The Rumour Thread

7 hours ago, MitGas said:

I think a Fatemaster is also somewhat  likely after the Nurgle Herald, Valkia seems most unlikely to me. I'd put more faith into a plastic Khorne Lord on Juggernaut.

That's a point, plus the on foot Slaanesh Viceleader is still resin if I remember correctly, so that might be what gets updated.

Still will have my fingers crossed for Valkia getting the SIgvald treatment though!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

Wait WHAT ? I had never seen that rumour before ! That's big if true ! Covid throwing a wrench in GW's plans is plausible though. We know it happened for some 40k minis (thinking about the new Castellan Crowe). Maybe those 2 new FS units are the same one Whitefang refered to with his like ? 

You're right. 40k lore channels have been popping up like crazy recently. We need the same to happen to AoS.

Idoneth 2nd battletome was released in march 2022, so those rumours are probably false. If there were to be 3 new units for Idoneth they would have been in the second version of their battletome which was released around those rumours.  Covid was a nightmare for logistics, which have delayed almost all GW releases, but to say it caused 3 new unit entries to be scrapped. No, unbelievable.

As Fyreslayer and Idoneth received new Battletomes in 2022, the best we can hope for is 1-2 characters and maybe if we are extreme lucky a new unit either through the campaign books or Warcry / Underworlds, but no way they will get 2 - 3 new units without a proper battletome release. Hopefully after AoS 4th edition, both armies will receive a big second wave.

45 minutes ago, cofaxest said:

It would be cool to have 3 maneaters vs 3 doomseekers warcry box. 3 elite ogor mercs vs 3 elite slayers with option to take both as min 3 unit in big AoS.

I'm hoping for something more original than that. We really don't need more Doomseekers, there already is a hero. A unit (or two) in a Warcry warband would fix a ton of what the army is lacking.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Grungnisson said:

Read into it what you will...

image.jpeg.40cec3a95c0a4e64b4a1437e278f633c.jpeg

I'm choosing to read into this by setting my expectations unreasonably high then being disappointed when they inevitably are not met. LETS GOOOOOO SONS (AND DAUGHTERS) OF GRIMNIR

On a serious note, I can't wait to see what the future holds. If the armies that need it are get an actual substantial update or are reinvented and brought to AoS standards, I could be extremely excited for a future of battletome + small release for every edition for every faction.

Edited by Snarff
  • LOVE IT! 1

7 minutes ago, Hollow said:

Proper combined Duardin book containing all different kinds of dwarfs? 

After they've spent all this time diversifying them? Please no.

Give Dispossessed their update with the next CoS wave, give Grungi a mixed Duardin/Gholemkind army, but leave FS and KO to be the unique and distinct cultures they are. In lore, the Duardin unification is failing. Duardin are not World-That-Was Dwarfs, and trying to make them that would be an enormous mistake.

Edited by Snarff
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Snarff said:

After they've spent all this time diversifying them? Please no.

Give Dispossessed their update with the next CoS wave, give Grungi a mixed Duardin/Gholemkind army, but leave FS and KO to be the unique and distinct cultures they are. In lore, the Duardin unification is failing. Duardin are not World-That-Was Dwarfs, and trying to make them that would be an enormous mistake.

I actually like the idea of Duardin soup as something that should exist in the rules and setting but not be its own battletome.because I think they should all automatically bow to Grungi and follow him, but because Duardin are the most practical of the races. Grungi should have his own faction of Duardin/Gholemkin, and some of the Dispossessed should follow him too. But the Fyreslayers and KO? They both portrayed as more mercenary than some of the other Order factions. They won't follow Grungi as a God but they will negotiate with him as a Duardin. Have them keep their own books and then just include rules in the back of the Grungi battletome that lets you soup them in similar to how CoS does.

