new player, which Army?

Micha

Hello guys,

yesterday i played 2 Games age f Sigmar, and it was a lot of fun :D i play warhammer 40k for 13 years and its time for some age of Sigmar. 

Now i need your help:  which army should i play?  I rly like massive gunlines is there something like that in aos? Which army has the best gunners? I do not like Chaos and elves :D

2nd thing i love are massive Skeletons or zombies. A huge wave of unkillable creatures... 

my girlfriend just finds her Army instandly: Wanderers / Sylvaneth.

and another question:  is it true that all the rules are free? And what exactly is the "generals handbook"?

thank you guys and sorry for my bad english...

43 minutes ago, Micha said:

Hello guys,

yesterday i played 2 Games age f Sigmar, and it was a lot of fun :D i play warhammer 40k for 13 years and its time for some age of Sigmar. 

Now i need your help:  which army should i play?  I rly like massive gunlines is there something like that in aos? Which army has the best gunners? I do not like Chaos and elves :D

2nd thing i love are massive Skeletons or zombies. A huge wave of unkillable creatures... 

my girlfriend just finds her Army instandly: Wanderers / Sylvaneth.

and another question:  is it true that all the rules are free? And what exactly is the "generals handbook"?

thank you guys and sorry for my bad english...

Hey,

Skaven, Empire/Freeguild and one of Dwarven factions (Steamhead) probably have the potential for the most gunline like armies in the game. As ever, if you're planning on painting/spending money on them, go with what appeals to you the most visually.

The main rules for the game are free - https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Warhammer-Age-of-Sigmar-Rules

Each unit's rules are on their storepage on the GW website as a pdf download for free. You can also get them on the age of sigmar app for your mobile or tablet.

General's Handbook is a supplement that adds points costs to the game, along with other things (scenarios, campaigns etc). Not essential but recommended, it's reasonably priced too.

Good luck!

Yeah i think the empire is the way i go :D thank you for the rules.

is the empire playable at tournaments? Is there something like a meta game right now? And which is the best Start for the Empire? Just get 1 of the starting collections? Or Single boxes with "better" Units ?

Personally, I wouldn't invest in an army that hasn't been updated for AoS yet, such as Empire. We don't exactly know what the new Free People army will look like. If I were you, I would pick up Gates of Azyr and give it a read. It's the first novella in the Realm Gate series and a great starting point. Once you read that you might decide Stormcast or Bloodbound are what you're looking for. Stormcast can be a gunline and have that "unkillable" trait to them, while the Bloodbound can be that huge wave of endless savages.

The game hasn't really updated any of the more traditional gunline armies yet, like someone said above, I would really hold off doing anything like that for now been as they are releasing things at a decent pace. If you definately want a gunline eventually Fyreslayers might be a cool place to start, they will fit a dwarfy aesthetic eventually, or given that Order is where the proper gunlines are placed at the moment, even think about getting Stormcast because they are in the Order faction and have a little bit more variety than the Fyreslayers.

If you like Skeletons and Zombies however, your 2nd option might even be a decent idea for now, I can't see them changing any of the basic kits (only maybe adding eventually) and you get something you want straight away.

i know its going to be a strange suggestion but have you thought of doing a destruction gun-line using the ogres or the goblins who have one of the largest war-machine collection in game. i know they do have problems, one begin that all the goblin war-machines are metal or finecast and only available online, and that most of the destruction forces that one would use to field a gun-line have been updated. but as far as we are aware the rules for these models are always going to be available to use and obtain. 

I would only pick updated armies. Those are:

(i) Stormcast Eternals: your all around elite army. No gunline, but have powerful shooters (although would be expensive to make an army centered around those)

(ii) Khorne Bloodbound: offensive melee army, not very powerful atm.  

(iii) Seraphon: old Lizardmen. Should be by far the most extensive updated faction, but they have little to no news regarding old WHFB version. 

(iv) Fyreslayers: hard to play and rather limited atm, also expensive.  

