AoS 2 - Hedonites of Slaanesh Discussion

HERO

So I’m trying to see if I can’t adapt to the new points and keep my Keeper + Twins core. Would love people’s thoughts on this:

Leaders-

Keeper of Secrets (Speed-chaser) [Amulet of 5+ FnP] 420

Synessa 260

Dexcessa 280

Infernal Enrapturess 140

Battleline-

11x Blissbarb Archers (180)

5x Hellstriders(Hellscourge) 135

5x Hellstriders(Hellscourge) 135

Other:

Symbaresh Twinsouls 340

Spells: Mesmerising Mirror 80

Total: 1970 points

Some options I can see are replacing the Keeper with an Exalted Bladebringer and Lord of Pain/shardspeaker then maybe turning one of the Hellstriders into Slickblades or Blissbarb archers

• Like 2

So , as I work toward having a legal list again, I am building for the first time some hellstriders and discover that the kit gives you the option for a banner bearer or an icon bear while the rules let you have both. How do you work around this knowing that bits store are a thing of the past where I live and I m not very good at conversions but I can do some simple ones. Any idea?

47 minutes ago, azdimy said:

So , as I work toward having a legal list again, I am building for the first time some hellstriders and discover that the kit gives you the option for a banner bearer or an icon bear while the rules let you have both. How do you work around this knowing that bits store are a thing of the past where I live and I m not very good at conversions but I can do some simple ones. Any idea?

Convert using Seeker bits. That’s what I did. You get multiple arms, just might need a touch of green stuff. Might be more doable if you use any Twinsouls bits too (to cross from Hellstriders to Seeker banner arm. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, azdimy said:

My Hellstriders are all converted, but the older Slaanesh kits give you a decent number of spare bits (Daemonettes, Chariots, Seekers) I just used leftover bits glued to the backs of my icon bearers.

11 hours ago, Gibs said:

How does Sigvald look in 3.0 and how would you build a list with him?

He's looking good (I mean, of course he looks good!).

3rd we got an additional source for +1 armour save (assuming you run Lurid Haze). With Dexcessa we have access to another close combat blender and both have different toolbox to deal with different targets. Going back to +1 CAs though, having easy access to a 2+ save with a 4+ ward really makes him quite durable and with the heroic action 'finest hour' he's rocking that 2+ without CA and hits/wounds on 2+/2+. If your opponent has an annoying unit with a ward save he's ideal for cutting it to pieces. Heal helps a lot too.

As for the kind of list, you're unlikely design a list around him since he's more of a cruise missile. Set him up, smash into the enemy and hopefully what was standing there now isn't (or is horrifically wounded). With a +3 to charge distances he really is a reliable beat stick too and his fight-first ability means you can get creative with activations. Just be mindful of where you charge him in as he can find himself get isolated and picked off.

So for me, he's equally at home in elite infantry lists or cavalry/monster lists relying on speed. There's plenty of lists which include him if you scroll through pages further back.

• Like 1

I’d say Sigvald shows up more often in a Lurid Haze than any other model. Dex might start to catch up, since they’re a monster and cost only a little more. Of course, my thought is best summed up by that gif of the kid saying “why not both? 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gibs said:

How does Sigvald look in 3.0 and how would you build a list with him?

To add on to what @pnkdth and @TimeToWaste85 have said, Sigvald is really nice and only benefits from AoS 3. He gets heroic actions so can heal and get a +1 to wound (very nice on him), he can much more easily get +1 to save through Mystic shield, with his ward save he has effectively 12 wounds but counts as a subcommander for easy battalions, one of the new artefacts that give a ward save is totally negated by him, and Lurid Haze remains so you can catapult him up the board.

He's (fittingly) a one man army who can cut up most heroes and tank their hits in return. 

The one nerf he has received (which is more of a nerf by proxy) is that the KoS is considerably more expensive so it's harder to combo the two together. It's not the end of the world, but the strike twice on a charge was brutal. 

I think he has more of a place in our army in AoS 3 than he did in AoS 2. 

