AoS 2 - Wanderers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

13 hours ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

image.png.1c0e2b10fc0f447daaa0b86aa7c68870.png

What do you all think about it? I am mildly excited, alas our beloved Aelves have become more horde-like than ever.
Overall I try to contain my expectations on whatever "expanded rules" meant in the other preview, I am hoping for maybe a Spell-Lore section. But oh well, ....^^

The old Sister of the Watch or Glade guard argument just got even more interesting if the Glade guard get no points drop. SotW are actually looking like the best option.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, GM_Monkey said:

The old Sister of the Watch or Glade guard argument just got even more interesting if the Glade guard get no points drop. SotW are actually looking like the best option.

I may have to get 10 more so I can field a unit of 30. I've always wanted to loose 30 arrows at a charging unit.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, martinwolf said:

All points updates according to a YouTube video where someone apparently has the whole profiles book.

160 Waystone Pathfinders

160 10x Sisters of the Watch

120 10x Wildwood Rangers

100 5x Wild Riders

210 5x Sisters of the Thorn

80 Wayfinder

Listbuilding is much more interesting now! The WSPF battalion at 160 is very tempting now. The points drop on WWR, the WF, and the SotW make them much easier to fill out your battlelines with (with appropriate general choices), and the slight reduction is SotT will help out nicely. The end result, especially when the points drops for Endless Spells, means that we can fit a lot more into our lists, and we'll end up being more potent. I'm keen for the opportunity to run more endless spells, and possibly slot in allies! A Sylvaneth Treelord at 200 is especially appealing, since their stomp which makes things fight last in the combat phase works really, really well with our hard-hitting but fragile melee units, like WWR.

51 minutes ago, martinwolf said:

It sounds good but Glade Guard staying at 120 without a discount at 30 is really disappointing. 

I suggest treating GG as a back-line objective-guarding unit with a neat once-a-game ability - take a single nice big block of 20-30, fire your -3 rend shots first turn at whatever you need to (hopefully with re-rolls to hit from your NP and re-rolls to wound from the additional command point for a battalion, if you really want to load the dice), and then afterwards their attacks are just a bonus. Personally, once they do their initial damage, I use them to absorb charges and/or screen against teleports, flying movement, and other unpleasantness from my opponent. 20 GG can cover a huge space, especially with a 6" movement.

• Like 2

If that list of changes is accurate I'm excited for 2 things. 1 my list saves almost enough points to bring 3 more kurnoth hunters when I play wanderers  AND I can now perfectly fit 20 sisters plus Nomad Prince as allies for my sylvaneth at 2k.

This is good. 

EDIT: Ash from guerrilla games or whatever has a video where he flips through the books points section.  Those points are accurate and the only changes (to points). So hopefully someone posts the section on army rules soon so we can see if we get a spell lore or what changes BUT he doesn't mention any new batallions in the points overview. This could be an oversight or could mean we get no new batallions. 

Edited by The Red King
  • Like 1

Link to when he talks about the pages with Wanderer Allegiance Abilties. Looks like no new spell lore and no new battalions. Only changes at all appear to be a slight rewording of Myst Walker (to make the wording more straightforward) and now Singer of Spells also adds +1 to dispelling as well as casting and unbinding.

6 hours ago, GM_Monkey said:

Unfortunately the max size is 20 at the moment.

Max size is listed as 20 on Warscroll Builder for Sisters of the Watch, but that is incorrect (Warscroll Builder also lists Sisters of the Thorn as having a 6+ save). It appears it will remain at a max size of 30 in the new GHB based on some youtube images.

I think this will be my list with the new GHB, just not sure whether to have one unit of 30 Eternal Guard for a 1 drop army or to go 1x20 and 1x10 for more flexibility and be at 2 drops. Could also go 2x10 and get some endless spells. Although Quicksilver Swords and Aethervoid Pendulum both got increases of 10 points to their cost.