(v) Skaven Pestilens: have older models regarding other factions, but are quite powerful on their own. Not really gunline though. 

(vi) Flesh Eaters Court: a very fun to play army and quite powerful on their own, it is all around auto-healing and auto-regeneration/growth. 

(vii) Ironjaws: elite melee army.

(viii) Sylvaneth: first of the new breed of BTs, they are a very balanced, nice looking and strong faction to play. Only army alongside Bonesplitters and Beastclaw to be full updated (with magic, special rules and magic items). 

(ix) Bonesplitterz: monster hunters. Not as powerful as Sylvaneth and a lot more limited. 

(x) Beastclaw Raiders: very tough and devastating army, they lack numbers but compensate on some cheesy abilities and sheer individual power. 

There is also two small factions (Everchosen and Stormcast Extremis) which are really auxiliary units and not really an army on their own.

If you want an army with just one faction (no mixing), none of them seem to really suit your desired playstyle. I would therefore suggest mixing Order factions: get some artillery (they are a faction on their own) and then whatever infantry and shooting units from other armies you like. This is not without its risks, as some of those units could change faction or roles (not disappear though; they are safe). Maybe you could wait for a month? New dwarves are rumoured to be released on september or october and should be good for a gunline. But it is all speculation. 

I'd say start out with the Flesh Eater Court. They are recently updated, and have a Start Collecting box https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Start-Collecting-Flesh-Eater-Courts as well as a bigger Box https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/King-Vlagorescus-Ghoulish-Host. These box sets are an extremely good deal as is, but especially if your LGS provides a discount or you can find them online. For instance, the bigger King box set is $180 but has $276 worth of models. The Start Collecting is $85 with $125 worth of models.

While they are more Zombies than undead, they are coming in waves and have some huge critters: Crypt Horrors, Terrorgheist, Crypt Flayers, etc. I think you'd have fun with this army, and be ready for when the Free People are updated.

the flesheaters sounds well, can you give me some advice how a typical flesheater army looks like?  and whats the playstyle? go in with mass zombies and finish off with some outflanking "hardhiters" ? 

did they have some nice magic-tricks? :D  i rly like the fantasy setup with some magic in the air 

The Abhorrent Ghoul King is a Wizard, and has different spells depending on his setup (on Terrorgheist, Zombie Dragon, Foot, etc). You'll send in the Ghouls to pin units down, and once they start crumbling...bring them back to life :) There are heavy hitters, and depending on how you build your army can do different things. I don't play them myself...but have seriously considered it :) There's some information here on them that may help https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Age_of_Sigmar/Tactics/Edition_1.1/Flesh-Eaters_Courts

Personally I would also pick Flesh Eater Court as a fun army.

Other well thought armies include Stormcast Eternals (lots of different battle roles, a very large and growing selection of units) and Beastclaw Raiders (very limited range and play style, but a very well accomplished concept: marauding armies followed by an eternal winter, always despoiling precisely because of the winter). 

Flesh-Eater Courts is a really fun army and has probably my favorite fluff in all of Age of Sigmar. The $180 King Vlagorescu's Ghoulish Host is a 1200 point army in a box and would be your best bet to start. They're all about making your opponent kill them several times.

However, if you're only after suggestions then mine is this: go with what you think looks cool. That is the only criteria. 75% (maybe more) of this hobby is spent modeling/painting. If you try and do that with something you don't like the look of, you won't get far.

21 minutes ago, Dr_Keenbean said:

Flesh-Eater Courts is a really fun army and has probably my favorite fluff in all of Age of Sigmar. The $180 King Vlagorescu's Ghoulish Host is a 1200 point army in a box and would be your best bet to start. They're all about making your opponent kill them several times.

However, if you're only after suggestions then mine is this: go with what you think looks cool. That is the only criteria. 75% (maybe more) of this hobby is spent modeling/painting. If you try and do that with something you don't like the look of, you won't get far.

This is what I always advise too...though I seem to get a little caught up and forgot this time because Flesh Eater Court looks cool (though it's no Ironjawz!).