Dexcessa is in a similar boat but the actually work nicely together imo. 

So i was on discord talking with another Slaanesh player, and wrote out my slaanesh collection. 

80-100 Daemonettes

30 something seekers

15 hellstriders with claws

3 exalted chariots (1 broken in half with missing seekers )

10 slicks

22 blissbarbs

5 myrmadesh

2 unbuilt boxes of myrm or sym

6 fiends

Heroes

Exalted heralds (this was included in the troop section)

2-3 heralds

Masque

Sigvald

Lord of pain

Shardspeaker

2 keepers

Contorted epitome

2 enrapturess

Daemon prince of slaanesh (so bad) (just let it get the hedonite keyword and its managable)

Syll’Esske

My plan is to at least probably add Dexcessa since Synessa stonks are a bit of a low (though mortals as a charge reaction is quite nice)

I may eventually add Glutos, but I wanna remove glutos and place someone else there. 

• Like 4

Had a few other ideas for lists, kind of similar to the ones before. They're likely not good, but they're more proof of concept lists - there to see what works and what doesn't work, but not really expected to be a fully functioning list.

List 1 - Big Hero 4

Invaders Host

Glutos (475 points) - Battle Rapture

(General) Keeper of Secrets (420 points) - Amulet of Destiny, Skintaker, Flaming Weapon

Keeper of Secrets (420 points) - Born of Damnation

(General) Dexcessa (280 points)

Hellstriders with whips × 3 (135 each)

1980/2000

List 2 - Archaon

Godseekers host

(General) Archaon - Born of Damnation (don't think he can take generic spells) (830pts)

Glutos - Dark Delusions (475pts)

Dexcessa (280pts)

Hellstriders ×3 (135pts each)

1970/2000

List 3 - Trying to Make Pretenders Work

Pretenders Host

(General) Keeper of Secrets (the monster hunter) - Strongest Alone, Hunter of Godbeasts, Sliverslash (claws), Flaming Weapon (420pts)

Contorted Epitome - Levitate (255pts), Sceptre of Domination

Dexcessa (280pts) 

Lord of Pain (155pts)

5×Painbringers (160pts)

5×Painbringers (160pts)

10× Twinsouls (370pts)

Gemnids (80pts)

Wheels of Excruciation (100pts)

Warlord Battalion 

1980/2000

---

None of these lists will likely work on their own, but they're designed to give me a feel of each unit - see what works well and what doesn't so I can get a better idea of how a more complete list would look. 

I'm especially keen to try out the Pretenders list. Another variation would have a second keeper instead of Dex and a LoP (swap battleline with Hellstriders and stick in a Shardspeaker too). The Second KoS may have the Amulet of Destiny, but I do want to try out the Sceptre first.

Your Pretenders list won't work as you have no battleline without making the Lord of Pain your general. 

I've got a couple of lists I want to try in upcoming games torn over which to use first though! 

Invaders

Shardspeaker - General (Master of Magic), Rod of Misrule, Ghost Mist, Dark Delusions

Syll'Esske - General, Flaming Weapon, Born of Damnation

Glutos - Judgement of Excess, Levitate

11 Blissbarb Archers

5 Claw-spear Hellstriders

6 Fiends

The Dread Pageant

Wheels of Excruciation

Mesmerising Mirror

Pretenders (Faultless Blades) 

Keeper of Secrets - General (Contest of Cruelty and Battle-Lust) Amulet of Destiny, Flaming Weapon

Contorted Epitome - Contemptuous Brand, Hysterical Frenzy

Shardspeaker - Dark Delusions

11 Blissbarb Archers

10 Symbaresh Twinsouls

The Dread Pageant

Wheels of Excruciation

Mesmerising Mirror

Similar thinking that neither is necessarily a great list but want to try Invaders without the Painbringers and Twinsouls and using the Fiends and Syll'Esske as the other block to Glutos. 

