AoS2 - Dankhold Troggoth Discussion

Malakree

15 hours ago, Malakree said:

Aye but Troggoths are also the only subfaction with only 1 battalion. Functionally the Troggherd is our megabattalion but with no real option for a 1 drop. Considering that it's probably one of the weaker battalions AND it's also the most expensive the fact you can't 1 drop it burns pretty bad.

For comparison

• Spiderfang Stalktribe is 330 for a 1 drop with 3 battalions each with some solid buffs.
  • Moonclan Skrap is 280 for a 1 drop with 2 battalions better effects.
  • Squigalanche is 230 for a 1 drop with 2 battalions and the best battalion buffs in the book.
  • Troggherd is 180 points for at best a 2 drop with 1 battalion and a pretty awful bonus.

To put it in perspective, a standard Dankhold Troggoth is probably the most overcosted Troggoth in the book. For 220 points it's expected damage is ~5.4. Now the absolute optimum unit in a Troggherd is a Fellwater Troggoth which gives you the best outcome possible, for every 3 Fellwater Troggoths in a Troggherd we get around ~1.56 damage. 

This means a Troggherd has to have 9 Fellwater Troggoths in it to break even with our worst option, an option which is taken primarily for all it's other utility/buffs which I haven't accounted for. In reality if we compare it to Rockgut Troggoths (Since they average out worse than Fellwaters for basic situations) we're comparing it to ~10.3 damage So a Troggherd has to have at least 6 units of Fellwater Troggoths in it to break even with a unit of Rockguts. That means you're well over 1000 points into your army before a Troggherd even gets close to viability.

The least we could get for that is the ability to 1 drop our Troggoths and Gargants.

I'll be 100% honest I am super happy to swap to trolls for my monstrous infantry army, coming from BoC even if the battalion is mediocre the base profile on the units I actually want to take to make up said battalion are so many leagues ahead of minotaurs, that I am positively giddy .

I played a 2v2 game at 1250 per player the other day and the dankhold boss was positively eating units left and right, while the rockguts were incredibly difficult to remove and the fellwaters were deleting full stormcast units even with full saver rerolls. I felt that the army was very fun to play at the ...i dunno casual+ level, certainly not hyper competitive , but able to get a jump on players that arent expecting it  , the look on my opponents face when i rolled 19 damage for my dankboss' 4 attacks was priceless and well worth the 300 points.

19 hours ago, Skoll said:

I'll be 100% honest I am super happy to swap to trolls for my monstrous infantry army, coming from BoC even if the battalion is mediocre the base profile on the units I actually want to take to make up said battalion are so many leagues ahead of minotaurs, that I am positively giddy .

I played a 2v2 game at 1250 per player the other day and the dankhold boss was positively eating units left and right, while the rockguts were incredibly difficult to remove and the fellwaters were deleting full stormcast units even with full saver rerolls. I felt that the army was very fun to play at the ...i dunno casual+ level, certainly not hyper competitive , but able to get a jump on players that arent expecting it  , the look on my opponents face when i rolled 19 damage for my dankboss' 4 attacks was priceless and well worth the 300 points.

19 attacks, lol! That’s a beat down!

Just played a 3 game tournament with the sad stats of 1 win 2 loss. The battleplans really didnt favor my list with only 20 models. First game was a super easy win as there were only two objectives in the middle and I just held them for the entire game against night haunt but the second and third game had 5 and 6 objectives and I played against Slanesh and Nagash... I really had Slanesh on the ropes on the first two battleround but after they start summoning things back the troggoths really dont survive at all and You just dont have enough units and models to hold all the objectives. And against Nagash there really was nothing to do its a high tier army Full Fellwater cant handle that :D 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eevika said:

Just played a 3 game tournament with the sad stats of 1 win 2 loss. The battleplans really didnt favor my list with only 20 models. First game was a super easy win as there were only two objectives in the middle and I just held them for the entire game against night haunt but the second and third game had 5 and 6 objectives and I played against Slanesh and Nagash... I really had Slanesh on the ropes on the first two battleround but after they start summoning things back the troggoths really dont survive at all and You just dont have enough units and models to hold all the objectives. And against Nagash there really was nothing to do its a high tier army Full Fellwater cant handle that :D 

Could you share a list? And thanks for the report!

