How can I do a three player free for all game?

Ironbreaker

Question

7 answers to this question

The cool thing about Warhammer is it can be very flexible in its rules so long as the rest of the group agrees to the changes.

One such way to make a "Free for all" game would be to do as you said with a center objective, but then add other secondary objectives scattered around the map so you can the Open War objective cards.

In reality you can probably use most missions in the different books and adapt them for a larger scale, you'll just need to change a few things to accommodate the increase in players. I will warn you though that games with more than two people tend to drag a lot longer than the usual two person matches.

The key is to try and have something like a central objective which forces all three to compete against each other. The risk with a 3 player game is that two players end up ganging up on the third. This doesn't have to be by intention, it just happens through the course of the game. It's always a lot easier to attack someone who is already distracted by an attack and is weaker than it is to go for the stronger party.

Another option is instead of a free for all, you do a two vs one. One player takes a larger single army and the other side takes half and half. The idea here is that you've got the two vs one but the points are balanced so its a fairer match. Sometimes this mode can end up wanting to give a points advantage to the single player only because two armies teaming up can end up more powerful because each covers the others weaknesses. But you can try it and mess around and see what works. 

I play with two friends and we play normal objectives but have the rule added that only units can fight wich are within combat range of the player who´s turn it is + the players own units. This gives us more flexibility than the usual triumph and trearchy ruling and keeps the usual combat flow.

Archived