Character Focussed Armies?

Henry

Hi all,

Hope this is the more suitable forum to pose the question. I'm wanting to get on the event scene later this year and therefore would like to build an army rather than just a few minis. Painting/modelling are the primary driving force for me with any army project. With that in mind, and trying to be realistic  about completing this project, I'm considering how to approach building and collecting the force. 

I'd love a force where the characters are not just focal points from a rules perspective but also from a visual and background. Do any spring to mind?

Or is this a case of shut up Henry, build what you like, any force can be hero heavy?

thanks in advance

At present the only real force with Characters is Stormcast Eternals and some of the Chaos forces. 

Otherwise many of the other armies don't have named characters at present, though some have a named general/hero/leader. Eg Daughters of Khaine have Morathi. 

The lore is basically rather fresh and GW hasn't fleshed out many big names in all the races as yet, so the characters are really your own idea that you can write about within the setting if you so desire. 

First thing that comes to mind is the Beastclaw Raiders. With 2 start collecting boxes your are close to 1,5K already. Big Ogors, riding bigger monsters, whats not to love. The heroes on big beasts are the stars of the army. Just be quick because the price of Start Collecting will increase a bit.

Second army would be Slaanesh. If the coming release, no date but likely this year, keeps to the summoning rules that were introduced this year Slaanesh plays very character heavy. For every wound done and suffered by your hero you gain a point and in your turn you can spend those points to summon new units. Take a look at the Slaanesh daemon heroes and see if you like them. But also Slaves to Darkness heroes that you can give the Slaanesh keyword are great options! 

1 minute ago, Kramer said:

Or Morathi for that matter

Well, in all fairness, Morathi was mentioned. I just think no army plays as character-heavy atm as LoN. Just look at the armylists of the UK Masters and CanCon.

Frequently, it's almost two thirds of the army in characters.

Thanks all. So perhaps to be more specific, I should have used the term Hero rather than character. The beastclaw are a good shout. Essentially looking for something where I can plonk a bunch of points into the heroes, spend lots of time really nailing the paintjob on them, and then fill in the rest of the army around them. Some ideas I'd had were:

Stormcast - good range of hero models, all pretty useful in game, already a relatively low model count army.

Nurgle & Tzeentch - new ranges, lots of hero models including obvious centrepieces

Mixed Order - probably widest range of available heroes, no obvious theme/list jumping to mind though

Order Draconis - Big ass dragons, small amount of auxiliary. Limited scope.

Kharadron - Whilst relatively few heroes, there are obvious big, expensive centrepieces that can act in a similar fashion.

At present I'd say the mixed order, stormcast heavy idea feels like it should be the go to.

2 hours ago, Mutter said:

Well, in all fairness, Morathi was mentioned. I just think no army plays as character-heavy atm as LoN.

Haha true, should have read more closely. 

As for Character-heavy chaos I would still vote Slaanesh (maybe not Tournament winner, although I think that potential is there.) But in the end it comes down to which Greater Daemons you think are cooler (plus maybe playstyle). 

I hate to say this, since I’m what you would call the opposite of a fan of Stormcast, but essentially every single model is a hero in his/her own right. Sure they have plenty of actual models with the hero keyword, loads in fact, but their lore is that even the most basic liberator is a hero of the people in Sigmar’s eyes. 

If you got this route, you could do a lot with themes of reforging, making them all extremely battle damaged and gritty. This would also make them look less like perfect shiny golden spes murines.

6 hours ago, Henry said:

Hi all,

Hope this is the more suitable forum to pose the question. I'm wanting to get on the event scene later this year and therefore would like to build an army rather than just a few minis. Painting/modelling are the primary driving force for me with any army project. With that in mind, and trying to be realistic  about completing this project, I'm considering how to approach building and collecting the force. 

I'd love a force where the characters are not just focal points from a rules perspective but also from a visual and background. Do any spring to mind?

Or is this a case of shut up Henry, build what you like, any force can be hero heavy?

thanks in advance

You probaly want to ignore skaven then.

Or at least mixed skaven for right now.

A Troggoth based Gloomspite Gitz army would work a treat.

A Dankhold Troggboss, supported by a Troggoth Hag as your primary characters, chuck Mollog and his squiggly beasts in for good measure.

If you also want a slightly more effective army, add in a couple of Squig Herds into the mix to give you some numbers and distraction pieces.

Stormcast. Of course it's stormcast. 
We have a bunch of heroes to choose from, all of them are decently protected and have at least two of: mortal wounds/buffs/weapon with rend. Great miniatures as well, then you have hero-focused battalions, lots of lore for different stormhosts.

And for the army you can really go in any direction, you can go shooty, choppy, wide, elite, fast, literally whatever you desire an army that follows your mighty champions of God-King to be. 
AND your characters will be reforging so death in battle is ok!

20 hours ago, Henry said:

Thanks a lot everyone. Plenty of food for thought. I'm going to go paint up a stormcast hero, a death hero and an Orruk hero. Will see which is most fun.Will post up results.

Looking nice forward to it! And it’s the only way to decide ;) 

Archived