• Like 2

I just don't see the benefit of having 3 different types of dwarf factions that are split between three books and take months/years for GW to give proper attention (if ever) to. What is the benefit of splitting them up into different releases? (apart from charging £32.50 per book) You could easily have a Duardin Book that explored the different Duardin factions, allowing you to build a "mono-faction" or a combined Duardin force. I want to see lots of new units for Dispossed, KO and FS. I just don't see the benefit to customers, players, the game, the company or the setting, having them split up like this. The Battletomes are super slim. Give me a huge Duardin release and a 400 page combined Duardin book exploring all the different Duardin factions (big and small) 

• Confused 6

34 minutes ago, Hollow said:

Proper combined Duardin book containing all different kinds of dwarfs? 

That would still be a battletome with a disproportional amount of foot heroes 😄

But on a serious note, it's possibele if you look at Orruk warclans, still Kharadron and fyreslayers merged together feels a bit ackward.

I wouldn't mind to see those beautiful dwarves that are now merged with CoS, be used as a base for a new dwarf battletome, heavly armoured, but also with cataphract like dwarf cavalry.

Edited by Tonhel

Just popping in very late- I thought all the AoS models looked dynamite in the reveal stream. The Nurgle lord looks amazing[might get him just to paint]and although I'm not wild about Fyreslayers and I know they need new units I thought that character model is just fantastic.

The upcoming campaign looks very interesting, I'm looking forward to seeing what updates the factions get. Hoping for some Kurnothi wildness bursting to life. 

Also still waiting on a new Grombrindal model and some new dispossessed but I'm not holding my breath and the suggestion FS get new units is very welcome for my flame haired  dwarf brothers. 

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, RileyArlic said:

Things are much less linear in AoS than they are in 40k.

In 40k, you can follow the timeline pretty succinctly, but in AoS it's better to follow a particular character or faction to see how they're doing or where they're going. The other thing is there aren't enough novels out for AoS just yet...

More comparisons:

• Asoiaf: 5 narrative books (until Mr. Martin finishes the other two). That's all you need to know to play and understand the game.
  • Conquest: 1 book to explain all the lore, and everything else on the webside. Even the live campaign (narrative driven by the games that people play and vote).
  • Malifaux: 6 (faction) Books that explain all the story. There are off-shots like RPG and stuff like that, but if you play Malifaux, you don't need to know anything of them. There are two campaign books that explain the ongoing story for ALL armies (and they are already explained in the 6 main books). If you play one faction, you only need to read your faction book to understand most of the setting.
  • Warhammer Fantasy: Each army book have maps, heraldy, a timeline and most of them are intertwined so even if you only collect dark elves, you will probably know all the basics for other armies.
  • Horus Heresy: A black library book line. Btw, you don't need to read all books to understand your legions. Campaign books are deep-dive lore books than completely new narrative ones.

Take in mind that Malifaux and Conquest have ongoing narratives based on strange and weird settings (Conquest has decaying and mechanical/artificial gods, and Malifaux has... a Teddy Bear).

18 hours ago, Hollow said:

I just don't see the benefit of having 3 different types of dwarf factions that are split between three books and take months/years for GW to give proper attention (if ever) to. What is the benefit of splitting them up into different releases? (apart from charging £32.50 per book) You could easily have a Duardin Book that explored the different Duardin factions, allowing you to build a "mono-faction" or a combined Duardin force. I want to see lots of new units for Dispossed, KO and FS. I just don't see the benefit to customers, players, the game, the company or the setting, having them split up like this. The Battletomes are super slim. Give me a huge Duardin release and a 400 page combined Duardin book exploring all the different Duardin factions (big and small) 

Why? They are so diferent that it's like saying that you want to merge Lumineth, Khainites, Sylvaneth and Idoneth in the same tome. Or Slaves, Beasts, Nurgle/Khorne/Tzeentch/Slaanesh in the same "Chaos Armies!

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Hollow said:

Warclans and Cities of Sigmar kind of proved the opposite is true when you combine factions. All factions lose identity, lore and rules in the process. The benefit of splitting them up is allowing them to be their own unique thing and stand on their own rather than forced to be designed around being part of an army they don't fit into. And at this rate, if you want to combine them just because they're Duardin, there's many more combinations that need to be made based on species. Combine Lumineth and Daughters of Khaine because they're both Aelves. Why not finish the circle and combine Darkoath and Freeguild since they're both human?