For Pretenders, I need to get the Keeper of Secrets with the Flaming Weapon spell out of my head and on the table so I can move on haha! 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Elazar The Glorified said:

Your Pretenders list won't work as you have no battleline without making the Lord of Pain your general. 

You're totally right - I've been playing Invaders so long I forgot about the restriction as it rarely comes up :P

I'd have to go with the second version with a second keeper instead of Dex and a LoP (swap battleline with Hellstriders and stick in a Shardspeaker too). May also play with Blissbarbs instead of Hellstriders and either the gemnids or wheels. 

Lots to test! 

17 minutes ago, Elazar The Glorified said:

I've got a couple of lists I want to try in upcoming games torn over which to use first though! 

For your list, do you think Syll'Esske will pull in their worth with Glutos there too? Just Glutos can cast the battleshock immunity spell very easily and eventually gives it out for free. Definitely worth a test, but not sure if they'll be at their full worth? I had a similar issue with them when trying them myself, where not enough mortals were dying in a single turn to make use of their CA when inspiring presence would do instead. That said, it was only a single try and you may find them much better. 

• Thanks 1

The problem with Pretenders and HoS elite infantry is that the Lord of Pain gets such little utility from CMD traits and Artefacts that the whole structure the army list deteriorates. 

I could only really come up with the following;

Lord of Pain

Skilled Leader. Heroic Structure

Pendant of Slaanesh

Paired up with this list.

Shardspeaker w/ arcane tome

15 Painbringers

Blissbarb Archers

Blissbarb Archers

Hellstriders w/ Clawspears

Chaos Knights

Chaos Knights

18 Untamed Beast

Chaos Warshrine (Curse)

When taking a unit of elite infantry I don't think I can play without curse or at least the threat of curse. Especially if I'm going to lean into the full rerolls that come with the Lord of Pain. Painbringers are obviously less tanky than warriors but that is just something to live with.

22 minutes ago, Enoby said:

For your list, do you think Syll'Esske will pull in their worth with Glutos there too? Just Glutos can cast the battleshock immunity spell very easily and eventually gives it out for free. Definitely worth a test, but not sure if they'll be at their full worth? I had a similar issue with them when trying them myself, where not enough mortals were dying in a single turn to make use of their CA when inspiring presence would do instead. That said, it was only a single try and you may find them much better. 

In truth I'm trying Syll'Esske more for the rest of their output more than the Battleshock Immunity. My theory is Syll'Esske, the Fiends and The Dread Pageant work as a little block out towards the one flank with the Shardspeaker being babysat by Glutos, the Blissbarbs on the other with the Hellstriders on early objective grab and screening duties.

Syll'Esske strikes me as a good target for Flaming Weapon or Metamorphosis depending on what support the Fiends need and with the two cohorts working a little independently I can maximise the rerolling 1s from Syll'Esske to help fish for Mortal Wounds on The Dread Pageant etc. The Battleshock Immunity will just be a bonus if I need it out on that flank is my thinking. The Contorted Epitome might be a better choice to be honest but would mean dropping one of the other bits I want to try out and I reckon Syll'Esske with them makes the Fiends look like something worth sending a big target like they want to engage with after them. 

Edited by Elazar The Glorified
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Elazar The Glorified said:

*snip*

And:

Syll'Esske strikes me as a good target for Flaming Weapon

That's fair enough - they're definitely worth a try, they didn't do too badly in my game with them :)

Just on flaming weapon, looking at what they've said, I don't think named characters will have access to the generic lore :( I'm not 100% sure until the FAQ comes out, but it looks like named characters will get access to their own spell lores through battletome erratas, rather than core rule erratas, which still leaves out the generic spells. 

11 minutes ago, whispersofblood said:

The problem with Pretenders and HoS elite infantry is that the Lord of Pain gets such little utility from CMD traits and Artefacts that the whole structure the army list deteriorates. 

