maybe op is getting mixed up with them.

10 minutes ago, bethebee said:

a non-Sigmar Order human faction

It's been a bit explicit that there are non-Sigmar Cities, so I'd love to see at least rules/fluff for a neutral CO"S" in a tome! The fact that COS have an entire Pantheon that extends past human gods is already a huge step up.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

Wasn't kislev the cossack faction? I think their scouts were even called cossacks. Maybe op is getting mixed up with them.

oh hey i forgot about that! and to make it even more annoying that subfaction of Kislev is called......... Ungols.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

If Cathay gets released for TOW (which seems very likely IMO), this would make this Chinese-like aesthetic impossible for AoS

So go for Japan, Siam, Myanmar, Indian, Khmer, Asia has so many amazing cultures. Reducing "China" to a single "Chinese aesthetic" is also very..... erm, well, let's just say China has hundreds of different aesthetics from 5000 years of history! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Dragon-knight77 said:

The return of Vampirates

image.png.0c191aba1a2699214e8f0cb8478b4c5a.png

Really like all those options. Will add that wrathfleet or wider "Drownbane sealords" (or whatever) could be one of those more cosmopolitan factions like Legions of Nagash used to be:

- vampirates

- pirates ot the Caribbean Black Pearl skele-zombies

- pirates ot the Caribbean Flying Dutch man mutant zombies

- more traditional Ghost ships

- voodoo bayou paddleboats

- and so on

Edited by DoctorPerils

10 minutes ago, DoctorPerils said:

Really like all those options. Will add that wrathfleet or wider "Drownbane sealords" (or whatever) could be one of those more cosmopolitan factions like Legions of Nagash used to be:

- vampirates

- pirates ot the Caribbean Black Pearl skele-zombies

- pirates ot the Caribbean Flying Dutch man mutant zombies

- more traditional Ghost ships

- voodoo bayou paddleboats

- and so on

I'd love to see vampire pirates but NH already have a ghost boat so idk if that's too much crossover

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hollow said:

So go for Japan, Siam, Myanmar, Indian, Khmer, Asia has so many amazing cultures. Reducing "China" to a single "Chinese aesthetic" is also very..... erm, well, let's just say China has hundreds of different aesthetics from 5000 years of history! 

I agree with you there. But how would you approach it so that when someone sees them doesn't think they are from Cathay? That's the problem and where the limitations are, IMO.

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

Lovely work! Now paint another 120 of them.

(I started gnawing on my brushes after six of them)

Haha, too true!

I always imagine that’s one of the reasons GW keep trying to push down how many models AoS needs(now with only singular reinforced units) so they can keep piling on the model details on even fodder without people driving themselves into a rubber room trying to make a intended medium-force into a horde army. 😂

40 minutes ago, Hollow said:

Also remember a AoS cornerstone is mixing cultures together like the Edassian warriors within Aqshy are a mix of Africa & European aesthetics or the newish Jade Obelisks are Mayan-Chinese, with that just being the human examples.

If they want they can take any two cultures and roll them together like Australian-Inuits hunters for Ghur’s Arctics or Russian-Egyptians embalmed-cairnwolf cultists for an Shyish Nulahmia underworld a Vyrkos empire established in.

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

I agree with you there. But how would you approach it so that when someone sees them doesn't think they are from Cathay? That's the problem and where the limitations are, IMO.

cathay goes heavy on the dragons so just a move away from that would be a good start. Although I'll be honest I don't think we're seeing Cathay anytime soon for TOW

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Luperci said:

I'd love to see vampire pirates but NH already have a ghost boat so idk if that's too much crossover

True. They might have to update it like Cursed Skies in the Aqshy areas were trapping the souls of those ghost ships that flew too near due to their ethereal nature so the wraith fleet upgraded to wood & iron ships carried by zombie dragons/terrorgheists*(with some even have animated wings stitched to the hulls) to fly.

*would be cool to see if it’s the living ones that one warhammer+ vampire model teased with a baby version. Healthier alive ones used to move their heavier undead constructs.

13 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Because they would look completely different, have different lore, be a part of a different game and setting and not be Cathay? Or they could be? The idea that there can't be any kind of Asian-inspired mortal factions in AoS because ToW might get Cathay at some point is very... limiting.

That's like saying that you can't have multiple European cultural influences across multiple factions as people would think they are all from the same faction. 

You can play with culture and biology. The mortals could have 2 sets of arms, or tails... the possibilities are endless! Anyways... back to rumours. 

(Just waiting now to read a 4Chan rumour post talking about upcoming mortal factions based on Asian cultures lol) 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Hollow said:

Because they would look completely different, have different lore, be a part of a different game and setting and not be Cathay? Or they could be? The idea that there can't be any kind of Asian-inspired mortal factions in AoS because ToW might get Cathay at some point is very... limiting.

That's like saying that you can't have multiple European cultural influences across multiple factions as people would think they are all from the same faction. 

You can play with culture and biology. The mortals could have 2 sets of arms, or tails... the possibilities are endless! Anyways... back to rumours. 

(Just waiting now to read a 4Chan rumour post talking about upcoming mortal factions based on Asian cultures lol) 

It is limiting indeed, but sadly that's how I think GW approach their ranges. Especially now with all this supposed studios inner war.

7 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

It is limiting indeed, but sadly that's how I think GW approach their ranges. Especially now with all this supposed studios inner war.

But it isn't. You seem to be insisting that "Asian" = 1 type of Chinese aesthetic and that's it. Who would have thought there would be more than a dozen different esoteric Chaos mortal factions explored through WarCry when AoS first released?

Also, the idea that studios are "at war" is just inflamed clickbait nonsense. 

• Like 2