What are the 'cons' of buying all the battletomes

1 minute ago, amysrevenge said:

Not the right question.

If you want the fluff, then the Battletomes remain relevant forever.

If you want the rules,  why are you buying the battletome?  The rules are free in the app.

^this

Good question, and I am not sure yet either.  I play humans (they change factions weekly lul) and skaven.  So far I love the skaven subfactions, but they can also still be played well like an 8th edition army with a sprinkle of everything.  Humans, quite a few warscrolls have changed, mainly keywords limiting what you can take.

Ill end up buying all the books most likely.  But if I didnt have disposable income, I am not sure how I would do it.  Seems like weekly new books comming out (no complaints here), just unsure if others can keep up.

Can't see any cons, really, except that my wallet's gonna be hurting by the time I've caught up with all the fluff :$ They do seem to be coming thick and fast (the campaign books, especially), but I don't really see that as a problem - as long as they're not OOP by the time I get round to buying them, it just means I have to wait a bit while I stagger purchases for all the fluff and cool additional rules (and if you're not interested in the fluff, the rules are available a lot cheaper on the app). None of it's necessary to play, so it's not like they have you over a barrel.

That said, I've not heard good things about the app on phone, so if you don't have a tablet, you may feel more inclined to buy more books, but that's more of a con with the app than the books.

The only printed books ones that have become not relevant are the compendiums, and given the price of them I think they would be a good buy even if they are completely invalidated within 12 months.

In terms of actual battletomes, I would say the only real downside is that they cost money and GW does not give them to us for free (think of the children GW!). The rules may become out of date, but the core rules of how to use a model will always be free to download so no great loss there. The artwork, the stories, the painted models, the paint schemes, the history all will be relevant until the end of AoS. So, if those things appeal they are a great buy and well worth the money. If those things don't appeal, get the rules to play for free and save money for more models.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the handbook, and the app and the alliance chaos book.

what I want though is to know if the Khorne Bloodbound book is worth it now compared to the Sylvaneth book plus the later ones. They are packed with fluff etc as well but have artifacts and general abilities. Does the Khorne one have this?

Archived