Help me pick

Izikail

I know everyone hates these topics but i need a hand. 

Should i go bonespliterz or ironjawz

Bonespliterz: like there heros, spells and i have fun list building them

Ironjawz: look cool, have a maw crusher and very fast

I cant pick between the bonespliter rules and the ironjaw looks. What do you guys think?

Don’t worry about whether people will like your question we are here to help and enjoy it.

The ironjawz are my preference as they are easier to collect. With ironjawz you can buy two start collecting and a mega boss and brutes and you have an army. Also they can get a single starter set and buy more brutes over time as they are really good. They can get away with buying one unit at a time and be valid at any cost while bonesplitters can’t say the same.

bonesplitters have to have lots of arrowboys to reach their peak and be good, which means you’re likely to have to buy at least two boxes of troops for them and that’s for one unit. To be good at 2000 points you will likely need at least 3 boxes of troops, a wizard, a boss and a boarboy box. That’s a lot. They have cool aesthetic and cool models but they don’t have a starter set, they are a lot of web store exclusives so that’s more for delivery and means you won’t get reductions on them and they don’t have a centre piece or big kits so they probably won’t get a start collecting anytime soon, so they end up very expensive. While ironjawz are not. So ironjawz and bonesplitters are equally good imo when at their peak but one of them costs a hell of a lot more to hit that

I would push back that Bonesplitterz have to use arrowboys to be good.  That is one tactic, but not the only one.  Also this new edition has opened up more options I think.  The Kopp Rukk seems like it will be a stronger choice and that is based around a ton of wizards and Morboys.

As for Ironjawz cavalry - I think you will find they are not as pillowfisted as you think.  Gore Grunta lists tend to fair pretty well.

44 minutes ago, Izikail said:

Do ironjaws suffer from a lack of rerolls

Do bonespliterz struggle with movment speed?

1. Absolutely not. Your whole army is a synergistic, hit-bonus, extra attacks-granting nightmare. Many re-roll hits against >3 wound models, even.

2. They can't rocket across the battlefield like many alpha strike armies if that's what you mean, but they're a ranged army mostly, and have access to ways of speeding up.

If you like slinging spells i would go for bonespliterz, as their list of spells and number of wizards is fantastic.

As for battleline you have a huge selection, can go boar heavy to make you have less to paint or do a solid mix.

Painting is pretty easy to do on a basic level as they have large areas that are a single colour followed by a wash to give some detail.

You don't need to go lots of archers if you don't want as they got a few nerfs this eddition.

Money wise and fewer models to paint would be Ironjawz.  Buy a start collecting, the skirmish box, and a warboss.  If you can come up with another 5 ardboyz, then you have a good size squad for your wizard.  3x heroes and 3 battleline.

I actually got rid of my Ironjawz to do Bonesplitters.  Got one box of Boyz painted up, but got sidetracked with a couple of other projects.  I really like the fluff of the Bonesplitters and the horde will look cool.

Bonesplitterz aren't actually that expensive to collect - the kit of 20 Boyz is really good value (and available through resellers as a plastic kit).  Also quite easy to speed paint (but you can also go further with them if you want).

Having played both - a lot - I personally prefer Bonesplitterz.  In anything but a Kunnin Rukk I find them the most fun and flexible.  

But you do make a good point that Ironjawz are most likely to get future support.  I'd say that what you've got is what you're getting with Bonesplitterz - although Allies can always rejuvenate anyone (e.g. Malign Sorcery and the new Rogue Idol warscroll have reinvigorated interest in them).  But Ironjawz will probably get a wave 2 release at some point - you could have a fair old wait on your hands though.

9 hours ago, Izikail said:

A few questions

Do ironjaws suffer from a lack of rerolls

Do bonespliterz struggle with movment speed?

As an aside I guess that ij are more likely to get future support than donespliters

Bonesplitterz have a spell that lets you double (or even triple) their movement and fly.  Plus there is the new Chrono Cogs spell.  And finally, there is some limited scope to bring units back on a board edge with one of the big batallions (have to roll a 6 though).  You also have useful Batallions that can help you pay for the generic command abilities, all Orcs in entire game can run and charge with the Fungoid Cave Shaman, and multiple batallions enhance your movement (e.g. the Kunnin Rukk can let you move in the Hero Phase).  Plus you have very affordable cavalry.

So all in all, no, they are pretty mobile!  

And if frequency of updates is important to you - I could not in good faith recommend either army.  Destruction has not had a new Battletome since BCR 2 years ago, has has very limited Black Library support since day 1, and has largely been frozen out of the Allegiance Abilities updates in each GH (only Ironjawz and nothing else).  There have been no new models to speak of since the Ironjawz Battletome dropped, and the moment in the sun for BCR was pretty limited before they were proactively battered. 

Things could always change in the future, but every indication so far is that Destruction in general are anicllary to the main setting.  Something to consider.  Only 4 Destruction armies at SCGT this year - you're down to the real hardcore orc lovers by now!  Largely we're playing these armies because we love them - so although it's a cliche, pick whichever one calls out to you, because you're doing it for the love anyway!

A kop rukk bonespliterz force is super tempting. But moving around 2 units of 30 morboys on the table is daunting.

I purchased some ironjawz. Me and a freind are going to do a path to glory and see how it feels. If i dont enjoy thenlm i can stop there and do the bony boyz

Archived