I really hate the double standard that multiple Duardin books are a bad thing because then it's not a 'pRoPeR dWaRf BoOk' when at the same time there's many more Aelf or Chaos follower books out there which for some reason are fine. They should all remain their own thing too, so why not Duardin?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, EonChao said:

I actually like the idea of Duardin soup as something that should exist in the rules and setting but not be its own battletome.because I think they should all automatically bow to Grungi and follow him, but because Duardin are the most practical of the races. Grungi should have his own faction of Duardin/Gholemkin, and some of the Dispossessed should follow him too. But the Fyreslayers and KO? They both portrayed as more mercenary than some of the other Order factions. They won't follow Grungi as a God but they will negotiate with him as a Duardin. Have them keep their own books and then just include rules in the back of the Grungi battletome that lets you soup them in similar to how CoS does.

That's completely fine, as long as KO and FS are not balanced around the overarching Duardin army. Stormkeep rules and Legion of the First Prince worked fine, and they were not the focus of balance. There are already options to take some other Duardin reinforcements in the battletomes too, but they're not the focus of said tomes (as it should be).

Something like having FS melee or KO shooting nerfed because they're making Dispossessed too strong would be absolutely horrible though.

Edited by Snarff

10 minutes ago, Beliman said:

More comparisons:

• Asoiaf: 5 narrative books (until Mr. Martin finishis the other two). That's all you need to know to play and understand the game.
  • Conquest: 1 book to explain all the lore, and everything else on the webside. Even the live campaign (narrative driven by the games that people play and vote).
  • Malifaux: 6 (faction) Books that explain all the story. There are off-shots like RPG and stuff like that, but if you play Malifaux, you don't need to know anything of them. There are two campaign books that explain the ongoing story for ALL armies (and they are already explained in the 6 main books). If you play one faction, you only need to read your faction book to understand most of the setting.
  • Warhammer Fantasy: Each army book have maps, heraldy, a timeline and most of them are intertwined so even if you only collect dark elves, you will probably know all the basics for other armies.
  • Horus Heresy: A black library book line. Btw, you don't need to read all books to understand your legions. Campaign books are deep-dice books than completely new ones.

Take in mind that Malifaux and Conquest have ongoing narratives based on strange and weird settings (Conquest has decaying and mechanical/artificial gods, and Malifaux has... a Teddy Bear).

I really like that AoS is so wide though. I think the edition-specific narratives are developing a core series of events that's becoming more and more easy to follow (Realmgate Wars > Malign Potents/Soul Wars > Broken Realms/Era of the Beast > Dawnbringers/???). At the same time, there's a lot more to the setting than only the large narrative events and big cities, and it would be a shame if everything outside of main narrative events did not impact the lore.

• Like 3

Some seem to think that advocating for a Huge 400+ page book of new and additional material for Duardin factions is somehow wishing for their identity to be scrubbed. I personally think pumping out low-effort 90-page battle tomes with a handful of units doesn't do the factions or the world-building any favors whatsoever. I also think that GW is digging a bit of a hole for itself in regard to the sheer amount of printed content they are putting out. I love printed content, I just think that many of the Battletomes/Codexs are very low-effort cash grabs which I don't think is good for the game.

Edited by Hollow
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Snarff said:

I really like that AoS is so wide though. I think the edition-specific narratives are developing a core series of events that's becoming more and more easy to follow (Realmgate Wars > Malign Potents/Soul Wars > Broken Realms/Era of the Beast > Dawnbringers/???)

I like that. It's the same thing that Malifaux and Conquest are using too. What I find a bit difficult is to follow some armies (or subfactions) that don't have a big impact on this campaigns, and you need to follow other medias to understand what's going on.

