Is a Grand Alliance Order army still valid?

ServiceGames

So many armies have become so specialized these days with Command Traits and Artefacts that I curious if a Grand Alliance Order army is even viable.  

I know when AoS launched, it was all about choosing your favorite models from within a Grand Alliance and have fun.  It has changed so mich since then.  But, can a Grand Alliance Order army still work?

Thanks

SG

9 hours ago, ServiceGames said:

So many armies have become so specialized these days with Command Traits and Artefacts that I curious if a Grand Alliance Order army is even viable.  

I know when AoS launched, it was all about choosing your favorite models from within a Grand Alliance and have fun.  It has changed so mich since then.  But, can a Grand Alliance Order army still work?

Thanks

SG

Yes it certainly can.  So many options available to Order.

Check out this crazy combination, its done well at a few events I think.

9 hours ago, ServiceGames said:

Thanks

SG

Yeah absolutely, but I think it’s going to be quite hard to get a lot of feedback on the lists ;) 

For friendly play it’s perfectly good an for matched play there are some cool combinations available, what are you thinking off? 

10 hours ago, ServiceGames said:

Thanks

SG

Yes all Grand allegiances are still a interesting option to take for your (mixed) army. Although you might struggle in tournaments, it doesn’t mean that loosing and gaining the last place will happen to often.

if I’m not mistaken then there was some guy playing an order (mixed) army in the first tournament held with the second edition, and placed in the top 10

Honestly GA Order and GA Destruction are pretty decent. Phoenix Temple units for example are amazing. And several units buff all Order.

And don't forget technically the Firestorm Free City Allegiances (which are slightly restricted GA order) are still Matched Play legal. So you can still get a bonus on top of GA Order.

It's really only Chaos (with exception to mixed Skaven...for now) and Death that don't really bother with GA lists.

I'm planning to return to AoS and a mixed order army is something I'm considering - would give me the chance to paint a variety of models which helps keep me motivated. However, I don't really know where to start as there is so much choice; I'm particularly interested in elves, sylvaneth and dwarfs but I also like big monsters (including Stormcast heroes, dragons, freeguild griffons and the stormcast cavalry). Is there an up to date guide anywhere or could someone post a rundown of what leaders/battleline etc work well in a GA army and rely less on being mono faction for bonuses.

On 11/30/2018 at 1:47 AM, swiftmus said:

I'm planning to return to AoS and a mixed order army is something I'm considering - would give me the chance to paint a variety of models which helps keep me motivated. However, I don't really know where to start as there is so much choice; I'm particularly interested in elves, sylvaneth and dwarfs but I also like big monsters (including Stormcast heroes, dragons, freeguild griffons and the stormcast cavalry). Is there an up to date guide anywhere or could someone post a rundown of what leaders/battleline etc work well in a GA army and rely less on being mono faction for bonuses.

Sounds like a Living City army would be perfect for you :) it's basically a limited version of Order that lets you only take Free Guild, Stormcast, Dispossessed, Slyvaneth and Wanderers but in return you get a cool ambush ability (very useful for the Duardin!)

I can't speak for its competitiveness as I'm still building mine but if you look in the thread linked above there is a bit of discussion about the army and I did a write up on my opinions of all it's battle line options :)

• 3 weeks later...

I play mixed order for the most part and usually finish 3-2 at local tournaments, you struggle vs Legions of Nagash and Daughters but who doesn't.
I do lean pretty heavily on a Phoenix or two, grab 3x80 point units of battleline then throw in some casters and a beatstick cherry picking from all of order.

Archived