Yeah, remembering the restrictions I don't think they're worth it in Pretenders - seems another point for Invaders :P

You mention using Chaos Knights, but every time I've used them they've been a bit of a joke - not quite Slaangors but close. Have you had better luck with them? They just do so little damage for their cost for me, and they don't tank that well either, unless you pair them up with a sorcerer (at which point I'd rather just use warriors to tank and save myself the points). Daemonic Power can up their damage, but there's no guarantee it'll go off and if it doesn't they're dead in the water.

That said, if you've found a better way to use them, I'd be very interested :)

8 minutes ago, Enoby said:

Just on flaming weapon, looking at what they've said, I don't think named characters will have access to the generic lore :( I'm not 100% sure until the FAQ comes out, but it looks like named characters will get access to their own spell lores through battletome erratas, rather than core rule erratas, which still leaves out the generic spells. :)

Yeah potentially,  I'm choosing for the underlined every in the rulebook to mean that literally for now though 😁 It does mean I might try that Pretenders list first so I can see if they FAQ the spells that way or not.

Edited by Elazar The Glorified
  • Like 1

Just now, Enoby said:

Yeah, remembering the restrictions I don't think they're worth it in Pretenders - seems another point for Invaders :P

You mention using Chaos Knights, but every time I've used them they've been a bit of a joke - not quite Slaangors but close. Have you had better luck with them? They just do so little damage for their cost for me, and they don't tank that well either, unless you pair them up with a sorcerer (at which point I'd rather just use warriors to tank and save myself the points). Daemonic Power can up their damage, but there's no guarantee it'll go off and if it doesn't they're dead in the water.

That said, if you've found a better way to use them, I'd be very interested :)

RE Chaos Knights;

Yeah there main benefit is they are cheap, like really cheap. And you can optimize their output without spending more points which is key to their price being low. They are good at hunting units that will out maneuver your slower infantry. But, you need to have the resources around to make them land. Lances, and All out Attack make good work killing non-hero monsters, and other cavalry. With 2" reach they do it on a pretty small frontage as well. But I wouldn't invest anything beyond that. Their shields mean you don't need to really worry too much about them as you can let them take MW spells/shooting and just accept the damage they receive in exchange for DP. But, yeah they are there to trade their lives for tactical considerations. In godseekers they have +2 to charge rolls as well, which just gives more free benefits. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was playing around with an idea for a Living City list with a ton of Sisters of the Watch, when it struck me that I can do something similar with Slaanesh, just with summoning rather than movement shenanigans. This list might be absolutely terrible in practice, but I'm tempted to give it a try:

Host - Lurid Haze

Contorted Epitome 255

Blissbarbs x22 360
Blissbarbs x22 360
Blissbarbs x22 360

Blissbarb Seekers x5 220
Blissbarb Seekers x5 220

Chaos Warshrine 185 - Curse

Battle Regiment

The idea is fairly straightforward: alpha-strike with 155 arrows on the first turn, making sure to spread the damage where possible, and then get the ball rolling on momentum. From turn 2 onward curse whatever needs to outright die, and continue to farm depravity and score points with whatever I can summon. Shoot to kill for enemy support pieces and threats, and farm the rest for depravity. 

I'll crumple on the return swing for sure, but I think it would be completely unexpected for most opponents. Also basically anything that can be charged can unleash hell in response. With smaller army sizes on the table the initial ~28 wounds vs 4+ saves would be crippling, and it would give me the ability to bracket monsters into something more manageable right off the bat.

I do wonder if it would be more efficient to run the Blissbarbs as 33 33 11 (removing a unit of Seekers or the warshrine), however.

• Like 1

So messing around with subfaction ideas and what they could be. 

Here is my WIP Sigvald faction

Decadent Host - Sigvald Focused w/ Mortal heroes support.

Ability - True Beauty! Sigvald counts as general, whenever Sigvald slays a hero, heal d3 wounds and gain +1 minimum attack on Shardslash. In addition, if Sigvald slays a hero, he generates 2 depravity. 

Painbringers wholly within 12" of SIGVALD or the General gain reroll to wounds.

Command Trait: Second to Sigvald: Mortal Hero Only. Add 1 to attacks when you charge. In addition, add 1 to wound rolls that target enemy HEROES. 