1 minute ago, Beliman said:

I like that. It's the same thing that Malifaux and Conquest are using too. What I find a bit difficult is to follow some armies (or subfactions) that don't have a big impact on this campaigns, and you need to follow other medias to understand what's going on.

That is definitely a problem yeah. Grimnir's upcoming return (though he's not ready quite yet) offhandedly being mentioned by Grungi in a White Dwarf short story is a crime. Important faction-specific lore events should really be present or summarized in Battletomes.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Hollow said:

I just think that many of the Battletomes/Codexs are very low-effort cash grabs which I don't think is good for the game.

Don't get me wrong, I have the same feeling.

But I want my beloved Kharadron Overlords to have a unique and awesome Battletome, with lot's of concepts arts, maps, timelines, all side-characters from Black library (and a brief explanation of their adventures), a bit of heraldy, other (minor) skyports and/or stories about them (with paintjobs!), maybe an Anvil of Apotheosis too, photoshots of terrain sets or something that let you try to build some kharadron tables, etc... and being part of a soup battletome is not one of them.

Btw, if people want soup-armies, there are campaigns with rules that let you mix armies (Lethis, Wrath of the Everchosen, Firestorm) maybe Dawnbringers will have something like that.

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Goatforce said:

That's a point, plus the on foot Slaanesh Viceleader is still resin if I remember correctly, so that might be what gets updated.

Still will have my fingers crossed for Valkia getting the SIgvald treatment though!

Yeah, sure why not - I'd rather see Arbaal than Valkia though if they bring an old hero back as it could be a dual kit.

I figure they will give the more complete Chaos forces heroes with these books and they won't get anything outside of them while Beastmen, CD and Skaven all have chances for proper big releases with multiple kits in the future (deservedly so of course). I just hope the other Chaos releases will be half as good as the Nurglite Harbinger.

Currently, there are 21 3rd Edition Battletomes. (With Cities, Seraphon and FEC on the way) That means a total of 24 Battletomes. What do people hope will happen for 4th edition? That we will see the introduction of yet more Battletomes? How many is too many? Just keep adding more and more? Keep pumping out copy-and-paste books in small batch runs? Even the limited edition Ossiarch Bonereapers book is still available and those print runs must be tiny.

I personally think that after 7/8 years of amazing growth and quality management, GW is in danger of slipping into a post-7-year slump that so many companies fall into. (New management drives growth and expansion and then becomes complacent and runs out of ideas, which I am starting to feel is happening at GW) 

When I think about the 30-odd-month release schedule for AoS 4th edition. I'm not exactly inspired when I think that nearly each of those months will see essentially a reprint of a battle tome with a model or two. 

Edited by Hollow
  • Like 7
  • Confused 1

If you are a casual player and prefer the painting side of the hobby, it's almost impossible to be up to date with the AoS fluff. A lot is spread over various battletomes, campaign books and etc.. and it's also very costly. 😉

I have the feeling if you are not a die hard fan of AoS fluff, it's almost impossible to keep track of what is happening.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Hollow said:

Currently, there are 21 3rd Edition Battletomes. (With Cities, Seraphon and FEC on the way) That means a total of 25 Battletomes. What do people hope will happen for 4th edition? That we will see the introduction of yet more Battletomes? How many is too many? Just keep adding more and more? Keep pumping out copy-and-paste books in small batch runs? Even the limited edition Ossiarch Bonereapers book is still available and those print runs must be tiny.

I personally think that after 7/8 years of amazing growth and quality management, GW is in danger of slipping into a post-7-year slump that so many companies fall into. (New management drives growth and expansion and then becomes complacent and runs out of ideas, which I am starting to feel is happening at GW) 

When I think about the 30-odd-month release schedule for AoS 4th edition. I'm not exactly inspired when I think that nearly each of those months will see essentially a reprint of a battle tome with a model or two. 

Completely agree. GW should do something with that. Time will tell
(JUST MERGE ALL AELVES IN THE SAME TOME MUAHAHAHAH)

• Like 2