Allegiance: Wanderers
Nomad Prince (80)
- Artefact: Forget-me-knot 
Spellweaver (100)
- Blows of Mystic Power
Waywatcher (120)
- General
- Trait: Masterful Hunter 
Waywatcher (120)
Wayfinder (80)
- Artefact: Starcaster Longbow 
20 x Sisters of the Watch (320)
10 x Sisters of the Watch (160)
20 x Wildwood Rangers (240)
30 x Eternal Guard (210)
10 x Wild Riders (200)
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (210)
Waystone Pathfinders (160)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 135

• Like 2

Looking for some suggestions on potential conversions after pick up a sizeable Wood Elf force, I tried souping it all into a GA: Order list but with the complete lack of interest GW are showing in any of the older Wood Elf models, i've decided to focus on trying to build up a decent Wanderers list.

Models are as follows;
(Wood Elf)
11 Wardancer
5 Waywatchers
8 Glade Riders
2 Warhawk Riders
1 Shadowdancer

(Wanderers)
1 Wayfinder
1 Waystrider
1 Waywatcher
24 Glade Guard

I was thinking of potentially converting the Glade Riders into some sort of Wild Riders/Sister of the Thorn, really unsure of what else to do with the models, any ideas?

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

I'm thinking about slotting in a Treelord for my 2k list - he's cheap and fighty, and his stomp works really well with our fragile but hard-hitting units. Might also go Bow Kurnoth for additional shooting to whittle things down, but I think they'll suffer from not getting rerolls of 1 from an Arch-Revenant. It's really nice to have options! :D

• Thanks 1

Hello all, I've been reading along in the shadows. Great reading - thanks for all the comments which for me is guidance. Here is my list with the points changes taken into account. Decisions based partly on the models I like and because I've been building this up for almost two years and I'd like to get it finished soon. 

LEADERS
Archmage on Dragon (320)
- Magestaff
- Allies
Nomad Prince (80)
- General
- Command Trait : Stalker of the Hidden Paths 
- Artefact : Obstinate Blade
Spellweaver (100)
- Heartwood Staff
Waywatcher (120)
Waywatcher (120)
Waystrider (80)
- Artefact : Relic Blade
UNITS
10 x Eternal Guard (70)
10 x Eternal Guard (70)
30 x Glade Guard (360)
10 x Sisters of the Watch (160)
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (210)
5 x Wild Riders (100)
BATTALIONS
Waystone Pathfinders (160)
ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN
Emerald Lifeswarm (50)

What do you think. Not super competitive but it'll be fun to play with? 

Sam

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hagbean said:

(Wood Elf)
11 Wardancer
5 Waywatchers
8 Glade Riders
2 Warhawk Riders
1 Shadowdancer

I myself have turned some Wardancers into Wildwood Rangers. If you have a Wardancer drummer use that as the Musician, select another model you can clearly make the Wildwood Warden (unit champion), and if you can get something to mark the Standard Bearer (I used the Tree Revenant banner from a box I had around) you'll be all set with a unit of 10 Rangers.

The Waywatchers could be halfway to a unit of 10 Sisters of the Watch if you can get a few more models, or added to your Glade Guard to work towards a unit of 30 of those, or a number of them could be used as a Waywatcher hero model.

Using 5 of the Glade Riders as Wild Riders or even Sisters of the Thorn would be easy enough, or you could look at running mixed order and use them as the High Aelf Reavers (which are battleline).

Warhawk Riders don't line up with anything in the current Wanderer range, unfortunately. Maybe we get sweet killer eagle riders in the future and you can save them for that though! As a longshot you use them as allied Swifthawk Agents Skycutters.

The Shadowdancer really just needs a bird and a shield to be a full wysiwyg Nomad Prince conversion; I've been planning to do that with my Shadowdancer. Alternatively, you could just use her as-is as a Spellweaver with staff. Both the Spellweaver and Prince are solid heroes to have.

shadowprince.jpg.d52cfb168cc47dd72fb94be471fb4a9b.jpg

• LOVE IT! 1

15 hours ago, awcamawn said:

Warhawk Riders don't line up with anything in the current Wanderer range, unfortunately. Maybe we get sweet killer eagle riders in the future and you can save them for that though! As a longshot you use them as allied Swifthawk Agents Skycutters.

to expand upon this, 2 warhawk riders could be based together on 1 base to fit the theme of a single skycutter with bows. you could also use the waywatchers perhapps mixed with some wardancers (to get 10 elves) as swift hawk shadowblades and use the 2 warhawk riders as a skywarden to buff them and the reavers (add one to wound rolls).

