New to AOS and thinking of Beastclaw Raiders?

aaronmwolford

Hey guys, I'm totally new to Warhammer, but myself and 3 of my friends have decided to make the plunge and play casually together. We have no intentions of playing competitively. 

So far one has chosen Legions and another Sylvaneth. 

My eyes have been on Beastclaw Raiders simply because I love the miniatures and the aesthetic theme. That said, I basically have one question.

How do they stack up against others? I honestly like the fact that the miniature set is limited, but will that hurt me? Before I make the plunge I just want to make sure that I'll be able to compete with them. I've heard mixed opinions. 

My other options that I'm considering are Skaven or Kharadron Overlords, but they are low on my list. 

If no one is optimizing their lists BCR will be fine and are personally my fav destro army. BCR is not a power house thou and you will never feel like you have the upper hand in any game.

BCR may get a new tome so that’s nice.

If you ever plan to enter a tournament with the BCR you’ll be incredibly disappointed. There is no build in the BCR book that can play vs LoN tournament lists.

Long and short it really depends on what your definition of competitive is. LoN can be very suffocating even in casual games with its recursion if your opponent plays lots of skeletons, or dips into Nighhaunt.

BCR are an army that really struggles. Due to the model count the objective game is non-existent for you. You'll be looking to table your opponent to win games. But despite that there monsters *can* hit very hard. Allies can provide some bodies in a casual list, especially fluffy if you consider 12 Ogors from gutbusters and paint them up to match your guys as hunters.

In the end, books change. If your just starting the hobby, and Ogors and BCR catch your eye, go for it. But as mentioned above, you will struggle against other armies as they get better and learn their tool kit, which is far larger then BCR's.

Since you’re just playing ‘casually’ with 2 mates you can also mitigate BCR’s main problem (lack of bodies for holding objectives) by just houseruling your way round it (something like counting wounds instead of model numbers to determine control of objectives for example).

They’re a really cool looking army with some great models, and more likely than not to get an updated battletome at some point over the next year, so just fill in the gaps with some well chosen allies and have fun.

welcome to the game anyway!

Go for BCR, their downsides already been explored here, so I'm not gonna talk about those. 
BCR are a fun army, with low model count which would allow to bring them to the table faster even with good paintjob, also I would support the idea of houseruling and maybe using battleplans that are better suit BCR from time to time, because both LoN and Sylvaneth are flat out better than BCR.

4 hours ago, aaronmwolford said:

Hey guys, I'm totally new to Warhammer, but myself and 3 of my friends have decided to make the plunge and play casually together. We have no intentions of playing competitively. 

So far one has chosen Legions and another Sylvaneth. 

My eyes have been on Beastclaw Raiders simply because I love the miniatures and the aesthetic theme. That said, I basically have one question.

How do they stack up against others? I honestly like the fact that the miniature set is limited, but will that hurt me? Before I make the plunge I just want to make sure that I'll be able to compete with them. I've heard mixed opinions. 

My other options that I'm considering are Skaven or Kharadron Overlords, but they are low on my list. 

As the Soviet Generals used to say: "Quantity has a quality of its own." High quality Beastclaw have to find a way to defeat hoards.

On 3/26/2019 at 10:53 PM, aaronmwolford said:

Awesome, thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'm going to stick with them. It will make those victories worth it when they happen and hopefully the battletomb gets updated in the future. 

The biggest problem in a BCR army is the body count. You can solve it simple putting on the table 60 Gnoblars (Gutbusters Grots) for just 270 points. 

The second problem is the magic. To solve this you can add to your army a Fungoid Cave Shaman that permits to have acces even the tha Gloomspite Endless spells. 

In my city's club I have 80% of victories against people that use: Stormcast, Legion of Azghor, Beast of Chaos, Seraphon, Gloomspite Gitz, Nighaunt.

So don't be scared about your friends armies, there is always a way to be competitive, even with Beastclaws Raiders. 

Haha thanks Franz! I just got my "start collecting" set. I plan to magnetize all of the weapon(arms), tails for frost/stone and the frost/stone heads, but I'm not sure what to do about the huskard vs frostlord. What would you recommend? I plan on getting a second "start collecting" set in the future, but diving in who is "better" to start with?

Go for it.  They are an army that has an official Age of Sigmar printed battletome.  This means that they will most likely remain an army in the game and get an updated book.  The army was good in Age of Sigmar when it first released but the game has evolved since then and their book is one of the older ones.  But if you are patient they will be updated - probably within the next year. 

If you play any army long enough it is going to go through at least one period of being underpowered.  Beastclaw are there right now but they won’t always be.  So if the models really interest you and you can handle waiting until they get an updated book then I would say go for it and pick them up.

11 hours ago, aaronmwolford said:

Haha thanks Franz! I just got my "start collecting" set. I plan to magnetize all of the weapon(arms), tails for frost/stone and the frost/stone heads, but I'm not sure what to do about the huskard vs frostlord. What would you recommend? I plan on getting a second "start collecting" set in the future, but diving in who is "better" to start with?

Standalone, the frostlord on stonehorn is “better”. So not a bad place to start - he’s a beast in combat. The huskard has more synergy, however, and will allow you to open up battalions if you want to. Huskard on Thundertusk can heal units, Huskard on Stonehorn, while a bit confused, can help with alpha charges. Personally, I started with a FL on SH and a Huskard on TT for my heroes, and they are still mostly mainstays.

Oh sorry one last question in regards to the mournfang riders. The start collecting comes with 4 and the box art has them all wielding different weapons. Should I follow the box art or are these interchangeable too? Or is a pack of mournfang only allowed with these 4 variants? Sorry again. Being new to this and haven't played yet it making the building process challenging lol. 

3 hours ago, aaronmwolford said:

Oh sorry one last question in regards to the mournfang riders. The start collecting comes with 4 and the box art has them all wielding different weapons. Should I follow the box art or are these interchangeable too? Or is a pack of mournfang only allowed with these 4 variants? Sorry again. Being new to this and haven't played yet it making the building process challenging lol. 

A unit of mournfangs can be equipped with either gargant hackers (the 2 handers) or 1 handed weapons and iron fists (the buckler-like gauntlets). Generally the hackers are better, but the way things are going I don’t think ironfists will be bad in the long run. Now you can run them in 2s, 4s, etc - I think the optimum number is 4, personally - and then each unit can have a leader (who can have a pistol for free), a standard bearer and a musician. So technically, you can build 4 and only 1 has a (e.g.) gargant hacker whilst still saying the unit is armed with  hackers. On the other hand, they’re reasonably easy to convert.

short answer - build them with hackers, but build one leader (pistol in hand or on belt somewhere), one standard bearer, one hornblower, and one trooper. Unit of 4 good to go. If you have to use them as 2s (to fill battleline, for example), you still can, but you can run 4 when you want to.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2019 at 2:22 AM, aaronmwolford said:

Uncle Frosty is by far better on Stonehorn. 

I'd prefer Huskard  with Bloody Volture on the Thundertusk to use is very good ability. (Using at least two Huskard on Thundertusk togheter to add more chance to heal). 

On 3/30/2019 at 4:55 PM, aaronmwolford said:

For Mournfang's Pack use always the Gargant Hackers. In a 4 models team add the boss with pistol, the Banner and the guy with horn. 

(Personally I consider the Mournfang's a waste of point because they are very expensive for what they do at the moment. They are useful just with Braggoth's Battalion. But this is another task) 

Archived