I just played this list today. Magic was INSANE! I ended up blocking movement with Scuttletide and Mork’s Magic Mushroom. Endless spells just baffled my opponent.  Gutbusters were stunned.

Trogboss with Loonskin and Ethereal Amulet

3 Fungoid Cave Shamans

3@ 6 Rockguts 

1 Dankhold 

Balewind Vortex, Malevolent Moon, Mork’s Mighty Mushroom, Scuttletide 

Loonshrine

On 2/10/2019 at 6:41 AM, Antonio Rodrigues said:

WOW!!!! 😍

That's exactly the color scheme I am aiming for! Would you mind sharing the Black skin "recipe"? It contrasted really well with the bluish Rock and the purplish shrooms!

Congrats! AMAZING model!

Cheers

AJ

Alright here we go, mind you I didnt actually wash the skin either it was pretty easy.

Based sprayed Corax white, base coat of Incubi Darkness and dry brushed over certain sections with the Dry paint Lucius lilac.

The mushrooms were based incubi darkness, wahed in Drakenhof Nightshade and dry brushed with both Naggaroth Night and a very very light skull white, in that order.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Batch said:

Alright here we go, mind you I didnt actually wash the skin either it was pretty easy.

Based sprayed Corax white, base coat of Incubi Darkness and dry brushed over certain sections with the Dry paint Lucius lilac.

The mushrooms were based incubi darkness, wahed in Drakenhof Nightshade and dry brushed with both Naggaroth Night and a very very light skull white, in that order.

WOW, Thanks for that! I would never thought of using this mix to get to this result! Congrats again for it, and thanks!

Cheers

AJ

I think I watched Venomous Wargaming's Trolls vs Slaanesh, where an Exalted Greater Daemon of Slaanesh wailed on a Troggboss with a double attack sequence, dropping him to 2 wounds, only to get slapped in the face by his re-rolling damage and instantly killed.  He did exactly 15 damage and made the daemon look like a joke. He then subsequently healed 6 wounds.

• Haha 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

5 hours ago, Fabuland said:

What do you think about converting a great unclean one into an obese hag?

Is there a big difference in base size and or model size?

I think you could probably pull it off, but it would be a pretty large Hag.  The Hag is on an oval and the Great Unclean One is on a 130mm round.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skabnoze said:

I think you could probably pull it off, but it would be a pretty large Hag.  The Hag is on an oval and the Great Unclean One is on a 130mm round.

I am a complete aos noob (only played a fair share of dropzone commander).

Is it common in a non tournament setting to complain about a size difference like that (120mm oval vs 130mm round)? I would love to field the hag but resin turns me off big time.

18 minutes ago, Fabuland said:

Is it common in a non tournament setting to complain about a size difference like that (120mm oval vs 130mm round)? I would love to field the hag but resin turns me off big time.

So long as it fits on the correct base size, and is extremely clear as to what it is, most people (including many tournaments) will allow it. Buy an extra 120mm base if you do it. If you watch Doom and Darkness, you'll see that Cancon allowed an almost 100% proxy army for some reason, so you may find things more relaxed than you might normally expect.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Fabuland said:

It depends on the group of people you play with.  In most cases I find that people don't really care that much as long as you are not doing something in order to try to gain some sort of advantage.

However, some groups tend to play like every game is major tournament-prep (even when those people don't actually attend tournaments).  If your local group is like this then they may be much more averse to allowing things that are not official.  So basically it is going to come down to the group of players that you regularly play with. 

42 minutes ago, Knight Scáthach of Fimm said:

So long as it fits on the correct base size, and is extremely clear as to what it is, most people (including many tournaments) will allow it. Buy an extra 120mm base if you do it. If you watch Doom and Darkness, you'll see that Cancon allowed an almost 100% proxy army for some reason, so you may find things more relaxed than you might normally expect.

To echo what @Skabnoze said it's mostly about fitting it onto the base and making sure it's recognizably what you're claiming it is.

In the case of the hag that would be making sure it looks like a troll rather than a nurgle model. So the guts spilling out is clearly a nurgle thing while the GUO lacks the massive nose which is quite iconic for gw trolls.

So yes you can totally do it however when someone sees it on the table they should be able to tell it's converted and not just proxied.

This is based around tournament play rather than random friendlies. In friendlies I've had people put a blank base down with no model haha.

• Thanks 1