Aditionally you could use the 2 warhawk riders as reavers (as i think those are in batches of 5 so you would have 10 if you use 8 glade riders and 2 warhawks)

• Like 1

On 6/16/2019 at 4:50 PM, Hagbean said:

Looking for some suggestions on potential conversions after pick up a sizeable Wood Elf force, I tried souping it all into a GA: Order list but with the complete lack of interest GW are showing in any of the older Wood Elf models, i've decided to focus on trying to build up a decent Wanderers list.

Models are as follows;
(Wood Elf)
11 Wardancer
5 Waywatchers
8 Glade Riders
2 Warhawk Riders
1 Shadowdancer

(Wanderers)
1 Wayfinder
1 Waystrider
1 Waywatcher
24 Glade Guard

I was thinking of potentially converting the Glade Riders into some sort of Wild Riders/Sister of the Thorn, really unsure of what else to do with the models, any ideas?

also is there a reason you aren't using your waywatchers as actual waywatchers (120point hero)

23 minutes ago, Turin Turambar said:

to expand upon this, 2 warhawk riders could be based together on 1 base to fit the theme of a single skycutter with bows. you could also use the waywatchers perhapps mixed with some wardancers (to get 10 elves) as swift hawk shadowblades and use the 2 warhawk riders as a skywarden to buff them and the reavers (add one to wound rolls).

Aditionally you could use the 2 warhawk riders as reavers (as i think those are in batches of 5 so you would have 10 if you use 8 glade riders and 2 warhawks)

Thanks for this, i'll do some warscroll reading 

4 minutes ago, Turin Turambar said:

also is there a reason you aren't using your waywatchers as actual waywatchers (120point hero)

Good point, i'll see which of them has the most hero-like qualities

My thoughts on the lack of rules might be because of the new grand alliance books that were revealed a while back. Might be all the minor factions are cobbled together in there with mini dexes. Regardless excited to get started on my wanderers now that I'll have some updated points this weekend

Hello Generals!

Long time reader here. Now that i have collected army and played some (two) games i wanted to discuss something with you guys.

Protective Volley

So... - My basic tactic is evolving around PV battalion ability. Considering we got average 4* turns of shooting, what are yours recommendations for maximasing Protective Voolley potential?

We all know becouse of 12" range, Nomad Prince needs to be in charge range for PV to happen, and you have to activate it in Hero phase, which means it requires at least one turn of setup - and SOLID unit around NP so he cant be killed in enemy combat turn. 

For NP i use Myst Walker command ability, which seems like custom made for PV.  Stalker of the Hidden Paths is tempting for sure, BUT - it requires general staying close to edge - which effectively limit Protective Volley potential - and put alot of risk on our 5 wounds general, and limit my objective holding/attacking options

Id be really glad to read about your experiences and ideas on this, and how you are making most out of protective volley.

Cheers!

• Like 1

New list of Wanderer models I now own;

99 glade guard
20 eternal guard
4 spellweaver
2 wayfinder
2 waystrider
2 waywatcher
2 nomad prince (1 kitbashed from shadowdancer)
20 sisters of the thorn

Came up with the following list:
I'VE APPLIED NEW GHB 2019 POINTS TO THE LIST

Leaders
Nomad Prince (80)
- General
- Trait: Myst Walker 
Spellweaver (100)
- Heartwood Staff
Wayfinder (80)
Waystrider (80)
Waywatcher (120)

Battleline
20 x Glade Guard (240)
20 x Glade Guard (240)
20 x Glade Guard (240)
20 x Glade Guard (240)

Units

Battalions
Waystone Pathfinders (160)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 125

Haven't put artefacts in there just yet, but how does that list look?

Can anyone suggest alternatives with the units I have? Is the Battalion a guaranteed pick? If not what should my list look like? 

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Alexispolux said:

My thoughts on the lack of rules might be because of the new grand alliance books that were revealed a while back. Might be all the minor factions are cobbled together in there with mini dexes. Regardless excited to get started on my wanderers now that I'll have some updated points this weekend

Common misconception, those books aren't new "grand alliance" books. They just battletomes for each alliance. So for example a new Order faction, a new Death faction, a new Chaos and Destruction factions.

Currently I don't think these have been revealed (unless Fyreslayers count for order)