When I brought chaos way back when, I based it on 2 things. 

Rule of cool.

Do they look cool, does their lore sound cool, is there cool conversion ideas I can do to make my army unique and are their rules cool.

Second.

How likely are they to have further or regular updates. 

With chaos being the main bad guy, updates are likely to be frequent and the lore regularly updated so there will be a steady stream of models.

How you weight these things is up to you, but that's how I decided.

It's how I'm deciding on my next army.

Currently torn between sylvaneth, fireslayers, seraphon. 

The problem with those three armies are, lack of models, and unlikely to recieve many more new models for a long time .

But their rules are cool and they look awesome with some interesting lore

Hey all, gonna hook on to this thread. We should really have a sticky, where people can ask about what army to choose. 

But I need some help choosing an army as well.

I want an army that is a bit elite, have already have 2 40k horde armies, not doing that again.

Should have good monsters, love to paint them, also have a mix of shooting and melee. 

Is there an army like that ?

Thanks ?

51 minutes ago, Nasnad said:

Hey all, gonna hook on to this thread. We should really have a sticky, where people can ask about what army to choose. 

But I need some help choosing an army as well.

I want an army that is a bit elite, have already have 2 40k horde armies, not doing that again.

Should have good monsters, love to paint them, also have a mix of shooting and melee. 

Is there an army like that ?

Thanks ?

Well thats everyones dream isn't it? xD

A couple of those are opinion based, so it really depends on whether you want to shoot or melee. Saying that Sylvaneth fit all that criteria if you want to paint tree's. Big Monsters (Treemen), Good to paint? (easy to paint at least, can be messy painting trees) and they have the ability to shoot weith the Kurnoth hunters and obviously have a melee capability with everything else.

1 hour ago, Nubgan said:

Well thats everyones dream isn't it? xD

A couple of those are opinion based, so it really depends on whether you want to shoot or melee. Saying that Sylvaneth fit all that criteria if you want to paint tree's. Big Monsters (Treemen), Good to paint? (easy to paint at least, can be messy painting trees) and they have the ability to shoot weith the Kurnoth hunters and obviously have a melee capability with everything else.

Yea, might be why it is hard to find an army like that. 

That could be a good army, but shying a bit away from order, as my group is almost all order.

Should it make sense to mix beast claw and gut busters? Now with the new beast claw book ? ..

Beastclaw seem fun and quite powerful and is VERY low on the miniature count. 

Other non-order faction with low miniature count is Ironjaws, although with Ardboys it will be a lot higher than Beastclaw and without them will get really expensive.

I would look at both those factions and see which one of them you like the most. 

The other non-order factions already updated/new do not seem to fit your criteria:

-Bloodbound is not horde but rather high on miniature count because of Bloodreavers/Blood Warriors.

-Skaven Pestilens is not really horde, but near.

-Flesh eater courts should have a lot of normal ghouls.

-Bonesplitterz is high on miniature count and has no monsters.  

-Everchosen is not a real faction. 

Yeah, going down the Destruction route would probably be your best bet if you want to avoid Order - the Beastclaw Raiders seem like a hard hitting bunch from what I've read, and some cool models and fluff, too. Definitely low on the model count, not sure about their shootintg ability though. Not sure how much of their stuff is Finecast as well, if you're after avoiding that, although a quick glance on the GW website seems to show that the Ogors themselves are plastic at least.

Destruction have some cool monsters, too, which is what's making me lean towards them being my second alliance (eventually, plenty to do with my Order force first!). Admittedly I'm looking at Forge World for some of those cool monsters (the Basilisk especially sexy, in a smash-face kinda way! :D), but the Orruk Warboss on Wyvern and the Maw-krusha are both beautiful models too. That, and squigs - squigs are always awesome :P 

If you're thinking Ogor's then have a look at some of the Gutbuster faction - you've Leadbelchers, Ironblaster's, Scrap Launchers and Gnoblars with ranged weapons.  Beastclaw did have a bit of shooting in initially (not sure what the new Battletome has in).

Archived