Artifact: Add 1 to run and charge rolls for friendly units within 6" of the bearer. 

Command Ability: Let them see how ugly they are: Sigvald picks a unit of myrmadesh wholly within 12" at the end of the charge phase. Units with 3" get -1 to hit until end of the next combat phase.

If a Warlord or Command Entourage is brought in a DECADENT HOST army, you pull artifacts from the Pretenders artifact list. 

Tried to not make it too strong, honestly the CA might be a bit much, but I wanted to get painbringers to look like mirror guard. I figured them rerolling wounds and giving a unit -1 to hit because of reflective shields felt pretty fluffy. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Carnith said:

Ability - True Beauty! Sigvald counts as general, whenever Sigvald slays a hero, heal d3 wounds and gain +1 minimum attack on Shardslash. In addition, if Sigvald slays a hero, he generates 2 depravity. 

Command Trait: Second to Sigvald: Mortal Hero Only. Add 1 to attacks when you charge. In addition, add 1 to wound rolls that target enemy HEROES. 

Artifact: Add 1 to run and charge rolls for friendly units within 6" of the bearer. 

Command Ability: Let them see how ugly they are: Sigvald picks a unit of myrmadesh wholly within 12" at the end of the charge phase. Units with 3" get -1 to hit until end of the next combat phase.

If a Warlord or Command Entourage is brought in a DECADENT HOST army, you pull artifacts from the Pretenders artifact list. 

Tried to not make it too strong, honestly the CA might be a bit much, but I wanted to get painbringers to look like mirror guard. I figured them rerolling wounds and giving a unit -1 to hit because of reflective shields felt pretty fluffy. 

I always thought his shield should send a mortal wound to spells or ranged on a 6

It would be fun to reflavour the subfactions to relate to the six major sins/realms of Slaanesh's domain, so you'd have a Host of Vainglory or a Host of Gluttony, or whatever.  Not the I dislike the current trio I suppose, but it would provide a bit more thematic range.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Carnith said:

Since I'm a big fan of the wholesome Slaaneshi power-couple, I'll do one:

Symbiotic Host

Ability:

The Prime Example: Syll'Esske counts as a general in addition to the chosen general for a Symbiotic Host Army, and gain the MORTAL keyword.

Inseperably Bonded: Symbaresh Twinsouls are battleline in a Symbiotic Host Army, and gain the Daemon keyword. In addition when using the Fractured Souls ability for Symbaresh Twinsouls units in the army you may select either option, regardless of which was used in the previous turn.

Glorious Unity: At the end of the battleshock phase you gain 1 depravity point if at least one Slaanesh mortal unit and one Slaanesh daemon unit were selected to fight in the preceding combat phase (these must be two separate units). If your general was one of these units gain d3 depravity points instead.

Command Trait:

Fight as One: If your general is a SLAANESH MORTAL, when you select them to pile in and fight in the combat phase you may select a SLAANESH DAEMON unit within 12" to pile in and attack immediately after your general's attacks are resolved. If your general is a SLAANESH DAEMON you may instead pick a SLAANESH MORTAL unit within 12". This counts as the first time the selected unit has fought in the combat phase, and they cannot be selected to fight again unless an ability allows them to fight a second time.

Artifact:

Token of The Covenant: SLAANESH MORTAL HEROES only. When you summon a SLAANESH DAEMON unit with the feast of depravities ability you may set up the unit wholly within 18" of the bearer, more than 9" from enemy models.

Command Ability:

Vengeful Retribution: This command ability may be issued in the combat phase when a friendly SLAANESH unit is selected as the target of an attack, that unit receives the command. When a model in this unit is slain, roll a dice: on a 4+ that model may pile in and attack with all its melee weapons before being removed from play.

I'm not sure if I'd come up with a unique set of artifacts for the host, or if they would pick from one of the existing host lists. Flavor-wise Invaders artifacts would make sense.

Edited by CeleFAZE
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1